Was he really that special?

Was he really that special?
Is he overrated?
If it wasnt for him, somebody soon would do exact things as he did right?
I want to like him

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=MduQlWUoyhI
youtube.com/watch?v=YF4BtV6Axj8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Of course he was very influential, but a lot of it's down to his image and early death as it is his music. So his legacy never got tainted by dodgy '80s AOR solo albums and questionable MTV acoustic gigs in the '90s. Had, say, Jeff Beck died in 1970 instead, he'd probably be remembered in the same way.

Ritchie Blackmore summed up Hendrix quite well, imo

>"I was impressed by Hendrix. Not so much by his playing, as his attitude - he wasn't a great player, but everything else about him was brilliant. Even the way he walked was amazing. His guitar playing, though, was always a little bit weird."

>Was he really that special?
Yes.
>Is he overrated?
No.
>If it wasnt for him, somebody soon would do exact things as he did right?
Since this is true for anything, the argument is moot and thus irreverent
>I want to like him
You should like him if you enjoy him; innovation is irreverent.

heh Ritchie, arrogant as any britfag, but he is right, it was about appearence

>its true for general realitvity or other science stuff
when einstein was writing this nobody in the world could even start to understand what the fuck was he all about

his playing was special no matter what you think of his music. you don't need to force yourself to like his music to appreciate him.

What was it so special about the way his playing , beside holding pick in left hand lol

That logic applies to Hendrix as well.
Show me people who played like him that predated him.

nobody could understand the way he played the guitar? wewwww

it was all about acid

>Had, say, Jeff Beck died in 1970 instead, he'd probably be remembered in the same way.

Beck isn't black. As much as I love Hendrix, I think his race is a big part of his appeal and his legacy.

>when einstein was writing this nobody in the world could even start to understand what the fuck was he all about
I'm sure the people he plagiarized had a pretty good idea of it.

Sure.

>Show me people who played like him that predated him.
lmao, they didn't do tons of acid
also most jass players of his time were much more technically advanced

>no one understood Einstein
are you fucking retarded
he plagiarized Minkowski's work on space and time being vectors
he worked in a patent office and decided to try and publish work he'd encountered at his job

>jass
Is that your answer?
Show me a "jass" player who played something as heavy as Foxy Lady.

>also most jass players of his time were much more technically advanced
of course they were, Jimi knew almost nothing about musical theory and had terrible "form" while playing. he was extremely theatrical while constantly walking a tight rope musically, live at least. acts like Prince or Queen owe most of their aesthetic to him.

kek'd and /threaded
nice work OP debunking those Jazzfags

Are you aware of free jazz? The entire genre is arguably "heavier" (whatever that means) than Foxey Lady.

Digits confirm, Hendrix posthumously btfo

I am. So again, show me a song a jazz song as heavy as Foxy Lady that predated it.

Also played by a guitarist playing the guitar with his teeth and then lighting the guitar on fire.

there's nothing in the wide array of Jazz experimentation that sounds anything like Foxy Lady, stop deluding yourself

nice trips regardless

>heavy
even pink floyd was heavier, lol
youtube.com/watch?v=MduQlWUoyhI

That song was in 1969
Foxy Lady was in 1967

Was anything in our history not fake?

youtube.com/watch?v=YF4BtV6Axj8

These are probably pretty on the ball. Hendrix's appeal and legacy was helped by the fact he was a good-looking black guy, and his contemporaries like Beck, Clapton and Blackmore, while superior players, were scrawny not particularly good-looking Englishmen.

On the topic of that era though, it's interesting to note how notable Vanilla Fudge were at the time, being very influential on Zeppelin, Purple AND Sabbath, but were pretty much forgotten straight afterwards.

