/daily/ - nihilism edition

The point of these threads is to encourage people to look for new and interesting music. We do this by listening to and ideally discussing albums we've never heard before. Many of us already listen to new music daily, these people are in it to venture "out of their comfort zone" by listening to albums they otherwise wouldn't have, or just to have a good time.

>make charts
neverendingchartrendering.org/

>listen to tunes
plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel

>templates/listenalong schedules
daily-mu.blogspot.com/p/welcome.html

>discord
discord.gg/8exuEmG

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=PCY0aeUx-Ns
youtu.be/M2BhZ3Je8Uo
youtu.be/a2SDmZzcUlI
youtube.com/watch?v=G6SPXDG0Veo
youtube.com/watch?v=XBvR3iqTKEo
youtube.com/watch?v=Xb1WntjHZso
youtu.be/ceLQSdxPCBw
rateyourmusic.com/~borzoi
youtube.com/watch?v=n48RyNTHyz0
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/ігор-цимбровський/przyjdz-aniele/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/янка/продано/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Margo Guryan - Take a Picture
This had a super strong opener and a super strong finisher, but everything in between just fell flat. Nothing else really stood out to me as different, and it just kinda bored me. Too bad, because if every song was as good as the first and last, this would be at least a 3.5

>Keiji Haino - I Said, This is the Son of Nihilism
Decided to try one of Keiji's solo albums for his bday and since I've been in the mood for Fushitsusha and related lately, and holy shit this was good. There seems to be several parts to this song, and they all kick ass, whether its the waves of noise or the quiet noodling. Keiji's vocals are so strained and passionate, and his guitar playing is all around awesome. I'll definitely be digging deeper very soon.

Wack

Ground-Zero - 革命京劇 (Revolutionary Pekinese Opera) Ver.1.28 [Kakumeikyōgeki]
In this album it sounded like they threw a bunch of shit at a wall to see what would stick. And fortunately, a lot of it did! Hard to digest in one listen but it was for the most part enjoyable. At times it felt like they were being too liberal with the samples and being loud and wacky just for the sake of being loud and wacky, which resulted in a few parts being quite messy, but I guess that's what some people like about it. One of the more unique listens I've had in awhile, and because of that I will be returning to it soon.
3.5/5

what next

youtube.com/watch?v=PCY0aeUx-Ns

Ksiezyc

>Reminder
Nihilistic:
youtu.be/M2BhZ3Je8Uo
Edgy Bullshit:
youtu.be/a2SDmZzcUlI

>Reminder
Nihilistic:
youtu.be/M2BhZ3Je8Uo
Fun:
youtu.be/a2SDmZzcUlI

oh my god how have i not seen this

>Ksiezyc
will do

no dude, other way round

yikes

yikes rhymes with you're wrong i'm right

GG Allin

AKA

talentless poser trash

Ground Zero borrowed heavily from Cassiber, and Revolutionary Pekinese Opera sampled from the Heiner Goebbels / Alfred Harth album Frankfurt - Peking. Goebbels plays keyboards in Cassiber and Harth plays saxophones and other wind instruments.

This should put it more into context:
youtube.com/watch?v=G6SPXDG0Veo

p sure swans is on the official chart but not him
now you fool also wasted some perfectly good trips look at yourself

Repost Haino flowchart plz

Pretty sure you're a troglodyte faggot who can't type because of their new age ADHD

Previous thread:

>new age ADHD
youtube.com/watch?v=XBvR3iqTKEo

adhd is a meme and i aint no dinosaur

Asked last thread but is anyone interested in helping out with the new /daily/ site? Shoot me a message on RYM or I guess just hmu on here if you wanna help maintain it/improve it

was stuck with spotify so i couldn't get to BLA today soz

Paco de Lucía - Fuente y caudal (1973)
>flamenco

de Lucía's performance here is probably the best non-Fahey guitar performance I've ever heard put on record. His technique is astounding, he makes every single complex thing he does sound so effortless, like making one guitar sound like two is nothing at all. When he's solo he gets a bit wanky and overly technical, but the opener with a full band, along with the songs that utilize percussion or light background vocals, are incredible. Definitely gotta look into more flamenco.

