Newfag to guitars. Looking for a nice beginner set, and came across this. I heard it's nice for starters...

Newfag to guitars. Looking for a nice beginner set, and came across this. I heard it's nice for starters. Any guitarfags here to help me?

Thanks Sup Forumsrothers

That's not too shabby. Though I'd suggest a fixed bridge, a Strat (clone) is a very versatile guitar.

Yeah, thought it was alright due to the accessories.

Also for the bridge, aren't Fenders screw on? And sorry to be brainless, but why would you choose the fixed bridge?

I'd probably suggest buy something second-hand just because you can almost definitely get just about the same thing you posted for half the price.

If you want to play guitar there's no way around putting in the work to learn how to pay guitar. Any guitar that costs $100 and up new will be good enough for you to begin on and by the time you outgrow it you'll know what you want.

Also, I love classical guitars and I think they're great for learning but it really narrows the kind of stuff you can play.

Solid bundle to start. Had an affinity strat for years and people always commented on how unbelievable it was for such a cheap guitar. If you were into metal though, this would not be the right guitar.

If I had to start from scratch again, I'd get a Yamaha Pacifica and a Roland MicroCube. The yamaha is a little more versatile, the micro cube is super portable and can be used with batteries for jamming in the park and stuff like that. Depending on whether you buy those new or used, that could cost you around a hundred bucks more than that bundle though.

I second this. Go used for your first guitar if you're looking for something cheaper. What are your favorite bands? I would base your guitar decisions on what they play

I'm mainly just looking into it due to the accessories it offers. I'm a cheapstake, get-everything-for-price-of-one kinda guy, you feel?

I am considering purchasing a second hand guitar, although. Saw a few Fenders on craigslist, and thinking about them. Prices were about 100.

I'm mostly just wanting to play overall Nirvana and 90s rock.
>inb4 "Haha, fag"

Really into metal for years before I said fuck it, bought a BC rich and started playing.
1. If you want any kind of distortion, getting a respectable, mid-range pedal early on is not a bad idea. It is easier than trying to work the gain for overdrive.
2. Few extra picks won't hurt, I always lose the damn things.
3. If you get a buzzing from the frets, or the strings are irritatingly high from the frets, might need to work the 'setup.' Plenty of guides for this online, I dealt with it for a while before figuring out how to fix that.

Good luck!

I feel you, and thanks for sharing your knowledge with me. I'm not really meaning to play metal, just overall 90s rock. Picked this mainly because Kurt Cocaine owned a Fender, so my faggy instinct is "PICK ONE UP!!"

>Nirvana

Ah. You might be downtuning. I use tuning apps for iphone, they make it easy to go back and forth if you are not yet able to tune by ear.

Ye, sorry to disappoint you, user :((

I have very shitty taste in music.

Also, I've tried a tuning app on my laptop. The guitar sounded like shit, but probably because it was a horrid toy-like guitar. The bad ones youd find from Amazon.

Fixed bridges will help with sustain and help with keeping your tuning.

Strats should be fine for the 90's grungy sound, or failing that I've always had a soft spot for Ibanez

Awesome, thanks for the good advice.

Yeah, picks are annoying to fucking lose. Just like damn pencils, you always lose em.

Right on, thanks for lettin me know.

strats are very versatile guitars. You can play anything on them to be honest. Metal, Rock, Blues, funk, jazz. The amp is kind of meh, but it'll do for a beginner. Who cares about sustain and other things as a beginner, fixed bridges are easier to learn but you can always get something to keep the bridge fixed. It's easier to learn because you brace your hand against the bridge usually and if it's not fixed then it'll warp the sound as you press against the bridge.

That's the best starter set you can get. Shitty amp but who cares you're new and it won't really matter. The pics are w/e picks are super cheap and don't matter. There's a Whammy bar but only kids who dont plan on getting good use those. The carry bag kinda sucks but who cares its a 100 dollar guitar. The tuner will be useful since you'll suck in the start.

