Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9RexsrOfBEc
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synclavier
youtube.com/watch?v=w3jlwaUk1pQ
youtube.com/watch?v=4fWTc6_-90I
youtube.com/watch?v=4jhZN7xhTy8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

The Beatles

Pretty much the only answer to this query.

they could be the best band in the world and they'd still be overrated

Scaruffi gave him a 9.0 and six 8.0s like what the fuck.
Talented, but there is absolutely zero artistic worth.

Yeah he sure is overrated, fuck off to reddit pleb.

youtube.com/watch?v=9RexsrOfBEc

>Talented, but there is absolutely zero artistic worth.
Have one (You) on me.

There isn't.

It's juvenile.

Bob Dylan

>reddit pleb
Zappa is reddit you pleb fuck

Kendrick Lamar. Fuck, he isn't even a real musician. At least Frank Zappa could sing AND play the guitar like a champion.

Hip-hop and rap are nothing more than aggressive and yet monotone lyrics, set to simplistic beats and melodies. They take very little skill or hard work to create and are subsequently enjoyed by those with no appreciation of skill or hard work.

Also, hip-hop and rap tend to be something of a catalyst for violent acts committed by these unintelligent, uninspired, unskilled and lazy people (mostly men). Ironically, were one to resort to violence in an attempt to remove said-problem (I can think of a few who'd be first to go), this would negate the argument, entirely. So, the rest of us just put up with hip-hop, rap and their followers.

There are so many wondrous things we've learned we can do with our voices, in unison, with other hard-working people who've been practicing until their fingers bleed, and there are STILL those who listen to people talking over a generic melody and beat? Don't you KNOW this?

Those who "create" rap and hip-hop are an affront to civilization. They're the proverbial "slap to the face" to every man, woman and child who's pushed themselves beyond limits previously thought unimaginable, to achieve heights of success one could only dream of.

Those who willingly listen to rap and/or hip-hop, are the most dangerous of miscreants - examples of de-evolution. In essence, they're "regressing" back to their monkey state and, in my humble opinion, should be put down so as not to infest others with their disease. Ironic, really, since doing exactly that would be going against the argument in the second paragraph.

I genuinely hope humanity can recover from the plague that rap and hip-hop brought forth, but the more logical part of my brain knows it's truly a lost cause.

>tl;dr: rap and hip-hop are crap.

>le contrarian maymay

I bet you are a leftist and get mad at Zappa for his political views.

>mfw shallow hipster velvet underground listening plebs on Sup Forums can't even begin to comprehend the aesthetics of Zappa and his unprecedented fusion of both scathing ironicism and pure sincerity to all musical styles. The same people that hate Zappa are the pseudo-intellectuals who think they are above mixing blowjob jokes with extremely technical post-modern avant garde composition techniques. they think it's insulting to their "intelligence" or too silly for their taste, these people need to stop being such uptight pretentious faggots and start seeing the humor of life in general. In order to appreciate Zappa you need to get over yourself.

frank zappa is the ultimate pleb filter.

Springsteen. Who really likes this guy?

Beefheart

Zappa is proto-Sup Forums. Well, not todays Sup Forums, but Sup Forums when it was actually intelligent and not full of people born in the late 90s and early 2000's like you were.

>he's a right wing plebian zappa fan that thinks his music is offensive
>my music scares people RawrXD

I think its very easy to say Zappa is one of the best when neither you or he has any notion of the (sometimes extremely exaggerated) emotional response other rock critics and artists have to pop music.
It's a just joke bro carries a lot of weight academically because who the fuck is actually taking pop music seriously? But to point to Zappa and say he's one of the best because among everything else he doesn't take pop music seriously, while not necessarily wrong is so depressingly defeatist to me.
Why even bother commenting and listening to pop music if you think the best guy to dab his toes in it is great because he doesn't take it seriously and you think the fundamental ecstatic emotional response (pop's whole reason for being (besides capital)) to it is a joke?

I get it from a musical perspective, he was talented but I feel he's too often used as a short hand for that kind of critical thinking in pop criticism

>extremely technical post-modern avant garde composition techniques
post proof then you fucking pleb

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synclavier

It probably is very offensive to leftist kids like you hearing black people mocking on other blacks and calling them niggers.

youtube.com/watch?v=w3jlwaUk1pQ

That's not extremely avant garde. It's sampling

Post the example of his music that's avant garde

Did zappa EVER write a song under 5 minutes.

pleb

im a trump fag and i fucking hate zappa

the only people like him are white faggot hipsters

>avant garde
That isn't avant garde

how did he trick america into rating him so highly?

>"The reason more rock critics like Elvis Costello than us is that more rock critics look like Elvis Costello than us."

youtube.com/watch?v=4fWTc6_-90I

he has plenty of avant garde stuff in his catalog, its really not hard to find.

Not heard that one before t bh
Fair point

this, Zappa isn't overrated at all

Trick question, Zappa wasn't a musician

i think the most glowing thing i ever hear about zappa is "he never made a bad album" lol. he's become the artist of my late 20s, i love him.

truth bomb right here

Not many artists can make me laugh one minute and then intensely euphoric in the next like Zappa, he is definitely up there in my top 20 just for that

There's no artistic merit in being one of the first to ever make jazz fusion? There's no artistic merit in being the first composer to bridge rock, jazz, and classical? Pretty much every experimental rock band has Zappa to thank to some extent. He influenced almost all of the great experimental/progressive rock bands of the late 60s and 70s, and any band influenced by those bands therefore is influenced by Zappa indirectly. You don't know what you are talking about.