3.0+

Erykah Badu - Baduizm (1997)
>neo-soul

Smooth as silk without ever sacrificing it's passionate conscious edge. Badu is a great vocalist, the jazzy vibes in her voice recall Billie Holiday and Nina Simone, but she still develops her own playful personality on the album, especially on the skits here that actually have musical merit on their own. Instrumentally it's a tad too smooth and monotonous, especially since it so rarely takes the hip hop influence that guides this album's best track, but it goes down really easy and it's super enjoyable.

Jimmy Eat World - Clarity (1999)
>alternative rock, emo

Really standard poppy emo. I had high hopes for this, a seemingly acclaimed record from a band I only knew from a (really great) fluke hit, but it takes so much from other bands like Sunny Day Real Estate and Mineral without ever adding it's own original spin on the sound. The long songs are tedious, the short songs leave no impression, and it's an incredibly bloated album. The vocalist is fucking incredible, though, and the drum machine use is great. I also have to commend the opener and "Just Watch the Fireworks", which are both beautiful tracks.

2.0+

Don't feel like typing up a review for Ksiezyc, but I really wasn't a fan. Folk is far from my favorite genre, and these songs never developed or went anywhere.

pick a thing

Great taste user!!

thanks, tripfriend!

Jimmy Eat World was one of the few emo groups I really dug, I kinda want to go back to their stuff a few years later/ now that I'm into more music

Do that McLean album soon!

d-plan

What's up my dailybois?

lol the owl one
hey

Quick bump before I hit the hay. What's your week looked like /daily/?

weak*

Pretty OK I would say

Zappa gets pretty nihilistic here with this guitar solo, the "last imaginary guitar solo" the character in the song plays. Good listen if you don't know his stuff.
youtube.com/watch?v=Xb1WntjHZso

Heard a bit of Yellow Swans - Going Places, and I can't wait to listen to all of it
And the new Ryuichi Sakamoto is p o p p i n man, that guy is swood

are you me 2 years ago

whatchu think of In Colour and Actor ;o

finishin up the last of ur drone rn sir that's what

>John Coltran Quartet - Crescent
>bubblegum bass

After I stopped spazzing out from the mixing, I was able to enjoy this for its solid line-up (McCoy Tyner, Jimmy Garrison, my niBBa Elvin Jones) and easygoing chemisty, though this most definitely seems to take a step back when it comes to Coltrane's other works.

Coltrane also literally takes a step back to give the trio its moments: Garrison's lone bass solo on Lonnie's Lament is wonderful. The title track is gorgeous and fleeting in itself, and The Drum Thing gives Jones moments with lightly tapping toms to becoming the entire percussion section of a jungle tribe.

Decent, but lacking in really being beyond that. Maybe it really was a goodbye to Eric Dolphy, as someone mentions in the reviews: a languid tone hangs over some of these tracks.

7/10

>Jorge Ben - Africa Brasil
>Samba-Rock, Funk, Soul

S'alright. Maybe I'm not in the right mood for it. Maybe having lived near beaches for most of my life has dulled me to it. Maybe it's the choice of electronic guitar and bass that dulls the foreign vibe of it. Maybe it's Jorge Ben's voice, which is certainly bright but perhaps a bit too light for its envioronment. I think I'm just not in the right mood for it right now.

I mean, it's a pop-based album for sure, with some nice choices of native percussion from Ben's home country, but I have a nagging feeling that not knowing the lyric's meaning is giving this album an advantage over its simple catchy hooks.

Did like tracks like "Meus Filhous, Meu Tesoro", Xica da Silva. The closer had that push that I was looking for in vocals, and saved a good portion of the album for me.

6/10

>Alice Coltrane - Ptah, The El Daoud
>Spiritual Jazz, Post Bop

hooray more left ear sax

Papa Pharoah Sanders saves the day with a yelping and skillful solo in the first track, with Alice indulging in surrealism and the Egyptian motif of the album cover, following Sanders. Her piano is no joke: better than the last 10 jazz albums, I'd say, low fidelity and all.

Turiya & Ramakrishna is a sparser and dryer traverse through stringed sands, before Blue Nile comes in with a frickin harp and woodwinds-- a great call-response between this album's two middle tracks. It does seem to meander a bit , following this neat exchange.