Another interesting one from Blackmore
>Back in the late Sixties, there were few organists who could play like Jon. We shared the same taste in music. We loved Vanilla Fudge - they were our heroes. They used to play London's Speakeasy and all the hippies used to go there to hang out - Clapton, The Beatles - everybody went there to pose. According to legend, the talk of the town during that period was Jimi Hendrix, but that's not true. It was Vanilla Fudge. They played eight-minute songs, with dynamics. People said, "What the hell's going on here? How come it's not three minutes?" Timmy Bogert, their bassist, was amazing. The whole group was ahead of its time. So, initially we wanted to be a Vanilla Fudge clone

Not as heavy. Sorry

That's exactly what I think about Foxy lady, but my opinion is objective unlike yours.

What album is that from? it sounds like a badly recorded bootleg which 1) would explain why you think it's heavier and 2) doesn't count, since it was never released.

>Beck, Clapton and Blackmore
History would remember them more fondly if 90% of their careers weren't fucking abysmal cheese rock. Clapton is especially guilty of this.

The Doors. Not Jazz, but yea

What song?

Also, maybe not heavy on guitar, but heavier all around was TVU.

90%? Jeff Beck pretty much gave up playing rock music back in 1974 (With the brief exception of the early '80s, where he was basically proto-Satriani. There and Back is one of the absolute best instrumental rock guitar records ever, however) and Blackmore's output from 1970-1980, bar a couple of missteps, is all pretty much essential dad rock that wrote the playbook that Mike Varney subsequently patterned an entire record company after. Though I'm assuming you don't really like the whole neo-classical thing.

I'll give you Clapton, but "rock" is a bit of a stretch for his post-D&D stuff.

>VU
>jazz

Break on Through. Although it's not as guitar filled, it's still upbeat and Jim Morrison gets a lot of energy.

If you look at my other post, I stated it wasn't jazz you autismo shill

Not as heavy. Robbie was literally a flamenco guitar player
Then it wasn't relevant, was it?

I didn't mean to categorize all their efforts into one genre, I meant moreso that it was all a huge decline from their "primes." Clapton has done like 50+ albums, and almost all of it is far worse than Cream.

Yet you answered the post about The Doors...

>If it wasnt for him, somebody soon would do exact things as he did right?
Yes.

That's fine.

Clapton is fucking terrible.

To be fair to Clapton, he got on the soft rock/songwriter track out of purely good intentions. He was really more interested in making good songs than good albums or amazing guitar playing. Plenty of his material he put out was basically zero effort though, especially after he got married to Patty Boyd. Fair to criticize him for that but it doesn't really tarnish his legacy imo.

Check out Alvin Lee for an as some adventure on the guitar. Jim was amazing but Alvin turns the guitar into a woman and fucks the shit out of it.

In order
>yes
>no
>probably not no
>listen to his three studio albums then start digging through the live stuff

Any body popular is considered overrated by Sup Forums
Some of his best songs aren't even on his 3 studio albums.

I'm still going to have to disagree with lumping Jeff Beck into there, he's consistently grown as a player whilst reinventing and updating himself every decade, and he still actually manages to get plaudits on the basis of his output from both fans and critics. I remember Steve Lukather doing an article for Guitar World a few years ago about his influences and he was talking about his favourite Beck stuff not being the OG JBG-era like many people would say, but his late '80s instrumental stuff with Terry Bozzio.

And yeah, Blackmore stagnated about 1983 and in terms of rock never really recovered, but he deserves props to a degree for following his muse and running off to do that whole wandering minstrel thing with his wife. Most of the songs may be naff, but his acoustic playing is beautiful and has actually improved a ton.

Post D&D, sure. Up until then though, God no.

>meanwhile, the actual MVP will continue to be reduced to "the Black Magic Woman guy"

He wasn't even the MVP in his own band.

Kek

As much as I love Santana to death, Hendrix is obviously better.

No, it's Zappa.

Dude Journey is terrible and cheesy as it gets

He was an extremely influential player....but for all of the wrong reasons.

Frankly, without Hendrix we would probably avoid a lot of the guitar wankery of the 70s and 80s. Artists would take more influence from more subtle guitarists like George Harrison and Keith Richards and rock music would probably be the better for it.

so it must follow your stupid rules in order to be defined as "heavy"? piss off

>doesn't count since it was never released

actually fucking retarded

which is funny cos black magic woman is a cover of fleetwood mac

And nobody outside of guitar players and dad rock enthusiasts even know who Peter Green is

;_;

Listen to the first Cream album, it is not heavy. They became heavier AFTER Jimi Hendrix Experience.

