What the fuck is his problem?

what the fuck is his problem?

>"I’m twice the musician either of those guys ever were. I just am. I’ve got it. It’s in me.”

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=g9NivaKUFME
telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/02/16/pink-floyd-play-glastonbury-last-nick-mason-roger-waters-ready/
theguardian.com/music/2015/aug/14/pink-floyd-are-done-says-dave-gilmour
youtu.be/wbM2_-JeDuY?t=20m
bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00937ls
bbc.co.uk/programmes/b011j39v
drive.google.com/file/d/0B74baYSt2SnETFFTWFh5REdFUjA/view
youtube.com/watch?v=p3FL0Tezc6A
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Was he wrong?

hes cocky but he right

Depends who "either of those guys" are, but he wasn't twice as good as Syd, Dave or Rick. He was a better songwriter than Dave or Rick, and he was on par with Syd. He's right if one of them is Nick though.

Full context because OP is a faggot, it comes from an article where he basically says him and David will never be "mates"

>“The music is hugely important to me,” he says. “It may sound daft to say, but over the years I maybe haven’t taken quite enough credit for it. I think the idea that Rick [Wright, keyboard player] and David particularly tried to sell me in the band, when I was a young man, was that I was a bit of a headmaster but I shouldn’t bother myself with music because I wasn’t musical. It’s absolute crap. I’m twice the musician either of those guys ever were. I just am. I’ve got it. It’s in me.”

he's right though. have you listened to AMLOR?

There was me thinking he'd become somewhat less of a dick over the last decade. Shame.

No. He's a great lyricist but he's a fucking crap musician. You can thank Rick Wright and David Gilmour for 'the Pink Floyd sound'.

Have you listend to The Final Cut?

That's what people get for asking him constantly about rest of PF's band mates.

Yeah, that's bollocks. He was a slightly better songwriter than them, but in terms of musical ability both Rick and Dave could scrub the floor with him

>Have you listend to The Final Cut?
yes. it's good.

Falls apart when compared to albums that came before it, better than all albums that came after it.

This comment on the interview nails it: "David Gilmour gave Pink Floyd their signature sound. Waters provided the hot air to inflate the pig, it seems, and some of the lyrics."

I hope the arrogant little turd reads that and gets pissed off, he's definitely the type to Google his own name and obsess over his detractors.

This wouldn't have pissed me off so much if he'd left Rick Wright out of it. Flogging the corpse of a dead man, what a fucking cunt.

I just Googled this and it's recent. What the fuck, I thought this was from when he quit or something, is he really this bitter even now? What a mardy sod.

Just a narcisist doing his best to feed his ego.

It's like a day ago old.

anyone got a link to this article?

god i hope gilmour outlives waters
also, is it bad that i like the division bell?

You have to sign up for The Telegraph so I'll just post it here.

"For someone who preaches peace and love, Roger Waters picks a lot of fights. The 73-year-old, who regularly speaks out against far-Right politicians and “greedy” corporations, has been feuding with former Pink Floyd bandmate Dave Gilmour for more than 30 years and revels in stirring arguments.

“Of course I’m belligerent,” announces the four-time divorcee when we meet in a recording studio in New York. Considering the dedicated way in which he has pursued his vendetta against Gilmour, I suppose this shouldn’t come as a surprise. But, with millions in his bank account and a major Pink Floyd retrospective about to open at the V&A Museum in London, to which Waters has given his blessing, I had assumed he might have mellowed.

Not a bit of it.
“Dave and I are not mates, we never were and I doubt we ever will be,” he says. “Which is fine, there’s no reason why we should be.” The exhibition, called Their Mortal Remains, promises to be a real blockbuster, in the vein of the V&A’s 2013 David Bowie show, revealing more than 350 artefacts, from hand-written lyrics to musical instruments, original artwork and the band’s famous inflatable stage props.

Waters says he is happy about the exhibition but, during a discussion about the relative values placed on lyrics, melody and arrangement in his songwriting, it becomes obvious that he still bears a grudge about the way he was treated by the band and, in particular, the way they dismissed his musical abilities.

“The music is hugely important to me,” he says. “It may sound daft to say, but over the years I maybe haven’t taken quite enough credit for it. I think the idea that Rick [Wright, keyboard player] and David particularly tried to sell me in the band, when I was a young man, was that I was a bit of a headmaster but I shouldn’t bother myself with music because I wasn’t musical. It’s absolute crap." (cont.)

