Best pavement album

best pavement album

if i liked crooked rain, but didnt like slanted and enchanted all that much, what should i listen to next?

is slanted and enchanted

Probably pic related or Woowe Zoowe, but I would recommend giving S&E another chance

Ugh. Don't make me post my ranking again.

quarantine the past

i hate ranking pavements first 4 albums because they're all amazing and it looks like i think one of them is bad if i put it 2nd to last

The Sound of The Smiths

Anyone else think this and s/t do later-era Pavement better than Pavement did?

fuck off

No, and it's not because they're not as good. They just don't sound like late era pavement, or pavement at all. You can hear the influence on some songs off of s/t, but it's its own thing.

Slanted is generally regarded as the best. It is, I get why, but I like Crooked Rain the best. I actually like Terror Twilight more than BTC.

However, Malkmus' self titled and Real Emotional Trash, imo, are better than any Pavement album.

Wowee Zowee

Terror twilight, obvs
Next best pavement album, trust me I've been in your position

no BIG HAIR

Slanted and Enchanted: Luxe and Reduxe edition is there best release but if we exclude special editions Wowee Zowee is there best album

brighten the corners or perfect from now on????????

Brighten the Corners desu

10 best pavement songs-

GOATWARDS
fillmore jive
in the mouth a desert
type slowly
summer babe
elevate me later
the hexx
stop breathing
gold soundz
grounded

rate lads, reckon i've nailed it if im honest

going for a dog walk now expect to have some (you)s when i get back

Is Harness Your Hopes the best Pavement song?

THE best? Idk about that. For sure in the top 10. Peel session version is the best

came here for this

i know you did

can someone pls fucking reply to my top 10 songs post please

>GOATWARDS
type slowly, elevate me later and stop breathing are some of their worst, the rest is good

Mine would be-
Silence Kid
Zurich is Stained
Grounded
Trigger Cut
Gold Soundz
Fight This Generation
Harness Your Hopes
Range Life
Summer Babe
Grave Architecture

Cut Your Hair should be on there. It's genuinely one of the best pop songs of the 90's.
That song should also be in there.

Happy now?

Zurich is an underrated deep cut for sure.

those digits

I've never got a get like that before! Witness me.

Anyway, I think Range Life deserves an honorable mention in these top 10's, particularly because Billy Corgan got so hilariously assblasted about it.

>type slowly, elevate me later and stop breathing are some of their worst
'no'

It would be if spiral wasn't allowed to make music.

Ikea is a good song

No

I unironically like "Hit the Plane Down" and "Two States," although in no way did two states deserve to be in QTP over "Zurich" or something else.

No pavement band really wants to admit it, but if Scott had decided to quit after S/E or CRCR, the albums wouldn't have missed that much.

The songs Kannberg wrote were okay, but his voice ruined a lot of them. And by no stretch is malkmus a "good" singer, but at least he could sing in tune, and didn't have that annoying nasally thing going on.

Bob Nastanovich would have been harder to replace; when they played live, he had the most stage presence out of anyone, and he was pretty crucial to the band's business dealings.

However, Kannberg flipping off and mooning Lollapalooza in '95 qas absolutely legendary.

really tough choice, but these are the pavement songs that have meant the most to me

1. motion suggests itself
2. newark wilder
3. black out
4. trigger cut
5. transport is arranged
6. pueblo
7. loretta's scars
8. shady lane
9. at&t
10. ... and carrot rope

top 10 b-sides

1. and then (the hexx)
2. muscle rock (is a horse in transition)
3. greenlander
4. kris kraft
5. nigel
6. stray fire
7. shoot the singer
8. cataracts
9. give it a day
10. raft

actually i want to change raft for painted soldiers.

Steve Malkmus is an amazingly good vocalist. Maybe not "traditionally" "good" like you suggest. But still.

S&E > Crooked Rain > Wowee > Brighten the Corners > Terror Twilight

Gold Soundz
Summer Babe
Range Life
Fillmore Jive
The Hexx
Grounded
Shoot the Singer
Strings of Nashville
Harness your Hopes
In the Mouth a Desert

Stephen sounds too much like that guy from Silver Jews. And the Silver Jews guy sounds too much like Stephen.

That guy in the Silver Jews that sounds like Stephen, is Stephen. Berman sounds nouthing like him

They sing in that same type of alt-country slacker style. They even got one of the guys from Silkworm to sing like that.

On that Marquee Mark Album I can truly not tell who sings which songs

GOATWARDS
10) Shady Lane
9) Fillmore Jive
8) Texas Never Whispers
7) Grounded
6) Shoot The Singer
5) Perfume-V
4) Frontwards
3) Gold Soundz
2) Summer Babe
1) In The Mouth a Desert

And their best album is undoubtedly S&E

>TFW Kennel District is my favorite Pavement song, and one of my favorite songs of all time.

