Post GOAT downtempo albums

post GOAT downtempo albums

Other urls found in this thread:

factmag.com/2016/12/18/moby-aphex-twin-buffoon-comment/
youtube.com/watch?v=uin5LDFr1SE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Nah

Why does this album have such a low rating on RYM? It's fucking fantastic.

Moby did nothing wrong

he's a hacky manchild who's still butthurt about Aphex Twin calling him a buffoon in the 90s

factmag.com/2016/12/18/moby-aphex-twin-buffoon-comment/

>i asslick aphex twin so everything he says i agree with

Zero 7 Sia, best Sia

youtube.com/watch?v=uin5LDFr1SE

nah, I dislike moby because he's quite shit

rym is a cesspool of autism. why anyone on this board ever takes it seriously is beyond me

I always thought Aphex calling Radiohead garbage after Thom Yorke called him his hero was kinda shitty but at least Thom isn't complaining about it twenty years later

Oh Yeah

New Afternoons In Stereo is great

Aphex Twin is horrible. All his music is so boring, partly because black influences like funk and dub are totally absent from it. He just got worse and worse after SAW85-92, which wasn't that good in the first place. I have no idea why he was popular in the first place. I suspect it has to do with his eccentric personality and his unsubstantiated claim that he was making this music since 1985. This fed into the British narrative that they always had a monopoly on electronic music and allowed them to write the Belleville Three out of history, and made them feel better about appropriating American and Jamiacan music styles like House, Techno, Breaks and dub.

Moby is unironically better.

Boards of Canada

/thread closed

This could not be more incorrect

Don't take it from me. Keep listening to your meme man with his goofy interviews. But keep in mind that everyone else in the know can tell right away that they shouldn't take you seriously. if somebody identifies anybody from the IDM crowd as the peak of bleeps, you can tell right away they're brand new to the genre or just don't understand it.

Continue being a clueless elitist who gets off on spouting bullshit. You imply that music requires black influences to be good which has no basis in reality, besides the fact that much of Aphex Twin's later music does have funk influences. But please, continue to unironically use phrases like "in the know," throw around uninformed criticism, and act like genres are little circle jerking clubs to inflate your fragile ego

Vibert > Aphex

I love Vibert but no. He even admitted himself that he hasn't progressed much since the late 90s. Especially his later stuff where he keeps re-using the same goddamn samples in every album.

>You imply that music requires black influences to be good
Nice reading comprehension. I just said it was a factor that contributed to his music being boring, not the only reason.

I hate to reference genre politics but they play a high factor here. The only reason Autechre, The Black Dog, and Aphex we're popular was because A) they were "homegrown" (ie British) and B) their works were presented as full lengths so critics didn't need to change their listening habits. In reality they offered poor imitations of the work of Juan Atkins and Derrick May.

This is true. Vibert actually turned IDM into a credible genre, briefly, because his Plug EPs and LP persuaded artists to include breaks in their music and finally pushed the genre out of being a cheap imitation of Detroit Techno.

Black Sands >

Smokers Delight >

Come Touch The Sun

18 >

Satta >

Third >

Soon It Will Be Cold Enough >

It couldn't possibly be because people genuinely like their music could it? Some people actually like to listen to music instead of trying to aimlessly justify why they think something is objectively bad because they feel like being a contrarian cunt.

And although I feel that you're way too hung up genres Vibert was never "IDM"

He had a huge influence on IDM, though. Aphex and Squarepusher cited him as an inspiration that caused them to start using breaks.

If you enjoy IDM more power to you. But just as you're free to listen to it, I'm free to explain it's flaws.

Sounds like you're just passed Brit artists are more popular

It's pointless to attempt to explain an entire genre's flaws since the term is loosely applied and there's a lot of variation between artists. That's like saying rock music is objectively bad because they're not influenced enough by Detroit techno. There's absolutely no point when it's entirely subjective. Regardless your initial criticism of IDM artists that you don't understand their popularity and imply that people only enjoy Aphex Twin's music because he has an eccentric personality. That's such a ridiculous criticism of an artist and makes you seem like a contrarian prick.

What...?

I mean, earlier, you - or somebody else ITT - criticized Moby on the basis of his personality. Not musical reasons. Just saying.

I stand by my points about IDM because you've done nothing to refute them.

just all the mention of the Belleville 3 was all