I’m twice the musician either of those guys ever were. I just am. I’ve got it. It’s in me.”

The public can assess this claim for themselves next month, when Waters releases his first solo album for 25 years. Is This the Life We Really Want? is a politically charged concept album on which Waters rails against warmongering governments, mourns the plight of refugees, calls Donald Trump a nincompoop and generally vents his spleen at the inequalities of the modern world.

“I recognise a theme that I keep returning to, in all my work since Echoes (from Pink Floyd’s Meddle in 1971). It’s an obsessive belief in a humanity that we share, which makes it possible for me to empathise with you, whoever you are. But for some of us, it’s so deeply buried that we will never touch it.

“President Trump, there’s no way he’ll ever empathise with anybody. If you talk about love to him, it would be like talking Swahili – he couldn’t understand it. But I still believe it’s there. I’m in love with the idea that there is no ‘us and them’.”

Waters’s forthcoming tour is named Us + Them after the classic song from Dark Side of the Moon. It kicks off in America at the end of May. His previous tour of The Wall is the highest-ever grossing by a solo musician. Apparently, Trump attended a show at Madison Square Garden in 2010, but left at the interval. “So he saw the wall being built but didn’t wait for it to be torn down.”

The album’s tone veers between elegiac sorrow, righteous anger and world-weary cynicism, in a sonic landscape of vast synths, shimmering acoustic guitars and cavernous drums, all linked by odd tape loops and Waters’s dry, elliptical narration. It is hugely reminiscent of Floyd’s classic Seventies work, from Dark Side of the Moon to The Wall. Waters ascribes this to the input of Radiohead producer Nigel Godrich. (cont.)

The Wall is probably my favorite album from PF, but Waters is such an asshole and he definetelly isn't better musician.

“He’s a fan. I think he would admit this is a sort of homage. All the found voices and sound effects were made using analogue tape loops. It’s been 50 years since I saw anybody try that. I love the random nature of it. You know, we were doing it in the Floyd way back in 1969. We would arrive at a point in the show and have a little transistor radio on the stage, put a microphone in front of it, stop playing and turn it on. Just go and make a cup of tea.”
Interestingly, Waters turns out not to be a fan of Radiohead, a group many see as carrying on Floyd’s experimental mantle. “I find it sort of impenetrable. I like my rock’n’roll to be very direct. I don’t want to be digging around trying to figure out the meaning.”

For someone with so much to say, it is interesting to consider that Waters’s songwriting career came about by accident. When Pink Floyd formed in 1965, Waters was the bassist, content to follow childhood friend Syd Barrett’s lead. Following the release of their debut album, The Piper at the Gate of Dawn in 1967, Barrett’s descent into drug-induced psychosis led to the recruitment of guitarist Gilmour and the departure of their founder.

“When Syd went crazy, either we gave up or somebody started writing. So it was a matter of necessity. You can’t have a band without songs, however crappy they might be. And there are a huge number of bands out there who have writers who are useless. Frankly, most rock’n’roll is awful.”
Waters and Gilmour shared vocal duties, and all four members (with Rick Wright and drummer Nick Mason) contributed musically. But as time went on, Waters increasingly took the creative reins, leading to growing resentments and disagreement. (cont.)

thanks a lot

When Waters quit in 1985, “I hoped that was the end of Floyd.” Waters sued his bandmates to stop them using the name – a decision about which he will now shrug and frankly say: “I was wrong.” Although the quartet reunited to headline Live8 in 2005, there has never been any realistic possibility of rapprochement.

Wright died in 2008. Mason, however, remains close to all parties and was key to facilitating the V&A exhibition.

“I love Nick. And he loves me. We were always close. But you can be creative without being friends. David and I did a lot of really great work together, which wouldn’t exist without both of us being there.”

Floyd released three albums after Waters departed (A Momentary Lapse of Reason in 1986, The Division Bell in 1994 and 2016’s final posthumous Rick Wright album, The Endless River). Waters claims to have heard only bits and pieces. “I’m just not really interested. It’s not my business to be judging any of that.”

When it came to mounting an exhibition, he says there was “a little bit of negotiation about what should happen. I’ve always been a bit lairy about what I did with Pink Floyd being mixed up with the later version I had nothing to do with. But that’s all sorted. They’re in different rooms.”

