The National

why the fuck Sup Forums never talks about them?!

currently listening to pic related, and liking it very much

so what it is? Sup Forums hates them or something?

yeah, Sup Forums pretty much hates them... Too boring I guess.
I like them, specially for High Violet, but I kinda think their shit is style over sustance, relying too much on Matt's (amazing) voice and the drums, which are great.

>their shit is style over sustance

what do you mean by that?

currently listening to Boxer, the lyrics are pretty great imo, and as for Matt's vocal and the drums, yeah, they are pretty great like you said

I like them but I never see them posted
I can't think of any reason why Sup Forums would hate them though. They're one of the better "chamber pop" bands.

High Violet was all over Sup Forums...6 years ago?

>believing Sup Forums is an authority in music

Don't fall for the meme, kid!

Sup Forumscore includes In The Aeroplane Over The Sea and American Football, and the only way for a person to think those albums are the greatest of anything is by having been 18 years old between 1995 and 2001

Fact is that Sup Forums is full of thirty year old people full of nostalgia, that miss their teenage summer days, that are represented by those albums

Sup Forums is basically Richard Linklater: the board

there are worst things on this site than Sup Forums btw

OP here
but In The Aeroplane Over The Sea IS a great album

also I know it's not Sup Forums, but what is wrong with Linklater?!

also see this

stop hating a board you actually use on a regular basis, stop being an edgy 12 yo contrarian

Nothing wrong with Linklater, but his films rely heavily on nostalgia, just like In the Aeroplane Over The Sea and American Football

they're shite

because they are fucking awful?

Sup Forums talks about The National plenty when there's a new album.

High Violet > Boxer > Trouble Will Find Me > Alligator > Sad Songs

ITAOTS is good, retard

Any news on a new album?

It is, but it is not as great as Sup Forums says

7/10

"no"

Boxer / High Violet / Trouble Will Find Me
is a great trilogy.

Hope for a new album this year

I love The National, but the fact is they are a "boring" band. Their genius lies in the subtleties, and even reveling in that kind of dull, lethargic mood they capture really well. A lot of stuff that Sup Forums as a collective nowadays seems to favor has some outwardly notable sonic or structural characteristic. Which isn't to say theres anything wrong with that, but I do think it shows a bit of a shallow appreciation of music when other artists with more traditional approaches are wholly discounted just for being "boring".

New album when? I swear I've seen like fifty p4k headlines about various National members involved in other people's side projects

>style over substance
>The National has no substance

god damn dude
the lyrics are incredible if you're a lonely 20-something and while the songwriting can get dull if you marathon their material, theyve got plenty of standout tracks

Sup Forums hates them because Fantano hates them

trouble will find me is a masterpiece

>while the songwriting can get dull if you marathon their material

true, but who marathons one genre whole day anyway?!

High Violet > rest
imo

Boxer was Sup Forums-core at one point.

High Violet is a good album, but their most recent release sounds like they've stagnated.