Does having higher intelligence lead to depression? Or maybe not depression, but lose the ability to have fun?

Does having higher intelligence lead to depression? Or maybe not depression, but lose the ability to have fun?

>this might apply to me

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=OijcbU4Vbys
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

being an asshole leads to depression, or maybe the inability to have fun.

Kinda. But you can be book smart and street smart and just wish ignorance upon yourself in lots of areas and it makes life not quite as bad. Just try and live in the now, focus on doing the task at hand to the best of your ability, and shit will be alright.

Distancing oneself from the world and having trouble enabling social contacts are causalites brothers.

Though, not every special depressing snowflake is someone more clever than the pack.
To check yourself about this real fast : are you more intelligent than people when going on the same subjects (including those that do not interest you) or do you only feel intelligent because you think you know more about matters that others do not care about ?

kek

OP here. I didn't mean intelligent as in "knowledge" of matters or topics, but just simply having a high IQ and the ability to process things much faster than others, which leads to knowing the outcomes of certain situations before most other people.

When you're smart enough you realize depression is just a state of mind that you can alter at any time with ease. And how pointless it is to care about things like feelings

If youre actually smart, you would know how to have fun.

but without feelings, you're not a human bruh, otherwise you'd be a robot in a human body

OP here. I just realized I'm a faggot and trying to seek validation on an anonymous internet image board by alluding to the fact that I'm smarter than the rest of you :/

ask a psychologist lol

Not in the way that you mean it. People with higher intelligence may not find fulfillment in a mediocre life. You need to be successful. You need to use your intelligence to accomplish things. Having a high intellect with no use for it will lead to depression.

nope but having lower intelligence does

Why does everyone on Sup Forums think they have higher than average intelligence? The opposite is clearly true.

I think it's about the community you are in. If you're intelligent you aren't going to want to be with "simple" people (who are psychologically predictable etc). Money does not help much. While having money is fun, and a luxury apartment is better than a cold damp one, it's not everything. To be happy I think you have to rise up there with the best, whether you're a Maths professor at Cambridge or a business guy at the Alpine Ranch.

>I'm so intelligent guys
>I can't figure out why I'm depressed so that I can work on it
Pick one

Not getting pussy is the cause of your depression.

It's funny how it puts stupid people on the defensive.

this one hundred thousand times

Exactly. And if you were intelligent you would know how to get some pussy.

not really... lower intelligence people just go to work and weekend to party and dont givin a shit about society / political problems. There tend to be more selfish and so there are more focused on easy things. So stupid people are easier to please and i think happier with a normal life.

This guy gets it.

Yes. There are confirmed studies on this (at universities and on the internet). Smart people are usually more serious and analyze everything, thus making it harder for them to socialize and making things awkward sometimes. I have experience with this. Being super smart might actually be more of a burden than an advantage now that I think about it. Dumb people are more likely to give in to peer pressure and get together because they lack the ability to think for themselves. So maybe ignorance really is bliss. But hey, at least we are smart enough to possibly change and try to fix this.

spotted the edgy 17 year old who thinks he knows everything by the age of 20

Yes. I know this because alcohol. When drunk, I'm dumb and not depressed. When sober, I'm bored and always think about what the hell I'm doing with my life.

For you information I thought I knew everything by age of 15

This

I did not talk about knowledge neither.
Just wanted to be clear that being edgy is not being clever/fast-processing.

Again : yes, of course, being different from people makes bonding with them difficult. Having higher expectations makes acting more difficult.

high intelligence in book smarts does.
high levels of street smarts do not.

This. I do this too. I literally think about everything have thought about becoming a philosopher

>I literally think about everything
>Literally
>Everything
Intelligence is overrated

If you're so smart just figure out a way to be happy

Stupid faggot

They are just so boring, mostly just drinking with a few jokes every week. They are stimulated by bullshit media and getting laid, and those problems are always solved for smarter people. They also don't seem to go be going anywhere in life, so you don't get any value like you would hanging out with smart people. On the positive side if you've been cooped up all month it's good to get out and the barrier for entry is really low.

Dissed by Scooby-Doo. Damn son

na, you're just a looser.

And thats bad because?

>Looser
Well, he is OP after all.

>Implying you got a high IQ

You know the "facepalm" feeling? imagine feeling that all evening.

What are you cringing about ? Something someone else did, or yourself ?

