Atlantis: The Lost Empire

>critically panned
>bombed hard at the box office

Was it really that bad?

Critics are critics but I was actually surprised audiences also hated it.

What went wrong?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7tx783Z5gso
youtube.com/watch?v=_w1upGFwyyU&ab_channel=LordNickinburg
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>marketed as a kids movie
>dark as fuck

They should've marketed it more towards teens.

I wonder if this,Treasure Planet and Iron Giant were made in response to the popularity of anime at the time. Didn't seem to pan out too well.

I was skimming through the Wikipedia article for Iron Giant and found this:
>Lorenzo di Bonaventura, president of Warner Bros. at the time, explained, "People always say to me, 'Why don't you make smarter family movies?' The lesson is, Every time you do, you get slaughtered."

Did this movie even have songs?

This is a disney movie right?

teens are kids.

The anime version was great.

I used to love this movie as a kid

I still kinda like it

No it did not have songs.

Yes it is Disney.

>What went wrong?
2grim2dark

>a six year old has the same interests as a 16 year old

Don't look at me I fucking loved it, that submarine was awesome and Vinny was best character.

I was the biggest fanboy for this movie
>That submarine
>That leviathan
>That ancient mystery

Well then there you go.
No good songs, no good movie.

>forgetting the digger

They do. Same as 26 and 36 year olds. This is why capeshit is winning, because people aren't growing up anymore

it had songs, but the main characters did not sing any

i thought atlantis was a great movie, better then a lot of the other shit Disney released in the years before or after

No songs?

There was a princess at least right? Or strong woman?

It's just random directionless scenes one after the other.

Princess browntits, she turns into a crystal not long after being introduced and the mercs steal her.

Only thing I cared about was the cg leviathan and whether or not it was being piloted or not. Film never answered it.

All the characters were great in their own way. The animation was great, the story was an interesting take on an old myth instead of just respinning yet another 16th century children's story with music. The sequel/attempted animated series kickstart was shit, though.

Should just watch Nadia instead to be honest.

The crew was awesome and everyone in Atlantis was dumb as fuck.

The romance was dumb.

The plot was dumb.

Better than Stargate, worse than Avatar.

>What went wrong?

It tried to do something different but it didn't commit to it enough.

The beginning of the movie is great, then when they actually get to Atlantis it turns into typical Disney drivel.

>introduce the most kickass submarine ever
>have it destroyed within half an hour

Given that no one in Atlantis can read their own language it's probably just a robot.

First half is one of the GOAT animated movies, its just so incredible the build up and all the banter with the crew

Second half is pretty shitty with the cliche Disney plot

i liked the battle near the end

>thread is about a 15 year old animated movie
>he complains about capeshit anyway

What episode is this goku from? I never seen him mad at chi chi, I gotta watch.

Atlantis should have been abandoned/inhabited with murder-robots. Have Rourke try to take a few back to the surface and Milo convince the others its a bad fucking idea to take semi sentinent murderbots back to civilization.

why did her lion have huge nuts anyway

It's my favorite Disney film.

this
swimming scene was the only good part of the second half

saw this as an adult it's good

I wanted to buttfuck the little latina mechanic

Original storyboards show the submarine surviving, which would make sense because how the hell did they get all that shit onto one mini-sub?

Naah the fish battle at the end was pretty sweet. And call me sentimental but I liked the epilogue with Whitmore being given the crystal.

>dedicates himself to helping his friend/probable buttbuddy find Atlantis
>pulls said buttbuddy's grandson out of the gutter to give him the opportunity of a lifetime
>gets betrayed
>all of his billions down the drain because Rourke got stupid

Preston got shafted hard

>Second half is pretty shitty with the cliche Disney plot

True.
But the girl becomes zombified for the majority of part two tho.
And that shit was fucking creepy.

The OST for that, youtube.com/watch?v=7tx783Z5gso
also GOAT

Seen Castle in the Sky?

I cant think of one single instance in reality or fiction where a guy named Rourke wasnt a piece of shit

No, he didn't

They brought back lots of wealth from atlantis when they came back. Remember the ending scene? They were rehearsing for the media.

Atlantis was great. Good cast of characters, dark, no shitty songs and the sexiest Disney princess ever.

Oh right where they're loading up the fish transport with all the gold and Vinny says they have enough.

Its been way too long since I saw this movie.

That screaming crystal monster in that airship scared the fuck out of me when I was a kid. Its been 15 years and I'm still creeped out by that fucker.

They kept all the treasure themselves and pretended they never found anything. They just gave the guy a crystal to prove that his friend was right about Atlantis being real and that was enough.

>Was it really that bad?

Yeah, pretty much. If it was a Don Bluth or Dreamworks movie (and, consequentially, probably aimed at an older demographic) then it would likely be remembered more charitably but as a Disney movie it was pretty pathetic.

