Be me

>be me
>one week ago
>decide, fuck it, I'm sick of building web apps, I'm going to make a game
>going to give myself 7 days to do it
>needs to be something different, not just a clone

I just released AstroMiner (Android) and I'd like some feedback from my boys. This is my first attempt at a game. Sure the art isn't up to much, I'm a coder not an art guy.

play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ProbeGames.AstroMiner

If any artists want to team up and take over the world, hit me up.

Other urls found in this thread:

play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ProbeGames.AstroMiner
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>off by one error: 6665

bemp

what is the goal ?

looks fun but i dont have a phone made for apps

The goal is there is no goal. No, in all seriousness my plan is to allow players to build up their space station using the materials they collect (that's why the station screen seems underdeveloped). I get that just mining to upgrade your ship so you can mine more isn't enough. What do you think of the mining mechanics?

is the gif all there is to it?

Heart react

The gif is the bulk of the gameplay. I'm basically putting it out there early (gave myself 7 days to build something). I want to see if it's worth continuing development on or if I should move onto my next project.

Thanks man!

Nice but in my screen it's cutted. I can't read the green numbers above

Anytime dude

What device you on /bro?

i suggest you add in like "watch ad for x resource"
small button in top right,
"distress signal, watch video for x resource"
NO microtrans and NO forced ad

Nice, I like that. Great idea. I'm working on a better system for selecting asteroids (rather than just text). Maybe on the new asteroid selection screen display the distress signal? You watch a video and are taken to a larger more mineral rich asteroid (maybe based on the resources you are low on? Would that work?

but make it like worth the ad, 1/6th of selected upgrade, or upgrades that are a HUGE upgrade

upgrades that you can only get through ads
like 10 ads for 10x current total gain with a 5hr cooldown per ad maybe
upgrade to reduce cooldown timer 20 ads
increase beam by 1 slot for five ads, increase by 2 for 10 more

upgrades that you get after say 5hrs of ingame time, 10hrs, 30hrs etc...
experience based upgrades, like after 20 individual asteroids automatically make satellite and beam faster, after 20hrs ingame + say 100 asteroids, 48hr cooldown, annhiliation beam: 1 entire asteroid for 15min of slow laser and satellite

I'm considering having the station screen as a 'base builder' screen. You can build up your station using the resources you mine, unlocking manufacturing etc. Do you guys think this is worth implementing?

>play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ProbeGames.AstroMiner
im making a game soon too

The target orbit doesn't need to be an asteroid, it could be an enemy base (attacking another player's station eventually). Think the current mining screen but with another player's station as the target.

i dont recommend developing game apps. mobile gamers are terrible, they will rate your game 1/10 if they find the slightest problem and it will stick around forever regardless if you fix it or not. they will think you are raping them if you dare to charge 2 bucks instead of 1 buck for the game. they will rate 1/10 if you cripple the light version even the slightest compared to the non-free version. terrible people to deal with.

I've built this in Unity, could build for PC and go for greenlight once I've developed it more. I thought if I go for mobile first its an easy way to get it to users and receive valuable feedback.

pc games that were originally mobile games lose sales because of (justified) anti-mobile prejudice.

this
time and resource based repairs with an option 5x resource to finish now
easy and common resource
"20 copper + 15min"
"100 copper finish now"
also this, except unjust

>except unjust
How so? The vast majority of western mobile games are crap, it's justified to to expect them to be.

Gotta love the reviews

What program did you use

Built in Unity using C#.

because they arent developed with people passionate about their jobs like this guy appears to be

it seems like the moment anyne comes up with anything original it gets tossed because it doesnt conform to "normality"

I never said his game was crap or that he didn't care, I said that general expectation for mobile games to be shit is justified.

I like the concept. I have an lgg4 and the screen bounds arnt alligned correctly missing text from top pf screen.

i never thought you did, i was just explaining why most mobile to desktop games are generally bad or biased

I know why they're bad, but that doesn't really matter to my point that it's entirely justified to expect a mobile game to be trash. Passionate developers like OP are the reason good ones get recognized and gain a following, but "originally released on Android/iOS" scares people away, and for good reason.

as an ex-developer in the games industry, my main criticism is that I cant see any unique selling point that you can market to appeal to customers.

its very, very generic.

Should I halt mobile development and work on turning this into a fully-featured game to release on steam?

Obviously there's a lot of work to do to get to that point. I would go for a Rimworld-like space station building approach, where resources are obtained via mining expeditions (using the current mining system as the base for it). I've done a lot of the ground work for a simple persistent Universe where system and asteroid maps would remain persistent for all players. A players station could be moved around the Universe and is vulnerable to attacks from other players.

Or should I continue on the mobile route and keep things simple?

If you are really passionste go full pc. I think it would be a cool market to get into. I would back it.

Fair criticism. I'd class this as a demo at this point. I've put 7 days of development into this (2 of those days I never slept at all, other days was round the clock). I have a lot of ideas to build this out, I'm basically trying to get a feel for the direction to take it.

sounds dangerously like feature creep.

If I were you I'd use this as proof of concept, and look at drawing up a full design document for a future version which could be produced later on, with higher-quality art assets and a well-designed level of gameplay, with feedback from that proof of concept

do what you feel comfortable with

what i would do, if i were you is make the fully featured mobile then not port it to desktop, but make a counterpart that uses this to go along with it
like maybe the pc version is a planet hopper type where you explore to find the planet system you want to farm from

also, offline gainslike an upgradeable ai that starts out at 1/day and takes 5 days to level up from first playdate
then goes to maybe 5/day closed and .5/hr open

Goodjob

I actually started out with a vision to make a larger full-featured game but having little experience in game development I decided to take the mobile route. I wanted to go through the experience of releasing something and experiencing the process before tackling my 'masterpiece'. I think I'll continue with mobile development until I'm happy with this project and continue fleshing out my larger project in the background. Thanks anons.

i say ai, but i dont mean ai, just something that does its own thing and takes little to no user interaction
maybe it ties in with the system chart and reccomends a system to go to, not a forced decision, but like a helper, you dont need the help, but if you want to listen to it you can
or maybe click a button for what ai reccomends best route is

Im that frog dude

Maybe do a tutorial at the start of the game

Just want to say, you anons have been great and have given me a lot to think about. Everyone I know irl has told me not to be stupid and continue my web development career but I don't want to be a web developer, it's depressing, shit and I hate clients. I want to build games and I'll risk everything doing so if that's what it takes. If you want to follow my progress and see where things go look me up on twitter @Probe_Games

Thanks for the feedback user!

so will you add "jlkkljh" to credits? jw bc ive never been credited for anything, and i would like to help out with dev if you want
was all me
the ai litterallt shows an arrow of what to do, and thats how it starts out then it upgrades to text
"hey there! sorry about a few days ago, i was that arrow, i hope you remember me. im an ai, and i was simple a few days ago, but now i can talk!"

Watch this space. I'll put a special thanks to "jlkkljh" in the credits, why not. I will take your credit virginity.

Hey man you gotta do what makes you happy. Might help to build up some money through web development, but when you get the chance take it. Hope to see you succeed in the future.

Thanks man!

I'd love to make games as well user but I've the creativity of a moose, and i dont know dick about coding. So I'll support your game making instead.

:D
>tfw your virginity was taken in such a great way
>>uuuuhhhhhhhhh