What are your thoughts on the state of the movie industry?

What are your thoughts on the state of the movie industry?

Other urls found in this thread:

slashfilm.com/jump-street-men-in-black-crossover/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

They have no good ideas if reboots is all they can come up with.

It's doing better than it ever has, honestly.

Yeah, we still get shit like your pic right there, But the awesome part is, that movie didn't do well. It's easier and easier for the common man to discern between soulless cash grab and genuine effort, and remakes/adaptations/sequels that actually FUCKING TRY are rewarded more and more.

On top of that, it's never been easier for some regular shmoe to get his hands on studio grade equipment and software, and do his own thing, or at the very least fake it.

And as a strict viewer, with the advent of streaming entertainment, it has never been easier or more fufilling. There is an absolute glut of fantastic entertainment. Moreso than there ever has been in the history of mankind. It really is an amazing time to be alive.

it's all going to go belly up if animation and cbm stop being a box office draw

how about the fact there has barely been a great film in the last 5 years

Well, you'd be wrong.
>Name some

Here's a list of 20 great films over the last 5 years

>All those movies suck because I said so

You're a pedantic, cynical little man, and probably underage.

There. I just saved us both 20 minutes.

Pretty sad for about the state of cinema specifically. Kid movies and sequals/reboots are the biggest cash cows and the most frequently pumped out, I think it is a big reason this year's box office numbers are down, people know what the expect of the biggest movies.

It's all been done to death, and they don't care about making something great any more, they only care about making money. They put out the most simplistic and thoughtless trash in today's movies because that's what they think the public will eat up, and most of them do because they're idiots and don't know any better, and they don't really care about going to a movie to think, or see something that is truly a work of art, they want nothing more than cliched mindless entertainment to distract them.

Sure, they still know how to make great, one of a kind movies, but it's very rare when we actually do see one these days.

Budgets have grown so wildly out of control (for example adjusted for inflation the original Ghostbusters would still have cost a third of the reboot's budget) that it's made studios feel obligated to put their money behind only what they deem to be sure bets usually in the form of sequels, reboots, adaptations etc. And even that's starting to fail because what they produce often has little connection to the source material they were using to coax audiences into buying. Sure there are still people making smaller, personal films but the "film industry" is pretty shaky right now and I could easily it crashing in the not too distant future.

need more capeshit

If you call deadpool and civil war great movies you might get to 20

Not enough $30-75 million dollar movies being made.

They are either bloated 200 million epics or shot on a shoestring budget for 2 mil where they pay everyone in bits of string.

Over-saturation of capeshit, the genre needs to die. Budgets are bloated, industry is due for a crash. Hopefully new medias(Netflix, piracy, etc) will precipitate this process.
Otherwise, it's not as bad as people make it out to be, there are still good films being made, you just have to keep an eye out for them because they often fly under the radar.

>It's all been done to death, and they don't care about making something great any more, they only care about making money.

Here's the problem though.
That's literally always been the case.

It is widely agreed that the very first full length motion picture was Birth of a Nation, in 1915.
The very SECOND movie was it's sequel, Fall of a Nation, in 1916.

Sequels, remakes and cash-ins have been around, literally as long as the medium itself. It's like complaining there's sharks in the ocean. They've been there longer than you have. Embrace them, avoid them, or go fuck yourself.

You're right when you say there's more of that soulless shit now than ever before, but you know what else there is now than ever before? Movies. Of any kind. There's more entertainment of the moving picture variety now than at any point in human history, of COURSE there's going to be more shit movies.
But there's also more GOOD movies. The numbers have changed, the proportions have not. The business strategies have not.

Go find something new to complain about, or go watch some goddamn movies. Build some perspective.

Not enough creative risk to be honest anons

>le films by Alejandro Inarritu

those are garbage though. Have you actually seen any good movies?

This guy gets it

Death Wish IV
The Money Pit

and that's just today you plebe

Nailed it. And I mean this with no sarcasm.

