/daily/ music discussion thread: Pleasure for AOTY edition

The point of these threads is to encourage people to look for new and interesting music. We do this by listening to and ideally discussing albums we've never heard before. Many of us already listen to new music daily, these people are in it to venture "out of their comfort zone" by listening to albums they otherwise wouldn't have, or just to have a good time.

>make charts
neverendingchartrendering.org/

>listen to tunes
plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel

>/listenalong schedules
daily-mu.blogspot.com/p/welcome.html

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/ogCih4OavoY
youtube.com/watch?v=5w3cYtJekpw
rateyourmusic.com/release/comp/raymond-scott/the-music-of-raymond-scott-reckless-nights-and-turkish-twilights/
mega.nz/#!1gpjQYyY!pwwjOXHm1UYXGmVxhNEVgelehnmYG8JI3VEBpYRoxmo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>not poorly editing daily memes into the album cover

:/

bepis

Big Ole

Woolite these kill me every time, keep it up

youtu.be/ogCih4OavoY
I CAN'T GET ENOUGH OF THIS SONG WHY IS MOST SHOEGAZE SHITTY

ha ha slowdiiv amirite

We dem boyz

music.

most of things are shitty

also whats special about the song, sounds much like typical modern bore tier shoegaze tho admittedly idk much about recent shoegaze so maybe its worse off than I imagine

get out with this filth i dont wanna see it here

ok kid
contrarianism is cowardice

The War on Drugs - Thinking of a Place (single)

I never really liked the War on Drugs in particular, and I'm not sure why. I guess it never really came together sonically for me.

Anyways, this 11 minute song is really wonderful. It's nostalgic and dreamy but interesting and moves with a particularly good balance of vigor and steadiness.

literally name a better game than undertale

Chrono Trigger
N++
Street Fighter II

Amnesia: the dark descent

that one is close though

pachisi

lol okay

y'all like mac nuggets that's good eatin

is this a meme (i think so)

is this a meme (i hope so)

That will be my newest addition, thank you. My next student will certainly appreciate the extra lesson

Lol thanks. If anons keep randomly asking about /daily/, I'll keep it up

ive been having chest pain all week and its getting worse

recc me music to celebrate this

The Dark Descent is a legit great game with a deep and thought provoking narrative that just happens to have attracted a lot of shitty youtubers that scream at it.

Undertale is a touching and boundary pushing experience if you can get through all the cringe humorous bits and the repetitive gameplay

i love when fake hampus posts about the delicious taste of Chicken McNuggets

The only good video game is metroid fusion

anyone notice how today's sharethread is unusually quality?

i don't leave /daily/ anymore

Yeah undermeme gets boring but so does Amnesia (even accounting for never before having played hiding simulators when first playing it), both games suffer a lot gameplay wise. It gets saved by its other qualities, I wouldn't really call the story deep however, its not completely cringe inducing which is a big plus compared to similar games but nothing to dwell on.

>not zero mission
>not super metroid
not that fusion is bad but cmon, also play am2r if you havent yet

have now thanks mite grab something

hampus "mac nugget" posting is the best thing to happen to these threads in years

avataring as Isaac Hayes sounds hilarious please do that

same

2nd to you not knowing what penetration looks like

youtube.com/watch?v=5w3cYtJekpw

>hampus "mac nugget" posting is the best thing to happen to these threads in years
im just hoping it doesnt get ruined like cumblogs or complaining about fishmans or i'm fish

okay if the cover of slow deep and hard is so obviously penetration then I dare you to jack it to it nerd

cumblogs is still funny

dont discuss memes if you want them to be funny

>cover is penetration

What, how?

hoo boy

hey cut them some slack theyre in Sup Forums for a reason

Pls tell me so I can masturbate

factually doesn't look like it tho, at least not really
they must've done more editing than just blurring it

@blapp

rateyourmusic.com/release/comp/raymond-scott/the-music-of-raymond-scott-reckless-nights-and-turkish-twilights/

ye the song is quite aitt
it has that thing that mood that makes it at least slightly memorable. good moves releasing it before summer too it rides that atmosphere well

