I've been driving only manual transmission cars for the last 16 years...

I've been driving only manual transmission cars for the last 16 years. The last two days I've been driving an automatic (DCT) for the first time in my life. It's certainly less stressful to drive but after a while it's also kind of boring.

You opinion? What do you prefer: Manual or Automatic?

Manual is better in everyway

manual. driving used to be my daily pleasure with a manual, then some cunt totaled my shit and now driving is the least enjoyable time for me every day. not to mention the level of control of a manual is significantly higher than an automatic, except in like super high-end exotics

>Manual is better in everyway

It sucks in stop and go traffic due to the constant need to engage the clutch.

I have a six speed manual. It's a liittle over the top, because I'm shifting all the time except for the highway. I like a manual, but maybe a 4 or five speed would be a little less work.

For commuting or taking long road trips which are my usual I prefer automatic. If I'm going to cruise some canyons or winding mountain passes a manual is much more fun but I'll never buy a stick shift unless it's a sports car

but it doesnt. Ive been in 3 hour stop and go traffic due to a fatal accident, and i didnt even think about it during the fact because it was so second nature. maybe that's just highly opinionated but the only time i didnt like having a manual was when i was too drunk to drive home once and no one could drive my car, so i just slept in it.

I also only drive Manual, but they are getting hard to find here now.
Whenever I have my car in the shop and I am given a loaner car, it is always automatic. I zone out driving an automatic and twice now have got in an accident with them.
Also, automatics are terrible for a city like San Francisco that has lots of hills, they always take forever to kick over going uphill, maybe not new cars so much, but after 60,000 miles they do.

I would say: DSG (VW/AUDI)>MANUAL>AUTOMATIC (Like those 20 years old EU cars and todays shitty US cars have

hahahah, yeah, but it also prevent anyone from stealing your car.
I left my car running once while I ran into a dunkin donuts to crab some napkins real quick. some nignog jumped in my car, and jumped out a minute later cause he couldn't figure out how to revers it .

This

I have a vw mk6 (golf) 6 gti with dsg.

>I zone out driving an automatic and twice now have got in an accident with them.

Yea, when I drove it the first time yesterday I had to stop and was instinctively stepping on the clutch but since there was non of course stepped on the break and the car made an abrupt full stop. Had somebody been behind me that could have ended in an accident.

I have 2 cars
When i want to ''Driv3'' i pick the manual car
When i have to go somewhere i use the automatic one
>would choose manual over auto btw

manual. went insane from boredom with my second car, being an automatic.

Also, natural theft deterrent.

Generally a manual. The only exception is if I'm in a situation where I'd be spending the majority of my driving time in heavy/stop and go traffic.

>zone out while driving
>must be the automatic
Nah you're just shit at driving.

I prefer manual by far, but automatics are nice for being in heavy traffic. Traffic jams are annoying as fuck with a manual. Especially when the traffic is crawling along too slow to let your car just idle along in 1st gear. Having to constantly work the clutch to go 1 mph for an hour gets really old.

I think manuals are only really worth it if you drive a sports car. If you don't care about going fast and having fun driving the car hard then just get an automatic. Modern automatics actually get better mileage than manuals these days.

>Why the fuck are there 3 pedals?
>And it looks like there is a 4th pedal that doesn't do anything when I push on it?

Manual, because it's better during winter.

he probably has an actual job though

Had an automatic 2015 SS Camaro, felt like I had no fun in it. Some cunt waffle totaled it and now I have a for Focus RS and that shit is fun to whip around and drop gears whenever

>Manual or Automatic?

Manual is more fun to drive, but driving in traffic with a manual transmission is work.

90% of winter driving performance is simply down to the conditions of your tires and what tires you are using.

My friend and I both had the same generation of Honda civics. I lived on a steep hill. One time my friend tried to leave my house, couldn't get up the hill, and pulled back in my driveway and was like "guess I'm crashing here tonight". We got in my nearly identical Civic with far better tires on it and I climbed the same hill without spinning a wheel.

im a similar situation, I drove a manual all my life until my latest car, its just boring, 3months on and i'm still finding myself going to shift gears and pusing in the clutch to start.

Manual Better,Couse there are more country that use manual then automatic,and what are u men or pussy use the fucking manula

cities auto
any place with open roads manual

Also my RS has hill assist too so bless ford for that

have you ever driven a 6 speed gti? I've driven both and the manual is much more enjoyable, much more control. the newer DSGs are very fast though

>My RS has assistance for people who don't know how to drive stick and shouldn't own an RS.

have you done the dreaded left foot break yet? seems like whenever i drive an automatic loaner, i always will just smash the break with my left forgetting im not about to stall out when going slow

My mother had the same type Honda Civic as me but hers was auto and mine was manual. The automatic has that stupid extra wide brake pedal. Since my brain thought I was still driving my car because everything felt exactly the same I would constantly go for the clutch. My left foot would catch the very edge of the brake pedal and I would slam the brakes on so hard each time.

