Hey Sup Forums

hey Sup Forums

Why don't people use greywater recycling systems to save water?

It saves water and money.

Other urls found in this thread:

channel.nationalgeographic.com/water-and-power-a-california-heist/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

1L of fresh water costs 0,018€

what is the ROI on your greywater system?

>ROI
not quite sure, but everytime you flush the toilet about 7 liters of potable tap water is drained into the sewer. isn't that just sad?

Poorfag here.

My parents used to save tub water to flush the toilet, but that's as close as it gets.

Personally, I don't think the 10 cents saved per month are worth the trouble.

Instead, I put 1-2 bricks into my toilet tank to reduce the water output per flush.

>feelsbadman.part1

-15% sludge treatment

-1500% when your toddler drinks from the toilet and gets malaria

Cost of installation. A few thousand on a system would see a return on investment on about 238 years of water bills.

sorry my fault forgot a 0

0,0018 €

or 0,18 cents

Because we're rich enough to not give a shit.

why would it?

100% of it gets recycled

This.

well it's more reusing the water from shower and sink in the toilet. not the other way around

also greywater can be used for irrigation

>OP is a retard who doesn't understand where our clean water comes from

still, in about 50 years time droughts will be more frequent and saving that water that was flushed down the toilet could mean saving your life

>also greywater can be used for irrigation
Much like used motor oil.

what?
how did you arrive at this conclusion?

No i understand where it comes from

i donno about USA but I know that in most countries water comes from freshwater sources(groundwater, lakes rivers blabla), it's filtered then fed into the main system

i'm a bit drunk and i'm guessing :P

still droughts will be more and more frequent due to global warming

should be a local problem

because total fresh water volume should increase

how do you reckon

due to globla warming, it gets hotter --> more evaporation --> more rain

but if you live in an area that is prone to droughts gobal warming might increase the problem

and if we are talking about farming the higher temperatures are propably not countered by the increased rain volume

but in developed countries (the ones with toilets) we collect and store the water we want to use

so the amount of available tap water will increase

in certain regions it will be, in others it won't

plus water is a cycle, if you consume faster than the rate at which the ground water regenerates and the lakes and rivers refill, you will end up with less water despite higher rainfall

also a big portion of that rain will just fall into the sea

Ha. Funny how I just watched a documentary last night about the southern US running out of water because it's all being used by big agriculture to grow crops largely for export. People's wells are running dry because the ground water is being pumped out faster than it's replenished not to mention the problem of ground subsidence.

this is what i mean

channel.nationalgeographic.com/water-and-power-a-california-heist/

You could take the initiative to capture your greywater, such as diverting your washing machine rinse hose into a clean garbage can, then using that water to flush by manually filling the tank, or directly pouring (takes practice to avoid splash, and slowly so you end up with rinse, not pee) into the bowl.

Same with rinse water from doing your dishes. Dump the wash water - it gets gross and you don't want to start life form colonies. But save the rinse water.

Pain in the ass though, and requires real estate in your apt or house.

Are you survivor basement man

Stop shilling!

Where I live there is plenty of water so there is no problem. Me saving water will not move more water to dry places

No, but I could set up a pumping station nearby and sell all that water to the dry places for a premium!

I feel like thats the real story that never gets told.. how little of the water is used by people in CA and how much is used by farmers / industrial

while people are using a tea cup to shave

oh well i think the CA water crisis is over for the time being though

>
fucking capitalist

w t f is that picture

because my water bill is like 60 dollars a month... so i dont care...

No you can't because it costs too much to move the water from plentiful areas to dry areas.. water takes up a lot of space and weighs a lot and sells for cheap

his nose is the bowl

Depending on the source and location of the drought there are two options. Pipeline that shit if it's a great source, or near multiple good souces.
Or if it's close enough and your premiums due to massive demand are high enough, bottle and ship to/from wherever.

In the 1st world fresh clean water costs a couples cents per gallon.

Why waste a bunch of time and money moving/saving a bunch of dirty water?

maybe. Pipelines are super expensive though and you need a big one for water. They talk about piping water from the great lakes elsewhere sometimes but people get up in arms.. especially when you consider that up to 90% is going to agriculture. maybe we shouldnt be growing crops in the desert?

OP is on to something we will run out of water eventually

They are doing it though. In china for instance they are spending 100 billion dollars to pipe water from the south to the north.. Or in libya they were spending 20 billion or so to pipe water from fossil aquifers beneath the desert to the cities

Great lakes makes me laugh.
They just keep getting lower and lower; while the US (probably Canada too) bottle and sell it all over the place.
I'd say up in arms because if bottling is causing this much of a buzz, you can assume that installing the drain would make people flip their shit.

Crops in the desert though.... Tough call. Because if you have a viable water source, all that sun makes for an impressive growing season.

Perhaps, California should be smart and containing excess moisture in a greenhouse system instead of open crops.
Sure, it might cost a bit more to set up, but in the long term it's the best option imaginable.

Take Vegas for example. Their water reclamation system is phenomenal! So little water needed for such a large city in the desert!
CA just needs to try harder and stop being a bunch of stoned faggots.

Heh -
No, but one year we had a pretty severe drought, and we were encouraged to conserve as much as possible. We ended up using half as much as normally. Glad we don't have to do that regularly. We also caught rain water from the one brief storm we had - the roof filled 66 gallons within an hour. That allowed us to water the garden for weeks.

>Why waste a bunch of time and money moving/saving a bunch of dirty water?

In some places it's not about the money or time - it really is about the water, as no alternatives exist.

>In some places it's not about the money or time - it really is about the water, as no alternatives exist.

Where? I doubt anyone on Sup Forums lives in these places. so what the fuck are you on about?

Plenty of greywater systems in Santa Barbara area, where water is quite scarce.