This is just a random tape with no context, it won't work.

dont give a shit about the argument. What you said is dumb. Primary evidence that is put forward as a counter to your argument is void because it was not officially released under a record label?

>dont give a shit about the argument.
Been nice talking to you.
>Primary evidence
It was a distorted tape which gave the illusion as being heavy, something never intended by the artist. Compare that to an intentional representation of Jimi Hendrix Experience's music, the actually-released singles.
>your argument is void because it was not officially released under a record label?
Read above. Accidental vs intentional.

>The Heavy Olympics

Alvin Fucking Lee from 10 years after.... Gezus

Holy shit, is Schon fucking melting?

Great player though, shame he gets shit on since he gets shit on from people who hate AOR.

Calling Einstein as a plagiarist is one of the shittiest conspiracy theories I've heard. Either you've done no research on the subject, or you dislike his last name.

You fucked up in the second answer

I enjoy his music, but I do think he is a bit overhyped, of course that is not his fault, but the fault of his fans which are one of the most arrogant and annoying fan bases on the planet. I noticed that most of them don't even play music, which is probably the reason for them not replying to his critique with anything other than "omg find me one guy that this before him", like he wasn't influenced by musicians before him (as he should be) and they always turn any debate in a fucking competition, the perfect sign of somebody who doesn't listen to music because he enjoys it, but for some ulterior motive.

>Science papers are handled through patent offices

Yeah, no.

Why would you want someone else playing with their teeth and setting the guitar on fire? Thats pure theatrical bullshit, nothing technical, nothing special, just a guy doing stupid shit because he was high out of his mind.

hendrix is a better rhythm guitarist than a lead guitarist. everyone ignores his rhythm playing and focuses on his random pentatonic noodling crappy leads. no one was playing rhythm like him back then

Future is the Hendrix of our generation

>Playing with your teeth is not a technical achievement
t. non-musician

Hendrix is totally DUDE WEED LMAO but totally worth it, Axis:Bold as Love is a GREAT album

>I want to like him

jimi's kind of musics is not for everybody. its for sexy people only.

He's not playing a classical piece or some shit he's playing a super simple song with his teeth, there's barely anything special about it

((()))

Show me 50 other guitarists who successfully and competently play with their teeth

Lol

Why? Is it a requirement that a good guitar player plays with his teeth? God damn you're baiting me hard or you're just a retard. Anyway, fuck me for responding to you.

>Why?
You made a claim it wasn't special. Maybe you don't know what "special" means?

He is black so it would be racist for me to say anything other than he is the greatest of all time even if he is not.

Little Wing solo is perfect, what you chatting

>"whats heavier?"
>anons post objectively better music
>"nah not heavy enough"
> no information about what constitutes heavy

fucking end yourself

he is one of the greatest blues guitarists ever. by the end he was phoning it in though.

I'm glad he died.

>objectively better
kys

He's legitimately great, however, I believe the music industry pushes the legacy of certain artists to capitalize off their brand. Led Zeppelin are the most prominent example of this.

>Edgy

But, we probably heard his best stuff even if he'd lived. How many musicians reach their prime after thirty? It's so rare.

He was extremely ahead of his time. Him and Zappa seemed to be the only guitarists in the mid 60s ever interested in making loud distorted noises with the guitar.

What is never talked about with Jimi is beyond his guitar playing and his intuitive knowledge of every note on the guitar, he was just an IMMENSELY good fucking song writer, probably one of the greatest to ever do it. I personally think he was a genius composer who never actually got around to learning the language of his natural gift. If he had learned he would have taken off to a whole other level.

This is correct. Overrated a bit as a guitarist, underrated in his other talents. Overall they were a real tight band

I don't really think of Jeff Beck as an artist who sold out in the ways you mentioned.