Mantra opens up with a darker vibe, being the most free-jazz out of most of the album. More sleigh bells, a deep cello, Coltrane's piano on edge, and Henderson(?) straining his sax to instill anxiety -- this is the highlight of this album.

A solid final listen on this chart. Didn't even know Coltrane's wife even arranged stuff in the first place, but if she's willing to do themed albums like this, I'm interested in hearing more.

7/10

========================

aaaaand that's all for my first drone. Lots of memorable albums for sure, Woolite. I think each album in the corner of this chart are my favorites, actually.

Pretty much ?

I mean, In Colour and Actor are albums I return to often. They're good car albums, as are Congratulations and Multi-Love. Not really shit I listen to when I'm by myself, but good for group situations.

Where do I start with Fish's drone

>Congratulations and Multi-Love
>good car albums
yes true
>In Colour
some of it yeah, some of the album can be a bit too cold
>Actor
uh idk bout that

Also, Going Places is such an amazing record. I've been meaning to return to it, thanks for reminding me!

You go:

White Light -> Songs of LC -> Long Season -> Minor Threat -> Since I Left You -> Blind Willie -> The Golden Record -> Uncle Meat -> Flood

>Actor, uh idk bout that
I really like to play it in the car, I don't really care if it's upbeat or not, I like to sing along.

I was imagining of how some of my friends would react to Vincent in a car ride considering their tastes (Jpop, prog rock, movie soundtracks, etc. etc.)

Also what's with the four replies all at once tho

What are the greatest lo-fi singer-songwriter records of all time? (Excluding The Exhalted Garden, yamir and Even Oxen projects of course)

I'm going to bed rn but yeah I'd be interested. I'll talk to ya tomorrow ;)

nuttin'

Joe's Garage is in a lot of ways underrated, but I would never in good faith recommend it on /daily/.

I'm a meme but Little Kid, Elliot Smith Sparklehorse, and The Microphones are my favorites.

I listened to It Was Hot, We Stayed in the Water recently for the first time in years and I thought I wouldn't like it like I used to, but I was honestly pretty blown away.

P good except for damn

my week's p meme
decent RPO onion tbqh
r u into Steely Dan
hey someone else has heard that Yuki Saito release

what'd you think of it

Ry Cooder
Boomers Story

youtu.be/ceLQSdxPCBw

I love it, really comfy. At first I gave it 2.5/5 but I'm starting to like it more. Especially when she sings in English
"Oooh longking for yuuuu
Caring for yuuu"

What about you?

can i get a fucken uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

uhhhhhhhhhhhhh morning

uhhhhhhhhh

Hello /daily/, gonna try Mac DeMarco later, don't really know much of what to expect. Been trying to clean a bit of my backlog so been playing Nirvana, Robert Wyatt and the last two Steely Dan albums. Rock Bottom is very odd, it does everything that I usually dislike but for some reason like it. How are all of you doing?

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I also tried Mac some weeks ago, you shouldn't expect wonders but expect chill music, good in the background

Thank you Fish

why did i ever stop listening to jazz
i am big idiet

wew you sure like your snoop dogg
i should relisten to that busdriver one, completely forgot abt it

whatcha think of Noon Chill
Simply Are and Anything are so good that I barely remember anything else from it but i still love listening to it

idk but save fishmans for last, for the mem

best tom waits

It's pretty good stuff ye. Maybe I'm just a weeb tho.
jim did u send your rec already

>Maybe I'm just a weeb tho.

I've never considered myself a weeb but after listening to city pop for weeks now I'm starting to doubt myself

did

Uh, hi!

Thanks mate, trying to pace my way through the Sup Forumscore chart, any idea where I should go next?

The Durutti Column are godly, nice collage.

one of my favorite albums of all time (Songs by Sugar Babe) is city pop desu

you got an RYM btw
danke

What have you liked most so far?

Talking Heads - Remain In Light is essential of course but I often tell people to listen to other Talking Heads stuff first, it makes you appreciate Remain In Light more in my opinion.

Sugar Babe is nice, I've listened to lots of Taeko Ohnuki and Tatsuro Yamashita solo but I haven't really gotten into Sugar Babe as much as I would like to yet.

One of my favorite albums of all time is Naoya Matsuoka - 夏の旅 so I understand you

Yeah it's rateyourmusic.com/~borzoi

Figured I'd save Remain in Light for much later (when I've listened through their stuff in chronological order, as you suggested), listened to half of it in the car and from what I've heard it has the potential to become one of my favourite albums.