If you want to get good at guitar and you don't have the motivation or patience when it starts getting annoying learning chords and shit torrent Rocksmith for the PC it's like IRL Guitar Hero

Eh, I don't think you're really getting anything particularly valuable there in the bundle. I'd personally rather buy a $100 guitar, $50 or less on a comparable amp, $10 on a cable, and none of the other stuff.

You'd probably end up with better gear and save $30 to $50.

I got a similar 10W practice amp from costco once for $20.

Kurt is known to use Fender Mustangs. Squier has them brand new for about $150 so if you want the look that is your best bet and it does not have a trem.

And if you're going to be playing with downtuning and shit a Strat's trem is going to give you nightmares.

DO NOT BUY A GUITAR WITHOUT TRYING IT FIRST. This goes for both used and new. Go to a store and try the guitars that interest you.

You can easily hardtail any strat For like 2$

I've heard Strats and Fenders are practically the same. Prove them it's not please?

But yeah, I'm taking that advice in. I've been hearing a lot of "get Strat guitars" today.

Yeah, Im just getting this really to see if I'll be totally wanting to play for a while. Getting in the mood.

Yeah, everythings cheap Chinese made. But refer to ^

I think I'll just go for the second hand purchasing. It sounds better

Dubs of truth.

But thanks for lettin me know.

I would go to a guitar store, but I'm terrible at knowing what to look for in a guitar

Strats are Fenders....

Whoops.
>Newfag

My buddy gave me a squier standard strat and holy shit is the bridge abysmal.

When he gave it to me the bridge was about 3 inches off the body, I had a some spare parts so I threw 2 more springs in it so now it has 5 and sits flush now.

The issue now is that when I adjusted the action everything after the 12th fret gave some serious buzz. I love a low action but the only way to make the damn thing playable was to raise the saddles to almost the the tips and the action is stupid fucking high.

Is there any way to fix this? I feel like removing a spring would help but I hated having the bridge floating.

That's fine for someone just starting.

It's trash, but, chances are you will give up in a couple of weeks when you realize it's hard and nobody thinks it's cool anymore; so it'll just sit in your closet.

Yamaha do some really good beginner guitars

hit some garage sales. People sell crap for cheap that's worth way more than they're selling it for.

If you really insist on trem bridge then pay the money to get it professionally set-up (providing the guitar is worth it), or just get a fixed bridge. Unless you've been tinkering for years and know how to diagnose and fix issues yourself they'll always have issues

I started with a Maestro by Gibson and the Ralph Paul dvd

You don't need to know what to look for. Especially if it is your first guitar.

Get something that feels nice and comfy. Nobody can tell you what is nice and comfy simply because we all have different bodies and that is why it is important for you to try them out first.

For example. Some people swear by Les Pauls but when I play one sitting down the lack of contouring on the back means it diggs into my ribs and shit's not so comfy.

Les Pauls are the most un-ergonomic guitars invented. So uncomfortable and unnecessarily weighty

It's really just a small project I was doing for him and I guess he gave up on it and that's why he gave it to me. I took it to GC and Sam Ash and they both told me they got work backlogged for weeks and I didn't care to insist them on fixing it since it's just a Squier.

I hear you, Strip it for parts!

I doubt this is what your looking for since I mostly play metal but this was my starter electric guitar, ibanez mikro I have a better floating bridge guitar now but I honestly didn't even think of that stuff at the time, I'm thinking of grabbing a fixed bridge Jackson soloist simply to add to my collection anyway this is a good little guitar tho smaller than standard guitars, but that doesn't affect anything

Yeah, it's called turning the truss rod a little bit to change the bow in the neck. That way you can get the proper bow in the neck without having high action and fret buzz, with proper 12th fret intonation.

That's the thing though. I actually like heavy guitars so I gave the Les Paul a go.

There's something about light guitars that just makes me go "this shit is going to break on me the minute I look at it wrong"

Yes, get the pic related. The squire starter pack is as good as any.

PRS are the most confortable I find, they're exquisite pieces of luthiery, even their SE series

Indonesia made guitars are real shit man ... that's why I cannot support any beginner model ibanez. Even Chinese made guitars are better made nowadays. I've always had issues with ibanez, the necks aren't rolled well and the tone sounds thin and uninspiring.

