/U2/ general

Joshua Tree Tour rehearsals now underway...
atu2.com/news/spoilers-day-3-u2s-joshua-tree-2017-tour-rehearsals-in-vancouver.html

Other urls found in this thread:

pscp.tv/w/1nAKEBNZbXkGL
youtube.com/watch?v=iA-0wR6kaAM
youtube.com/watch?v=FAREZfudIbI
youtube.com/watch?v=hxYUFGypays
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Stop

Anyone?

fuck u2

kill yourself faggot if more relevant bands don't have generals why would this semen slurping whiny faggot have one

>more relevant bands
>other bands being more relevant than U2
Lol nice joke.

To be fair, U2 haven't been all that relevant in the mainstream/Top 40/pop culture in a good decade

i mean i like 80s U2 but holy shit dude

U2 is fucking garbage pussy shit for people who dont like music

they rehearsed A Sort of Homecoming earlier today, so fucking pumped. idk if bono can still do that song justice but it's good to know they might do some other deeper stuff besides TJT side two

Excited for Miss Sarajevo and Ultraviolet too, still hoping for some Boy tracks though

apparently they've been rehearsing SOE songs, hoping for a release this year

SOI wasn't too good, but I still think they have a good album in them, though probably not a great one

imagine how bland you have to be to enjoy the "music" of bono

The residents, whitehouse, and u2 are all in my top 5 albums. So please tell me again how "bland" I am while you listen to "unique, patrician" music like gorillaz and radiohead

this is high quality, uh, rock and roll music.

Enya with drums.

this. The "Atomic Bomb" era from 2004 - 2007 was the last time U2 was still able:
>to get Top 40 hits in America and Number 1 singles in the UK as well as number 1 hits on alternative and mainstream rock radio
>receive extensive airplay on pop/Top radio
>have a multi-million selling album
>sweep the Grammy awards
>have decent critical acclaim across the board (even Pitchfork was suprisingly positive)
>prominent references to the band/Bono in media were still really commonplace (the movie Taken, South Park obviously, Entourage, Curb Your Enthusiasm, etc.) as well as having their music soundtrack a shit ton of movies and tv shows

>I've never listened to their early records.

U2 haven't always been pumping out boring adult contemporary you know.

the joshua tree is fucking garbage

Fucking "Get on your Boots" of all songs was actually top 40 on both the US and UK charts

Source on Miss Sarajevo being on the setlist? That's my favorite U2 song.

Bono wouldn't exist except for copying Jim Morrison.

pscp.tv/w/1nAKEBNZbXkGL
At the 3:58:00 mark

meant for

heres bait children

Bonnaroo schedule is out and they're only slotted for 90 minutes which is a shame since they got 2 hours when they played Glastonbury 6 years ago.

Even the Red Hot Chili Peppers who are Sunday's headliners have more time than them.

Then why are people (outside as well as inside of /mu) constantly talking about them?

They have a large fanbase but they are no longer the huge mainstream act they were in the 80s and early to mid 90s. Even when they had a huge reivival in popularity during the "All That..." and "Atomic Bomb" eras, it still wasn't quite as big as their heyday. But that time has come and gone. U2 aren't the monolithic mainstream sensation they once were.

They get huge numbers of concert attendances and break sales gross records, but the new music isn't really selling (or even streaming) or making much of an impact outside of their core fanbase.

They've finally crossed over to being a solely a heritage touring act and not longer a big album/singles act (as far as the new stuff is concerned).

that's what they are now but I don't think they're willing to accept it. they still think they can be as big as they were in 1987 and make an album as big as TJT or AB

this is the first tour they've done not in support of a new album

Mumford & Sons is opening for them. lmao

That's such bullshit. In the past few years, Pearl Jam, Mumford and Sons, Jack White, and Elton John were all allotted 2 hours, Tame Impala got 3 hours, Paul McCartney got 3 hours, Billy Joel got 3 and 1/2 hours, T Dead and Co. got 4 hours split up into 2 sets.

They're not known for incredibly long shows (usually in the 2 - 2.5 hour range) but it's still disappointing.

I'm not surprised that the opening acts are pretty safe big name acts this time around. A lot more casual U2 fans and straight up normies than usual will be at these shows.

2000s U2 has had some decent opening acts. Arcade Fire, Interpol, Kanye back in his early days, pre-mainstream success Kings of Leon, Jay-Z, the Chemical Brothers, Muse, The Killers, PJ Harvey, Garbage etc.

80s and 90s U2 had some GOAT opening acts though: Public Enemy, Lou Reed, This Heat, The Fall, Billy Bragg, Mission of Burma, R.E.M., Pixies, The Pogues, Bjork, Einsturzende Neubauten, Primus, even themselves dressed up in costumes pretending to be a country band

>This Heat

Whoa really? Old guy talked about seeing Rage Against the Machine open for them on PopMart and I thought even that would be pushing it for the stadium crowd

>I thought even that would be pushing it for the stadium crowd
This was in their pre-stadium U2, back in their post-punk days when they were still doing the club/theater circuit.

youtube.com/watch?v=iA-0wR6kaAM

actually love this song, it always gets overlooked for being on a weak album

NLOTH had some good tracks honestly, it also had some absolutely horrible ones.

What's /u2/'s opinion on ATYCLB

I think Beautiful Day and Walk On are genuinely epic and stirring, Elevation is a good big dumb rock song, and everything else is completely unmemorable

It's a lot of fun
Not God tier like their earlier stuff tho

mostly agree but I think Stuck in a Moment You Can't Get Out Of is a good song. I like Peace on Earth too despite the awkward lyrics

Beautiful Day is fun. Stuck is pretty good. Elevation is a big dumb rock song, but I don't usually want to hear it. Walk On is decent, but way overrated.

The rest of the album is pretty shit, much like Atomic Bomb (which, imo is even worse).

I think Atomic Bomb is better overall. ATYCLB is complete forgettable shit after the first 4 songs with little exception. I can at least remember what all the songs on Bomb sound like, and there are a few hidden gems in the deeper cuts (Miracle Drug, Original of Species)

Atomic Bomb has lower lows I feel.

youtube.com/watch?v=FAREZfudIbI

Oh hell yes

I'm so glad they're bringing this back. They played it a lot during the Unforgettable Fire tour, on the initial spring dates of the Joshua Tree tour, and since then only twice in 2001.

Fuck you, too

damn

New song apparently:
youtube.com/watch?v=hxYUFGypays

Bonnaroo has gone to utter shit as of late.