/jazz/

Just waking up for a morning run edition

What are you listening to right now?
What are your favourite labels?
What are your favourite jazz releases from this year?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=MJ2A2DX1H64
youtube.com/watch?v=8u6906azS4k
youtube.com/watch?v=cV-XyzbG17I
youtube.com/watch?v=AQMgXPFzdg8
youtube.com/watch?v=Em3XjsMuhTA
rateyourmusic.com/collection/jazzthreadguy/strm_relyear,ss.rd/2017
soundcloud.com/slapabass/darn-that-dream
rateyourmusic.com/artist/joe_henderson/credits/
youtube.com/watch?v=rtW1S5EbHgU
rateyourmusic.com/collection/jazzthreadguy/reviews
youtube.com/watch?v=j1DithiAmko&index=39&list=PL7EF6D9F0A935648F
youtube.com/watch?v=3hOERnIuvbg
youtube.com/watch?v=LujP4z7oYqU
youtube.com/watch?v=aeyI-S3RKk0
youtube.com/watch?v=aLEb0PPsWWg
youtube.com/watch?v=nqc0LrLq8IM
youtube.com/watch?v=awUsLrEb1EU
youtube.com/watch?v=zsE6ksls-3g
youtube.com/watch?v=pB95Teu_iOA
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Magma
or
cryptopsy
or
Batman Soundtrack
I can't remember

It gets memed a lot but going for a walk at like 4 AM with a love supreme was one of my favorite moments this week for me

that sounds great.
how was the weather?
why were you up at 4?

how do I become cool enough to post in /jazz/

you already are user :)

I've had a pretty terrible sleep schedule with finals coming up. It started raining just as I got to psalm, felt amazing.

Anyone here listened to much T-Square or Casiopea? They might be a bit more /funk/ than jazz but I saw a couple albums on YouTube and was curious if anyone had any recs from them.

being cool not required?

>I've had a pretty terrible sleep schedule with finals coming up
I feel you. It's 4 AM where I am and I've fucked around on the internet all night even though I have late papers and finals bearing down on me.

Rank the albums by Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers, go.

I only own "moanin'"

so it gets #1

post qt jazz
thx

Anime is not cool.
You have to leave.

fuck....

new Avishai Cohen (trumpeter) album is out now, going to listen to that in just a minute

ordered some cool jazz vinyl yesterday - Sam Rivers' Streams and Marcus Belgrave's Gemini

i remember jtg posted this magazine that had a good review of skies of america (i think), does anybody have that?

blindfold teste is still a thing?

i still think they should stop having a general and bring them over to /jazz/ or /classical/

HERBIE BITCH

what's that?

listening to another new release from this week: Jukka Eskola Soul Trio. Out yesterday on soul focused Timmion Records.

youtube.com/watch?v=MJ2A2DX1H64
Groovy!

Any modern jazz artists you can recommend in the same vein of flying lotus and austin peralta? If you don't like either of them can you name better artists?

They stopped around a month or two ago. I've seen Jazzpossu and Jtg posting and I'm sure the other guys post user too.
They were kind of supposed to also be /jazz/ threads too. People still talked about other stuff in them occasionally.
/jazz/ has really started picking up in the past few weeks though and I think there'd be enough interest to start up some sort of listen along similar to blindfold. I'm in exam season so I'm kinda screwed for time atm, but might try and start something over the Summer if someone else hasn't already.

It was a weekly thread where someone would upload a playlist of 10 tracks with the info removed and people discussed them/guessed who the players/artists were. There was usually some sort of theme to the playlists too. For a couple of months, it was where 95% of the jazz discussion on the board happened and it was one of the best regular threads I've ever seen on Sup Forums.

Top 5:
Orgy in Rhythm
Mosaic
Birdland Vol. 1
Free For All
Moanin'

Sick with a cold right now. Listening to some Mahavishnu Orchestra and drinking some tea. Pretty comfy cold symptoms aside.

Reminder that JTG is a hack with bad taste.

Anyone here who also performs? Or is it just a listener's club?

youtube.com/watch?v=8u6906azS4k
opinions on this?
I personally love pianists
this and Ryo Fukui are my favorites, recommendations?

I would try Alice Coltrane. Try Ptah the El Daud and A Monastic Trio.

thanks, I'll check it out

I feel like most japanese jazz pianists sound quite similar to Oscar Peterson.

Kind of Blue is cool and all but I don't get how it's considered the best jazz album ever made or Miles' masterpiece.

youtube.com/watch?v=cV-XyzbG17I

Stellar line-up + innovative songwriting.
That coupled with the fact that it's easy to listen makes it the 1st choice to try to hook people into jazz.

I found it, it's not about skied of america but about sonny rollins, i don't even know if it was jtg that posted it

Here is the first page.

New one from my boy Toufic; check it out.

bump

What's a good japanese jazz album? and Ryu Fukui is boring as shit so don't post him

I wonder how many jazz musicians suck dick just to get by.

Interested in getting one to suck yours?

If you want to succeed on the music industry you have to suck a bit of dick.

youtube.com/watch?v=AQMgXPFzdg8

/classical/ got me curious I just want to get a feel for how widespread it is.

youtube.com/watch?v=Em3XjsMuhTA

There's nothing shameful with sucking dick when you're short on money, don't be shy user.
You can practice your sax techniques while on it.

I'm a guitar player interested in getting into and studying jazz. Which guitarists should I study besides Grant Green, Wes Montgomery, Django, etc.

I only know that herbie hancock is a genius

Why is it cool to hate on Ryo Fukui now?

