Sup Sup Forums

Sup Sup Forums,

Why are people in the USA and Western Europe so confident that nothing will ever happen again there? I'm not even talking about an all-out nuclear war or an EMP, zombies or civil war, but more sensible and possible event such as a week long lasting black-out. This would cause other things to stop working, such as drinking water quitting after running 48 hours on diesel generators. Stores run out after 4 days, even with restocking. People become erratic after 3 days without food. People couldn't even prepare the spoiling foods without electrical cooking stoves or natural gas (also dependant on the electrical grid) if something like that happens. 3 days without power is an inconvenience anyone will survive, but a week people become hungry and thirsty, incalculable and dangerous.

I've asked many people these things
The standard reply is always:
>Lol user, that happens so rarely, it's a waste of time, energy and your sanity to prepare for such outlandish event
>The government will take care of us! Regardless, it happens so rarely that it'll probably never be a threat to me. And if I die, I'll die! I don't care!
>But if things go bad I'm coming to your place user, you have all this cool gear!
Guess you do care about dying, hypocrite piece of shit.

Nothing apocalyptic has to happen for a week long blackout to occur. It can just be a minor technical glitch snowballing to a disaster. It has happened before. Not to mention the insane weaknesses in the European electrical grid. A terrorist could bring it all down with a few downed power lines (doesn't take more than a few heavy vehicles) and a few shorts here in there (use a drone to lay a steel cable over a few adjacent power lines in critical intersections, which bypasses any fuses or other protection measures)

Why are people like this? What happened to the sensible idea of having a stocked pantry for bad times, as was the norm before WWII? Do you prepare? Why not?

Eat my ass.

What kind of third world country are you living in, no one is going to go hungry, unless they were already going hungry to begin with honestly i think you would find that in this situation its just a shitty week with no power, maybe a slightly higher crime rate but i doubt anyone would be losing their shit and order will probably be maintained, if i were to put myself in this position i think i would just bust out a book and a candle and chill, maybe get some cleaning done.

But that would make him a child molester.

You've got an attachment to an unnatural way of being friend. I love home comforts as much as the next guy and I'll enjoy them while they last, but if the power went off tomorrow that's kewl too. I know how to get food and water from the environment if needs be, hopefully enough to survive. If I can't or it's too much of a shit show to manage it (civil war or whatever) then I'll die and there's not a lot I can do about that. It's not dismissing it like 'If I die I die', it's just the way it would go. No point sweating something I can't control. None of us are important enough for it to really matter, you know? It's sad but history won't remember that one user who died, it'll remember the day that the post industrial world went to shit.

Something as big as that dwarfs any individual struggle, my own included.

And if it were more than a wek?

>No one is going hungry
When the power goes out, first thing all the shops do is close down. They can't power the registers, so that means they can't sell anything. After 24 to 48 hours they'll start distributing the spoiling foods with help from the government/police. You'll have to be lucky and on time at the right place to make use of these handouts. If it's gonna last any longer, they might start handing out the other foods in the supermarkets.

But I sure as shit ain't gonna be waiting for someone else to hand me out my three meals a day. If you even get some foods. It's dumb to assume someone else will take care of you when the entire country needs that same help. You can't assume they have the power, resources and people available to help everyone. You gotta be able to take care of yourself when it comes down to it.

I live in the Netherlands. Safest, most boring country ever. Still doesn't keep me from preparing.

Planning to live of the land is planning to die. Unless you really know your shit and you've survived comfortable for a week before, without anything else but the backpack on your back.
If you do it for the first time when the grid goes down, RIP my friend.

Implying someone can't make the food in their kitchen last for a week or two. You and OP are fucking retarded.

Living in the Netherlands explains why you're too ignorant and retarded to understand why we don't worry. Dumb fucking retard thinks food will spoil. Do you know how much shitty processed bullshit Americans eat? We survive on funyons and fucking sugary breakfast cereal. Stupid cunt.

/Thread

Cracked open a can of prego to pour on some noodles, ate that shit up. Turns out it was expired by 4 years

Shit stays fine, fuckers

Again this sounds like a backwards American mentality, ultimately people are out for themselves yes but it would have to be extremely dire for it to have a big impact on way of life as i know it based on my country (Australia) unless the grid went down for a month+ under some really extreme circumstances everything is probably going to work out fine, you'll most likely find different communities of the different areas of your state working together to find a workable system because that is what elected officials are for there are always going to be bad people trying to the exploit the situation however thats just human nature, cooler heads would prevail.

