I have a question for Americans that I would appreciate their help with:

I have a question for Americans that I would appreciate their help with:

How well known is Cambridge University in America? Would the average man on the street have heard of it? What's its reputation?

Cheers

I know of Cambridge and Oxford as your elite schools, they are also the only ones I know of.
That help?

in NYC or Boston I'd say there's a 50-75% chance they know that it's a very prestigious school, not sure about the rest of the US

I honestly didn't mean it as bait, it was a genuine question that will help me out.

Thanks

How's its reputation compared with Oxford's?

I know it's name and that it's supposedly one of those top tier universities but that's about it. Don't know it's specialty. Also know they hate Oxford with a passion.

American here. I visited Cambridge's campus when i was vacationing in England.

Oxford is more well known, and probably the first one people would think of. So I would assume people would think of that one as better.

Depends on who you ask, Southerners and Blacks don't know anything outside of their immediate view.

Does Cambridge still have the 'wow' factor, or is that exclusively reserved for Oxford?

Depends on who you ask, but Cambridge, and King's College all get fame from the rush towards DNA (from Watson & Crick and Wilkins & Franklin).

I think this is pretty accurate, also, depending on where you go in America and the education level of the people you talk to, you'll find more or less people familiar with those schools.

As well Mexicans don't know what education is and liberal/millenials typically don't care about non-American schools

The average man on the street in America hasn't heard of anything outside of the USA.

>Does Cambridge still have the 'wow' factor,
I would say so, they are like our Harvard and Yale.

I think Oxford has more of a 'wow' factor but that's because Oxford is typically more well known in America

>t. 17 year old UCAS applicant

Hope you enjoy Girton, pleb :^)

Yeah, I'd assume a certain level of high intelligence from someone who went to either school. I'd also assume a high amount of snobbishness as well.

Over here Harvard is, I'd say, fairly well known among average people, with Yale only slightly less so.

However, I've never heard someone use the term 'Harvard and Yale' to swathingly refer to America's elite universities like 'Oxford and Cambridge' (or 'Oxbrigde') is used over here.

In America, are 'Oxford and Cambridge' usually referred to in the same breath in this way, or are they talked about more as separate entities with Cambridge being a mere afterthought?

Oxford and Cambridge are both well know and highly respected. I think most people view them as the British equivalent to Harvard and Yale.

>However, I've never heard someone use the term 'Harvard and Yale' to swathingly refer to America's elite universities like 'Oxford and Cambridge' (or 'Oxbrigde') is used over here
Its probably because we have so many Universities and many of them are top-notch. For example: Carnegie Mellon University isn't nearly as well known and universally respected as Harvard, but their computer science and engineering departments are consistently ranked in the top 5 in the world.

Maybe I should have said Harvard OR Yale.
People with more knowledge of them would have more of an opinion, and more educated people would probably know their specialties. I'm just an electrician, so I don't know anything about their best fields of study.

Well that's closed minded as fuck.

From Lafayette Louisiana, and everyone that I know and am friends with know of both Oxford and Cambridge

This is interesting, I had thought it was Trinity College that had the biggest international reputation.

Kid you don't know shit. Just because Trinity has the highest number of firsts year on year and the highest endowment doesn't give it international recognition for common people. If that were the case, Pembroke would be famous for anything other than having a lot of depraved sluts with harry potter tattoos.

Kings is the fucking international magnet, you ask anyone in admissions there and they'll flat out tell you they take a disproportionate amount of international students - its all about who's got the biggest chapel and the greatest number of photos of freshers holding feminist meme signs outside the college.

Bump for interest

>Just because Trinity has the highest number of firsts year on year and the highest endowment doesn't give it international recognition for common people.

The only reason why I thought Trinity was more famous internationally than King's was because I hear more Americans referencing 'Trinity College Cambridge' and citing its supposed academic excellence than King's.

Not starting an argument about it, this is just my observations.

From southern Mississippi, have a 35 on the ACT, know about Cambridge and Oxford.

Where did you end up going to college?

you applying there mate?

i considered doing so but ended up applying to oxford. i've got an offer; will start in october so long as i don't fuck up exams

this

I think of Oxford as on par with the lesser Ivy-league schools (a step down from Harvard, Yale and Princeton) and Cambridge/LSE as on par with really good state schools in the US or Middlebury/Williams.

Already applied and got an offer, would have preferred Oxford but my GCSEs would have eliminated the possibility of even getting an interview. This thread is basically to sooth my feelings of inferiority, I hear Oxford mentioned everywhere but very seldom Cambridge.

Probably won't even meet the grades anyway, I'm doing fuckall work lately

congrats.

Personally, I think Cambridge is a far nicer place (so it's got that going for it) but I chose Oxford for the acclaim and course I'm doing. I do think, though, that the different between Oxford and Cambridge in terms of their fame is slim - they're both top places and you'd be respected anywhere for having said you'd been there, especially with a law degree my god.

>probably won't even meet the grades anyway, I'm doing fuckall work lately

if it helps, I'm the same. Since I got the Oxford offer I've been dossing because it seems to have appeased my narcissism.

Which college offered you the place?

> I do think, though, that the different between Oxford and Cambridge in terms of their fame is slim
I think that's truest in the UK, but 90% of the people I talk to are Americans who have it ingrained in them (probably from the Rhodes Scholarship and The Great Gatsby) that Oxford is superior to Cambridge. Kinda dilutes the feeling of accomplishment.

>especially with a law degree my god
With law you'd have to go to Oxford to do the Bachelor of Civil Law (master's degree) to get into the top echelons of the legal industry anyway (commercial bar). I'm thinking I could do that so I could say I went to both.

If only I didn't base my self-worth off of external factors instead, eh?

The average American will have some vague idea that they are prestigious schools in a foreign country, but it won't be hard to find people who've never heard of them, or think, I don't know, maybe that it's something out of Harry Potter, or "what the British White House is called". You will also find people that know a lot about them, but if you ask these kinds of questions of Americans, you may encounter more hostility than you expect, a lot of American people are aggressively ignorant and anti intellectual, and may believe you are mocking them by bringing up educational institutions in conversation, especially foreign ones. Lots of us are perfectly lovely though.

So you're that guy from Mississippi that can read ?

Pringlehouse

hmmmm... you're going to love the smell of musk my dude.

I'm at Caius (the best food in Cam)

It's fine, I'm a lustful conservative bisexual so I'll fit right in :D

And you are clearly a degenerate like me for browsing Sup Forums

SHE GIVE GOOD BRAIN LIKE SHE STUDIED AT CAMBRIDGE.

Weird that there are so many Oxbridge students on Sup Forums... Hmm...