Go to Craigslist list and get an acoustic guitar second hand they're much less forgiving so you have to perfect your technique trust me it'll make you a better guitarist in the long run

Meh I got good use out of it, love the necks on mine that's why I upgraded to an rg350exz had a year or two where I stopped playing for a while but when I picked my mikro back up it was fun af

Yeah. I played an SE custom 22 recently and it just felt so fucking good. But it was also kind of off somehow

You know it's like that girl the you met that one time and she was a 10/10, sex was great and everything seemed perfect on the date but you somehow did not connect.

I got basically the same thing when I was 14, I don't know if mine was defective or not but that fucker would come out of tune after 10 mins of playing. I liked my friend's Yamaha cheapo waaaaayyyy more. just my 2 cents.

Bump just because

Protip:
Buy a new set of strings (009 or 010) (daddario, ernieball, elixir) and get a setup done on the guitar.

I use 012 thomastik infield but they're mainly for jazz and it takes years getting used to stronger gauges in E standard due to the higher tension

Btw protip2
About Ibanez: get made in japan models.

I have a couple of RGs laying around from the 90s and they are actualy good quality instruments.

Not as good as my 78 es175 ofc but still good value and really cheap in the used market.

Hardware must be made by gotoh otherwise can be fake or crappy model

I'd recommend 010. 009 are much easier to bend but with 010 he'll build up some finger strength and that will come in handy if he tries heavier gauges.

I agree with D'addario strings, they're the only ones I use. Also once you find you enjoy playing you can always invest in some locking tuners which are easy to install and will help keep your guitar in tune. Also, don't leave it out collecting dust, moisture and other pressure changes will warp the neck and also untune your guitar. I always keep mine in their cases. Helps regulate the temperature and humidity.

OMG, I cannot second this enough. For some reason all my guitar's made in Japan seem super high quality and sometimes better than american made products.

I've got the SE Custom 24 and it's a beast. For the money paid it rivals some double the value for playability.

Each to their own my man

Too heavy-a-gauge could cause long term injury in beginners

You can play any Nirvana song (or 90's alt rock song) in standard tuning easily. The whole "down a half step" shit is only useful if you're trying to play along with the song itself. No one can tell the difference otherwise.

because 10's are heavy? Haha, they're considered light. 11's are medium man.

Depnds if man arms or weedy fag

They are absolutely flawless guitars I'll give em that. Looks wise, playability wise and tone wise nothing beats them in the same price range.

And like you said, to each their own. I like my guitars to have some faults. PRS are pretty much perfect in all departments

10's are light for everyone. Even children can play on 10 gauge.

The thing is, 9's are light enough that if you are doing something wrong with your fingers you don't notice because there is hardly any fatigue. 10's at least let you know that something is wrong before you develop bad habits

My tecnician told me it is related to the luthier schools of japan, those guys are pretty serious.

Notice the neckson many designs allways have easier access to the top frets, from superstrats to semi-hollows to archtops

Nah. Most likely better paid and better workforce with actual quality control.

China/Indonesia factories are pretty much sweatshops

Guys there is allways wes montgomery playing with 014 in the 40s...

Its a mater of personal taste + getting used to the tension + good setup.

Even on 335 and les pauls a good setup is very important.

Height of the nut, material of the nut, angle of the bridge lubrification of the saddles, tightness of the tunners. (asuming its all quality parts)

Otherwise nut/bridge/tunners and fret leveling will have a huge impact onhow the guitar performs.

Its very easy to overlook simple stuff when DIY. Find a local experienced sucessfull guitar builder/luthier and you'll see the diference.

Yeah. I'd love to see a new player go for 014 or 013.

Not even the best luthier in the world can make heavy gauges playable for newbies. They jsut don't have the finger strength for it.

I'd recommend Epiphone Les Paul's. I think they're better quality.

They're pretty much the same.

You just get more bad reports from Squiers because more people buy them. If you ask someone that does not care much about music to describe you an electric guitar you'll almost always get a Strat.

Hence, when Mommy decides to go to GC to pickup a guitar for little Timmy since he was a very good boy she'll get the Strat pack because it looks familiar.