Of the stuff I've liked the most, my favourites on the chart would be (in no specific order);
>Arcade Fire - Funeral.
>Dismemberment Plan - Emergency & I.
>Have a Nice Life - Deathsconsciousness.

>USA - s/t.
>New Order - Power, Corruption & Lies.
>King Crimson - Red.
>Butthole Surfers - Psychic Powerless.
>PiL - Metal Box.

>Flying Lotus - Cosmogramma was the only electronic album that really blew me away, liked the others though not to the same capacity.

>Vektor - Outer Isolation, was the only metal album I really liked on the chart so far (loved Holy Mountain though not so much Dopesmoker).

That's an interesting pick for a favorite. Never even heard of it before but will check it out sometime. Added you btw.

Sounds like a good plan.

I'd say listen to Duster - Stratosphere next.
After that, maybe Built To Spill and Brand New

Also some albums that are great to have heard because they have influenced alot and might help you like other things are:
Suicide - Suicide
A Tribe Called Quest - Low End Theory
Brian Eno - Another Green World
This Heat - Deceit
Swans - Filth

They aren't necessarily masterpieces or anything, but they are important to listen to in my opinion

Awesome thing by the way, I've always wanted to do something like this too

>he's only listened to one jazz album from the chart
how about listen to all of those

oh wew why isnt that mutant literally any other release of his

Yeah I found a Naoya Matsuoka record (日曜島へ) in a small record store in Stockholm and all of his stuff is great but 夏の旅 really stuck with me for some reason, it's just everything I like with city pop

oh yeah and Jazz can feel a bit overwhelming but at least listen to a few of the ones on the chart soon. A Love Supreme and Kind Of Blue are essential ESSENTIAL.

I'll get to Duster next then. Been wanting to listen to Built to Spill for years though I could never get my hands on Keep it Like a Secret (its not available on Spotify, roast me as many will, though I did download Perfect From Now On), ditto with This Heat - Deceit.

I'll admit to being intimidated by the length of some of the discographies on there, used to going through an artists and playing albums >10 times. Thinking of trying them whence I've listened to most of the rock sorta stuff. Have bought A Love Supreme so I suppose it makes sense to play it around now, got Headhunters cheap as well.

>its not available on Spotify

Yeah lol I understand you, that's why it took me a long time to listen to This Heat too. Then I found it for cheap at a record store

I'd recommend downloading soulseek to get the albums that aren't on Spotify, that's what I do. Then you can join our room and download our music libraries too ;)

damn bro, id kill to hear so many of these
these are essentials. then theres the albums that everyone loves like future days, wu tang, madvillainy. theres too much good stuff to list that isn't x'd though.
this is also very true. listen to black saint asap

>tfw /bant/
musique for this feel?

so many of these for the first time again i meant

hey nice quads senpai

I thought exactly the same when I looked through the chart, tfw I remember listening the The Devil And God for the first time when I was 15

holy shit second quad in like two days

think im gonna listen to a music today, from this chart
which one
also main source was good

Lol, bone thugs

I know what you mean, I've taken it much slower before to get the most out of a first listen, though the rate I was going at it'd take years to cover the chart.

mti
when i listened to yeezus freshman year my mind was blown to bits hahaha

>Lol
what did he meme by this
>bone thugs
will do

That you're about to listen to a bone thugs album

shoot ive been had

listen to rubber band man haha
youtube.com/watch?v=n48RyNTHyz0

>yeezus freshman year

holy shit you are younger than me

Most of /daily/ is like 18-22

yeah

Btw if anyone lives in Germany you need to go to this show

Anyone have any jazz or avant garde-esque recs with a French female singer? Oddly specific I guess, any good music with French female singer would do, pretty voices

comme a la radio

Gracias man, nice dubs

>dubs
who do you think i am

rosa yemen ep

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/ігор-цимбровський/przyjdz-aniele/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/янка/продано/

haha meme urls

Hey buddy, just reminding you to update the chart with pic related, which I remembered I bought in your city back when I lived there, how bout that.

This screen grab took so long to get and it isn't even worth it.

have you not listened to Logic Songs yet

post-punk is boring