youtube.com/watch?v=LtmS2ePSSdU
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

First two CDs I ever bought for myself:

>System of a Down - Toxicity
>Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory

CUT MY LIFE INTO PIECES
I AM IN MIDDLE SCHOOL

Prog will pound it into your head to listen to albums the entire way through

This album was one of the first non hip-hop albums I listened to. Helped me branch out

Styx - Paradise Theater.

Laugh, but Dennis DeYoung is a genius, and James Young is an excellent guitarist. I wish the concept was stronger, but Shaw resisted at every creative turn. Truthfully Shaw's my least favorite member of Styx.

You already posted it, it was the album that made me listen to more full albums. This album is an honorary mention though.

Yes! After I first discovered prog, I would ONLY listen to albums from start to finish -- no single songs. I've since grown out of that habit but nothing beats sitting down and listening to a solid prog album every once in a while. Especially after smoking a bowl or two.

Anyone my age would agree

>Mellow Gold

Billy Joel - The Stranger

I still think it's a solid album.

Mine was ITAOTS I'm a fag

Got me into Drone

when I was 13

agreed, still holds a special place in my heart today.

pls don't make fun... I was 14

post malone nigga

desu senpai

got me into post rock

no pun intended

>inb4 i'm normie
my bro showed me smells like teen spirit when it got mainstream and i was like shit this is good
and so started my music journey
>mfw hearing close to the edge for the first time rite now

Was like 14 or 15 when my dad showed me. I loved to get drunk and listen to it, even if it did make me want to hang myself

I know this might sound corny, but thank you guys for replying; I've been feeling pretty bad in the recent days and having a somewhat decent conversation help me a lot. Thank you

why user tell us your problems :^) we may help

Sure man. Sup Forums isn't the best place for that, but I personally will try to make just about anyone feel a bit better. Hope things start looking up for you soon. Have a meme that made me laugh

The first album I bought was Jay-Z's Black Album

i don't really give a shit about punk music anymore but pic related and funeral by arcade fire started it for me way back when i was in high school. i was on the general discussion board of shoryuken reading some thread about music. i didn't know fuck all about what was going on but downloaded pretty much everything listed because i was an impressionable 14 year old at the time.

pic related is legit the only punk music i can listen, the rest is total trash.

DEARLY BELOVED ARE YOU LISTENING?

Agreed.

Contra- VW

What's wrong with that? It's a good album

Just saying

My mind exploded when I heard Black Star for the first time

Still pretty good.

This too. I'll always be a proghead at heart.

My older sister introduced this album to me back in early 2013. Pretty much changed my view on music. I remember being devastated when Lou Reed died later that year.

This

The moment when I decided that this would be my favorite album was when I started my pilgrimage to patricianhood.

Now all I listen to is prog

I'm still very new to music. I've literally only listened to radiohead and elliott smith. Not sure where to go from there. Recommendations?

My Bloody Valentine and Autechre.

Just stick with ES and hopefully you'll kill yourself soon

This was some life altering shit when I was 15. I still think the album holds up well, despite being loved by a lot of plebs.

I know that feel, although mine was the wall

>the rest is total trash
Fuck you m8, most 80s-90s post-hardcore is pretty good too

These guys were alright sometimes. I still listen to them every couple of months

the smiths and only the smiths like me
youtube.com/watch?v=LtmS2ePSSdU

Alternately something by Good Charlotte or Aaron Carter

I enjoyed that

>about to call underage rule 2
>realize grizzle bear and dirty project and other p4k shit is nearly a decade old by now

im too old for this place arent i? wow

OK Computer

Great album man. Some of the only actually good ska.

