youtube.com/watch?v=sHx4yMBa3vM
youtube.com/watch?v=17JgEYTmE-o&list=PLYKb_NLVD9VBxDqbbd4bVHsGjJDASxY5A
de.rateyourmusic.com/collection/jazzthreadguy/r5.0
youtube.com/watch?v=KFvgCtomkqE
www85.zippyshare.com/v/4jdRPUHZ/file.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

What about it?
Also, superior album.

Jazz is mostly trite boring muzak except for that album.

First time listening to pic related right now. Good stuff.

youtube.com/watch?v=gm7LU8-VPhc
Hidden Orchestra - Archipelago

This general is redundant.

t. /classical/

Manu Katche' - Live in Concert

youtube.com/watch?v=w53U7QMkbgM

New Hidden Orchestra album coming this year - really looking forward to it

There is a teaser track out:
youtube.com/watch?v=sHx4yMBa3vM

Jazz feels very overwhelming to me. What should I listen to next based on these albums I like?

i've always thought chris potter is overrated but he is pretty insane on this recording

Wayne Shorter- Night Dreamer

Oh my ! I was unaware. Thank you very much user. I have a spotify trigger setup to bring it into my dashboard when it happens ^_^.

I'm sure you've also heard of : submotion orchestra?

Horace Silver. This should be a nice introductory album.

Thank you! I also quite like this one.
youtube.com/watch?v=17JgEYTmE-o&list=PLYKb_NLVD9VBxDqbbd4bVHsGjJDASxY5A

Here's your (You)

>Jazz feels very overwhelming to me
Ahmad Jamal - At the Pershing/But not for Me
if you feel like not being so overwhelmed.
Cecil Taylor - Conquistador!
if you feel like embracing that feeling of not being quite sure what the fuck is happening.

modal jazz is proto-krautrock

prove me wrong

you're overdue to listen to more Mingus.

Mingus Ah Um and The Clown, ASAP

also give some earlier Ornette Coleman like his live in Stockholm 66 albums a go

Modal Jazz was a predecessor, but it led to free jazz. IMO free jazz was a major inspiration for krautrock, but I still think krautrock's most obvious and likely most significant influence was modern classical/art music composers like Iannis Xenakis, Stockhausen, etc.

> le zany noise is more of a predecessor than the guys soloing overtop of the same chord with minor modal changes

well, i always did know Sup Forums was retarded

coltrane's my favorite things is krautrock

the only inspiration free jazz had was for the shit unlistenable CAN tracks on Tago Mago

So what do you guys think of the Franco-Flemish school? Favourite generation? Favourite composer?

I meant more as in the sheer number of styles, genres, and albums. I didn't really know where to start and with whom. Thanks for the rec!

So what was your AOTY in 1995?
Pro-tip: If it isn't pic related, then you're wrong.

I'm not that into church music. The third generation is best. Most listened to Obrecht and Josquin.

Wrong general user

classical > jazz

>shit unlistenable CAN tracks on Tago mago
Wow, no need to demonstrate how much of a pleb you are. We already know

Dead general
Stop trying to make this a thing

1995 was probably its 2nd reissue, it was recorded in the 80s, using AOTY about classical is pretty stupid anyway.

Sorry /jazz/ we will try and keep our infants from wandering past their bedtime.

Why are people shit posting in this today? This has been a pretty good general most of the time. Whyd everyone pick today to fuck it all up?

that's because you're thinking of it as a style/subgenre, but Jazz is as encompassing a genre as Rock or Classical, if there has to be a trinity it is those three with crossovers between them.

>Noodling Random Notes: The Genre

imagine not being able to have fun this much

you must be very depressed user, here's your encouragement: fuck outta here nig

Op didn't ask "the questions" so we have no preordained topics of conversation. It's complete anarchy.
Do I like pic related? How am I supposed to know? Op didn't ask me if I did.

/CLASSICAL/ GET OUT!!! Unlesss you wanna discuss jazz. Idk why some guy posted mingus in you thread earlier and caused you all to sperg out and stsrt fucking up our thread but jesus youre a bunch of autists.

A couple /classical/ posters (one of them being me) started to discuss jazz. We had a couple jazz posts last thead too when /jazz/ was offline so we kinda continued from there. But a couple other /classical/ posters spilled their spaghetti over it so hard it overflowed into this thread.

/classical/ is raiding us

Nah i looked in to it. Someone posted jazz in the classical thread so they all sperged out and came here to fuck out our general....and op didnt ask the questions

JTG's new 5 star review? He's got pretty good taste. He's a little eager to suck Chris Potter's dick, but it's a dick worth sucking.

is my jazz taste pleb?