Anyone think the movie should have been set in the 30s? Keep Rourke as villain mercenaries, but introduce a separate team of Nazi occultists who want the crystal, like Nazis want the Ark in raiders.

where they're at his mansion and they're all dressed very nicely and the hillbilly has a diamond tooth

Whitmore is going through photos of Atlantis and the battle and is given a crystal from Milo

Japan

>Atlantis: The Lost Empire
fpbp, it failed for the same reason that The Black Cauldron failed, critics and audiences don't want borderline PG-13 Disney movies

These guys were my favorite part of the movie when I was a kid.

You'd think Mill might be suspicious about half their team (or more) openly being mercenaries whose only job was to be soldiers, though. Like why would they need that many soldiers for an archeological expedition? Keep in mind that Milo didn't believe the Leviathan if other threats were real.

I wanted to do terrible things to Helga

I should watch it again. When I was kid I found the Leviathan, the Atlantis mythology and the spirit of olden time exploration dope as fuck. I don't remember much about the second half.

I also remember watching some Jules Verne cartoons, which had similar feel to it. Comfy as shit.

The Leviathan scene was so cool

youtube.com/watch?v=_w1upGFwyyU&ab_channel=LordNickinburg

I don't understand how anyone could hate this movie

I want Helga to do terrible things to me

This sounds a lot more interesting than other Disney music I've heard, although I wouldn't call it exceptional. Maybe it should have made more use of the vocals and those chime-like sounds at 1:10, but then it just goes back to being pretty ordinary orchestral soundtrack music.

>coolest setting of a Disney cartoon
>coolest tech of a Disney Cartoon
>Best characters of a Disney Cartoon
>Best action of a Disney cartoon

The only problem with the whole movie was that the second half was TOO Disney and generic.

And fucking Packard was great, too.

Movie also made me a fanboy for Ulysses S Grant. What a fucking based person

>post yfw Milo is just Daniel Jackson if he found Atlantis before the SGC was founded

Ulysses S Grant? Wasnt that a civil war army general?

watched it again recently

it's good but they don't spend enough time in atlantis

I GOT YOUR 4 BASIC FOOD GROUPS
BEANS BACON WHISKEY AND LARD

And later a president

empress at the end though.
there was supposed to be a serie, but it got scrapped and turned into a half assed movie

Oh,sorry, im not american, so the few things I know are from studying things like the civil war

I didnt know he made an appearance on atlantis, thats pretty cool

It was a pretty brutal movie. There was a lot implied death that you don't find in a PG movie.

>hallways flooding
>three guys running for the door
>Audrey closes it and it closes before the third guy runs through.

I would have watched that series.

>I didnt know he made an appearance on atlantis, thats pretty cool

top kek

>looking up the original to watch it
>find out there is a sequel
I mean i have to watch both right?

>>coolest setting of a Disney cartoon
>>coolest tech of a Disney Cartoon
>>Best action of a Disney cartoon
That's my point. It was basically a "how-close-can-we-get-to-PG-13" animated Jules Verne-esque action movie and consequentially was pretty fucking lousy as a Disney movie. I'm not saying that it was a bad film, period, but just that if I was a critic weaned my whole damn childhood on movies like 101 Dalmatians, Robin Hood, The Aristocrats and The Jungle Book and was therefore expecting Atlantis - as a Disney movie - to continue in that same vein that the vast majority of prior films has encompassed I would be quite disappointed in it. And it's painfully obvious that. The film was hamstrung by the Disney name attached to it ("whoops, can't show that in a Christian manga ;^)") and money men everywhere being leery of PG-13 animated features.

>The only problem with the whole movie was that the second half was TOO Disney and generic.
I'll disagree that it was the only problem but agree that the second half was much worse than the first.

no

they planned a tv series after the movie was supposed to be successful, but since it didn't, they just kind of blended it together into a movie.

the sequel is a mess of a movie, it was supposed to be a serie (like alladin for example) but because the movie flopped the serie idea got scrapped and instead they put together random parts and made a movie of it direct to dvd

>KKK

>What went wrong?

It was shit.

Wow, holy shit, niggas fuckin died on screen. I can definitely see how it flirted with the PG-13 boundary and thus was not accepted by general family audiences.

>first 2 mins
>You fool you've destroyed us all
>mum floats away
>shields start forming
>fucking fish plans crash into them as they were to slow
>people banging on shield as waves approach

neat.

>yfw only 8 out of the 200 survived.

kida = best Disney princess/empress
3000 years old, warrior, good looking, knows many languages etc

Submarine was named after him

>tfw

I haven't seen Nadia. How similar is Atlantis to it plotwise?

>You fool you've destroyed us all
What did he mean by this?