Alternatively I live on a giant hill and you can suck my dick

Drove manual cars ever since i made my license 19 years ago. Never even tried automatic.

Recently drove an automatic (BMW X5) and it was a blast. My next car will be an automatic and i will never ever go back.

I really fail to see how manual shifting is "more fun"? I mean sure, I've been to Nurburgring twice and there it was fun but in my daily live, driving to or from work during rush hour on on your weekly shopping tour? No way.

Well we use studded tyres here in Finland, so that isn't a problem. What I mean is that sometimes there are situations like the road is frozen and there's snow or sleet on top of the ice. Then for example if your speed gets slower, automatic transmission shifts to a lower gear and it can cause the tyres to slip. There are lots of special cases. That's the main reason manual is better for winter. It gives you more control and there are fewer surprises.

My last 2 cars have been manual
I hate driving in traffic or parking on hills with them
Next car im buying is gonna be automatic

Alternatively, you can stop being a pathetic little bitch and learn how to drive stick without training wheels.

thanks for making me feel not so dumb about it user, i legitimately almost caused an accident from that, but on the upside had no idea just how good newer brakes (and tires) are at stopping a car

Dubs be praised

O shit I got quads

Quads be praised

Learn how to use the handbrake you retards. There is a reason the handbrake is right by the stick in manual cars. Manual cars never have those stupid foot activated parking brakes. Because it is a HAND BRAKE, not a parking brake.

Put the car in 1st gear
Move your hand to the hand brake
Pull on the hand brake depressing the button with your thumb so it doesn't lock
Take your foot off the brake pedal
Your car doesn't roll back because the hand brake is on
Now use the throttle and clutch to pull away lowering the handbrake as you let the clutch out

I learned how to do this when I was fucking 15 years old...

Why not use a feature that comes standard on the car? I drive stick just fine but my hill is brutal dude

i'm a shit driver, so automatic

user your self-awareness is staggering, good on you

Being from Europe I only ever drove manual cars.

Kinda curious about automatics. Might try one eventually.

In the past when the roads were not so crowded and with fewer speed cameras, I loved driving manuals, particularly sports cars like Astons.

These days, with crowded roads, commuting and speed enforcement I drive an auto. Can still have some fun when you floor it from the lights and the torque of the engine just about breaks traction.

>>And it looks like there is a 4th pedal that doesn't do anything when I push on it?

Foot rest. derp.

>manual or automatic?
Automatic for learning the basics and learning how to not run people over, manual can come later on once you know what you are doing

I have both. I prefer the one that my wife didn't leave on empty. Manual or automatic don't matter to me.

Ha to learn everything from the beginning only with manuals. Was turning crazy during the first few hours.

Trying to read all the roadsigns, paying attention to what was going on on the road as well as using all the fucking levers and pedals inside without looking at them...

It felt like drawing while riding a bike to be honest. Still wondering how I managed to avoid getting in an accident.

I love the stickshift.

In prefer a subcompact (parking, insurance, mileage), and an automatic makes those pretty much undriveable. But with a stick, they're fun!

Unfortunately it is getting harder to find manual transmissions on a four-door subcompact.

actually no, that's exactly the wrong. way. you should always start with manual (and switch to automatic later if you prefer it). but learning automatic and switching to manuall makes things worse, not easier.

I drive a manual. I think automatic is boring. However, I could still drive an automatic after a limb or back injury that prevents me from driving the manual.

not really, ford offers them on every sub compact, so does chevy, so does dodge, so does everyone

Both my motor vehicles are a manual. This car, as my last five, have been a manual and I'd like to keep it that way. However, coupling the fact I now have a newborn with my wife's total ineptitude at driving a stick, having my car available for her to drive in case of emergencies does sound nice. Furthermore, manual transmission vehicles are a rather fleeting option, especially stateside. Going with an automatic certainly would open up a world of other cars I always denied myself from considering because it never past the initial question threshold: does it come in a stick?

Lastly, I will say this. Though I'd prefer driving a manual every day, I'd be a-okay if I had the means to do an automatic daily driver and a weekend toy like an MX-5 that was properly equipped with three pedals.

This
I love the fact my GF has no clue how to drive my car. I'm looking at new cars and she keeps begging me to get an auto so she can drive it too.

Whenever we have to take trips to see her or my parents we always have to use her car so we can rotate driving. Oh darn, all the miles get racked up on her car.

Work trucks auto, cause it's for work. All the toys are manual

LOL faggot

I absolutely love manual, but it's hell in the city.

3 on the tree, 5x4, 4spd, 5spd, 6spd, 10spd, 12spd, 18spd. Love em all

I've never driven an automatic but i imagine it's so much easier. I pretty much only drive to and from work and around town. From my home to work it's 50mph road but always clogs at the end so it's about a 10 minute bumper-to-bumper queue. My town also has a colossal traffic problem - the population has increased like 5 fold in the last few decades but there hasn't been ANY changes to the roads at all in maybe 50 years so you want to get from one end of the town to the other, a distance of 5 miles as the crow flies? Takes you easily 30 minutes.

