/prog/ general

Keep the pretentiousness high and the neckbeards unshaven.

I'll start the conversation off. Was Pink Floyd prog?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/1wSbdbUeIuE
youtube.com/watch?v=RtiUoEbwD7Q
youtube.com/watch?v=D4aARAFbMgg
youtube.com/watch?v=yQyR5dTZKts
youtube.com/watch?v=PvG2ZNXQZhc
youtube.com/watch?v=F96PmNbxFcA
youtube.com/watch?v=tlKGqLWg40Y
youtube.com/watch?v=Dsaqef3OQDs
youtube.com/watch?v=5qDcNLckKbI
youtu.be/vReAoF2aqNk
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

youtu.be/1wSbdbUeIuE

>neckbeards

You're thinking of metal, which is just prog rock with down syndrome.

And yeah, Pink Floyd was prog enough to count, even if they weren't pure prog like KC.

Depends how you define progressive rock. Most people who take issue with Pink Floyd being labeled as prog do so because they lack the classical influences that were so pervasive in the genre. Personally I think Pink Floyd dabbled in too many genres to be considered exclusively prog, but there are at the very least progressive influences in their music.

What do you guys think of Big Big Train?
They are one of my favourite modern symhponic prog bands

Was gonna post this one. I personally think the last one was better, but their albums are pleasing to listen to. Been a fan since English Electric.

Oh man, I can't say I've heard of them. What album(s) of theirs do you think are their best?

progressive but not prog, in short.

Yeah Pink Floyd did some pretty cool stuff, I'd say they're prog.

English Electric and Underfall Yard

Essentially, yeah. But like a poorly constructed prog song I gotta make everything 5 times longer than it needs to be.

experimental gentleman is 100% PURE cringe. idk what they were thinking. watch the video for it.

Yes, Pink Floyd is prog. And if you want uber pretentious, I leave you with this. youtube.com/watch?v=RtiUoEbwD7Q Reminder that the p-word is not inherently a bad thing.

>just prog rock with down syndrome.
Please explain. I don't even hate metal, but honestly can't see what you mean by that.

what are some modern bands similar to pink floyd?
youtube.com/watch?v=D4aARAFbMgg

Airbag
youtube.com/watch?v=yQyR5dTZKts

youtube.com/watch?v=PvG2ZNXQZhc

This song really reminds me of Genesis' Lamb

I'll nominate Kansas and Wishbone Ash as the best Prog rock groups of my youth

radiohead tbqh but Sup Forums will pretend they're not prog

PINK
FLOYD
IS
NOT
PROG

All caps. Oh, my. A convincing argument, you really showed everyone.

>kansas
>good prog
now THAT is good bait

youtube.com/watch?v=F96PmNbxFcA
youtube.com/watch?v=tlKGqLWg40Y
youtube.com/watch?v=Dsaqef3OQDs
youtube.com/watch?v=5qDcNLckKbI
youtu.be/vReAoF2aqNk

If Pink Floyd are prog this one right here is a quite impressive prog album.

Twas not bait. Twas merely the truth as I see it.
Surely you can't be denying that Kansas was prog rock

Raidohead isn't prog. They may be progressive, but there's no way they are prog rock. If anything, they fall under the experimental category.

moon shaped pool too

>progressive
>is also rock
>not prog rock
really makes you think

Oh, they're prog. They're just bad.

When you think about it, the alternative movement in the 90's was pretty similar to the prog boom in the 60's and 70's, except instead of jazz they incorporated electronic. they both use quite a bit of ambience and precise tunes too.

or maybe i'm retarded

I mean they just don't fit the prog rock mold.

Pro-tip:
all experimental and psyhedelic rock is progressive rock
doesn't matter if they are similar to other bands in the genre if they fit the merits of the genre

Nah, you're right. It isn't prog, but for the most part you're right.

I'm glad /prog/ generals have been up lately. I love hearing the same rehashed arguments about Pink Floyd and Radiohead being prog or not, and then the 60 posts per thread ranking King Crimson and Genesis albums, complete with another 60 posts arguing about them.

I was pretty disappointed by BBTs last album (Wassail was such a good single but god was the album as a whole boring), is this one any better?

Oh, I understand now. You're but a child.
Where were you in 1975?
Try not to comment on that which you do not know

I don't have to have been alive for an album's release to have my own opinion on it.

Your opinion has little value.
You could have said it wasn't your cup of tea.
You could have said that the 70s were years without progressive rock.
But Kansas was a force in progressive rock at that time.
Get off my lawn!

Kek

The banter has been quite enjoyable
Thanks for that

Thank you as well.

Not at all. Its worse really. It just never really goes anywhere. You can tell it was a couple of leftovers from Folklore, bolstered with a few more hastily written songs. The last song is the best one on the album, and it was the first one they revealed pre-release. You could probably cherry pick 6 or 7 songs between the both of them and have something rivaling English Electric 1 or 2.
I kinda fear for the concept album they supposedly have in the works. I don't imagine them ever reaching Underfall yard levels again.

Gazpacho rules
There were two trips who constantly used to post them

I came across this album a few weeks ago from a Sup Forums recommendation. This shit is the real dank. Can anyone else recommend something with the same style? I love how they use an opera singer, middle eastern influences, etc.

if you want more middle eastern influences
>azahar - azahar
if you want a opera singer more
>banco, any album really

ur a good dude