youtube.com/watch?v=VAo4J0-Ynm4
youtube.com/watch?v=ZBJ-MmTA-eU
youtube.com/watch?v=WSmKGuuODKk
youtube.com/watch?v=uco5FNbjqv0
oregonlive.com/music/index.ssf/2014/02/bob_dorough_miles_davis.html
youtube.com/watch?v=LDbeVB4admk
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>What have you been listening to?
Took a listen to Coltrane's Africa/Brass last night.
>What'd you think of it?
I remember when I was first getting into jazz, I was kind of associating it in my head with Ole era stuff. I hadn't listened to it for something like 3 years, and I didn't think it'd be anything too spectacular, thinking it was gonna be kinda vamp based modal stuff.
Glad I gave it a listen though, it was way fucking better than I remembered. It's like Coltrane's take on Miles' big band stuff with Gil.
>Heard anything cool from this year?
I have, but haven't been listening to anything new of late.

bump

An user posted this today and it got archived before I got around to listening to it, but I am right now. It's pretty awesome. Spotify says it's jazz/math rock fusion and that seems fitting enough. Anything else like this?

Also, this has been my favorite jazz album for a month probably. I really dig how they incorporated some Japanese sounds without straying too far from american jazz.

that's a cool cover

rec me some cool jazz album covers

Any Indian influenced jazz? i already know Alice Coltrane and India meets Jazz

Miles From India is pretty good.

Check out Mouse on the Keys.

Was listening to Ellington's Blues in Orbit just now, going to do some Don Cherry now
>What'd you think of it?
Blues in Orbit is one of my fav jazz albums. Don't know what to expect of Don Cherry yet, didn't really like Eternal Rhythm, think I'm going to try his s/t.

I haven't actually listened to a single 2017 release, any recs?

>I haven't actually listened to a single 2017 release, any recs?
jtg has a pretty good list going
rateyourmusic.com/collection/jazzthreadguy/strm_relyear,ss.rd/2017

why /jazz/ general suck jtg's dick so much? just curious

not trying to suck his dick but his rym is a bretty good resource for finding new jazz releases

any good books about jazz that aren't biographies?

Geoff dyer's but beautiful. It's like a fictional briography. Dude writes in a very poetic way some short stories about jazz legends such as powell, mingus, young - which are not exactly factual -. Anyway, I'd rec it.

this is real good

GOAT album here

listening to the op rn
pretty much the only one i listen to other than a love supreme

youtube.com/watch?v=4D8YPDdsxYU

I can't figure out the term for what I'm into
I thought it was blues but that doesn't quite seem right
smooth jazz tends to be too smooth or (more often) not smooth enough
Pandora seems to call it "Cool Jazz"
the best example I can give of it is Houston Person

I was impressed with this one.

Attias, Aruan Ortiz, John Hebert, and Nasheet Waits

I'm listening now Bitches Brew

Cool,i'm actually in the first song so i can't give a concrete opinion but,just for that start this album derserves a "cool".

I went and saw the Wayne Shorter Quartet at SF Jazz on Friday. It was phenomenal. I was stoned out of my mind, the first time in a few weeks, and the music was evocative and inventive. Danilo Perez was playing the piano and John Patitucci was on the upright bass, forgot the drummer's name but she was skilled.
It wasn't like most of the jazz I've heard, which is hard bop, it was more abstract and focused in its emotions whereas I feel like hard bop can be music you listen to in a smokey 1950's club.
does anyone know other abstract, intense jazz works?

In a Silent Way is better tbqh. Bitches Brew is good though

youtube.com/watch?v=f14rce8sAYk

Brian Blade is the drummer with the WS Quartet btw

Which you prefere,Kind of Blue or Bitches Brew?

Bitches Brew. Kind of Blue is obviously amazing but Bitches Brew is really unique and more interesting than Kind of Blue. A lot of it is very moody and has an almost dreamlike (and in some parts nightmarish) atmosphere that I love.

mouse on they keys have been my favorite band for the past while. i'm glad you mentioned them because now i have a backreference for this jazz/math rock fusion

Best book on jazz I've ever read, though it probably won't be of much interest to you unless you play jazz

forgot the picture

this is my favorite book on jazz ive read but its very specifically about the black new york free jazz scene from like 1970 til 2002. theres also some commentary on wynton marsalis and the ken burns documentary that was happening around the time he wrote it which is interesting. i dont know if the guys a good writer or anything but i thought he was funny and he basically just tells you what albums to check out.

bump

it was a female drummer playing

Would never have known

Looks cool

thoughts on polish jazz?