And will he take the time to examine those rooms when he visits the exhibition? “I think you have to go through them to get out. That’s how it’s designed. I don’t think you can skip it,” Waters laughs. “That’s fine. Whatever. There is no escape.”

Division Bell is great.

>Waters sued his bandmates to stop them using the name – a decision about which he will now shrug and frankly say: “I was wrong.”

Wonder how much will power that must have taken

I am not even kidding. I have taken a semester class on Pink Floyd, heard a professional tribute to Pink Floyd, not to mention I have literally met Alan Parsons when he came to speak to my class. I know more about Pink Floyd and their discography that almost anyone on Sup Forums yourself included

David sucks and only ever pretended to be as good as Roger actually was. Young Richard came into his own by the end but never got more than a few songs on each album because jews control the royalties and Roger/David were greedy about it. Not contrarian just way more informed than you

>Just rubbish ... nonsense from beginning to end

- Roger Waters

you want a fedora too?

>I am not even kidding. I have taken a semester class on Pink Floyd, heard a professional tribute to Pink Floyd, not to mention I have literally met Alan Parsons when he came to speak to my class.

Either that is some top class trolling or you win Bellend of the Year award. Congratulations douchebag.

I wonder who is behind this post

Waters, pls go.

He wrote the Final Cut, so what the fuck does he know?

Is this pasta now?

>"The Final Cut is very good but it's not personally how I would see a Pink Floyd record going."

- David Gilmour

Gotta love that contrast

yes

>You can thank Rick Wright and David Gilmour for 'the Pink Floyd sound'
everything floyd did after waters departure sucked. division bell was alright, but nowhere near what they were doing with waters. amused to death on the other hand was great

people have been saying for years that waters wasn't as good a musician as the rest, but those guys did nothing of real value after he left

AMLOR really isn't any worse than the Final Cut, and the Division Bell is better than any Roger solo album other than Amused to Death. Truthfully though none of them were anywhere near as good apart as they were together as a unit.

The band members themselves admitted that making new records without Waters was far harder.

They all were very important.

Gilmour has acted with nothing but tact and class through the years whilst Waters repeatedly makes snotty, egotistical comments and even purused a massively expensive, time-consuming civil court case. Honestly, I'm not mad on post-waters Pink Floyd music but if anyone had to leave the band it was that cantankerous fucking shit stain. At least we got the excellent Pulse tour and Gilmour's solo tours always include some excellent Pink Floyd content.

Why can't he just fucking let it go?

>even purused a massively expensive, time-consuming civil court case
Any one of us would have done the same thing if everything we worked to build was being ripped away from us.

>Gilmour's solo tours always include some excellent Pink Floyd content.
Very true, but so did Waters'. That, and he toured the god damn Wall.

>muh daddy

>Any one of us would have done the same thing if everything we worked to build was being ripped away from us.
Surely it's the other way around. Waters walked away and tried to pull that out from under Gilmour and Mason. Waters lost nothing by allowing them to continue other than letting his ego rest enough to think reasonably.

what a fucking cunt

seems to me like this interview is kinda misleading

i recently heard marc maron's podcast that waters was on and he seemed real chill and oddly humble, saying something about how he thinks he's written 'a few good songs' with pink floyd, not the overblown ego he seems to have in this interview

he was certainly a vindictive dick back in the late 70s/early 80s but as far as i can tell he's much more mellow now. either the interviewer caught him in a bad mood or published parts that make it seem like that

Say what you will about Roger, but no one remembers Pink Floyd before he took full control, and no one really cares about Pink Floyd after he left.

The golden, REAL, era of Pink Floyd will always be 72-81

inb4 cucky fanbois start blowing their load about how much of a ''mad genius'' syd was.

Him burning his brain out was the best thing that ever happened to Floyd.

I really hope it's just misleading.

>ripped away from us.

How was it being ripped away from him though? Waters still gets his royalties either way - he's fucking stinking rich, apparently to the tune of £165million. He still gets credit on the old albums and a sizeable amount of fans who followed him to his solo acts. He still performs Floyd stuff. I just don't understand that argument.

>but so did Waters
I'd disagree with that to an extent. He doesn't have the singing ability to do justice to the vast majority of Floyd works, nor the instrumental talent. Comfortably Numb with Van Morrison for example just doesn't sound right.

