Vinyl or CD Sup Forums?

Vinyl or CD Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=UPc5frU8IQQ&t=170s
www115.zippyshare.com/v/bNNFmzSg/file.html
www14.zippyshare.com/v/qHacedeG/file.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Both. Cassetes too ;)

If I had to listen to physical media, CD. The ONLY good thing about records is the album art.

They both have their advantages. I've almost completed stopped purchasing CDs now though since it's so easy and often cheaper to just go with digital download in FLAC.

ok

>muh warmth

The only other positive I can think of is the album went out of print and only exists on vinyl.

Vinyl because it has more value.
I buy records but never listen to them, I only listen to digital music.

I like vinyl, but the prices now are fucking absurd. $25+ for a new album? Fuck you.

>I buy records but never listen to them

>vinyl sounds better
>flac sounds better

this, but i always listen to physical media

True patricians don't even remove the protective plastic wrap.

I'd say Vinyl has better value as a physical medium, but I think CDs sound better so sue me.

As a result, I have a small collection of Vinyl, where the stuff it comes with is cool or the record itself is a cool design, but I'll usually just go CD.

Admittedly the first vinyl I got was an album which had a bonus vinyl track that had no digital download online outside of youtube at the time.

CD. Vinyl is 5 times the cost.

This. If I REALLY like an album cover, I might buy a vinyl copy to frame.

>all these poorfags

Vinyl, both for cost and convenience

ok

>spending money on formats that will eventually decay and become unlistenable

In the case of vinyl, it decays with every spin on the turntable.

same

That's why you usually listen to the digital copy (that often comes with it) and treat yourself to the vinyl when you feel like it.

sitting round a record player shooting the shit > leaving a cd on while everyone ignores the music

the great thing about the record is that focus, even solo you will sit and only listen to music with no other distraction - ready to switch sides quickly every 15-20 mins

How the fuck is vinyl convienient in any way?

>takes up more space
>not able to be played in your car or anywhere you cant bring a record player
>keeping them clean
>maitaining your needle, drive belt, etc

>ADHD

>it decays with every spin on the turntable
True, but I doubt you'd notice unless you played it to death on a shit turntable.

CD is for listening
Vinyl is for collecting

this

I do listen to my records, but it doesn't happen often.

Lossless streaming via Tidal. CD quality at minimum and 99% of the time has what I'm looking for, even relatively obscure music.

I'm assuming this is bait, but I'm taking it anyway. Vinyl is the least convenient medium out of every available one, what are you talking about? A DECENT non-shitty starter table is gonna run you $200-$300, then you need a pre-amp, and a set of speakers. Storing records takes up a HUGE amount of space if you buy all your music on it, too.

Is it actually lossless though? I can't imagine that they'd actually be streaming true CD quality files.

>obsessing over the visual aspects of music

This. Crosley tier turntables are the only thing that will cause significant damage within the span of a human lifetime.

Vinyl, tapes, flac

Fuck cds they're waste material

It streams at 1411kbps, which is higher than your standard flac rip (in my experience usually 700-900kbps). The audio quality is superb, I no longer bother listening to my flac files unless it's one of the very few things not on Tidal.

The cost is somewhat ridiculous though (£20 per month in the UK), if Spotify was to launch a lossless service at a better price I'd jump ship.

kys bourgeois scum

Album covers can really make or break an album for me. There are albums that I refuse to listen to because the covers are so shitty.

>There are albums that I refuse to listen to because the covers are so shitty.
Jesus Christ. I mean, presentation is worth something, but not to that extent...

if thats true then you should KYS

autism

It really depends. If it's some artist I don't know and this shitty album cover is the first thing I see I'm not even gonna bother. But if it's an artist I already know, and one of their album covers is shitty I'll still listen to it cause I already know I like their music.

Vinyl

Crosleys are complete shit, but they won't hurt records as bad as people say. Some of the decent quality vintage turntables are what do the most damage. There are even nice sounding modern cartridges that require lots of tracking force, and they'll do more damage than a crosley.

youtube.com/watch?v=UPc5frU8IQQ&t=170s

vinyl is for 10/10 albums only

if i collected that would be my attitudes

They still do unnecessary damage though. It should have external speakers and a weighted tone arm. If you have to put fucking quarters on top pf the cartridge to prevent groove skipping, buy a new fucking turntable.

SO IS THE KEY TO NEVER PLAY YOUR VINYL RECORDS?!?!?!?

vinyl rips sound terrible, no matter what the album. the choice is fairly obvious.

