Sort of new to owning a computer

sort of new to owning a computer
whats the safe temperature for a cpu?

Other urls found in this thread:

products.amd.com/en-us/search/CPU/AMD-FX-Series/AMD-FX-8-Core-Black-Edition/FX-8350/92
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicon
youtube.com/watch?v=Xf0VuRG7MN4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Depends on the CPU and you can quickly google it yourself.

Optimum range is 100-150C

this
just google stuff
everything with self build pc's is tested online and you get benchmarks and advice

>sort of new to owning a computer
what year is this?

this

thanks anons

had the computer for 3 months

Do you need help finding out which CPU you got?

most are 70c max some are lower. cpuid is good for checking your temp.

no no no

yea
ive no idea how to find out

mine reaches 65c

most cpus can safely go to 90+ C

If you're on windows, rightclick the start menu icon and select system.

Are you retarded? With newer cpu's/hyperthreading it spreads the heat among the processors

90 degrees celsius is fine, but anymore and it's overheating. CPU can get much hotter than the GPU and handle it.

thanks

amd can reach 200C without problem

I've got a cheap USB powered desk fan which I lay down on its face where my laptop feels the warmest. Ghetto solution.

I have an i3 and a Titan X and my cpu hovers around 60-70c

>amd
why are you heating up your garbage user?

amd is better than intel and nvidia though

apple is better then shitty ghetto nigger pc's

any good sites to look up this stuff?
i cant find a clear answer

wew lad
didn't try to hard on that one didja?

>2017
>still using a computer
KEK

no
i was just baiting
i use pc
apple is shit

What year is this? 70C was max for old single core CPUs.
All modern CPUs spread heat among cores so if you have 4+ cores normal temp is about 100C-150C and you should start to worry only at about 250C.

What cpu do you got?

Typically thermal throttling takes place at about 85-90c. It essentially won't let you go any higher than that to protect itself from burning out.

AMD FX 8350 eight core

>Hi guis! I'm a toolbag, just look at how much better my stuff is than yours! :D

Only if your processor is single core.

For dual core it's ~200c and quad ~250c.

That's bullshit and I don't know where you got that info.

My i5 4690K hit it's thermal limit at about 85C and started throttling. That's about the standard temp for most CPUs, single, dual, quad, or octo.

>AMD FX 8350
products.amd.com/en-us/search/CPU/AMD-FX-Series/AMD-FX-8-Core-Black-Edition/FX-8350/92

All depends on the CPU, the best method I've found to determine what is an ideal temp is the following:
1. buy some thermal paste before hand( you will need this to reattach the fan.
2. Turn off your computer and open it up( make sure you static free)
3. remove the heatsink and fan assembly ( this is to break the old thermal paste)
4. Clean off the heatsink and cpu with some TIM-clean solution.
5. Once clean, place cooler back onto CPU but don't screw it in.
6. Keep tower on its side and boot it up.
7. Download Heavyload stress tester from Jam software (free software).
8. Run the test.
9. Get a stopwatch or use your phone and start it as you remove the heat sink.
10. We are waiting for your computer to blue screen, don't worry it won't break it as your computer is smart enough to turn off when it gets too hot to damage anything. Stop the timer when it blue screens.

So as a rule of thumb, if it blue screened under
10 sec = safe temp is 100 degrees

Hope this helps user, I know its a lot of work but its the best method to test it. You can't trust some websites out there as they give false temps.

Well, the melting point of silicon is roughly 1414 °C, so keep it below that.
Protip: the industry is taking advantage of computer enthusiasts with something called CPU Coolers, with a temperature range so high there is no need for such a device.

References:

Silicon. (2017, March 13). Retrieved March 15, 2017, from en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicon

thanks again user

Go to Sup Forums
Rule of a thumb:
74 C max in general usage
82 C max under synthetic load (like OCCT)

instructions unclear; thumb stuck in ass

lol moron

the smaller the production nm is the lower the temperature needed to damage critical components, keep it below 100, should be 50 idle, unless you are a moron who applied the thermal paste wrong

Its so true, I can't believe they have been conning the computer enthusiasts community for so long and have gotten away with anyone reporting on it. I've found out around 2009 and since then I've ran both my Q6600 and i7 without any coolers and never had any problems. Both systems ran AAA games no problem and saved my self money in the process

50 idle? You call me a moron for using satire, but you use toothpaste for thermal compound?