It's not good or bad, it just is. But you wouldn't be able to empathize with anybody. Imagine your mom or dad or someone you care about just died in a car crash, would you just be like "Oh, they just died. Ok. Gotta get back to my Xbox" And then not feel anything? I don't know about you, but fuck that

If you were that intelligent as you claimed, you would grasp that being without emotions is impossible. You could not make any decisions. And you don't have an eternity to analyze every possible outcome to everything

Being smart doesn't mean you can't have fun. I have a PhD in biochemistry and am married to a super intelligent woman I met in grad school who also has a PhD in biochemistry.

I'm a super nerd and I embrace it. I have a DnD groups I meet up with every week and we drink beers, smoke a little weed, and have a great time together.

I also race drones and meet up with about 40 other super nerdy and intelligent guys who build and race their own drones.

I'm intelligent and I have a great social life and lots of friends. I have fun all the time.

Higher intelligence does lead to sadder feelings.

But, as an intelligent person, you have to understand the problem and overcome it. Just like any other problem. You find a solution. So you can proactively choose to be happy. Even though you know the information about all the things that could give you cancer or make you sick. You should put time aside just for having fun where you don't care about the rules or warnings.

nobody asked

This fits my life

you're a fully functional man child who spends his excess income on little boy activities instead of growing up and manning up mentally/physically.
then you come to Sup Forums and talk about it like it's something praise worthy.
kek.

I don't know why but I love this picture

You aernt intelligent Op

You just have great Awareness

>I have fun all the time.
>And I spend my time bragging on 4chins how much fun I have all the time.
>I only wish I had more time to bragg due to all the fun I'm having

He was trying to get you to evaluate the objectivity of your self precived intelligence. A lot of people feel they are smarter than they actually are and some underestimate themselves. People are completely unreliable at determining the intelligence of themselves and frequently others.

As an example my comment might make people precieve me as intelligent when in fact I may just be some fag trying to make myself sound more intelligent than they're and am average af. My negros. Now who's gonna guess my IQ vs. there's?

Yes and no. Anyone can get depression, but having a higher intelligence can impose a higher risk so to speak because you can actually see the world for what it is.

agreed. yes because of what he said, and no because you're smart enough to do something about it

this

>Now who's gonna guess my IQ vs. there's?
>there's
Sure I'll take a guess.

>this might apply to me

Indeed.
Nice post though, you sound 190+mensa

>Girls.png
lel

Yeah. If your IQ is over 130, there's a good chance it does apply to you. Mine is around 125, so I have fun :p

That's the only grammar error you found in my comment?

>125
Once you reach 420 IQ-oes is when all the fun starts

Nice dubs

I own my own house and probably make more money than you. My job has taken me to Europe twice in the past year as a paid consultant for setting up new genetics labs.

Yeah, I have fun on the weekends doing nerdy shit, but I'm in no way a manchild. How many manchildren can take their girl to Amsterdam for her birthday?

youtube.com/watch?v=OijcbU4Vbys

George Carlin was smart. He was able to realize that your house really is just a box with a cover on it, and a place where you put your stuff. And that people just walk around moving shit from place to place. That's all we do.

It's the one that triggers me the most. I immediately went into an autistic trance by tightening all of my sphincters

Actually my mother died when I was young, I got angry for a few days but that was about it.

Why could you not make decisions based on just logic and facts? It's not hard.

Yes it does... but i wont trade it with nothing. Is better to know...

This is true to an extent. Metal illness and IQ have been statistically proven. But any kind causation or explanation is pure speculation. However, I do agree that intelligence leads to over analyzing which can lead to metal issues; but on the other hand that's not exactly an academically valid claim.
Interesting research has been done in neurology, specifically the parts of the brain that are associated with the sympathetic nervous system and the parasympathetic nervous systems, which suggests that some mental illnesses leads to an inability to "filter" information. I think that this might be suggestive of the relationship as you explained it.

That's a nice birthday present, user. Amsterdam is beautiful.

NO.
how do i know?
because you dont know the different between corrolative and causational relationships.
Or how to do scholarly research.

You are depressed because you are one of the dumb niggers on the brain board who thinks they are smart but are a dumb nigger.

That or either way the solution is as follows:
1. stop trying to evaluate your intellect, that is for others who are not you to decide.
2. start doing something productive, like robotics, computer science, theoretical physics, masonry, engineering, or whatever the fuck you think works for you, do it as a hobby instead of wasting your life away in this hell-hole.
3. if you want, do a hobby that requires helping hands and make some friends. How do you make friends? 1. (optional) get a frontal lobotomy so you have no concept of social consequence 2. confront random strangers on the street, start with small talk and then F.O.R.D (Family, Occupation, Recreation, D). Have a mission, have them help you move something or do something together, cognitive dissonance takes effect so they assume that they are helping you because they want to be friends and ensure there is no reward for helping you except the knowledge that they helped you). Once you have made some friends you should have them help you with whatever hobby whenever you need some help, make sure to talk at the same time with them. keep this up and you should soon get out of the depression, as you will stop worrying so much about yourself and your waste of a life, and will be progressing towards a meaningful goal with the aid of people that might matter to you.

this. threads like this make me cringe. op is probably a fat neet that owns six fedoras, wondering why no girl will ever love him.

