soundcloud.com/jonathanflower
youtube.com/watch?v=Ro3eVIFzN5g
youtube.com/watch?v=N8Fx6uaCX4A&list=PL4xGYAi6-_z7DpcdmQ6O1jfhydmTBgioC
youtube.com/watch?v=ZB_fgkA3W80
youtube.com/watch?v=z3CMdOxPKW4
youtu.be/sq4Zp2qbrZ4
youtube.com/watch?v=Gbt9VKOCQGw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

SEbtP > Foxtrot = Nursery Cryme > TLDDoB > Tresspass > Trick of the Trail > who cares

>he doesn't enjoy technical wankery

youtube.com/watch?v=b05v-9kRLXE
chinese zeuhl

post pleb filters

soundcloud.com/jonathanflower

>obviously

>hasn't realised Phil Collin's Genesis is pleb filter

>SEbtP > Foxtrot

Perfect

Seconding this. Otherwise good ranking.

Red is their best album.

Discuss

Discipline and Larks' Tongues in Aspic exist.

Red > ITCOCK > LTIA > ITWOP > Lizard > Islands > Discipline

This take is hotter than the Sun.

My mom saw the Genesis on the Lamb tour. She said it was the most amazing concert experience ever.

>implying nursery cryme is better than lamb lies down

Lamb was just an excuse for more wacky costumes and monologues. Sure there are great songs on it but it ultimately feels distant and aimless as a whole.

rec me some proggressive electonic

What's the difference between post and prog?

Is this patrician?

*adds Twilight Alehouse*

Need to get some Gentle Giant out now, cause they go ignored for a long time in these threads. Unsure why. youtube.com/watch?v=Ro3eVIFzN5g If you are reading this and still unfamiliar with Gentle Giant, DO NOT LISTEN TO THIS ONE FIRST, IT WILL SPOIL YOU. Something like "The Advent of Panurge" is a better starting point.
Sister told me to play something on her iPad one day. I just picked something at random and landed on this. A sign of true patricianship?
He's right ya know.

Sure but wives of henry the eighth is danker

*blocks your path*

is this a real question?

Not really but yes.

larks> lizard=red>itwop>itcotck>islands>thrak>discipline
stop forgetting thrak u fucking newbs

What's the difference between a fen and a bog?

No, he's right.

>Islands and Discipline last

Rush is underrated on Sup Forums and overrated by nerdy dads

Sup Forums may love to jerk off to King Crimson and Genesis for 50 years, but Gentle Giant isn't ignored at all. In a Glass House is their best album though, so props for posting it.

>Chinese
:thinking:
Do you like Corima?

pic related

>Rush is underrated
bad =/= underrated

Red > Islands > Crimson King > Discipline > Larks Tongue = Poseidon > Lizard

I haven't listened to the others yet.

In comparison to those other two groups, they are. They went without almost any mention at all in the last thread. And agreed, however On Reflection has been in a heated fight with IAGH for their best track ever for quite a while now.

Of course it is !

Watcher of the skies vs. Moonlit knight?
Watcher imo

just bought this at the store

the song starless is one of the best things I've ever heard

Somebody posted this album a couple weeks ago and i've been in love with it ever since. The synths here are so good that they make me feel like a kid again

But what about their post Gabriel albums?

Duke is a guilty pleasure. I love it.

Is that Sean Penn on the far right?

He already named the best Collins album desu. Mad Man Moon and Entangled are top tier Genesis material as far as I'm concerned.
Moonlit Knight all the way. More going on, better produced, doesn't feel at all "rambly" like Watcher despite being even longer.

Moonlit Knight, definitely. Watcher of the Skies is great, but Moonlit Knight is a great opener and really gets you tapping.
I'll put Trick of the Tail above Trespass, and you're good to go.

I consider Collins-era to truly begin after Wind & Wuthering, because after Hackett left the band transformed into something different. If Hackett stayed, man imagine what they would've made.

can anyone here define prog for me? its major movements? its state in this day and age? just a noob trying to get a better understanding of prog so go easy on me lads ;__;

60s was pre-prog, with bands such as The Moody Blues or Procol Harum experimenting with classical elements, other artists such as Frank Zappa could be considered the foundation of Prog Rock as well. The genre really started to blow up in 1969, with King Crimson's In the Court of the Crimson King.