The key is to not be a Jew. Spend money on your turntable.

Considering there's basically no use for physical media anymore apart from collection purposes, gonna have to go with vinyl.

Holy shit that video is awful. I only have very basic knowledge on the subject and i can still tell he's full of shit
>I have audibly and visibly degraded the quality of the record using a much better tone arm than the ones in question
>Its not destroyed so bad it doesn't work so all the people saying crosleys are bad are wrong.
And his comments are even worse
Someone calls him out on this and he bascially just calls him underaged and essentially says that since it will never be perfect you shouldnt care about quality at all and deal with any damage.

Assholes who do shitty experiments and pretend to have proved anything piss me the fuck off

Also, from what I've read, while its important, tracking force isn't the only thing that decides if a table hurts your records. It seems like the best option is just to go by reviews and user advice

Both

I'm currently switching from vinyl to CD's and cassette. I can't fucking deal with how clumsy LP's are. I'm selling the last bit of my equipment this weekend.

>have to flip sides 2 - 4 times throughout the course of an album depending on the length of them
>have to carefully place a needle or wait for the slow ass auto-motor to do it
>have to clean and maintain them
>have to use a ton of shelf space to store them

It's literally pure autism. When I want to listen to music I don't want to feel like I'm working a part time job babysitting them.

Just download your shit then if you have too much ADHD

No. CD's sound amazing and are effortless.

And digital isn't? Literally the same shit, and even more convenient.

So I recently bought a reissue of Unknown Pleasures and I was playing it calmly, just started but my sister and my brother was over and he had brought his stupid ass little son and his ugly ass wife, my turntable doesnt have one of those plastic covers for retarded people, so, his son who's like 2 years or less idk just fucking touched the record and it bumped out of the platter and it was half in half out, and the needle was still on the record and it was still spinning and FUCK man it was torture, after I noticed bc sudden crack and horrible sound I ran to fix the record and ff little kid his mum just took his hand and walked away what a fucking brat, and then when I was putting on side B once I made sure the kid wouldnt touch the record bc he fell asleep, She Lost Control was starting then my sister just out of the blue GRABBED the fucking needle and tried to remove it but terrible pulse and it just moved all over the fucking record and it did another ff scratch

So fast forward to today, that was like a month ago and havent played the record since until now, I examined it today and my fears were true, the side A has this HUGE scratch and when I played it, Disorder would keep skipping parts and it lasted literally like a minute, Day of the Lords also skipped a lot and I just couldnt take it anymore, I ninja'd the needle and removed the record, side B wasnt scratched tho somehow

I'm so fucking angry right now, is there anything I can do to fix my record? I never had to deal with scratches before, but now that I recently got back into analogue well, this happened.
Is it possible to fix it somehow? Or should I just buy a new one?

iirc you cant fix it but I mean, there must be a way?
Pic related is the scratch and even though you can see it, it is much more visible irl
>end of blog

NOTHING of value was lost

Guess I'll have to buy a new one then, it wasnt expensive desu like $13

in what fucking world are you going to listen to a fucking CD? just plug in an aux cord jesus its 2017.

at least with vinyl you have something to hold and collect with a legit reason.

if you're collecting CDs or cassettes you will never have friends

you're a fucking tard. Just listen to it digitally then you shit. You literally gain nothing from "switching to casssette" like a fucking edgelord.

get a legit record player where you can actually press a button and be done.

jesus christ you fucking kids

why do you guys care so much

Fuck off normie
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I just got these today, came with hats, and the vinyl sounds dahm good for being colored(2 LP's, one red, one blue) and a poster, and one card per pack for a limited hat, and i got the CD cause why not.

But in all honesty, id listen ti all of them, thankfully, i got a really expensive table from the 80's and tons of album only music, so i got some really rare records, like the amazing Spiderman studio copy, my frand fater was a radio dj, so i got well maintained ones. (from what im told, its a higher quality record) so basically depending on my mood, ill listen to whatever, becides, all the flak files I have (thx itunes, you can do something else than look cool) came from cd anyways, thats my opinion anyways.

This. The visuals do not determine an album's value but should represent it right.

This. To those collecting records, know that ot is a burden, both on money and time.

as an avid collector of vinyl and CDs, CDs are objectively the better physical media. There is something to be said for vinyl, though. The simplicity of the technology is just astounding, and it's a really exciting hobby. My current turntable is a 1978 Onkyo that I got broken on Craig's List, and I restored it myself. I have some cool ass CDs but I'm more proud of my vinyl, there's just something about it that's very satisfying.