So in short i'd rather have an automatic because i spend most of my life going: 1st, 2nd, 1st, stop, 1st, stop, 1st, stop, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 2nd, 1st, stop.

All that being said...nothing NOTHING makes me smile more than dropping down 2 gears when passing a fucking cyclist so i can roar past the silly cunts at 6000rpm.

its crazy how people never figured this out

I did that in my wife's car once. We were leaving a friend's house, I was driving, and when we came up to the first stop sign I instinctively went for the clutch I slammed on the brakes with my left foot and stopped a good 20 feet short of the sign.

Literally exact same thing happened to me. Couldn't agree more

Auto for a daily driver and manual for a weekend / sports car

Not even a question. Grew up riding dirt bikes so there was no difficulty in learning to shift once I got my first car. Haven't had an automatic since. I just feel like something is missing when I drive my gf or friends car and it's an automatic. I need to be doing something with both hands and feet. City, rural, highway, it's all the same I'd prefer an automatic. Plus I started driving one of these for my job last year so I'm all in for manuals now

For everyday commuting and grinding through traffic, auto, no question.
For fun, manual.

I love my fin 5 speed Tercel. More better fun than a 2 seater sports car.

What do you drive for work?

Hahah story of my life. Every time I approach a stop sign in a friends car. Sometimes I just end up slamming my left foot on the ground too which also gets me weird looks. Depends how wide their brake pedal is

Fucking stupid idiot doing something a microcontroller can do.

Do you manually fire every sparkplug because you can come up with a contrived situation where you can arguably do it better?

post pic

i'm saving up for one

Actually that's a lie. I fucking hate 10 speeds

A semi. 2015 freight liner. Couldn't tell you more since I'm not an owner operator just a fleet driver

What do you haul?

Well that's just your opinion man

Do automatics drive themselves if in gear? In my manual when traffic is slow I just stick it in 1st Gear and it'll slowly creep forward by itself while I do nothing.

how often do you kill prostitutes

manual

you shouldn't skip leg day femanon

Auto only if it's DCT. If it uses a torque converter than manual all the way. Although, I always wanted to try out BMW's SMG, guess it's pretty much a manual without the clutch and shifter.. car will roll back like a manual too.

Just about anything besides cold food, hazmat, or live animals. Although I switched routes a few months ago and most of my loads are auto parts these days. A little more local and it seems to be getting me more mi/week

Plus truck transmissions and clutches aren't fun to operate like a sports car's. A trucks stick has very long throws and is usually clunky feeling. It's not the same experience as a nice car transmission at all.

Most people don't know enough about cars to know the difference between a clutch and a torque converter. To most people selecting what gear you are in = manual.

Most people know jack shit about cars, even half the guys who think they know about cars don't know shit.

>Drive Lorry sometimes in Britbong Chair Force
>It's a manual
>Gearbox is "Intelligent" and tries to learn the drivers driving style and predict when you'll change gear
>Engine starts performing like shit if you haven't changed gear when it expected you to

End my suffering

No and I'm unbelievably angry about that fact. Admittedly I've only been driving for a little over a year but I haven't seen a single god dam lot lizard. I intentionally park in shitty truck stops and leave my running lights on and nothing. I just want to have a hooker knock on my window one time that's all

Dam I've never heard of that sounds frustrating as hell though. They recently added adaptive cruise control to my truck but it doesn't work for shit

>Park in Lot and sleep
>Wake up to someone climbing in my cab
>I'd forgotten to lock it
>It's a fucking lot Lizard crouched in the drivers seat looking at me
>Tell her to fuck off
>She stares at me for 15 seconds before leaving
>Turns out she took a piss on my seat

I think you have to grease the wheels, or go for sloppy seconds, if you know what I mean.

Yes, automatics are always trying to drive forwards. The moment you let off the brake they start to roll if they are in drive. There is always a small amount of torque being applied to the drive wheels that you have to use the brakes to counteract when you want to stay stopped.

Yeah, they do the same thing

I honestly have no clue what you mean though. I'm not trying to fuck a lot lizard since I got a couple of girls when I'm in town but I just want to see one to knock it off the list

There was a large truck stop on the edge of my town. We would go there a lot when I was in high school because it was easy to buy just about any drug from the lot lizards there. If they didn't have dime bags of shit to sell they could hook you up with somebody who did in a matter of minutes.

Protip for when you finally see one. The following phrase is the only way to get rid of them.

"I don't have any money". They will fuck off immediately.

"I'm married/taken"
"I have a Wife/Fiance/Girlfriend"
do not work.

...what town you grow up in user? I hit about 20-25 states a month

NICE FORD FOCUS YOU DUMBASS

Ah same shit to get a hobo to stop talking to me in a big city.