What did she mean by this?

she meant pic related

Pandering to the max.

All major Studios expect for Disney and maybe Universal will go bankrupt.
The number of good mainstream movies released each year will become even lower.
Maybe online services like Netflix will manage to substitute them as quality movie producers, but I don't hold my breath.

>Universal
The same Universal that keeps trying (and failing) to make an MCU style cinematic universe for monsters?

> financially

Seems to be healthier than ever. Huge budgets. Box office records being broken seemingly every year

> artistically

I feel disconnected from most stuff. Seems like it isn't targeted at me. Everything seems to be a really dumbed down story or a remake with no original ideas. I mean every single Marvel movie is the formula with the same dialogue yet millions of people flock to see them all without fail. Then praise it as ZOMG SOOO F'n AMAAAAZING

But i feel the same way about music as well, an artistic medium i'm much more "in tune" with.

I'm probably just an old grouchy fucker though desu

>Insult white males
>modern fanbase are mostly white males

Absolutely dismal. The studios have too much power.

We need to go back to state of affairs we had in the 60's, 70's, 80's, and early 90's.
We need a new United Artists, a new Dino De Laurentiis. Is A24 a new beginning?
Directors need to be given back creative control, that's how all the good films now being remade and rebooted came about in the first place.
Remakes should be director driven, not Studio driven, like John Carpenter's The Thing.

There needs to be more diversity, when it comes to writers and actors, the formula is getting stale.
And in regard's to women's roles, we need to bring back the Hays Code.
Look at films of the 30's, 40's, 50's, and 60's and you'll find women in starring roles, actually being funny.
The hypersexualization and objectification of women following the abolishment of the Hays Code has ruined the potential of several movies and has left several amazing actresses undiscovered.

this.

Think you're so clever, don't you

Hard to find new movies to watch when most of them are shit and can only hold the attention of a retarded person.

I hope to god the movie industry fails and all those faggots in jewwood end up as street beggars.

Embezzlement

Films are bigger than ever.

If you mean 'the fact there has barely been a film I liked', that's your opinion and it's irrelevant

>how about the fact there has barely been a great film in the last 5 years
This film was 10/10

Eh it was more like a solid SOLID 7, both leads were great though.

hah and then the parking guy is like "Sorry I can't park your car with someone in there"

>"You know who else was following orders? Hitler".
What did Ryan Gosling mean by this?

>Can't think of a single movie that's coming out that isn't part of an established franchise (comics, toys, videogames), a sequel, or remake
>Plan to start going to school for film

I'm scared. I mean I don't believe I'm going to be anything more than somebody's lackey and Marvel is filming tons of movies in my state. I just don't know if it can really last.

>make Godzilla 2014
>make Kong Skull Island
>make Kong vs Godzilla
>call it a "Kong/Godzilla Cinematic Universe"

Are you ready for the Men in Black Jonah Hill Jump Street Cinematic Universe?

slashfilm.com/jump-street-men-in-black-crossover/

To be honest, MIB 2 and 3 were crap, so if Jonah and Channing as MIB agents taking the piss out of the whole thing wouldn't be terrible

>Jonah gets tentacle raped and liked it

>To be honest, MIB 2 and 3 were crap
Fuck you

No, fuck YOU. They are mediocre sequels with maybe 1 or 2 good bits in them, third one being the worst offender.

>third one being the worst offender.

wow... tell me you are joking user.

If you are not... Fuck you :^)

I agree, however, I think part of the problem these days is the constant and unrelenting marketing we are pushed and the volume of shit.

So the quality of the good stuff has gone way up, but the ratio of good:shit has plummeted.

Its pretty sick how we are constantly fed advertisements these days and there seem to be no real impartial reviews/chat shows etc.

Incidentally I just realized that the new Ghostbusters cost $40m more to make than The Martian.

and made $500m less at the box office
KEK