Gilmour's Floyd performances are excellent on the other hand. I saw him last year at the Albert Hall and was a little apprehensive of what it would sound like without Rick Wright, but the band he got together was absolutely brilliant.

It could be that he's got a bug up his arse with Gilmour apparently rejecting a reunion. Can you blame Gilmour though after all the shite he's put up with over the last thirty years alone, let alone when they were in the band together?

Waters was good at theatrics, lyrics, themes.

He was great at giving you memorable images into your head with his music, creating amazing and raw concepts.

He was a great leader, great idea man who knew what he wanted, but he wasn't a better musician than any of them.

>Comfortably Numb with Van Morrison for example just doesn't sound right.
Doesn't sound any better with David Bowie.

I wouldn't be surprise if he's ramping up the vitriol because he's got a new album out and he needs the publicity

Not the 'doctor' parts, but the chorus and all important guitar solo remains unscathed when Gilmour is at the helm. I'd rather take that over a fucking shitty Van Morrison hack at it.

You must admit Bowie did a pretty decent job on Arnold Layne though:

youtube.com/watch?v=g9NivaKUFME

He' just coming off The Wall tour, the uh...highest grossing tour of all time by a solo artist. Publicity probably isn't a huge issue.

>It could be that he's got a bug up his arse with Gilmour apparently rejecting a reunion
do you have a source? this is the first i've heard of this. for years waters has been quite outspoken about never wanting to do a reunion again. though he's never minced his words when talking about gilmour it seems like the interviewer has worked to make him seem especially mean spirited in this interview, especially given what he writes about him

Oh look at me, i'm better than you (because i "know ppl") and my opinion is therefore relevant and better!

Off yourself.

Damn, good point, didn't think of that, this is what made me check out the new tracks of his

Ah, well, I guess he's just a cunt then

is not really connected to Rogers, when people think of The Wall, normies think of Pink Floyd.

The Wall Tour needs no promotion.

Solo Roger Waters album?

Source:

telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/02/16/pink-floyd-play-glastonbury-last-nick-mason-roger-waters-ready/

Very recent source at that too. So I think it's quite likely this latest jibe is connected.

I don't have a written source but I've always heard Gilmour was the one preventing a Pink Floyd reunion. Not that I blame him, he probably wants nothing to do with Waters at this point.

why did you post a picture of richard gere?

Roger Waters was great in Pretty Woman, I don't understand why he got Bob Geldof to play himself in The Wall.

theguardian.com/music/2015/aug/14/pink-floyd-are-done-says-dave-gilmour
I think part of it's because he doesn't want to have to put up with the hassle of having Waters around, but it's also because they don't have Richard Wright any more as well, and he couldn't see Floyd happening without him.

Was that his decision? He didn't seem to be too happy about it.

In The Wall commentatory which has Waters he keeps making fun of Bob, not sure if light-hearted or not

And we all know what happens when you try to continue a legendary band by yourself.

Right, Axl?

I saw that too. He and Gerald Scarfe seemed to be doing it in a fun way. He did say that he thought Geldof was great in it.

>because jews

Yup. Totally true. No trolls here.

>Was that his decision? He didn't seem to be too happy about it.

No idea to be fair, I was just making a lame joke.

Waters wouldn't be happy if they'd got the fucking second coming of Christ to play him anyway.

That image reminds me too much of the Lou Red's "talentless hacks"

Bob Geldof is a fucking joke, but putting Waters in there would be even weirder.

Shit, more like ...right Angus?

At a point, Rogers had to keep control of the wheels because the other guys got too swept up in their own shit.

By the time they sorted those issues out, they didn't quite realize how much control they allowed Waters to have, so really, the split between Waters and Gilmour/Mason/Wright was caused by multiple circumstances.

All of them (except Mason, i'd say) were kinda cunts to each other in that entire episode, but that's what makes them Floyd. Great group of musicians all around.

That said, I totally see why Waters would have an issue with Gilmour trying to take reigns since Gilmour filled in for Syd after the man completely felt apart psychologically. Gilmour wasn't even an original member, so there's that to keep in mind too.

Can't wait for the new solo Waters album, BTW.

>not picking a side between Waters and Gilmour

Watch you don't get a fence post lodged up your bumhole.

Little unrelated but

I am watching "Roger Water's The Wall Tour" and there is so much that is making me pissed off.