Anyone wanna Personally Murder Me for enjoying ImSippinTeaInYoHood

on it

Bitch I've jacked off to titty shaped ceiling lights in times of desperation that won't be a challenge

If we're talking about the original cover, sure, It's hard to tell. The unedited version that was posted in the other thread though? You need to get your eyes checked if you can't tell what that is

x is ok senpai

didn't realize there was a new thread, so reposting this.
current listen-along info here

holy shit is zane going to overtake stick for most-hated listenalong?

oh wew, yeah didnt see that one

Before going into this self-titled album by a band literally called Anarchy, I expected one of two things: noisy, politically-charged anarcho-punk... or generic punk rock. After listening to the record, I unfortunately found out that it was the latter. Like The Blue Hearts, you can tell that the dudes here clearly loved punk western rock 'n roll (hell, there's even a Johnny B. Goode cover on here) and were having a great time recording this, but it's just so standard and run-of-the-mill that I'd probably be hard-pressed to remember anything from this two days from now. It's certainly not inept, but it's just pretty standard.

If anybody has a download link to the Last Live album by Carol I'd appreaciate it, because the only thing I can find is a YouTube video of the concert itself.

Link plz

Hey, I thought it was good. Though admittedly the style is the kinda style that would normally get a 2.5 or 2 from me.

lol newfag you havent seen a truly hated listenalong

ask about batfinks and snuff jazz

hopefully not, I want to be remembered for something at least

ive heard about snuff jazz
i was more referring to the new wave of listenalongs

Quest for the Crown

only fkin waterboarded in sweet&sour

The thread is still up, check the one before the previous thread

Bouta drop the LOAD

>Jacques Brel - À l'Olympia
It’s fucking great. The energy, the songwriting, the performance, the recording, the slight variations…it’s all here. Probably my favorite from the whole Brel catalogue, and I’m super excited to try out the rest of this guy’s catalogue. Would highly rec this, but listen to some of his studio stuff first.

>Republika - 1984
Okay when tf is this band supposed to start getting bad? Out of everything I’ve heard by them so far pretty much nothing is less than great. The melodies aren’t anything special, but super active, creative, and satisfying. If you have any interest in post-punk/coldwave and want something a bit more hyper, I would highly rec these guys.

>Hermeto Pascoal - Zabumbê-bum-á
For something tagged as “Avant-Garde” it surprisingly accessible. Perhaps the fusion elements subdue this a bit and make it slightly more easy on the ears, but I really thought this was wonderful. The A-side has a lot of interesting latin-influenced jazz pieces which really play with expectations and progress in interesting fashions. The more traditional stuff on side-B was great, albeit a bit less exciting. Highly rec.

>La Vida Bohème - Nuestra
CRIMINALLY overlooked. The only songs on this I really didn’t like were the s/t track and “Calle Barcelona”. Comparing this to Indie Rock and Post-Punk Revival is a great disservice, as it sounds nothing like any of the bands it shares those titles with. In fact, I’d wager that most people would draw parallels to LCD Soundsystem’s first two albums, especially in tracks like “Radio Captial” and “Huxley”. Nothing that will throw you for a loop, but consistent and fun as shit.

1/5 (lol)

>戸川純 & ヤプーズ - 裏玉姫
Jun Togawa’s Tamahime-Sama is considered an unsung classic to some, but I could never get into it. However, when her music is fused with Yapoos’ synth work here, her music starts to make much more sense. Still, I’m not really sold on here vocal style and this VERY 80s sound as a whole, but this live album could definitely be something I could see someone else digging the shit out of.

>Thinking Fellers Union Local 282 - Admonishing the Bishops
I admire two of this band’s outputs a LOT, and everything else is just okay to me. This EP between Mother of All Saints and Strangers From the Universe certainly doesn’t bridge the insane gap towards the two, but proves how great TFUL282 were in their prime, even if this does feel like a slightly watered-down version of the later album. Two great songs (1 and 2) and two alright songs (2 and 4).