>now
I always found him boring

Because he's ridiculously overrated and probably only liked by people who have hardly listened to any jazz

Charlie Christian, Jim Hall, Pat Martino, Joe Pass, Pat Metheny, Kurt Rosenwinkel, Marc Ribot

post more good releases from this year

rateyourmusic.com/collection/jazzthreadguy/strm_relyear,ss.rd/2017

>/classical/ got me curious
>???
>mfw

redpill me on Joe henderson

There are a thousand guitarists and most of them are good.
To say something odd I'd add Barney Kessel, he has a very intense chordal improvisation.

im listening to Diana Krall's new album Turn Up The Quiet! shes amazing.

Here's a trio with me on bass playing Darn That Dream soundcloud.com/slapabass/darn-that-dream

For the same reason any entry-level artist in any genre gets dissed on by purists.
Some of them get annoyed at people pretending they're long-life jazz fans when that's as deep as their taste in the genre goes, and some of them are legitimately upset that so many people are enjoying their "sekrit" genre.
That's not to say he's devoid of valid criticism though, it's true that his vocabulary when compared to the greats is somewhat shallow, which might make it sound boring to people more versed in piano trios.

>For the same reason any entry-level artist in any genre gets dissed on by purists

Except that anyone who really understands jazz will tell you that Miles, Coltrane, and Mingus (the classic entry level jazz artists) are all god-tier

There's too much to bother listing. Just look at rateyourmusic.com/artist/joe_henderson/credits/
Sort albums by most rated for his sessions as a leader and look into the credits section of his discog too. His best work was as a sideman, and you can see that reflected in how much more popular a lot of them are than his sessions as a leader. Again, the big ones generally have the highest number of ratings, with some exceptions. I was surprised how few some classics like Una Mas and Barsa had, but it's a good rule of thumb.

How do you sort this by rating?
I'm retarded.

^

I keep coming back to this new Kamasi Washington and its music video (never once known a jazz song to have a good video if any at all)

youtube.com/watch?v=rtW1S5EbHgU

>jazz artist is best known for playing with hip hop artists
>jazz artist records for Brainfeeder label
>jazz artist releases a single
>jazz artist's single has a music video
>"jazz artist"

But they all have plenty of albums that are hard to listen, you can't really label them as "entry-level" artists, they're just massively popular.

dumb frogposter

There's a difference between classic albums and entry level albums

I'm revisiting a lot of the free jazz I enjoyed at university -

Phaorah Sanders, John Hicks, Coltrane, Mingus

Labels-wise I fucking love ECM - their records always feel so conceptually complete through the most amazing curation of album art. I've only got one beat-up ECM vinyl but I love it (Shift in the Wind, Gary Peacock)

Where it says "Reviews Ratings Average" if you click one of those words, it sorts it.

He's right though

I have got into jazz pretty recently, I like to listen many artists that you anons would consider entry-level, like Ryo Fukui, John Coltrane, Alice Coltrane, Bohren & der Club of Gore and also I've been really in love with some albums of Sun Ra, Dorothy Ashby and Cal Tjader.

I would appreciate a lot any recs, charts or sources where I could learn more about the genre...

Try jazz impressions of Japan

Honestly you've got the basis to get a wide coverage of the genre right there. I tend to just read up on individual band members and see who they've played with. I came across 70% of all the jazz I know just from following the bassist's discography.

Example - Alice Coltrane played with Charlie Haden, who played with Jan Garbarek, who played with Eberhard Faber - Now I'm a big Eberhard Weber fan

Got it. Thanks for the tip, I was kinda lost.

rateyourmusic.com/collection/jazzthreadguy/reviews
good resource for some more obscure artists

No problem - Also bass players have a way of setting the 'tone' for a band so you can be fairly sure that, say, a record with Clint Houston on it will sound a certain way, or be approximately like the thing you liked before

Thanks! I've saved the page here

Thank you again, that's some good wisdom right there for a pleb like me.

bump

jazzy bump

youtube.com/watch?v=j1DithiAmko&index=39&list=PL7EF6D9F0A935648F

love this album, nothing mindblowing in terms of "different sound" but just such good playing

bump

It's not completely a jazz album, but have jazzy parts and it's my favorite soundtrack ever.

If anyone have any recs of albums that sound similar to this, with that atmosphere and all, would be much appreciated.

youtube.com/watch?v=3hOERnIuvbg

fucking yes my man. Air is one of my favorite groups of all time.

thoughts on carla bley?

really fantastic composer though ive never been really into her playing but i also havent checked it out like i have her compositions. i play a lot of her tunes. looks like a sexy nordic witch doctor. fucking love every note pual bley ever played in the 60s especially.

any cool stuff you guys have in your collections? magazines, records, anything?

jtg posts cool shit from old downbeat issues sometimes

How does it feel that the /U2/ general has more posters than you do?

How does it feel that this dead ass thread is known for having more quality discussions than the /U2/ general?

Fuck U2
bunch of faggots

youtube.com/watch?v=LujP4z7oYqU
youtube.com/watch?v=aeyI-S3RKk0
youtube.com/watch?v=aLEb0PPsWWg
youtube.com/watch?v=nqc0LrLq8IM
youtube.com/watch?v=awUsLrEb1EU
youtube.com/watch?v=zsE6ksls-3g
youtube.com/watch?v=pB95Teu_iOA

Recommended male jazz singers?
Preferably the ones who sing normally as well as sing gibberish.

don't listen to a lot of vocal jazz but pic related is pretty comfy. maybe leon thomas or even bobby mcferrin?

*takes off fedora* heh, here's a bump kid, make it count..

Louis Armstrong - Decca Years Volume 1 (the singer)
Charles Mingus - Oh Yeah
Chet Baker - Sings
Leon Thomas - Spirits Known and Unknown
Frank Sinatra - In the Wee Small Hours
Gregory Porter - Liquid Spirit
Louis Prima - The Wildest