>(Autism criticism) When "In The Flesh?" starts the concert, the environment is alreadly covered in hammers and Watters is dressed in his nazi uniform, even thought at this point in the album Pink didn't go crazy to that extend yet, at all.
>Those constant references to today's politics with the visuals
>No seriously, The Wall isn't this politically heavy to deserve this much visuals related to politics, going as far to have a glimpse of Obama speech.
>Pre-recorded child-choir from Brick In The Wall PT2, even though they did have buncha children on the tour
>Interrupting the concert with clips of Waters talking 100th time about his dad, sorry, I wanted to watch this for the concert and you perform the song, not this.

other than that, it is pretty great, the visuals are really mind blowing at parts, Water's performance isn't great.

I honestly kinda lean more towards Waters since his stuff speaks to me louder than Gilmour and that Momentary Lapse, Division Bell and On an Island sound like what actually should be classified as "dadrock" (and not as a derogatory term for old rock music). However, I do give Gilmour credit in that his first two solo albums, Rattle That Lock and The Endless River were really good, so I dig Gilmour quite a bit too.

Waters is the one that retired Syd, remember that.

Shit albums are good
Good albums are shit

Just proves you got a shit taste.

>hurr everything is black and white the entire universe is binary
Quit being a nigger.

>hurr everything is black and white the entire
>quit being a nigger

The Final Cut is underrated as fuck. I guess if you consider it a Pink Floyd album it's rated fairly accurately, but at least it's better than the albums following it. If it was released as a Roger Waters solo album (isn't it credited to "Roger Waters and performed by Pink Floyd"?) it'd have been far better received.

The title track is in my top 5 Pink Floyd songs, maybe even top 3 come to think of it.

Rodger Waters is a fucking cockbag who can't write a good album save his life save for a few select songs.

That said Animals and other Gilmore stuff is great

Animals is a very Waters centric album.

>hype as fuck for Roger's new album, especially with dat Nigel Godrich production
>listen to interviews with him lately and see videos of him in the studio and he seems to be a lot warmer and friendly than he used to be
>mfw reading this interview

did he run out of medication or something jesus christ. I was watching the Making of Wish You Were Here earlier today to and when they're talking about Have a Cigar it shows how Roger and David couldn't get the vocals right and eventually Roy Harper happened to be in the studio with them and gave it a shot and nailed it. The engineer talks about how amazed he is by Roger's lyrics and gets choked up talking about how proud he'd be of himself if he was the person who came up with them.

Cut to Roger talking about how he would have sung the song differently and that he doesn't like Roy's vocals on it, clearly still bitter that he wasn't the singer on it. Meanwhile David then goes on to say how much he likes both the version with Roy and the version with Roger. Cut back to Roger bitching.

youtu.be/wbM2_-JeDuY?t=20m

thx for posting, user.

I've seen this and remember rolling my eyes at Roger Waters at the points you mention.

You should listen to Roger Waters and David Gilmour's Desert Island Discs interviews. Both make very interesting music choices, though as usual Waters makes me want to strangle him (on that occasion by imitating the presenter's Scottish accent).

bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00937ls

bbc.co.uk/programmes/b011j39v

am I going crazy or is the roger waters version the one that I'm hearing on spotify

Congratulations. You have just discovered the secret message. Please send your answer to Old Pink, care of the funny farm, Chalfont.

Very much doubt it, definitely not if it is part of WYWH.

To be fair I always assumed it was Waters singing until I read into it.

I wonder how many people got that when the album came out.

Probably quite a lot of stoned teenagers.

Thread unrelated, but Pink Floyd and The Wall related.

I had this strange thing happen to me, when I was looking for The Trial I found a version that has an alternative take on the "TEAR DOWN THE WALL!" line, instead there is "TEAR DOWN THAT FUCKING WALL"

any info on this?

Post proof or you're full of shit.

How do you want me to "proof" that?

i have no source for this but i think that's a live version

It doesn't quite sound like a live version, maybe the version, I can recongize that majority of this version is nearly indentical to the studio.

drive.google.com/file/d/0B74baYSt2SnETFFTWFh5REdFUjA/view

To be fair, Jews probably have an extremely disproportionate influence over large record companies.

the whole waters-gilmour drama is just fucking hilarious. Always.
youtube.com/watch?v=p3FL0Tezc6A
this will never not be funny. Waters says shit on the rest of the band and then "pls david can you please show up on the wall tour pls"