Instead of a patrician breaking down TMR
m.youtube.com/watch?v=-FhhB9teHqU

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/Od0_LRNlE5A
youtu.be/0WhXtkMyPHU
youtube.com/watch?v=NMQbbtJW-YQ
youtube.com/watch?v=zPuzQcE-48k
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Blink blink blink blink blink blink blink blink blink blink blink blink blink blink blink blink blink blink blink blink blink blink blink blink blink blink blink blink blink blink blink blink blink blink blink blink

Well more people are plebs than patricians.

This. So much this.

Wow looks very interesting. Thanks for this.

oh damn the second guy has tons of analyses for 20th century classical, thanks dude

Holy shit.

The second guy hits the nail on the head. Emotional descriptors of reviewer's listening experiences means fuck all. Which is exactly what Fantano is doing in his work.

the second guy interviewed John French (the drummer) it is pretty interesting
youtu.be/Od0_LRNlE5A

Hey, this is great.

Does anyone know of other analytical videos like this on pop music? Something like Songexploder (which is a podcast but w/e).

Fantano's review of TMR is literal trash. I turned it off after he said "meme music"

At least Fantano is funny and interesting.

You can't be serious.

Not to mention that he also went as far as to transcribe that monstrosity of a song. You just don't expect or see that level of competence on YouTube, especially for music reviewers. But then again, he's in the minority, because he's well educated and he's attended a music conservatory.

For 12-16 year olds, sure, which would presumably be the majority of his audience.

>Doesn't matter if the review itself is bad, as long as it's funny and interesting

What's the point? Fantano's reviews aren't even interesting, Samuel's actual analysis is interesting since he has interviewed a member of The Magic Band and is a composer.

You might as well just watch a comedy special.

Melonfuck BTFO. He's not even a legit reviewer and his garbage videos belong on something like Sup Forums

Here's another music analysis channel well worth watching - Walk That Bass.
youtu.be/0WhXtkMyPHU
A solid explanation of the main concepts of free jazz and atonality with demonstration.

>funny and interesting

What's baffling, aside from a 30 year old man talking about "meme music", is his assertion that the instrumentation isn't interconnected and coherent, meaning that the musicians aren't capable of keeping time. And that's coming from a bass player...

>tons of analyses
>only 35 videos

well, the videos are pretty long

Is this prove that music is objective?

>only 35 videos
He transcribed something off of Trout Mask Replica for crying out loud! How could you possibly be unsatisfied? Not to mention the other in-depth videos and analyses.

it's more than your channel

It yes I does.

but he uses less memes than fantano

but my channel has 300 videos of me eating cereal

Yeah, some people are like that.

Put a new vinyl in the background of each video and i'd watch it

This "analysis" is fucking bullshit. Literally anybody can notice the things he's noticing.

link?

Fantano please, you're still more popular

do it for another track, then

But they didn't, did they?

anyone can do it, yes, but not everyone is willing
post your analysis video please

Anybody can do literally anything. But they don't. So fuck you, baiting cunt.

anyone can do anything, user. I want to see you make a video that's anywhere near the quality of his analysis

I don't need somebody to tell me how the guitar tone sounds or what the lyrics are because I can just fucking LISTEN TO THE SONG and hear it myself.

This.

Holy shit we live in the same neighbor hood.

Damn...really makes you think.

Get fucked Fantango

you are right, but the benefit of seeing what other people thought up is that their experience is different from your own and they might catch things you didn't
looking towards other people and synthesizing their analysis with yours is essential to developing a comprehensive view of a singular art work

do you know what an analysis is? he's breaking down the track and explaining each individual section of it and how they work together. he isn't just saying "the guitar sounds like guitars"
I'm almost 100% sure that all you'd have to say about this record is "lol it's weird"

>tfw no Patrician neighbor

so you knew just by listening that Beefheart played guitar with a steel pick, and the song was composed based on transcriptions from his untrained piano playing? you knew all that just by listening?

Not true by the way

No, I actually very much enjoy the album. And again, I can hear myself the structure of the song, it doesn't take an expert to explain it.

>Frownland by Captain Beefheart & his Magic Band: Analysis
>Analysis
>Analysis
>Analysis

>you knew all that just by listening?
Did he? No, he read about it. Maybe he guessed about the steel pick on his own.

okay so basically you can either read about how the song was made, or you could watch that guys video. what's the fucking difference? you're getting the same information either way, why do you act like a video of a person telling you it is so awful?

>it doesn't take an expert to explain it
it kinda does though. you can't just give the track to some random dude and make him give an extensive analysis about it
there's more to analysing a track then knowing how it sounds

Fantano is funnier.