I exclusively listen to Jelly Roll Morton era stuff and before.
I'm not even sure if this should be called jazz. It's so different than the post-war rubbish

How can you stand these loose forms?

Terri Lyne Carrington, I believe

pls respond

Because there's a lot more to music than just form

it's cool, but the roster of players is limited and the albums rare to find.
some excellent albums, tho

daily pat metheny appreciation postg

it's been a while since I last went on a jazz binge. Listening to pic related, and absolutely loving it.

Anyone got more recs (apart from more sun ra)?

(the bits i like less from the album are the more conventional jazz 'covers', but as soon as it starts getting a bit out of hand I really dig it. I also really liked the black saint and the sinner lady, fwiw.)

jazz newfag here
can anyone tell me anything about this record that I might want to know?
my first sun ra album, too

I'd recommend starting with Sun Ra's more tame stuff like Jazz in Silhouette or Sleeping Beauty

lots of good jazz from Poland, but you don't hear about new releases that much apart from Tomasz Stanko

is there some good way of keeping up with new Polish releases?

check out this
jazzforum.com.pl/main/recenzje-cd
btw the polish yass group "Łoskot" apparently just reunited this month: loskot.org/

s'goooood

>I went and saw the Wayne Shorter Quartet at SF Jazz on Friday. It was phenomenal. I was stoned out of my mind, the first time in a few weeks, and the music was evocative and inventive. Danilo Perez was playing the piano and John Patitucci was on the upright bass, forgot the drummer's name but she was skilled.

Very cool! Was he performing Emanon with Casco Philharmonic? I will see him in July, where he will be performing Emanon, his new album.

Cool, thanks

Various albums from the mid 50s. Yesterday was Study in Brown and Afro-Cuban, today will be Jutta Hipp with Zoot Sims and Saxophone Colossus, possibly something else too if I feel like it.

>What'd you think of it?
Study in Brown was better than I remembered, great album actually. Afro-Cuban is kind of average, not much to say about it really.

Olli Hirvonen - New Helsinki
youtube.com/watch?v=VAo4J0-Ynm4

A very solid contender for my personal jazz AOTY.

Impeccable taste, one of my all-time favorite jazz albums.

>not posting the gif
Arguably the coolest thing about that album.

going to see Metheny with Gwilym Simcock on piano, Linda Oh on bass and Antonio Sanchez on drums - the Unity Group was surprisingly good, so looking forward to it

this was cool as fuck. is the rest of the album this good?

>Jazz is a disharmonious anti-music that celebrates lust, sleaziness, drunkenness and every other abhorrent social filth. Jazz is nigger music.
what did he mean by this?

youtube.com/watch?v=ZBJ-MmTA-eU - wynton is a fuckbitch but this is such a good set

youtube.com/watch?v=WSmKGuuODKk

youtube.com/watch?v=uco5FNbjqv0

I've been listenting to Al Di Meola lately
He is kinda boring

A lot of Jimmy Giuffre lately. His blues-based folk jazz is so relaxing to listen to while also sounding very original thanks to the instrumentation (Jim Hall on guitar, Bob Brookmeyer on trombone). What his trio and quartet played in 1961-65 sounds so fresh 50 years later.

>Sun Ra - Sleeping Beauty
>I look it up

This is why I come to Sup Forums

wading though all the shit is worth it

Why is Nothing Like You even on here? It was recorded 5 years earlier with a different lineup and doesn't compliment the rest of the tracks on the album at all. I'd have prefered if the quintet had just done a half assed jam if they needed to fill time.

well, singer Bob Dorough has no idea
oregonlive.com/music/index.ssf/2014/02/bob_dorough_miles_davis.html

but did you know that the singer is the same guy who did Schoolhouse Rock music?
youtube.com/watch?v=LDbeVB4admk

How can an album be so free but still be so melodically beautiful? Cecil's got the touch, motivic development and elegance of Keith Jarrett and the ferocity of Tony Williams.

This was absolutely unreal

been listening to this non-stop for the past week