Iberia

How come there were 2 Iberia? 1 is old georgian nation, and the second one is a regiion in Spain. Did they have any historical contact with each other?

1/2

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/ZqpNv3nFSrE?t=76
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galicia_(Spain)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galicia_(Eastern_Europe)
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman_Province
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

2/2

No, there is no relation between those two names

why did the regions have similar names? The people living there even spoke a seperate language, the mountains somewhere there had a georgian name.

greeks called our iberia because the locals they had contact would go "ibe ibe". The greeks also called the north portugal+galicia+asturias of ophiusa because some snake-dragon legends

That's a stupid logic. It's like saying that Albania and this Albania and Scot Albania are connected

>because some snake-dragon legends

We have a legend about a cova da serpe.

but that still doesn't explain the tribes had georgian names in the regions, not Greek named.

It's not.

There was an Albania in the Caucasus too. Also unrelated to modern Albania.

The tribes in Georgia were called 'Ibereti' while in Spain no tribe was self-called smth related to iberia

youtu.be/ZqpNv3nFSrE?t=76

I think in Armenian region, but why does that have to do with anything in the thread?

Iberia means land of rabbits in ancient Greek. Probably there were lots of rabbits in both places

The kingdom of Iberia wasn't influenced by the greek at that time.

If you're implying that it's because both ancient Spain inhabitants and Georgia inhabitants both weren't Indo-European, then you're right

yes, they were proto-kartvelians

It could also be the ancient name of the river Ebro. We will never know for sure.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galicia_(Spain)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galicia_(Eastern_Europe)

Yeaaaahhh, about that.....I doubt it

Mediterranean Iberia's name is due to Ebro River in Spain and Caucasus Iberia somehow evolved from how Armenians called Georgia. Both were given names (endonyms) and not the names that locals used themselves from their own languages (exonyms), both made by Ancient Greeks I think. Romans called it Hiberia, derived directly from Iberia, to describe people who lived around river Ebro. As far as I know it's pure coincidence, but I am not an eggspert on the subject.

Georgians called themselves Kartli and their nation Sakartvelo, Armenians called Georgia Virk, related to Svir/Sver (how Georgians were called), then it evolved to Sber and Hber/Hver which created Iberia, but that's just a theory.

The theory that Basques are descendent from same people who inhabited Georgia is highly disregarded

i meant that georgians were kartvelians, how is that doubtable?

Oh well, i guess it's coincidence then. Thank you for clearing things up, it was just weird to me that even the airplane company was called Iberia.

I thought you said people of ancient Spain

Yeah, it's weird and still not completely clear. The main thing is that both of those names were given by Greeks/Romans who basically called places however they wanted

Similar example here how there is Galicia in Spain, derived from a tribe that Latins called Callaeci, and Galicia in Eastern Europe which was called Halych by locals and Galicia came from the latinized title Rex Galiciae et Lodomeriae ("King of Galicia and Lodomeria") or King of Halych and Volodymr

Yes, i can agree on that but there were used old Georgians names. That had Georgian meaning not latin or greek. That's what confused me

Well like I said, it's not an old Georgian name, Iberia is only known in Greek and Roman sources.

Georgia in Georgian is Sakartvelo which comes from region of Kartli

Just saw that I messed it up, exonym and endonym should switch places

I meant the tribes, they had Georgian meaning. but whatever.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman_Province

Is batman a turk?

We wuz spanish n sheit

No, there were no connection but names. In fact, even names are not entirely similar. "iberia" for denoting Georgian kingdom comes from ancient persian "varukan" that means "land of the wolves". Spanis ineria comes from "hibernia" i think.

Damn phone with shitty keyboard

*BLOCKS YOUR PATH*

>ლ-ლარიანი აჯარაზე დამიდე დ-დ-დზმაო

There was never a kingdom of Iberia. There was Tartesso and after it collapsed some citiy states the same way that Greece. The Greeks called those people Iberians and Spain Iberia. And traded with them

i meant georgia, thread pic related.

No, that's Hispania