UGK - Ridin Dirty
Denzel Curry - Imperial

/thread

Smif-n-Wessun - Dah Shinin
Black Moon - Enta Da Stage
Jeru da Damaja - The Sun Rises In The East

These guys really seem to me like a predecessor of rappers like Curren$y

Bumpin

Big up BCC, so underrated. As far as east coast goes, nothing really compares for that brooklyn feeling beatminerz production gives you

Some more good 90s shit
O.G.C - Da Storm
Das EFX - Dead serious
Channel Live - Station Identification
gravediggaz - 6 feet deep

And for more modern underground NY
flatbush zombies - BetterOffDEAD
the underachievers - indigoism
CJ Fly -Thee Way Eye See It

Not sure if it can be counted as underground anymore but joey badass - 1999 is nice

And to keep thread bumped, have a dope sean price, rockness monsta & buckshot cypher

youtube.com/watch?v=UR-ndBko8TQ

Gza - Liquid Swords

This
THIS FFS

Here's something more modern. Don't bother listening to their newest album, though.

Pic related is mad underrated, by far the grimiest production on a wu tang solo album

Ka - Knights gambit is great, you'll like it if you like Reloaded. He has the same minimal type production.

this might be my favorite Kool Keith project.

youtube.com/watch?v=v3f35ah20-I

it's up there for sure.

If you haven't heard Company Flow - Funcrusher Plus do yourself a favor and look it up

>Tim Dog
In It For The Cash
youtube.com/watch?v=l91KHLkjL2A

Fuck Comptom
youtube.com/watch?v=RRfhHL6ckZo

>Big Daddy Kane
youtube.com/watch?v=9VUJDNA2kPc

>Pharoahe Monch
Simon Says
youtube.com/watch?v=T7Fy5w2klbg

>Tim Dog + Kool Keith (Ultra)
youtube.com/watch?v=sajEFSpoxHI

youtube.com/watch?v=XML6uXIYvTE

i'm a rap nerd from New York, i know CoFlow already.

Tim Dog!!
not a good rapper, but a great one.

People always forget about Tim Dog.

>Intelligent Hoodlum
Street (Return Of The Life Mix)
youtube.com/watch?v=gz063VuORVs

Black and Proud
youtube.com/watch?v=vXT4nYvDr30

should have linked this one
youtube.com/watch?v=R5NyPVqOHbs

Tim Dog is mad underrated, I've never heard in it For the Cash. Great production on that one.
youtube.com/watch?v=xiHpAXMGYNg
Dumpin some other early Eastcoast favorites
youtube.com/watch?v=vCn7nVOV4wM
youtube.com/watch?v=HILMELpc9lI
youtube.com/watch?v=K9GoeO2FmNw

Yeah it's on a rare ep.
He fucking rekts snoop
youtube.com/watch?v=zXRJ6qcqUAs

maybe the greatest collection of DJ Premier beats ever.
the rapping is... pretty rough, but it's kind of charming (or at least Malachi is).

youtube.com/watch?v=N_y1ZbBpvOI

Shit there's a lot of versions of this track
youtube.com/watch?v=WkWVs5LfrE4

euro whitey here

how to tell apart east coast from west coast from the sound alone? are there some differences in accents of emcees that I'm not aware of? because from what I heard separating them on the basis of the beat aesthetic is kind of bullshit, even in the golden age. you got jazz rap, gangsta and gritty shit and so on on both sides. they're about just as diverse seemingly is what I'm saying. what's the catch?

Wow, he's barely the same rapper as when he worked with CNN. I actually like it a lot better.

Yeah, I'd heard Bitch with a Perm

The lines blur a lot, but the west coast uses more funk beats and the rappers are looser and used more double time flows. The Eastcoast rappers tended to be more monotone and use grittier beats. Compare Enter the Wu Tang to the Chronic. The early westcoast stuff has a lot of eastcoast influence, and the differences now are pretty superficial, but for a long time rappers from new york were reticant to adopt a lot of the innovations of westcoast rappers, which still exists today in the whole "real hip hop" Joey Bada$$ type stuff.

I always thought that The Chronic sounds the way it sounds because it's well... g-funk. it's a certain style obviously, of course it's going to sound different from east coast stuff. I don't particularly like it either way.

Enter the Wu-Tang on the other hand has always been some kind of a strong reference point for me amongst others as it's one of my favorite albums of all time and back when I heard 93 Til Infinity (the album) for the first time I was extremely surprised that it's NOT from east coast (up until that point I associated boom bap exclusively with east coast though so maybe that's where the problem is) I still can't tell what makes them west coast besides the geographical difference. I had never any problem telling the southern hip hop apart though, because well... generally there are actual audible differences which don't make this classification in particular arbitrary bullshit.

and if joey bada$$ is this much of a "real hip hop" advocate then no wonder why he sucks so much wew

Basically Boom Bap was eastcoast and G Funk was west coast. It probably wasn't called boom bap back when it came out, it was just hip hop, and the west coast style ditched a lot of the traditional hip hop elements, it relied less on sampling and turntablism and more on live instrumentation. Also, the eastcoast rappers tend to hug the beat a bit more, whereas the westcoast guys were often a lot looser. Of course there were acts that crossed over stylistically, this is an east coast rapper from 1993
youtube.com/watch?v=dQ120j3quJU
Even in the south there was groups like Odd Squad, Y'all so Stupid and Arrested Development that basically sounded like A Tribe Called Quest.

Like i said though, over time the styles have sort of homogenized over time, through artists influencing each other. I think the main reason that the idea still exists now is just that the music press uses regionalism to market artists and people from different places still sound different. But yeah, especially with the internet styles merge together so quickly its almost pointless to bring it up.
like how quickly reverybody sounded like migos all of a sudden.