>Ornette Coleman - Change of the Century
You can’t hate on this for sure, but I find it a bit hard to love when comparing it with his other works. It’s, obviously, it’s certainly out there for 1960, but it’s no “Free Jazz”. The note-choice is unique and songwriting is great, but it’s no “The Shape of Jazz to Come”. It’s forward thinking and satisfying, but it’s no “Science Fiction”. It’s great, but can’t possibly hold its own when so much of his other stuff blows it out of the water. I have so much love for Mr. Coleman, but this one slightly disappointed me.

>Klaus Mitffoch – s/t
I really want to go on and on about how much I dug this, but listening again I’m just realizing how little of this was /incredible/ and how much was /eh/. There’s some really great, danceable, catchy post-punk cuts from this, but way too much filler crap. Worth a listen just for the good parts.

2/5

>阿部薫 - 木曜日の夜
Considering how much I didn’t like “Winter 1972” I expected a really shitty time. However, the playing here is much more diverse and adventurous. Abe really explores a wide range of timbres with his sax, and this is probably as good as an album that’s literally just 50 minutes of sax solos could possibly be. Track two is super incredible, and feels nowhere near 17 minutes long. The third track was about twice as long as it needed to be but not as it boring as it should’ve been.

>Maanam – s/t
I really dig the consistant energy, but a lot of these songs are super one-dimensional and don’t really do much for me. This probably has to do with a lot of the very obvious New Wave influence on here, which almost never gets me going. There were no tracks I hated or anything (save maybe track four), just really nothing that stuck out to me.

>World's End Girlfriend - Hurtbreak Wonderland
Just like his collaboration with MONO, surprisingly good for a modern post-rock release, albeit a bit less forward-thinking. I certainly like this guy’s style of song progression and, in general, structure of his albums, but there were so many super shitty elements of this. Every “glitch” moment on here, whether it be wonky song manipulation or fast breakbeat-esque 808s didn’t bode very well here. (Prepares for hampus to be condescending about not acknowledging surface-level music theory concepts in this album.)

>かえる目 - 拝借
Was expecting much more instrumentation with the “chamber” folk label on there, but what I got instead was surprisingly more minimal. I enjoyed the fusion of guitar and violin, but as the album went on, it became surprisingly more poppy and my interest faded. Peaceful, but uninteresting.

3/5

>町田康 - どてらいやつら
The sound collage bits were pretty interesting, and imo this is probably as good as a synth punk album could possibly be to me. Much less “wild and crazy” than advertised, but a unique experience nonetheless. Would highly rec if this genre is your gig, because lord knows it’s not mine.

>The Gerogerigegege - 愛人
Like a lot of Gero output, it’s a funny, slightly interesting concept, but nothing that I would really seek out or highly rec anyone. The song is catchy, even with the layers of noise, but not much more than concept.

> Gospel - The Moon Is a Dead World
Ya know, it’s not the screamo/post-hardcore parts that make this album shitty. In fact, I think this album’s energy is its most redeeming factor that carries it for so long. What sucks shit are the djent-esque “progressive” moments and changeups that completely ruin the energy and flow of any given track. “Golden Dawn” is a unique exception to this rule, and probably the only song on here I enjoyed every second of. Every other track is shitty or has some really shitty section. Didn’t hate, but

>チャクラ - さてこそ
Lol that fucking myunmyunmyun track. This singing style might be easier on me if the music was actually as all over the place as the vocalist pretends it is. かなしばり is a fantastic example of an album that does this style much better. Idk it’s not terrible it’s just not for me at all.

>Ensemble Pittoresque - For This Is Past
I’ve come to love a lot of the Minimal Wave genre as of recent (Space Museum being one of my new favorite discoveries) but you might want to put a cap on what “minimal” means when you’re creating this kind of music. I enjoyed some of it, but the music just sounds bored with itself, and the singer just wants to take a nap. The fastro review for this had me laughing for a good minute.

4/6 (lol oops)

>Two great songs (1 and 2) and two alright songs (2 and 4).
:thinking:

>Fabrizio De André - Non al denaro non all'amore né al cielo
I always hold that lyricism is an overrated musical concept, but when it comes to singer/songwriter music, the way lyrics usually intertwine with the music at hand I usually find an important element. Not speaking a word of Italian here I think really hindered my enjoyment of this album. Not to mention, the songwriting is /good/ but nothing I’d really write home about, or to ignore the heavy lyricism that I can’t hope to understand. Not a bad album for sure, but I could never see myself enjoying much of this.

