What are some RPGs i should play?

What are some RPGs i should play?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_Hearts
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

i see this game series a lot. do i have to play the entire series to get the story?

KOTOR I and II
now go and kill yourself

No not really

Final Fantasy Tactics was fun as hell.

i was never much of a fan of starwars games

i was actually thinking of playing this one next.

this

Play this but skip this .

ChronoCross was complete shit.

Koudelka and the subsequent shadow heart series.

Really fun games, the shadow heart games can be challenging especially if you're not real good with the combat ring system it uses.

>never finished Chrono Cross

Listen to these Anons right here.

heh if you compare them next to each other, yeah chrono cross was shit. but i still had fun playing it. dont think of it as a sequel, more of a... spin off thats not related at all.

Final Fantasy 6
Morrowind
Secret of Evermore
Fallout 3 and New Vegas

gameboy broke before i got to finish this game :(

What's wrong with Chrono Cross?

Cut Fallout 3 and keep New Vegas. Then this list stands.

Lunar 1 and 2

>Secret of Evermore
MAH NIGGA
I still play that game on occasion to this day. It gets shit on a lot for being a copy of Secret of Mana (another RPG OP should consider), but SoE is much more a hybrid of sci-fi and fantasy.

How close is it to Secret of Mana? I enjoyed SoM, though it was a bit grindy.

objectively speaking, ignoring the first game, what was so bad about it? im not saying its amazing, but it wasnt bad either.

Chrono Cross is better than CT in every way except in "nostalgia factor". The ONLY reason you need is that the combat system is better, more complex. I'm not saying it's the best ever, but it's better than what Trigger has, and you'll be doing a lot of fucking fighting.

Jade cocoon
Summoner
Summoner 2
Tactics ogre series
Star ocean series
Parasite Eve 1 and 2
Dragon Quest series
Xenosaga series

Imagine Secret of Mana, but a lot less grinding, better story, better dialog, and characters you can actually relate to.

Oh and, RPGs you should play

>Grandia (PS1)
>Dragon Warrior Monsters 1 and 2 (Gameboy Color)
>DBZ Attack of the Saiyans (DS)
>Diablo II with expansion (PC)

i wouldnt say that. where CT lacked in combat system, it made up for in story. also, CT's combat system wasnt that bad. random character movement that determined AOE damage was a nice touch.

The subpar story that shits all over everything you did in Trigger. Retarded ass battle system that trips over itself. Characters that you not only dislike but despise playing.

The game was bad. Even if you play it by itself, never playing Trigger, it still comes out as a poor game.

Ah yes. The contrarian /vr/ opinion. I'm surprised the phrase "rose tinted glasses" wasn't anywhere in your post.

>star ocean series
should you be playing this game in order? the first game came out in 1993..

You could play the whole series and still not get the story.

The combat system is nearly identical, as is the ring menu system. However, the magic system is different (you get alchemy spells that you can cast as long as you have the ingredients for said spell, either bought or found in the environment). Grinding is optional, though in the beginning of the game I'd recommend it a little. But just by naturally exploring you'll get your shit together.

Cool. I might take a look.

I remember trying to play this as a kid and fucking hating it because (if I remember right) - there were huge areas where you couldnt save the game, and if you died you basically had to replay forever to get back.
>being a kid remembering anything right.

I could be full of shit tho because I was young.

tactics ogre

My niggas! Loved this game growing up, one of the developers used to post on Gamefaqs alot, actually helped me out a lot as a fledgling game developer. Music by Jeremy Soule of Skyrim fame.

Can anyone explain the ending of SoM? ... I remember fighting the dragon we were flying on.... wtf was that about? Then the game just ends with very little wrap up.

Final Fantasy 12

Oh shit, look at all these youngster normies.

Go play terranigma op, its on snes.

>not the fate of Atlantis

You don't even deserve a reaction face.
Just leave.

Final Fantasy: Tactics

Despite the fact that tumblrfags like it, it is actually one of my favorite games of all time.

The dragon you fight is actually a Mana Beast. They make reference that Mana Beasts and the Flammie that you ride on may have common ancestry or at one time may have been one and the same.

>whole series = 2 games
also by that logic CT was a shit game too. story got a bit convoluted eventually.

Suikoden series

Great game minus awful localization.

You do realize that the Kingdom Hearts series spans like 8 games on 5 systems right?

The whole trilogy is worth playing. Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia (or Time if you're a eurofag), and Terranigma are all solid games (IoG is kinda faggy but still good).

You should try the Tales Series.
My favorites were...

Tales of Eternia.
Tales of Symphonia.
Tales of the Abyss
Tales of Vesperia.