I used to do this, but I realized it was a stupidly expensive hobby if I wasn't even going to use what I was buying. I have some pretty rare shit that I'll play because I know my turntable won't eat it up and I know how to the record properly.

>buying new records
Have fun lining Jack White's pockets

You're right but with the right equipment and the proper care it's negligible.
currently use a cartridge with 1.25g of tracking force, can confirm this is correct

Mine has auto-return but you have to drop the needle yourself. Literally never had a problem.

feelsbad
You're probably fucked, honestly. I got a copy of unknown pleasures for like 2 bucks, shouldn't be hard to replace. Also, get a dust cover you degenerate. It'll keep shit from sticking to the stylus/platter because of static.

this

cd if you like convenience and quality, vinyl if you like art and hands on

Nobody but the biggest autist audiophools uses vinyl as their "workhorse" listening setup; it's all about chucking one on when you're in the mood for it, which makes the inconvenience of it not really a problem. I think there's a certain charm to it as a kind of retro music ritual. That's the beauty of vinyl today, you don't HAVE to do that shit all the time. I do 99%+ of my listening fully digital.

Also, cassette is a turbo-meme and I can't believe there are people getting back into it. It's a properly outdated, obsolete format that has none of the strong points of either CD or vinyl while having the worst presentation, durability and sound quality. The only things it ever had going for it was that it was cheaper than vinyl and it was portable, both of which are 110% irrelevant in 2017 since CDs cost about the same as cassettes and any portable music needs have been well and truly met by digital for well over a decade.

Anyone who denies the superior quality of vinyl is a maximum pleb. That said, I use my iPod for all my listening anyway.

>vinyl rips sound terrible, no matter what the album. the choice is fairly obvious.
Very wrong. Do you know rippers like Pbthal, DocRob? This guys are god tier rippers. Honestly, only some rips sound better then the Cd. It depents on the mastering and so on.
But most time these rips are very very close to the cd. You wouldnt notive any differents.

Which shows how good vinylrip can be

I could post a sample file
sorry for my bad english guys

i made that low quality bait like 9 hours ago

I think I`ll start with this, ok?
I upload 02 - The Logical Song of the original 1st Press CD and Vinyl US Pressing for comparison, If you like.

/thread

>mfw reading this thread
It embodies everything wrong with this board. Kys vinylfags, I swear you're dumber than your beloved piece of plastic, period. There's no gain in using a turntable and if think so you are severely damaged, period.

This.

Records are fun for me, I'm not gonna fully autist and spend +50€ on an album that I have a chance of not digging enough to even make it worthwhile to own on vinyl. I buy records that I like, I only buy blind if the record is cheap or just highly praised and recommended. Buying an album on vinyl means that I like the album, that I consider it worthwhile to spend money, space on my shelf, time and patience to let the needle drop on it. Thrifting is the time to go blind and just cop cheap stuff that seems interesting.

So in short, I own cassettes and CDs on the side, but vinyl is my go-to format for physical shit.

There's gain if you turn up the volume.

For comparison:

A&M 393 708-2, CD 1st Press FLAC 16/44.1
>www115.zippyshare.com/v/bNNFmzSg/file.html

US Pressing Vinyl FLAC 24/96
>www14.zippyshare.com/v/qHacedeG/file.html

I would add durability to that. Didn't matter much if you put a cassette in the case or not, whereas a CD gets scratched to fuck. If you travel a lot that is a bonus.

I do agree with you though, cassette is completely obsolete, the only excuse for it now is if your car is an old banger without a CD player.

>unironic communists

lmao off my board underage b&

cds because i'm poor and can play them in the car

theres gain if you turn up the gain, not volume
dingus

I'll give you that, cassettes will fair better out of the case than a CD. But if you actually put them away and give them a reasonable amount of care, a CD will last longer and sound better the whole time.

Even if my car only had a cassette I'd probably rather buy one of those little cassettes with the headphone jack sticking out of it and play shit off my phone.

Owning music that is cassette only, is the only excuse I can really think of.

soulseek 320k mp3

I mean technically we're both right. I was just talking about a gain in volume.

fpbp

Vinyls and their sleeves are often gorgeous. I do like them, but I have none and will never buy any. It's just neither my generation nor is it my preferred format. CDs offer the quality and convenience that I want, and there's plenty of nice artwork on CDs and in the jewel cases too, so it's not as though you're losing out on that either.

>he doesn't like the aesthetics.

Both, even tapes are cool but I'll use my Spotify anyway.