I still think it's great

This was unironically the first album that I got obsessed with and the one that paved my way for my love for music.

yeah man, time to move on.

i did not really have much of a taste in music at the time. when i was younger, i had listened to buttpunk i heard in runescape music videos, but hadn't been listening to that for several years by this point. i was a freshman in high school when this came out, and all my friends were talking about it, so i decided to listen to it, and i enjoyed it.
i had already been using Sup Forums for several years by then, so i clicked on Sup Forums to see if there were any threads about chance or the album, and needless to say, it was awful. this was right around when yeezus came out, so to the surprise of no one, the board was shitty and unusable. and to this day, it still hasn't changed!
deleted and reposted so i could actually post the right album

unironically

came to post this

Similar to Radiohead

The Cure.
The Smashing Pumpkins
Can

Similar to Elliot Smith
Nick Drake
Love
Neutral Milk Hotel

At the least, you'll understand a lot more of the discussions here.

first album i ever bought
i was 11 in 2003

I was a poor edgy 13 year old who finally found a piece of music he could connect with

Started my love affair with both Hip Hop and music in general. This was about 10 years ago now.

Blood Sugar Sex Magik
L.A. Woman

as well as

Not even memeing I swear

I barely even listen to Metal anymore, but this was the first album I ever bought myself and listened to all the way through

this too but i was 5 in 03. this was all over the airwaves in canada when i was growing up

unironically this

naisu

why would you be? it's a great album and I'm sure it's the same for a lot of people

This shit bumped in the Walkman in elementary school

>IIIIII LOOOVE YOOUU JEEESUUUS CHRRRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIISt

Not fucking kidding.

This was the year I started listening to the radio and his music was fucking everywhere

it was pretty good actually
tiny mix tapes gave it a good review
but i was jealous of the song every part of me because i had strict parents

Still love it

>similar to Radiohead
>The Cure
>Smashing Pumpkins
>Can

100%

My Dad gave it to me when I was like 5

Man Eminem in his hey-day was culturally omnipresent. I think he got a LOT of people into music. Especially considering the pop landscape when he came out, which was mostly very sugary pop. Eminem sounded like nothing else. I feel bad for the high-schoolers here who weren't there. By far the weirdest shit to ever get played on pop radio in my lifetime.

Always had my parents play it in the car when I was like 7

This is when they really started to come into their own, commercially and artistically.

From someone who always listened to death metal, death core, all the loud and noisy stuff, I always liked that massive attack Teardrop song. I listened to the album its from for the first time and that's where it all started.

Ya dude honestly, remember the first time I came on here and i was a shitty teenager I had no knowledge of music. I came and posted on here in like 2012? I was like 17, I got a friend to buy booze for that night for some reason and I wanted music suggestions andi got NMH. Good memories. I'm 21 now and I still look fondly back on me and my friends being obsessed. Sup Forums's kinda shit now that I'm 21, maybe i'm just an asshole now or it's gotten worse, or maybe it's always been this way and I didn't realise till now. Sorry for the blog

Back in 2001 or so. Got into metal and then branched out into other genres from there.

No it's definitely gotten worse. I've been here for 10 years. Not to say it was a LOT better before but it really was, for a variety of reasons.

I've been here for a little bit longer than you have.
It's always been shit.

damn, you think? Sup Forums posting wasn't always a thing. I miss people just getting pissed at music not fucking nu-males or politics or whatever. I don't know, don't they have a board for that?

lol
who in the world is introduced to metal with Manowar?

fuck off cuck

This and pic related are mine

Great album, I rarely see anything about them on here

see what I mean? fuck

You taught me how to live.

jesus.

Sup Forums is certainly the main reason why this place is worse, but to be honest there was always a cancerous undercurrent here. The thing was it was previously restricted to Sup Forums. How Sup Forums worked for most people, and for me, was you started out on Sup Forums because it's what Sup Forums was famous for, and you usually started very young (13-16). And then when you got older and the charm of that place wore off you branched out and developed interests like video games or sports or what have you.

NOW what happens is these people do not grow out of the entry-level cancer humor and even worse they bring it to other boards. You think I care about the stuff that happens on Sup Forums? Of course not. But I care deeply when it starts infecting my two main boards (Sup Forums and Sup Forums). I would love to be a janitor (go ahead and laugh) because I've been here for so long and care about it so much that I want to be part of the solution since obviously our current jannies and mods just don't care about the website. Ok that's my rant.

it wouldn't have happened if you weren't a massive faggot