>implying all
#notall fite my prepping ass

Because if that shit happened, it would be localized. Our electric grid is designed for maximum redundancy. If the power went out for a week across the entire US, there would be a lot more to worry about than the power. Such as the apocolyptic event that triggered that. I mean, it's such a retarded situation. The only feasible situation in which all power goes out everywhere for that long is nuclear strike/emp airburst. Otherwise you believing that this is even possible speaks volumes about how little civvies know about our electrical grid.

You want to get fucking worried about something? Get worried about the unregulated dumping our coal fire power plants. The shit that is permanently going to do to our water table is fucking catastrophic. You want to worry, worry about the lack of proper water management and the coming generations of drought in the west because of our inability to transition from snow cap reservoir to runoff reservoir. If you want to worry, worry about the massive economic bubble that the entire world is currently riding on and the bull market attitudes that are going to burst it in the next months or years.

There's plenty of reasonable shit to be worried about, stop being a child and prepare for things that could actually happen. Or don't. Makes it easier for me to survive if you sabotage yourself.

Do you realize how easy it is to make potable water yourself? Especially from ocean water.

Water is not an issue, getting it for free, plentiful, and from someone else on demand is the problem.

Also, bubble popping in a couple months? Dont you have a street corner and soap box to attend to?

>it's 2032
>the grid has been down for 3 years now
>I survive solely on the decaying bodies of former hamplanets that have dropped dead in the streets
>find one still half-alive
>"s-save me" he moans weakly
>"Should've checked the expiration date, amigo"
>I save the best parts of him for later

They call us fatfucks yet are still too retarded to understand why. No, it's not fast food. A lot of us are too fucking poor for that shit. These foreigners on Sup Forums are retarded.

Exactly, but hey

Come the apocalypse we are doubly prepped. We have food that lasts and fat reserves

Anyone that thinks shit like that can happen is a naive retard. It only takes common sense to realize that the people that set the shit up aren't fucking brain dead.

It isn't however fast or cheap. There's a reason why potable water is actually being shipped to dry locations (like Middle East) rather than just building giant desalination plants. And on an individual scale, most people do not live within an easy access of either potable water, or a sea. If electricity goes out, how do you propose getting more gas to whatever vehicle you'd need to use?

You really don't understand how much fresh water it actually takes to run a civilized country, do you? It's not just drinking water, fuckface. It's the stuff we farm with. Do you even realize how inefficient desalination is in a large setting? That's just desalination, not even making it drinking water. Look up the massive shitfest that the Israelis go through to provide their people with water, for example.

If you don't believe the market is fucked, you're actually retarded. Jim Rogers, the billionaire who has predicted every major market crash of the last two decades, is calling for it again. The moment he starts pulling out of his investments in the dollar is the moment that I'm getting the fuck out of dodge.

People syphon gas now and it's easy to do.

How are you gonna prepare your food?
Do you only eat non-perishables?
How are you gonna get drinking water? You can go three weeks without food, but not without water that doesn't make you sick.

How are you gonna take a shit and wash yourself?
How are you confident you have a week or two weeks of groceries in your home at all times? Shit could happen right a bit before you do your shopping, leaving you with half a bread and only a sack of potatoes in your home. Like I said, first things stores do when the power goes out, is close down, until they open with local government help for food distribution. and like I said, you don't want to be depending on that for your survival.

Canned goods stay good for 5 years after best before that. Your statement/experiment means nothing to me. I'm more talking about the fresh, pre-packaged foods everyone buys to make dinner with. Meats, and vegetables and greens that come out of the cooler in a plastic bag or thin plastic box. They spoil in 2 days without refrigeration. All other fruits and vegetables come fresh from the distributor in cases, covered with nothing. Sauces, canned foods and other non-perishables stay good for a long time. Doens't mean there is plenty for everyone for a week. You know how often a semi-truck with food comes restocking your local supermarket? Probably once a day, like here. When they open up the supermarket, it's empty in blink of an eye when the entire country has been unplugged for 4 days.

US grid is just as vulnerable to shit as the European grid. US grid has the same weak Single point of failure spots between grids, same vulnerability with grid frequency instability. effects certainly doesn't have to be local.

It's not that easy if you never spent a moment of your life thinking what to do when the faucet stops running. Ocean water is severely polluted with a of the most nasties metals and chemicals.