>Man Man - Six Demon Bag
Man Man gets mad props from me for their really great instrument playing. However, the Bungle-esque songwriting totally isn’t for me. I was always in a state in between fascinated and disgusted. Just enough to keep me reeled in, but not enough to really ever be enjoying myself.

>Nails - You Will Never Be One of Us
As much as I love Unsilent Death, this just felt lazy. The eight-minute track is largely overstayed, and almost nothing is as memorable as their debut. About the same amount of energy with about an eighth of the staying power.

>Envy - A Dead Sinking Story
I was READY do have my COCK AND BALLS blown away after that first track. Seriously “Chain Wandering Deeply” is so fantastic and if you vibe with screamo/post-hardcore at all you need to check it out. The rest trades off between mindless filler and empty nothingness. Don’t listen to the rest of this album. It’s bad.

5/6 (we're so close I'm so sorry)

> Ought - More Than Any Other Day
I feel really bad distributing such a low score to this album. It’s for sure not bad, in fact, there’s probably not a single bad moment on this album. However, there isn’t a single good song either. It’s so vanilla, safe, and barely passible that it really leaves a shitty taste in my mouth. Doesn’t do post-punk as “revivalist” as offensively as others, but it sure dabbles in indie tendencies that don’t please me at all. Not offensively bad, just offensively plain.

>The Dresden Dolls
It’s bad. I don’t like the singer’s vocal inflections (or voice in general) and I think the fusion of “””punk””” attitudes and Dark Cabaret don’t work at all. Can we fucking knock it off with Dark Cabaret? Only like two people have ever done it right ever. No.

Wrappin' it up next time.

I meant 1 and 3 whoops

>not a single good song on more than any other day
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

where is Zane?

this is for him

mega.nz/#!1gpjQYyY!pwwjOXHm1UYXGmVxhNEVgelehnmYG8JI3VEBpYRoxmo

new Oxbow

yep

hoping the listenalongs progressively get worse tbqh

Snoof Jozz will forever be the legendary listenalong pan desu

uuuuuh shiggy diggy

is this a weekly recap or how long did it take you to listen

>It’s bad.
>
>
>

What should I hear first off this?

yeah I just haven't done any reviews in like a week but kept listening to stuff so it built up

yep

thrash metal but it's angry and the quality is crappy and it's boring and thank god not too long

new Oxbow

What does the Holy Roman Empire have to do with this?

Sun Coming Down is better and a little more unique but I legitimately think Ought is one of the best revivals because at least they have a unique voice and don't seem to be retreading old ground

>What does the Holy Roman Empire have to do with this?
>
>
>

RADIATOR

!!!

>I legitimately think Ought is one of the best revivals because at least they have a unique voice and don't seem to be retreading old ground
It's not exactly stiff competition but I'd agree

okay boys ;)

All the stuff I rec'd
and after that a few but not much more because the rest is mostly bad
I just don't see the relation.

sicc job
how can u say Weather Song and Habit aren't good songs tho :{}

Lol true

like this
"Weather Song and Habit aren't good songs tho :{}"

there is none

I still can't believe Big Boots is coming out in a month. What a fucking time to be alive.

wow
sharp...

why the HRE meme then

I was making a triple implication that it is bad by using three memearrows.

thank u pal
need recs from letov and jangle
ought sounds like the fall to me desu

no memes then?
baka
at least we have new Oxbow

new Oxbow

I think the vocal style takes inspiration from the fall for sure but beyond that I'm not sure. Granted I listened to Ought way more than the Fall

The 6 hour memebient album

new Oxbow?

Listened to 5 mins of listenalong. Might be my first no-show boys

guys
i fit the image perfectly onto the square

>implying actually listening to the listenalong is a requirement for reviewing it
literally just say "I didn't finish it. It was bad."

>Cerebrotonia by Eye Candy
This is a very pleasant debut

Wouldn't be honorable. Ok, I'll listen to it

lol

Get Up With It

lol