Arcade Fire

Absolute pleb opinions.

Not a musician but still the most overrated band of all time.

>That's not extremely avant garde. It's sampling

What a shit argument. Why sampling isn't avant-garde? Do you even know what avant-garde is?

>Kendrick Lamar
not going to deny this
>reeel musicians play reeel instruments
stopped reading there. kill yourself faggot

Been loving this zappa deep cut recently
youtube.com/watch?v=4jhZN7xhTy8

sounds like somebody has never actually tried to rap before

(spoiler, its hard)

Sounds like somebody is a nigger.

[spoiler]Bring the rope[/spoiler]

yo yo yo im a nigga yo yo yo lemme steal something nigga yo yo yo gimme some pussy and weed nigga yo yo yo

that wasn't so hard

Maybe their more recent stuff. Nothing overrated about Funeral.

I could argue by influence alone he's up there with the very best but either way he's still my all-time favourite

>if there's one thing plebs hate it is the beatles

The mixing is absolutely terrible. If it was mixed better then maybe I might have enjoyed it. But I just can't handle it. Songwriting is amazing though.

fucking this.

Imagine what it is like to be this retarded

rapping is easy once you've put in the time and learned it, many rappers themselves say it

>doesn't like to laugh or have fun

Sounds easier than improvising in any instrument to be honest.

>Putting time and effort in perfecting a craft makes it easier
Who would've guessed.

Curious, what in particular puts you off about the mixing?

10 phenomenal tracks in my opinion, it's a total classic.

Rap is an extremely popular contemporary form of poetic recitation. It bears no direct connection to actual music-making outside of a frequent reliance on the presence of a basic backing rhythm to help punctuate word delivery. Which is why rappers aren't actually musicians - they're spoken-word poets (whether you happen to like their form of poetry or not.).

This isn't to say that rappers can't ALSO be musicians. If they're in the habit of making THEIR OWN original musical content, and then incorporating that into their raps (hence upgrading them to rap SONGS) then they're musicians.

The rest of what you said is retarded racist bullshit.

writing good songs is def harder, for improvising you just need to know scales and licks, anybody can learn that. writing catchy songs is a talent

>talking-singing dichotomy

>rap
>poetic recitation
>poets
Stop this.

>for improvising you just need to know scales and licks, anybody can learn that
wew lad

Brian May
Freddie Mercury

The vocals are way too quiet and just not that good. Really puts me off.

The first 2 tracks are godly thought after that I just can't get into it. I would give the album like a 7 since the songwriting is the only saving grace for me. Maybe I should just give it more listens.

see
Rap in itself is not music. However, rapping can be incorporated into the creation of a song or musical album - thereby giving rise to the misnomer of rap music.

with enough practice that's true, that doesn't mean it's easy, but easier than writing a hit song since you can't just learn chord progressions and be a master songwriter

Funny because Eliot's poems are closer to rap than almost any other major poet. I'm sure he would hate rap but he would recognise rap as a continuation of the modernist style he worked in.

>with enough practice that's true
No it's not.
Improvising is not repeating scales and patterns, phrasing and solo structure are much more important and they're virtually the same as song-writing.

He was also substantially better than any rap.

RAP = Really? Alright, this is Poop.

Take away all the backing instrumentals from your typical rap concert and what are you left with? A guy (usually) spouting semi-structured poetic verse in front of a an audience. The only thing missing is people clicking their fingers in appreciation at the end of each verse.

It's just calling a spade a spade desu. I don't even like rap (nor any other sorts of spoken poetry recitals really.) However, that doesn't change what rap really is - an extremely contemporary form of poetic recitation.

Not saying it couldn't technically be classified as poetry. People tend to use the term to justify rap as a valid successor in the literary tradition, which is just pissing on it because rap almost inherently makes terrible poetic work.

((You)) are not very smart.

Bowie, David.

>make 60 minute opera about pee and poo
>become immortalized as a great musician

Zappa is pretty much at the bottom of the list

>mr serious doesn't get it

Krishna Epitaph

The clear winner.

Muh dadrock. Muh skilled muscians.

>caring about lyrics and narrative in music
Go read a book if you put such emphasis on words.

for somebody who was supposedly "ugly" zappa was rather good looking in his early days

Maybe you should listen to his other music rather than base your opinions on what some tells you about a handful of his albums.

overrated top 3

1- john lennon
2- elvis presley
3- frank sinatra

>Not saying it couldn't technically be classified as poetry.
Good, because it is - whether you/I happen to like it or not.

>rap almost inherently makes terrible poetic work
user, history is littered with the thankfully partial remnants of terrible poetry in questionable delivery styles. Rap is nothing special in that regard. Some amazing works, too many terrible works to count.

Pasta'd

Good music I guess, but Zappa needed to shut his fucking trap though during interviews. He was just another star with who felt obligated enough to push his agenda. Hes was just full hot air.

Oh no, he had opinions and expressed them! How dare he?

Thanks for sharing!

>Getting this mad over a pasta

>He was just another star with who felt obligated enough to push his agenda.

That agenda being that he should be free to do his fucking job.

Memeetttttttttttttttt

i actually got into him through is interviews. i think he was a fascinating guy with a lot of interesting things to say. he was a great talker

>people will say this is overrated
>but flying lotuis is not

ffs, I can see the "overrated" part somewhat, but for autismos to claim he has no talent is laughable.

Literally any rapper or dj.