The 1970s is widely considered the heydey of the genre as bands such as Yes, Emerson Lake & Palmer, and Jethro Tull achieving commercial success (not to mention the plethora of other bands such as Gentle Giant or Genesis who were still pretty popular but never really made it big at this time). This commercial appeal would later be capitalized on in the late 70s, particularly with American bands such as Kansas or Styx. By the time the 1970s was ending, Prog was quickly fading away as it became considered too pretentious, or simply uncool in the face of the emerging punk movement (considered to be a backlash to genres such as Prog).

By the 1980s, Prog was widely swept under the rug, but a new movement emerged with the neo-prog movement lead by bands such as Marillion, Pallas, or Pendragon. Japan is also of note during this period, as many artists were starting to embrace the synth-heavy sounds of the 70s, which in particular influenced a lot of artists that would later become famous for their work with video game music such as Nobuo Uematsu or Motoi Sakuraba.

The 90s would see a worldwide renewed interest in the genre again, and bands such as Porcupine Tree, The Flower Kings, Anglagard, and Spock's Beard would come to prominence with a sort-of "revivalist" prog rock sound in their music, the Post-Rock movement that emerged during this decade is often included within the Prog Rock label.

The 2000s onward have seen alot of prog artists that have incorporated influences of genres such as Alternative Rock and Metal (Porcupine Tree, Dream Theater, Gazpacho, Oceansize, etc.), a lot of people criticize alot of the 80s onward for not truly being "progressive".

I hit the character limit but just wanted to say that I'm still missing a fuckton with this brief summary, anyone else can feel free to add on to this but in the end it really helps to just go on sites like RYM or even just Wikipedia and read up on and discover bands and the history behind them.

What makes this "art pop"? It sounds like very clean prog rock to me.

How is this prog to you? The songs are pretty simple in their composition, and there really isn´t any virtuosos playing, only Fripp in a couple of tracks.
I´d say the instrumentals are ambient/electronic and the songs with vocals are art pop

I´d like Discipline better than Red if it was better produced. It sounds very underwhelming. How is that an album 7 years older sounds so much better?
I´m glad Absent Lovers exists. Something like Thela Hun Ginjeet live is so much better than in studio

really appreaciate this user i'll do as you advised. lastly, what in your opinion are the defining characteristics of prog rock/metal?

>Lizards, In the Wake of Poseidon and Islands higher than Discipline
>smuganimegirl.jpg

Prog is for burn outs. Believe me

Well, the characteristics of prog depend on the band you look at, considering the moniker "progressive" was applied to bands that simply strayed from the commercial mainstream. Symphonic Prog bands like The Moody Blues or Emerson, Lake & Palmer employed classical composition techniques to their music, other bands like Pink Floyd or King Crimson simply got really experimental with their music (Floyd with a more psychedelic focus (despite them resenting that to my knowledge) and King Crimson experimenting with genres like free jazz on Larks or what could be called metal/proto-metal on Red), and then there's other subgenres like Zeuhl or RIO that had their own unique characteristics.

I'm not too really into Prog Metal so I can't give you a big explanation of it beyond incorporating select characteristics that I might have also just mentioned in this post (notably classic composition) in their music.

Also I should mention that the 80s also saw alot of UK bands like Yes and Genesis go the route of commercial appeal, which in particular made Genesis insanely popular during the Phil Collins years.

>imbailin Islands is worse than Discipline
I'll fight you, Islands is low-key their best album in general

youtube.com/watch?v=N8Fx6uaCX4A&list=PL4xGYAi6-_z7DpcdmQ6O1jfhydmTBgioC

youtube.com/watch?v=ZB_fgkA3W80

1. The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
2. Selling England by the Pound
3. Foxtrot
4. Nursery Cryme
5. Duke
6. Trick of the Tail
7. Genesis
8. Trespass
9. Abacab
10. Invisible Touch
11. We Can't Dance
12. Wind & Wuthering
13. And Then There Were Three
14. From Genesis to Revelation
15. Calling All Stations

youtube.com/watch?v=z3CMdOxPKW4

It's Geddy "Voted Best Jew Nose of All Time" Lee

I love Islands and Lizard and I really don't understand why they're so overlooked. I feel like maybe I like different things about prog than most people do, since I'm generally a lot less into the Wetton/Bruford stuff which everyone seems to prefer.

Can anyone recommend anything else like Lizard?

Bad opinions in this thread

ITCOTCK > Discipline > Red > Larks' Tongues in Aspic > Three of a Perfect Pair > Beat > Starless and Bible Black > Lizard > In the Wake of Poseidon > Islands

>Islands that low
I think there's been a misunderstanding- you're the one with the bad opinion, not them.

