Ask a historical reenactor anything

Ask a historical reenactor anything.

What's up man how are you doing?

It's all good, I'm snowed in since I'm in the north east. Nothing else to do.

Is it any fun? I'm assuming you do it in the us?
I participate in the Swedish annual ski route to Finland in the old uniforms and skis

Ever take acid and reenact stuff? Must be emotional. Can imagine with the guns it would be pretty mind destroying. You said AMA.

Oh it's a blast, just a nerdy thing but I love it. Yes I'm in the US.

Are you aware that you're an unbelievable dork?

does the battle always have to happen as it really did ? who do u know when u die or kill someone ?

No never taken drugs but alcohol can get a bit overused...

Yes

k

Not all the battles are what we call scripted. Some are just us going out and using historical tactics and see which team wins.

Why reenact the Civil War, a war in which we ALL lost?

It is the darkest time in US history

Why not reenact the Revolutionary War, WWII, or anything but that rotten war?

I don't understand the entire concept. What do you mean "to see which team wins"? How do you know you got fake shot or whatever?

In general, explain what the fuck is going on, please.

If you guys were wondering I do 2nd century AD Roman, American Civil War Union, and WWII German.

Why not play paintball/airsoft instead?

I'm thinking about getting into French and Indian War but I don't have enough money right now. I like Civil War because of the comeradishment and the way it was fought

okay so how do u know when someone dies ? or when u die. do u use paint ball guns or how do u know ? is there hand to hand combat ? how far does it go ? can u punch people ? or drop out of trees ?

Pretty much if you see someone fire a gun at you there's a good chance you may have been hit. If your lined up firing upon order and such, you just have to judge it out and be willing to die. I usually see how many in our line up have died and if there's not enough, the next volley I'll take a hit.

Do you ever have nasty historically acurate sex while your out there?

Not historically accurate. We use real guns just filled with blanks or powder

No, but not gonna lie when I do WWII a few of the pinup girls are pretty fine looking

Do you ever have the feeling that playing war is tasteless considering the actual suffering and misery of those who fought?

I responded to how we die but on the topic of hand to hand combat, if there is a bayonet charge it's very fake looking. For safety reasons we can't really hit real hard with the bayonets since they're real

ok I get that.
I am in PA that has an abundance of this activity

I have had thoughts about what we are doing is disrespectful, yes. However since a majority of reenactors are veterans and they seem to approve of it I guess it's not as bad as it may seem. I do try my best to be respectful by running and being as emotional as they were, not smiling when you're hit, etc.

Yooo you can do nazi rp irl and not get called out for it

I'm a medic and not in the SS so not really but yes I've been called a Nazi many of times...

>WWII German

Found the Sup Forums-fag.

But let's not forget that not every German during the war was a Nazi and fought for their homeland not for Hitler

What about Roman combat?

Do you ever get women to re-enact the important roles they played in shaping human civilisation?

do you also play jew in a gas chamber?

Absolutely, there's more women in reenacting than you would think. A lot do like Rosy the Riviter impressions or even pretend to be men just like some did during the civil war

We use wooden weapons so we can really hit hard. Yes they look kinda bad but the actual action can be played out with accuracy.

No, anyone who does a camp guard impression is strictly looked upon as a real Nazi

id be like rambo running around in the woods jumping over shit refusing to die ." its only a flesh wound" i will scream as fake bullets wizz past my head and some stupid white nigger calls me out for cheating.

Yes unfortunately this has happened before it can get quite annoying

How white are you?

hahah. then a determined looking fellow with with a blond greesy mustachio takes the moment to charge me with a bonnet. at his half speed i easily side step his attack and gut kick his ass to the ground. at this point i raise my heavily modified musket that has been converted to a paint ball gun and point it at the crying blond mans head " any last words ?" i ask. the blubbering wimp opens his mouth to speak; i pull the trigger. from deep in my belly an unearthly cry erupts from my body "WE SHALL DRINK IN VALHALLA TONIGHT !!!"