Is metal an acquired taste or are some people just not meant to like it?

I can't stand heavy metal, especially when it gets into heavier subgenres like death metal etc. I just don't get the weird nordic-ness and the deep grunting vocals.

I wish I did like it, because I feel like I'm missing out on a whole huge genre. Did anyone here start out disliking it but ease into it and grow to love it?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=suG-c_i2fBQ
youtube.com/watch?v=0MQfTawVLeI
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

extreme metal is hard to get into
maybe you want to go too fast? There's a lot of great non-extreme metal that you should take the time to appreciate before trying out more extreme stuff
but if you really want to go head first into metal with growling/unclean vocals in general, I'd reccomend this song
youtube.com/watch?v=suG-c_i2fBQ
and this album
youtube.com/watch?v=0MQfTawVLeI (it's like 60% clean vocals and 40% growling)
my mom loves both of those so I'd say they are good entry points

If things are too harsh for you, or even fast, you could try Epic Doom Metal. The first two Candlemass albums are great for such demands.

To be honest, I think it's like the blues. Some people just don't have it. I feel like I am one of those that's not meant to like metal, because I end up appreciating only the lighter metal albums that don't quite feel like they belong to the genre.

I guess you could try easing into it with black sabbath and shit. OR you could listen to something more extreme until you develop stockholm syndrome and start loving it

stockholm syndrome usually doesn't work
agreed, candlemass is god-tier
it's not because it's not brutal death metal that it isn't metal

You have to acclimatize to it, you start with hard rock then motorhead, sabbath, metallica, hardcore, and so on

Check out ATheist's first two records, great shit and not that hard to get into.

way too brutal for someone who says he can't get into metal at all dude

you'll like these

this

How is Megadeth numale?

don't answer to bait
even if this one is especially well crafted

I only really enjoy listening to extremely technical metal. And even then I only get in the mood to listen to it once every few months.

>look I posted it again

I've been listening to metal literally since birth (my dad's a huge classic metal guy, Sabbath/Ozzy/Dio, Maiden, Priest and the like) and it took til high school for me to be able to listen to the heavier sub genres, even now I'm still not super into it. Getting into metal is a slow process for most people, and there's a so many sub genres that almost nobody's gonna like them all or even most of them. Start with the classics and work your way forward, maybe check the /metal/ general for charts, and decide what sub genres are worth your time.

That being said, for the classics, which are much easier to get into, heres some to look into
>Black Sabbath
Their first 5 albums are imo the greatest album streak ever recorded. Ozzy and Dio are their former singers who have solo stuff, also good but not as essential.
>Iron Maiden and Judas Priest
Kind of cheesy, with operatic vocals and dual-guitar goodness. Much more 80s than Sabbath.
>Motorhead
Not much in terms of songwriting, but bring pure heaviness and speed like no one else.
>Metallica and Megadeth
Lumping them together because I'm not big on thrash.
>Sleep and Electric Wizard
Biggest bands in Doom Metal, basically a genre dedicated to worshipping Sabbath. Not nearly as classic as the others on this list but thats my personal preference showing.

>Sleep and Electric Wizard
that's stoner doom, a subgenre of doom
I would've put candlemass for doom

nowadays i can only stand the more extreme forms of metal like brutal death metal, drone, doom metal or grindcore

mostly because i find the whole culture surrounding metal music absolutely cringeworthy and these bands tend to be so obscure that to me they're faceless, but also because in such genres the focus lies much less on single band members flexing their instruments like bodybuilders awkwardly trying to impress a girl, instead the band creates a unified aural assault of sorts.

some of the more hardcore leaning stuff is nice aswell, i do love me some pig destroyer.

but anything that sounds like long hair, neckbeards and norse mythology... hell no. and don't get me started on the whole "metalheads desperately trying hard to prove that their shit is smarter than other music" aka djent, anything with orchestra in it, opeth et cetera.

Memes aside, these are almost all good albums

This could have just been titled metal for people who don't like metal. Would have triggered less autists. The trifecta of metal for people who don't like metal are Black, Stoner/doom, and Prog.

I grew into black metal and symphonic through blackgaze

I sorta get the appeal of prog metal, in that I like the albums I've heard but have never really felt drawn back to them.

farthest i've ever gotten into metal was listening to Pantera/Shadows Fall/Mastodon when i was younger. realized it's not for me. not necessarily a bad genre, just not my cup of tea. only thing i dont like is the massive hard on metalheads get for metal, but that's mainly only a vocal minority.