>he fell for the Islands meme

Eyyy. You look like someone who could use some recommendations. Whatchu like already?

This is the most underrated 70s prog album. Doesn't get no respect

Also, Wind and Wuthering is a great album by Genesis that gets completely ignored

YES. Thank you, I was trying to remember the name of this band/record the other day.

What don't you like about it? Personally I think going for a softer sound was a good decision- not only is there not much else like it in their discography (I guess Exiles is actually pretty Islands-esque), but there's also not much else like it from around the time it was released. There's a sort of fragile, melancholy quality about it that the band never quite revisited, which to me makes it a perfect farewell to Peter Sinfield's involvement in the group. It kind of feels like a predecessor to late-era Talk Talk and post-rock in general at times. Formentera Lady is a perfect opener- I like the the way it builds up, where it's sort of formless and every instrument's playing at once, slowly gaining form over time until Boz Burrell starts singing (his voice is insanely underrated to be honest, he fits the music he's singing to a t) and without warning the chorus kicks in. The outro and transition into Sailor's Tale (when the music switches from one ear to another) is worth mentioning as well. The later songs, specifically Song of the Gulls and the title track are just plain beautiful. To be honest, that title track might be the best King Crimson song, even better than Starless. The louder, more intense moments are good as well- Sailor's Tale seems to be the fan favorite, but I think The Letters is great as well. "IMPALED ON NAILS OF ICE" gives me chills every time. Even Ladies of the Road, a song I've seen get quite a bit of hate, is pretty fun. Sure, the lyrics are a little uncharacteristic of KC, but I enjoy it. Overall a great album in my eyes, and I'd like to hear your opinion on it. Sorry about blogposting.

oh fuck that post was a lot longer than I thought it would be

>tfw only listened to the first 4 KC albums so I can't get angry at people for dissing Lizard and Islands

Pls stop bullying

what does/prog/ think of Sylvan?

youtu.be/sq4Zp2qbrZ4

yikes

As an honest answer, I do like Islands. It's just my least favorite because it's incredibly bland in places. I'm not a big fan of post-rock, though I do love Laughing Stock and Spirit of Eden. The bottom line is that KC was never the greatest at subtlety, and Islands is their most subtle record. That's why the most consistently highest ranked KC records are some of their most visceral.

ITCOTCK>Red>Discipline>Larks tongue in Aspic>ITWOP>Three of a Perfect Pair>Thrak>everything else

AtT>In a Glasshouse>Octopus>s/t=Three Friends=Free Hand>everything else

I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and Against All Odds. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite.

underrated

>one of the most well known RPI albums of all time
>underrated

I mean, I love it, too, but that's silly.

thank you patrick

holy shit

80's Genesis is secretly patrician
youtube.com/watch?v=Gbt9VKOCQGw

>yfw he was right about everything

TFW you get your gf into Alan Parsons

lizard and islands are literal rough diamonds in the kc discography. i really enjoy them but i can understand why people do not enjoy them.

In the wake of Poseidon is the most underrated KC album

See, I think Duke is too different from the other 80s Genesis albums to be lumped into it. Duke has no one-finger keyboard lines, gated reverb, soul pop, or funky horns, and minimal drum machines. Not to mention it was recorded in a different studio and had a different producer.

Duke is really the last Genesis album to have that pastoral, flowery sound to it. I think Patrick was actually wrong to consider it the start of the "new Genesis"; that title belongs to Abacab.

USA would like a word with you

>foxtrot not first
>sebtp not second
>acacab better than wind and wuthering

Am i being trolled? Or are your tastes legitimately that horrendous?

Itcock, red, discipline, and larks tongues are objectively the best 4 kc albums, they are simply on another level to all the other ones. Lizard and Islands are arguably the next best but still nowhere near as good as the other 4.

>caring this much about albums I still rated in the top 3
>triggered from me actually liking Abacab
You didn't need to make a comment on my taste being horrendous when the changes you're suggesting are so small. Fucking autism.

>Itcock, red, discipline, and larks tongues are objectively the best 4 kc albums
Yes
>Lizard and Islands are arguably the next best
No
>nowhere near as good as the other 4
Yes. But note that Starless and Bible Black, Three of a Perfect Pair, and Thrak are all pretty close, and therefore objectively part of the second tier. I would maybe argue Lizard and Poseidon are mid tier as well.

Post underated prog