I don't remember where i found the article, but Intel had said before the release of Ivy Bridge that the processor would be so efficient and cool-running that there wouldn't be a need for a cpu cooler.

stop trying to make people damage their shit

youtube.com/watch?v=Xf0VuRG7MN4

You just love sucking dead man's dick, don't you? Fucking faggot.

Why pay more for shit that your not going to actually use? You can have $100 worth of old shit parts and slap a new gpu in there, most games run wholly dependent on gpu and the cpu intensive games do not require you have a $350 intel processor. I know 4 people off the top of my head that have a no compromise 1080p gaming system running off phenom II quad cores. Buying intel/nvidia is like buying apple products, you are keeping a sellers market alive by overpaying, just buy the cheap shit and get almost the same results with less than half the money.

>he doesnt overclock his shit

>The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.
Stop trying to make people spend unnecessary amounts of money on parts they don't need.
>CoolerMaster shill

Oorus. Jk

This, the safe temperature can vary a lot.
And when it comes to laptops, it's an entirely different story.

get a fucking job
top of the line pc is literally 1/40 of an average adults yearly wage and will last 4-5 years

fucking poor fags

My point exactly. Idle temps should never exceed 40C.

>my i5
Kek fuck off gullible retard,
>im ok with paying +40-60% more for a 10% performance increase.
Amd closed the gap, they might not be on top but Price vs. Performance is a no brainer at this point.

What's this "Google" you speak of?

You need to get your shit together son, its people who scare others away from exploring their PC's in fear of breaking then. These are all pre 2000 CPU, The technology they used then are not as advance and nowadays, they changed the way they are created around 2007 to be more efficient and produce less heat. Thats why back then you needed massive coolers and they was noisy.

I know, right? I paid $70 for an I7-2600+motherboard combo and $50 for a GTX 580 and can play any modern game with reasonably good settings.
My bro's $800 system with an FX-8000 series cpu and GTX 960 isn't much better than mine. My I7 is a few years older and a few points better than his CPU (passmark), and his gpu is only a few hundred points on top (passmark).

Strange question to ask. Your system should automatically activate the fans as needed. Just be sure there is proper air flow and the computer in in room temperature conditions.

they produce less heat because less electricity is used because of a smaller component size, their upper limit is even less than they used to be, intel are already reaching the thermal limit of silicon components, the latest 14nm cpus FRY EASY

Its like difference between and Audi and Toyota. Yes both drive but one is clearly better but the poor fuck who can only afford the Toyota says shit like
>they both have wheels and do the same job

leddit fag, go home

Who the fuck buys a Titan x and then a shit CPU. You're fucking retarded

Not smashing top-tier gear, just saying that cpu coolers are irrelevant. Save $40-200 by not getting one. While you're at it, save money by not getting ram since L1 and L2 caches are getting bigger and SSDs are getting cheaper.

holy shit i feel so bad for your oc, a heatsink without a fan is so fucking pointless

Buy a cheap aio watercooler and never worry about it (excluding overclocking)

I keep my 6700k at 4.4GHz and it runs at around 25 celcius. So, aim for that.

Well, no. I clearly know the difference.
What IS different is that I'm a poorfag that can play the same games as my wasteful brother (who is also a poorfag, but obviously has different priorities).
Would I love a new system? Goddamn right.
Do I hate having to buy recycled parts? Goddamn right.
But I compromise here and there to make ends meet. All this BS about "PC's are so expensive" is garbage. My PC outperforms any of the consoles and give new systems (except for the most recent Intel and Ryzen) a run for their money.

>are you this thick??
You don't even NEED the cpu cooler bruh
Quit shillin dude.

Audi is a pleb brand dude, they only do better on paper. The parts are almost identical in any production sedan.

just skip the entire cpu newfag

Right? The southbridge takes care of all the I/O nowadays anyway.

>worry only at about 250C

Are you autistic?

What do you run liquid nitrogen through your cooler?

Optimum is as low as possible. But they all have different thermal comfort zones, laptop ones are 105C ish, but Desktop ones might start to be unhappy at 80C+.

Basically, on full load don't get it above 70 and you're good regardless of brand and chip really.

Liquid helium, bro.