Correlation** between

Why six?

>productive
>Theoretical physics
Laughinggirls.png.exe

just some arbitrary number that came to my mind first.

I'm sure if you looked just slightly below the surface you would see that it might not have been so arbitrary as you initially assumed.

no such thing as higher intelligence, only stupid people and stupider people.

>stop trying to act smart and just have fun kid

A PhD doesn't make you smart it makes you determined. What needs to be accomplished to attain one is simply the discipline and determination (not to mention funds) to acquire it, not that being intelligent isn't a great asset.

I'm not trying to take away your accomplishments a PhD is not an easy thing to achieve and I admire the resolve and dedication but to say that because you achieved that level of education it's proof of your intellectual prowess is arguably a false correlation.

same

and what's that supposed to mean?

Yeah I just had a small break down over this same thing not too long ago. Been under a shit ton of stress recently in law school and it manifested itself after hanging around a group of people my age. It finally dawned on me that I just don't get people, I never have, and I likely never will. I thought that perhaps with age or going further in education, I would eventually find people who had the same thought process and/or speed. Really messed with me for a few days in the middle of the night and I had to take walks to just clear my head.

My problem is I just don't find things fun that most other people would. I don't care for having to dress up and go out to impress anyone. I don't care about doctoring myself up to look appealing to others (granted I can't stand bad hygiene but I don't go above and beyond the necessities/niceties). And I just don't get fashion. If it's comfortable, I wear it. End of story. My idea of a good time is a solid book and maybe chilling with a handful of close friends. Anything more is sensory overload as I process everything happening around me.

I don't believe in IQ as defining your life because it just seems too simple to reduce human intelligence to a number but I have taken a test before for giggles and I scored around a 140 so there could be at least a mild link between that and this. Then again, some geniuses are extraordinarily social and have no problem with others.

This is a clown question bro.

The answer is having depression makes you have depression. If you're constantly disappointed in people and it makes it hard for you to talk to them: that is a problem with you, and you can fix it. If you act like a smug prick, think you know more than everyone and let it reflect in your behavior: they won't like you as much, it is a problem with you, and you can fix it.

Using "intellect" to justify lack of ability to connect is not only straight out of an edge-lord anime or sitcom (House MD et al), but any explanation you're going to puke out is going to stink like a hurt ego.

I hope this question was sincere, and that you're worried, and you actually want help for yourself to improve. More likely is that you have an inflated sense of intelligence, get off on that perception, and want to validate it.

Smart people don't fish for validation from a Mongolian recipe pictures forum of spergs. Justify it all you want kid, you just need to get over yourself and live.

Dude totally agree!!! I'm in gradschool right now, some people are straight up retarded. The only qualification for a PHD - time and money.. and well a BA or BS of course haha

while i believe there's a correlation, there's no scientific proof yet

I guaran fucking tee I am smarter than anyone in this thread and I'm not depressed. Maybe OP is just a bitch?

Ch-ch-check em out

I am the same down to the smallest detail regarding what you've described thus far and I am far, FAR from what would be regarded as intelligent.

What you are describing doesn't have to do much with intelligence but rather just personality flaws/quirks. Also, taking a "lolrandumb" test on the internet to gauge your IQ doesn't really matter at all.

What type of smarter are you?

My sides

Probably a dick joke bruv. There's nothing there and Sup Forums is full of 15 year old retards so it makes sense

Intellectual prowess, world awareness

There is evidence of correlation. Causation and explanation there is not.

fair enough

Hi /sci/

My intelligence affords me the social skills I need to interact with others, otherwise I would be fucked. I don't relate to others through empathy, that shit is fucking wack.

I like your answer

"I like your answer"
>shows empathy

I don't feel empathy either, my only friend just basically said he hated me 2 days ago and I feel nothing. He's one of those people who constantly needs validation by speaking to people on a daily basis. He told me to fuck off because I don't talk to him on a daily basis, and just write sarcastic stuff on His Facebook posts. I'm not a type of person who needs to speak to someone every day, I just enjoy being alone because people Piss me off, I just think differently than others I suppose.

Yes, it doesn't apply to you.