Why don't you fuck off back to your own country's cyberspace? You Eurocucks aren't allowed here anymore! Trump won you Eurotrash commie. Time to put an end to this illegal cyber immigration! You are invading American cyberspace without proper authorization, Frenchie. So take your euro and fuck right the hell off my board. This is an AMERICAN BOARD FOR FUCKING AMERICANS ONLY!

OP is talking about feeding ourselves, not the country. So shut the fuck up you retard.

Or a bicycle
Or a horse
Or walking

The process itself may be simply.
It isn't cheap on any actual scale that matters. To the point where shipping fucking lake water from halfway across the world in giant container ships is cheaper than building local desalination plants to create potable water from seawater.

I could live for a week with just what I have in my house right now, with zero preparation.

yup ex gfs parents are preppers, they are stockpiling my base now so idgaf...
on top of mountain
solar energy
pond growing tilapia
apples
blueberries
wild animals (deer)
tons of prepper ship stored up
generators
mres
medicine
much more

>Ocean water is severely polluted
Still not enough to make it un drinkable.

There are hundreds of books on how to find, make, and clean water. You can do it from all found materials. You can use rain if you cant find ocean or goundwater

This is the simplest shit.

Can you still cook your shit when the power goes out?
Natural gas goes out eventually too when the power goes out, same with drinking water.

I've lived most of my life eating processed shit it would take a month to go bad. Nor am I a clean fucker. What does smelling like shit and being dirty have to do with surviving when Ive had all my vaccinations this isn't the 1800s fucktard

Let me put it this way. lack of fresh water source = no water for go in soil. No water = no grow plant plant. no grow plant plant means no food. Are you starting to understand?

So somehow that's supposed to be better? Good luck trying your shit when the nearest water sources suddenly look like this from the million+ other people likewise trying to get potable water.

Nigga, does your ass not know how to build a fire? You can literally burn old shit to cook.

You do shit, dont you?

Humans are omnivores, not herbivores. Go back to kindergarten, retarded bitch. There's a reason shit is processed, genetically modified, and artificial as fuck.

Believe it or not soda and sugary shit drinks have enough water to sustain someone in the mean time.

No plant plant means no food for animal. no animal means no meat. If you notice, my orginal point is that we're running out of water resources and therefore a real problem society actually faces is a lack of ability to sustain proper agriculture in some very heavily populated places. That's what's called an actual problem. Not some imaginary fantasy situation where the power goes out everywhere for a week. You know, the imaginary fantasy you're LARPing about so you can feel superior to the adults around you actually trying to keep things from going to shit?

>It's not that easy if you never spent a moment of your life thinking what to do when the faucet stops running.

Especially not when stress takes over

This ass damn well knows how to build a fire. Some people just aren't able to build a fire in an appartement though. I wouldn't want to start a fire in a parking lot and start cooking my food out in the open after 3 days of shit. People will rob you. Hunger can make people go insane. Even if they were the sweetest, caring bunch of people before.
You wanna keep it on the down low you have (or going) to have a filled stomach.
For instance, look at talking about this stuff. Everyone somehow claims they can come over to my place and eat my shit. As if I have food for them, and as if I have the duty to take care of them. You have that duty for yourself.

Connecticut, USA blizzard of 2010 or 11 where people went without electricity for a week including me. No one was hungry, or cold. We put on winter clothes and ran generators while having fires and cooking on them.

>What is rain
>what is personal desalination
>what is digging and finding ground water

If your apocalypse was the world running out of water, by it all getting sucked into space, then youd have an argument

Yes, because all the processed candy, candy bars, chips, snacks, generally unhealthy long lasting shit will dissapear off of the face of the earth within a week, as will grass and regular fucking animals like dogs and cats will just magically be gone within weeks. Dumb cunt.

How did unprepared people not go hungry? Was the Government aiding in handing out food from supermarkets or what? Other vital infrastructures going down because loss of power?

How many people were affected?

The ground water is drained, we've already tapped it in places like cali. In decades past we've relied on the snow cap reservoir to carry through winter. That's no longer feasible, we're seeing a massive shift in the amount of snow and were it stays. The man made infrastructure is already overloaded in the wet season and runs out too quickly in the dry season. There's a supreme lack of money to build more infrastructure, let alone fund mass desalination.

I'm not talking about your absolutely retarded 'entire grid goes out' situation because it can't happen. It is literally impossible. At most it would happen to a region. That's the benefit of being a large country, we have a lot of resources to help people who are in the shit. Believe it or not, most people are stocked up for at least a week pretty comfortably. I mean, if shit hits the fan it will actually hit the fucking fan, it won't just be the grid going down.