I didn't mean to imply he was bad; he has a distinctive tone, that sounds good enough. But no he's not classicly "good" like Paul McCartney or whatever.

They both sing in that same kind of dry, deadpan way, but they do not sound similar at all.

Really?

Gotcha. Yeah I agree.

Seriously. And Pavement is my favorite band.
The lyrics get me every time.
>I WANTED TO STAAAAAAAY THERE
>BUT YOU KNOW I NEEEEDED MORE THAAAN THAT
>WHY DIDN'T I ASK?
>WHY DIDN'T I AAAAAAAASK?
>WHY DIDN'T I ASK?
>WHY DIDN'T IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII?

I prefer Passat Dream myself. Probs my favorite Kannberg song after HTPD and Two States.

But again, his voice kills the experience for me.

Fair enough, its a pretty hard voice to like. I still like the Malkman more overall, but that one song is like magic to me.

I was in this situation and listened to Wowee Zowee and it instantly became my favorite Pavement album
I haven't heard BTC. TT is just okay.

Have you, or anyone in this thread listened to Kannberg's solo stuff? Malkmus' solo career is fire, but I haven't gotten around to Scott's. Pitchfork tore one of his records to pieces, like real personal, over the line criticism. Do I dare?

I enjoyed the Real Feel to a degree. Its somewhat novel to see what sort of musical ideas have been floating in Scott's head recently. Definitely not as bad as P4K claims.

I think Hit the Plane Down is the worst Pavement song, but Passat Dream and Kennel District are real good songs

passat dream is literally a great song, t b h brighten the corners is absolutely teeming with bangers

I agree, I can't really decide if that or Slanted is the best. Wowee Zowee could be the best too. I think Crooked Rain is just a tad under them, and Terror Twillight is underrated.

no frontwards is a joke, its clearly their stand out song

Slightly unrelated note:

What is the best Pavement video?

crooked rain has really grown on my recently due to songs like stop breathing, elevate me later fillmore jive, but its really recorded with too much gloss overall and just isnt that listenable overall. cut your hair and range life are terrible mainstream bait. water domestic ep is a painful reminder of how great pavement 2nd album should have sounded. as i say tho, the highlights have been growing on me, but i dont think its as good overall as the rest of pavements first 4 albuns

Terror Twilight is indeed underrated. I actually like it more than BTC. The band seems to hate it, even Malkmus, who went full Gestapo on writing it.

I think its mostly because it hearkens back to the end of the band, where there was a lot of bad blood.

Everything off Watery, Domestic is standout. Fucking great EP.

For me it's by far their best release and the best ep I know

Gold Soundz

I agree about cut your hair, but range life is great

Slanted's better IMO, but I agree. It also might be my favorite EP.

Range Life and Cut Your Hair are supposed to be unironic bait. Cut your hair is overplayed in the Pavement cannon, Range Life is great. Especially in the bait regard, because Billy Corgan fell right into the trap.

Also, I wouldn't call CRCR "polished," by any means. Def more than Slanted, but nowhere near BTC.

To each his own though.

Both songs don't do Pavement's creativity any justice. The fact that Cut Your Hair is the first song many people go to when checking out Pavement is a total shame.

Indeed it is. There are so any better songs than Cut Your Hair. It's still a great song though. It's classic tongue in cheek pavement in perfect 90's pop form.

Range Life is a master level troll by malkmus.

He cast out, with the biggest most obvious bait. Everyone just went by, going "lol i see what you're doing" Until the big one (Corgan), saw it, went all in and got all tangled in the line, and threatened to pull out of Lollapalooza '94, which Pavement barely gave a shit about.

Then they just kept feeding the fire; there's a vid of him and Ibold backstage somewhere talking about it. They're like
>it's not the music they do, it's personal
>yeah, we hate their shoes, etc...

So obviously just being smartasses and making Corgan so angry at the same time.

Fucking great.

>Range Life and Cut Your Hair are supposed to be unironic bait.
no there were literally meant to be hits, pavement admit to this. reminder malkmus is a douchebag from caliornia and so is under many levels of irony, he meant it to be a hit even if its kind of ironic at the same time. but they just arent very interesting songs. gold soundz is just an absolute banger tho, but fillmore jive is the album standout and probs one of the best album closers ever

GOATwards is literally just amazing

Never implied they weren't meant to be hits.

yeah i guess you didnt, misread,very drunk sorry

seems like we have similar opinions user

honestly

brighten the corners=s & e> wowee zowee> CRCR>TT

but CRCR is still really good with many bangers