I love this movie...

I love this movie. Just pure scifi no bullshit like "love is the one thing that transcends time and space" just a guy trying to survive on mars.

No this movie is shit. Guy is dying on Mars and can't go 5 minutes without quipping

>I'm a space pirate

I liked it. The comedy definitely made it better than i thought it was going to be.

autistic post, humour as a defence mechanism to not go fucking crazy/give into despair is a real thing and you'd know this if you didn't suffer from fucking aspergers you soulless faggot

>quip

Why is it that when Sup Forums learns a new word they have to use it every fucking sentence?
Do you guys even realize how sycophantic you are?

Upvoted

Didn't care for it, really.

Honestly, it never felt like there were any stakes whatsoever. At no point did I ever fear for Matt Damon's safety.

Compare that to Apollo 13, an incredibly tense movie that has you on the edge of your seat, despite KNOWING that they get home safely.

It was absolutely bland.

>pure scifi

mars doesn't have enough atmospheric air pressure for it be problem like in the movie, it was bullshit

Didn't see the movie but the book was utter bullshit. It was the ultimate unholy fusion of pop-science and young-adult fiction. It was like reading the blog of a Redditor with 500,000 comment karma with random science-textbook clippings pasted throughout.

Quite possibly the worst thing to happen to literature, let alone science-fiction. I'm a pretty big fan of Ridley Scott though so maybe something in the execution was able to make the movie decent. It can't have looked bad if nothing else. Even the book had a solid cover, not that that's worth anything.

Tried reading the book after watching the movie. The book is much, much worse, I ended up not finishing it. Damon manages to give Watney something of a character beyond Quiptron 9000, and it's a lot less bloated (a huge issue with the Martian novel is that it was way too long without ever doing anything new.)

It's worth a shot.

Yeah he scienced the shit out of it and then he flew around like Iron Man, fucking hella epic

If you mean the dust storm, then yes. That was something the writer openly said he knows couldn't happen but he needed it for plot reasons. Same with the radiant shielding magical material that prevent Matt Damon from just barfing and losing his hair and grossly dying for 2 hours.

If you're talking about something else though, then I'm confused.

The movie is better because it's shorter and has visual effects. Both are shit.

Not agreeing with the other guy, but you sound autistic and he sounds like the normie here...
Yes, I'm autistic.

This movie was so fucking bad.

It's one of the only movies i've watched where i stopped paying attention and did something else while it was still going

Explain, other than the storm itself, what exactly is pop-sci in the book? Or is that just a buzzword you spout ad verbaitum like
>muh quips
>muh reddit
>muh autism
?

>Reddit goes to Mars

>"SCIENCE RULES" written on a blackboard

Why did this movie have to have so many characters? Why couldn't someone just pick up a phone and say "the Chinese are willing to give us their rocket" rather than adding 2 extra bland characters to an already overcrowded cast?

>trendy black guy gets a EUREKA moment
>collegue asks him to explain
>"I need more coffee xD"

They needed to go redditer

>I'm going to science the shit out of this! xd

The book is waaaay better. Like he actually struggled to stay alive in it. Also that stupid ironman scene never happened.

>first successful mars movie is literally a reddit quipfest
>"pure scifi no bullshit" he says

i want off this planet

Kill yourself.

I dunno, NASA have pictures of some pretty bad looking dust storms from their orbiters.

>this shit got nominated for an oscar

Boring reddit tier movie

>let me just do this spacewalk untetherd.

Suspension of disbelief the movie

I hate this movie. Just pure scifi bullshit like "determination is the one thing that transcends time and space" just a guy trying to survive on mars.

exactly how I felt

i enjoyed the visuals/set design though

I like this movie because it's the first that actually depicts scientists realistically

> fuck you Neil Armstrong!

I turned it off at this point, this quipping cunt was just unbearable.

>2 hr movie about a guy growing potatoes on mars and cracking dad jokes
Meh

I'm happy for the author, the book seems interesting and especially the process they went through.
Movie was 'meh', expected a lot more.
as for science.. neil degrasse tyson / michio kaku level popularised crap.
I rather watch Star Trek.. at least it's entertaining.

I was really disappointed by this movie, and I'm pleb as fuck. It's just not a good film.

I had a lot of respect for Ridley Scott but the senile old goat just needs to die now. his output from the last 20 years has been terrible.

also Star Trek has some interesting concepts

you consider Gladiator terrible?

Don't forget the part where the astronauts get super emotional and make really dumb decisions because there's a small chance they can save the guy stuck on Mars, but a huge chance of killing themselves and fucking up the current missions fucking up the program. That triggered me so hard.

This. He just uses the science magic wand on all his problems until the movie ends.

Castaway is a far superior movie. Nearly an hour of environmental sound without score or dialogue. The viewer actually feels isolation.

They really scienced the shit out of that movie.

literally nothing happen : the movie.

The survivor premise sounded extreme and challenging yet what I got is a flat story with quips seasoning to lighten up an already light script. They tried to add some drama here and there but it didnt really last long enough to get me invested emotionally.

quip cuck spotted

confused Mathew?

really wish all his shit wasn't gone

I like how all the criticism of the martian boils down to "there wasn't overly dramatic music playing and he wasn't constantly crying and there was no forced melodrama so I didn't know what to feel so the movie sucked."

Does a more boring movie exist?

>Oh no something catastrophic happened!
>Lol good thing I just happen to know exactly how to fix it. Haha what a close call

No lasting tension whatsoever. Eventually I was just waiting for it to end.

I know if I'm entertained or not.
I know I would've enjoyed it more if they included everything that happens in the book.
I think the main problem is that the movie is all Matt Damon, alone.. with astronaut mentality.
So there's not even mental struggle to cope with oneself, which is what this kind of movie needs.
I understand that it's more realistic that an astronaut wouldn't crack like CastAwayGuy, but it's not entertaining especially when they carve out most of the problems that happens in the book.

When you go and see this movie you expect either:
Cast Away with Matt Damon, slowly going insane.
or MacGyver on Mars.
In the end, there's not enough of either of those.

>The Martian