Did you know there is more nutrition in a box of cinnamon toast crunch then there is in gmo free cuccumbers or than you know most of the bullshit that sprouts out of the ground these days.

what the fuck are you even talking about? Where do you think that cereal comes from? Fucking space? It's processed corn and rice or other grain.

I don't consider myself a survivalist or a prepper, but I do have an emergency luggage with 3 days worth of preserved food, water, clothes and useful gadgets. I also have a gas mask with new filters stocked somewhere in my basement.

I also usually have some preserved food stocked in pantry (not primarily for "apocalypse scenario" though, I use it when I'm too busy or lazy to go shopping and I restock it at the end of the month).

I grew up during communist era in central Europe and in schools, we had safety drills in case of nuclear war and similar events every year. The idea of keeping some level of readiness kinda stuck with me since then.

I find it really weird that the governments don't educate their citizens about this readiness. Back during the Cold War, any sort of readiness would be useless for the ordinary citizen, since everything would turn into nuclear fire. Today with terrorism threat, the risk of absolute annihilation is non-existent, but the smaller threats to local infrastructure are much more significant, while chaos and losses in these cases can be easily prevented by safety drills. I really don't get it.

I played enough zombie apocalypse games to know how to survive.

Yes and when the water isn't there to grow the plants the boxes of cereal still exist, you stupid cunt. Your argument only works if all plant based products simply ceased to exist from the world as soon as no more plants are being grown at a massive rate.

>what is gas stove
>what is boiling water
>what is kettle
KYS

It's the user from Maybe I'd die if I tried to live off the land but that's not really my point. If things go bad enough that any of this is a possibility, I'd be fine with dying. People are gonna die if the world goes to shit and I'm the only one that's gonna be upset about it in the long run, so I'm not gonna get needlessly down about something that's ultimately inconsequential.

I think I could survive though. I live in the middle of the country in a town full of old people and nothing else. Not likely to be a prime spot for looting, plenty of freshwater rivers and stuff and loads of wild animals/abandoned livestock to eat. Could be a lot worse for myself. It even has a fully operational harbor with boats which I'm sure could be useful.

SO the people who currently consume them will just disapear, I guess? Do you know how much food the average person consumes compared to how much we produce? It's pretty near parity. I honestly don't get what you're trying to think here. That we just have enough to last us indefinitely once we run out of resources? We don't. Those preprocessed food stuffs will be confiscated and used up extremely quickly.

OP is not Entire grid going down for a week still is a good situation to prepare against. It's not impossible. Grid SPOF and frequency instability can wreak a lof of havoc.

And if it is going to a large-scale SHTF situation, one of the first things to go down is the electrical grid. You're more preparing towards what is going to happen (loss of power, water, other stuff) instead of looking at what could cause these events (nuclear war, EMP, earthquake, Yellowstone erruption, fucking zombies for all I care).

Prepare for the impacts caused by SHTF, not the events causing it. It does can give you a priority what to prep for. Respirators for asbestos after an earthquake is more important than a geiger counter. But a good dependable way to make your own drinking water is more important.

Nice going. I agree the unsurvivable doom of nuclear war is what made people lazy in terms of preparedness and self-reliance. Times have changed, for the better I'd say. What we are facing now is much easier to prepare for.

Fun time using that shit if you don't own it or have access to it. No you, you can go KYS

u all got fukin BAITED

In fairness it's hard to compare the amount of food we'd need if global productions stopped. We'd start dropping like flies to the point where maybe you could live of scavenged plants for food.

>What happened to the sensible idea of having a stocked pantry for bad times
Fucking a. I'm learning survivalist skills bit by bit

I'm talking about surviving if shit got really bad. Other people are irrelevant when it comes to surviving. You think starving scared people wouldn't bust down doors killing people and taking their food.

>we were the roaches all along
>fatties with heart surgery are transhumanists

A week long black-out?

At least half of 4chans' userbase will die.

This isn't the 1800s, correct. We say that because we have running hot/cold water and it's generally expected to take a daily shower and to wash your hands after taking a dump.
H Y G I E N E
Without this you can get sick from touching your food, die from a infection or other not very nice things. It's uncommon here because we have a good hygiene
Vaccinations don't help jack shit. Except for those diseases they are for, like Polio, Hep A & B, etc etc. They don't act against the cold, e.coli or other nasties.