I cant remember all the jazz ive listened to but its not that much so recc me stuff here or on www.rateyourmusic.com/~essentialpatritian

people who pretend they don't enjoy this album because it's accessible and relaxing are fucking pretentious elitists and everything that's wrong with jazz fans

I'm fairly new to jazz
Oscar Peterson's Mellow Mood Vol 5 and Hiromi's Voice are some of my favorite albums. Do you guys have recommendations for me?

I'm bretty entry-level with this stuff, but I love some things I've found, notably:

Charles Mingus - Let My Children Hear Music, Blues & Roots, Mingus Ah Um

Wayne Shorter - Juju, Speak No Evil

Art Blakey - Moanin'

Lee Morgan - The Sidewinder

Django Reinhardt

Pete La Roca - Basra

I also mean to download Jaimeo Brown's Transcendence and Blue Mitchell's Blue Soul.

I guess for me, jazz is all about bebop - I like the expressive stuff

Are you that idiot from the other thread? I'm sorry I was mean to you.

Can anyone recommend jazz featuring more flute playing? I've gotten into Roland Kirk and Sam Rivers' stuff lately.

This thread was probably made by a /classical/ poster as an excuse to shoo away the jazz discussion in that thread.

>caused you all to sperg out
It's only a couple autists.

and in caseishere it is, just like I promised.

See

Art Blakey is the greatest.
Second place is John Abercrombie !!
> Ahaa !!

Making a thread on Sup Forums takes all of about one minute to do. If there isn't a /jazz/ thread, it's incredibly simple to make one. No need to rile up the /classical/ autists and start needless thread wars.

Jesus, that album bloooows. Nope, this general was resurrected a few weeks ago after somewhat consitent jazz threads were popping up with some pretty serious discussion and some new jazz tripcodes started.

Eric Dolphy, Yusef Lateef and Joe Farrell are all pretty good flautists too. Jazz flute is kinda an easy thing to fuck up though. A lot of sax players dabbled a little and sometimes it went really well. More often than not, it was cheesy as fuck.

>one last tip- I recommend smoking some marijuanna while enjoying your jazz

jesus christ

Jazz piano is the hardest thing. Like I have no doubt that it's pretty difficult to play jazz well on any instrument but good jazz pianists are like next level geniuses.

You're all fucking degenerates. Enjoy your pop music.

Lel, literally the best part of the chart. I remember some guy bitched about that paragraph a year or two ago and a version of the chart was made without it. I've never seen it posted since though.

I know, but some total newfriend asked for some jazz recommendations and it snowballed from there.

I was talking about this thread specifically, not the general. It got linked in /classical/ as soon as it got made.

Who's JTG? Any other Chris Potter records you'd recommend?

Also, Robin Eubanks, whoever he is, is freaking killing it on the bone. Never heard this guy before, but he's sounding aweome. The duet with Potter on Prime Directives is just crazy.

here and
i already went through this like a year ago im asking for reccs based on my chart nig

I think /jazz/ was kinda fucked while /blindfold/ was running. I know I basically stopped posting on Sup Forums after a while and I'd just come around for those threads.
He used to be a jazz trip. He still posts, but he only trips for special occasions.
de.rateyourmusic.com/collection/jazzthreadguy/r5.0
he recently gave Dave at Birdland a 5 star review.
Ok son. Calm down there.
Have you listened to Cecil Taylor's Looking Ahead or Woody Shaw's Moontrane?

Oh yeah, and Chris' The Sirens, Underground, Imaginary Cities, Transatlantic and The Dreamer is the Dream(AOTYSF) + his playing on Alex Sipiagin's Destinations Unknown/Overlooking Moments, Pat Metheny's Kin, Wayne Shorter's Algeria and a load of other great Dave Holland records (What Goes Around, Critical Mass, Pathways, etc.)

thoughts on pic related? About halfway through it and I'm loving it so far.

meme bump

At least make it a jazz bump.

I'd say jazz drumming. Discipline like no other genre.

I only heard this guy for the first time last week

I was in awe

youtube.com/watch?v=KFvgCtomkqE

I think /blindfold/ was a cool idea but i think it should have been seperate from /jazz/. I never wanted to listen to the playlists and stuff, i just wanted to talk about what people were listening too. There was some general discussion in blindfold but i felt like an ass if i just randomly chimed in.

It's crazy. Not only do they have to rapidly change time signatures with complex patterns but also their dynamics to complement whoever is taking lead.

Not to put down other instruments at all, but there are so many elements to jazz drumming it's mind boggling.