This should have been the first post desu

Well the video isn't really intended for you then.
Picture this: Someone doesn't see the appeal to TMR, has no method of interpreting the songs on it in a way that is meaningful to him, and is wondering what the hubbub was about. He comes across an analytical video that explains the inner workings of a song and his appreciation for it dramatically improves because he now understands a method of looking at it and can either decide to develop that method further or develop another interpretive strategy because he now has a familiarity with the work.
Now maybe the TMR video didn't work for him. Oh well, but this scenario doesn't strictly apply to this album though. It could be with a movie, a painting, a symphony, a book, etc.

Music does objectively exist, yes.

t. Pleb

so you're saying that Fantano is a shitty reviewer and you only watch him to get a laugh?

I suppose i didn't think of that. It could be a helpful video in that scenario.

Depends what about music but yes everything is objective to a certain extent.

He needs to get a better mic, I don't feel like listening to 31 minutes of wet lip smacking

What's with Andreyev getting posted as much as he does? Don't get me wrong, I think he's great, really enjoy his analysises, but who keeps posting it?

Probably him t b h

larry graves is the best reviewer though.

youtube.com/watch?v=NMQbbtJW-YQ

BEST REVIEWER COMING THROUGH
youtube.com/watch?v=zPuzQcE-48k

this guy is pretty patrician desu

This guy's pretty cool, and his videos are comfy af

now I can get behind this old ass nig.

This guy is patrician

Who cares really? And it's not like anyone can prove that he himself is doing that. Wouldn't it be positive if this board starts getting interested in anything other than memes?

This guy needs more views

Based Dereck
I think regular Dereck and Andreyev posting could help our board quite a bit.

>flat camera angle
>boring voice
>boring editing style

yeah no wonder the melon gets more views

yes i too need a cut every few second and a kuhrayzee effect or else my little brain gets bored and i have to watch something else

>I like watching low effort videos

it doesn't matter if what you're saying makes sense, if your video style sucks, no one is sticking around to watch it.

millenials everyone

You just proved his point.

Anthony is a turbo faggot making easy money saying absolutely nothing about music for 10 minutes at a time

>IM A FUCKING MORON AND I NEED CONSTANT ENTERTAINMENT OR ELSE I GET BOREDY BORED :(:(:(

That is a small part of this video. I guarantee you couldn't break down a Beefheart song and apply theory to analyze it musically.

Seriously though why does Sam blink so fucking much

tourettes maybe

The entirety of Sup Forums is 100% guilty of what he describes in the first 3 minutes. None of you fuckers can explain shit because you don't actually know anything about music, you just like how it sounds and some music critic said that makes you smart. Kill yourselves.

I love Dereck, his old man politics bitching is pretty funny

What? Why would knowing the inner workings of a track I did not like in the first place make me appreciate it more? Do you mean the concept of a song/the album? Or the explanation of lyrics? Or background info to why a track used an instrument or what the song meant to the artist?
Or do you mean how the artist played, say, the guitar in a song? Or how he played certain chords? What time signature tracks are in? Transcribed and explained tracks? Because if so, I don't understand why how the guy played certain chords on the guitar or used 4/4 time signature would make me appreciate the track any more. Knowledge of music theory doesn't attract me to music, at least not overtly.

ITT: Pretentious faggots who think a literal joke album is deep.

Like, I'm not trying to be edgy or anything, I genuinely am curious.
I've subbed to this guy and the Derrick guy and will check out Beefhart btw.

> Knowledge of music theory doesn't attract me to music, at least not overtly.
It can make people appreciate what Beefheart was doing. Instead of thinking Trout Mask Replica is chaotic bullshit, someone could see that the music is actually very complex and intricate.

>you just like how it sounds

how is that not enough

Hmm, that's true. But I've got an open enough mind to at least trust that the artist I'm listening to isn't playing random bullshit, or in this case, is being unorthodox. I guess I was mainly thinking of less intricate, more modern day music.

this video is proof that TMR is the greatest thing created after 1965

>32 minutes explain a meme song from a meme album

simply lol

>What? Why would knowing the inner workings of a track I did not like in the first place make me appreciate it more?
As the other user said, if you previously thought that it sounded like someone got drunk and started banging on the piano for 10 minutes, but then someone else came in and said "oh actually there's a lot of intricate detail in the music, check out how these patterns are formed and developed," would you not come out of the discussion with a better understanding of the work? Sure it might not be your cup of tea but even if you vastly prefer fun, catchy pop over obscure serialist piano music, at the very least you can walk away knowing that "wtf it sounds like he's on drugs and doesn't know how to compose" is a rather immature view of the work, and there is a rhyme and a reason for the chaos.
>Knowledge of music theory doesn't attract me to music, at least not overtly.
It doesn't have to but it does to some. Lots of people have written many things about a single chord from a Wagner opera which is understandably boring to some but endlessly fascinating to others. I personally find dissecting music to be kinda fun.

I don't care. It sounds good.