Zappa, where should I start?

Zappa, where should I start?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=MicM9CGxg-E
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

youtube.com/watch?v=MicM9CGxg-E

Freak Out! obviously. Cruising with the Ruben and the Jets and his albums of guitar solos can be skipped. Also, don't skip Yellow Shark. It's Zappa's classical musical performed competently and it sounds the way he wanted it to sound.

theres a chart

i say

1:we're only in it for the money
2 hot rats
3 apostrophe

if you don't like those, don't bother with anything else

Just go through chronological order. Read about each album and skip the ones that were released with out his input.
Save Yellow Shark for last, it's quite emotional hearing Zappas music 'the way it was meant to be'.

[2]

Exactly

If you want the extent of his talent as a guitarist, check out pic related or Hot Rats.
If you want the extent of his talent as a songwriter, check out Yellow Shark, Weasels Ripped my Flesh or Joe's Garage.
One Size Fits All was okay and his mastubatory guitar solo albums aren't that good.

the toilet store

It took me a while to get into Zappa, but Weasels Ripped My Flesh was the first one that clicked for me, so I'd recommend that

wtf
literally the most overrated zappa albums
my list:
1. Freak Out!
2. Weasels ripped my flesh
3. Uncle Meat

Apostrophe or Joe's Garage
Hot Rats if you want that sweet sweet musicianship
Shut Up 'N Play Yer Guitar is tight and Zappa's masturbatory guitar albums are fun imo

Don't start
He's a right wing cunt

go back to Sup Forums with your bullshit ass boring politics that nobody cares about

right wing left wing who gives a shit? we are here for MUSIC not Trump. Fuck you for even mentioning politics, partypooper

I just wanted a (You), thank you man.

Here's the breakdown

my favorites are

1. sleep dirt
2. absolutely free
3. joe's garage.

listen to Uncle Meat until you love it

Zappa went through many lineups and sounds throughout his career and each person has his favorite so I'd say just go through his discography chronologically, picking one or two albums from every period. It's a lot to plow through but I mean he's a rock legend and while I find his music very hit and miss personally, when he's good he's fucking great.

this one is a difficult one for me to wrap my head around honestly. i've listened to it a few times but i just don't get it. i don't hate it but i don't understand it either.

It's an odd one, but it's my personal favorite Zappa album. I think it shows how versatile he was as a composer. Pop, rock. jazz, classical; its all there. He just lets it rip on that album

dont

Absolutely Free

If you like the prog rock jams check his solo stuff

If you like the satricial/weird aspects check out his Mothers stuff

Freak Out!
Apostrophe(')
Hot Rats
The Grand Wazoo
One Size Fots All
Weasles Ripped My Flesh
We're Only in it for the Money