Xenogears is pretty much a separate game unto itself. The Xenosaga series is supposed to be a sort of spiritual prequel to Xenogears but it kinda goes off track and the game play gets to be terrible in XS 2.

Chrono Cross had a lot of problems. The game play itself was good but there were too many characters to play with, the story is kinda ridiculous as well. The becomes complex for no real reason and starts to not make any sense.

3 games.

This. A Million times this! First played Suikoden in 1997ish when I was about 9 and the nostalgia goggles are only just wearing out now. Second game is fucking fantastic but the 3rd and 4th are a bit lacking. 5 Is similar to the first 2 and extremely enjoyable. Never played Tactics but it ties in with 4. The DS one is playable but voice acting is atrocious. I don't know anything about the PS Vita one. Suiko 3 is the only game I ever imported being a britbong. Everything else not released here i emulate.

Oh man this game right here. I loved it. Quick story: Years ago when this game came out on the super nintendo i was renting it from the video store. I actually went out and bought the game and then got the copy i was renting so i could switch the labels on the two cartridges and keep the rented game which had my save file on it.

i hated Symphonia. Story was predictable and the combat system sucked because the characters couldn't hit the enemy very well.

I used to rent it alot too. I think the second time I rented there was a save file in the last world and I spent the next 5 weekends trying to reach the same spot but only ever got to the arena boss fight in world 2. Years later I emulated and finished it and was probably one of the most satisfying completions of my gaming career.

1) It was too intelligent for the vast majority of its audience and thus went miles over the heads of many CT fans.
2) It wasn't fan service i.e. not "Chrono Trigger 2".
3) Butthurt that the game doesn't let you change "Serge" to "Crono"

It blew SoM out of the water.

>a giant, forced exposition dump at the very end of the game necessary to link the game to its namesake is "intelligent"
So cute when retarded 90s kids try and sound like actual adults.

>actual adults
>Sup Forums
Good luck, kiddo.

>projecting his personal failures onto an anonymous user base of millions

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_Hearts

>The series consists of eight games across multiple video game consoles, and future titles are planned. Most of the games in the series have been both critically acclaimed and commercially successful.

Kingdom Hearts for the PS2
Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories for the GBA
Kingdom Hearts II for the PS2
Kingdom Hearts Re:coded for the DS
Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days for the DS
Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep for the PSP
Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance for the 3DS
and finally
Kingdom Hearts: X/Unchained X for Android, iOS and PC

There were also a number of rereleases and updates.

You should play breath of fire1+2 for snes. they are great rpg's, although the battles are round based.

Hands down!

>buzzwords are effective

Dark cloud 2 for the PS2

>buzzwords aren't effective when they destroy my argument

If we wanna add the RPG/Strategy genre which some have added, how bout Shining Force 1 & 2.

Also did no one say Baldur's Gate Series yet? Favorite old school dungeon crawler type was the Bard's Tale series.

EARTHBOUND

lol
They're just games, dude. Try to relax. Some people enjoyed Cross. Don't let the positive opinions of a 17 year old game fuck up your christmas.

I didn't mention any of the games I feel didn't age well, like Ultima Underworld or the Might&Magic series of first person RPGs.

>me getting told means you're upset
It's cute how you think this discussion isn't over.

RPG thread. No Planescape:Torment
kys Sup Forums

Damn dude. Give the wanker a chance. Its like watching a brown bear eat a salmon over here.

lol
Ok, little guy. I'm gonna go play some Chrono Cross, I'll be back to continue the discussion later since it's not ending any time soon. I'll keep checking back on this thread though. Talk to you soon, user.

Hell to the fucking yes my nigga.

Fallout New Vegas

Sup Forumsirgin quest

BLOODBOURNE

love almost all rpg;s but this one is my fav

check em now

Agreed

So, you are talking about RPGs and your argument is the combat system? I mean, you're wrong, first of all, but your entire 'only the battle system' thing makes you a complete retard.

Complex doesn't mean better or even handled better. Look at the level design of CT and how they kept fights/encounters interesting. In the prison you got introduced to two new enemies, the constantly missing but hard hitting cyclops and the guys that hid behind shields. In the future, you deal with enemies that make you utilize your magic and after you learn magic you go through a dungeon geared towards that.

There are the enemies that drop their weapons when you use fire on them, the enemies that stun when you use lightning, and the enemies that switch based off elements used against them. There are encounters designed for you to burn through them using team attacks and magic and some that you have to use powerful individual attacks.

It was a simple and perfectly done battle system. CT was overly complex and constantly switching elements was not so much fun as frustrating (that doesn't mean hard, fyi).

And you are a big fag. So there's that.

If you like horrendous quests, terrible story, and autistic dialogue, then yes, by all means, New Vegas.

Dating My Daughter