>change time signatures with complex patterns >change the dynamics
You have to do that on any instrument. Percussion instruments have always been, are, and will forever be the simplest ones to play.

No.

Only the rhythm section have to phase between tempo changes though, you know how difficult that is with triplets, backbeat and an irregular kick?

Simplest to play maybe, incredibly hard to master.

However difficult advanced jazz drumming is, it is nothing compared to advanced playing on any other instrument. You're talking as if the other players don't have to bother with the rhythmic aspect of the music at all. No, they totally have to, and they also have to deal with everything else on top of that.

would anyone happen to have this? The only link i found was dead

>Manu Katche
generally underrated drummer

rock is really just a shitty version of jazz with more singing

good free jazz release from this year.

Hey. Seems to be some conflict in this thread. Maybe I can defuse it. I started paying attention to the jazz threads this week (needed a break from hip-hop and indie rock) and decided to try jazz once again. I'm 22. I've tried jazz a few times over there years but it's never really clicked. This week, though. I've listened to Head Hunters, Jazz Impressions of Japan, A Love Supreme. Something's changed. Maybe I'm older. But it's clicked, it's a wonderful noise. And it's inspired me to drop my acoustic guitar and my uninspired folk tunes and try to learn to play jazz piano with the end result no doubt being utter mediocrity. But I'm enjoying this, going through the classics, seeing what I've missed out on. I have a feeling free jazz and fusion jazz are gonna be my jam. This is my jazz period. Thank you Sup Forums.

Hi Jazz Guys Gals and Gurus please give me good jazz with lots of vocal parts/harmonies if it's real thanks

i have a fuckin boner for sweet jazz vocal harmonies

This is probably not the record you were looking for, but you should listen to it anyway.

The Rubáiyát of Dorothy Ashby is fantastic

honestly it's the closest so far I've listened to, so thanks!

KEEP YOURSELVES AND YOUR OOGA BOOGA MONKEY MUSIC OUT OF MY FUCKING THREADS

JAZZ IS NOT AND WILL NEVER BE TRUE ART

(You)

Somebody requested this last week and I finally got around to uploading it.

Bootleg recording from 2007
at Smalls

Chris Potter
Jonathan Kreisberg
Matt Penman
Ari Hoenig

www85.zippyshare.com/v/4jdRPUHZ/file.html

There's Manhattan Transfer... that stuff gets on my nerves though

What do you jazz patricians actually think of ECM?

great album

Why do you want to be proved wrong? I would love to listen to examples of this.

one of the most important record labels ever.
what in tarnation?

you have more of these?

I haven't really researched it or anything, but I think modal jazz might have been generally influential on rock music - at least in the fifties rock song chord progressions still typically had functional harmony (V chord resolving into I) - even 12 bar blues does this in this end - but after modal jazz became a thing there started to be popular rock songs where the chord progressions are essentially modal vamps or contain solo passages like that

Like for example The Doors Break on Through is just two chords all the way and the long jam in Light My Fire is a two-chord dorian mode thing.

t.a vocalist with no sense of self awareness or rhythm

None of that specific group but I have a lot more bootlegs

What's the best Bud Powell album in your opnion, /jazz/?

Anyone here know this one? It's one of the first albums to really get me into jazz. It's got some pretty tasty stuff on it.

what are some others like Miles Davis- Live in Vienna 1973?

He's right. Drummers only have to bother with dynamics, rhythm and timbre. Everyone else has to bother with dynamics, rhythm, timbre, melody and harmony. But it's not only that, it's also the fact that it is a whole lot easier to get the desired sound out of percussion instruments than other instruments (exceptions being stuff like timpani drums -- not surprising then that drummers almost never include timpani in their kits, eh?). That's just how non-pitched and fixed-pitch instruments are. The piano is even easier if we take only this aspect into account, the relevant difference being that the piano has over 80 keys (every key is the analogue of a drum or a cymbal; even the most overkill kits have only a couple dozen elements in total) to fret over and you have to care about a lot more than their loudness and the timings between their use.

And I haven't said anything about winds yet. When the exact same embouchure, air-flow and fingering produces an entirely different sound simply because the temperature of the instrument or the level of humidity in the room has changed, and you have to adjust for it on the fly (not unusual the longer the concert), then you can talk about how much discipline is required.

But all that really needs to be said on the matter in the end is: get that chip off your shoulder little drummer boy; just because playing drums is less complex than playing other instruments doesn't mean that drumming has a 'lesser' role. It's the interplay between the instruments that matters. Every instrument is a background instrument when someone else is playing the lead. Relish your solos and bang on.

(But what do I know, I'm a faggot from /classical/.)