youtube.com/watch?v=IyfaYHMNIuA
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Sonic Youth is the U2 of art rock

It's beer commercial music

It's festival music

It's normie

It's not no wave

Fuck you music jock

Well they have more memorable tunes than Sonic Youth.

/thread

U2 > SY

I love u2 I really enjoy their music

Spotted the U2 fans

>there are underage children on this board right now

Talk to me after your contrarian phase ends

>I'm really into music for a 16 year old! I like Radiohead, Mac Demarco, Tame Impala, Sonic Youth, My Bloody Valentine, Death Grips, Neutral Milk Hotel, the list goes on...

Nowt wrong about U2, they were great
This is also true desu, and I like Sonic Youth a lot

>you became so contrarian that you listen to fucking u2

No Wave was a scene, not a genre. Regardless of anyone's opinion on their music Sonic Youth were objectively associated with that scene.

Mac Demarco is such a cool artist, he's so different

bodied him

None of these are bad except Tame Impala

Fpbp

U2 did some pretty ingenious/influential/prescient shit in the 90s in terms of using pop music and the rock concert as a vehicle for highly meta social commentary/self-satire/media spectacle
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoo_TV_Tour

not to mention that they made some pretty excellent pop songs as well to go along with all the other shit

youtube.com/watch?v=WfL-UAHcJME

youtube.com/watch?v=5Y1YFH9A3Bw

youtube.com/watch?v=iyed5qd7FmQ

youtube.com/watch?v=JjTI5qjm0Yw

meanwhile sonic youth never really extended much out of their contrived NYC boho schtick, watering down ideas pilfered from genuinely avant-garde artists into posing basic-bitch college rock
come to think of it, sonic youth pretty much sucks ass

Why is Sup Forums too pleb for Sonic Youth? Honest question.

Does that mean U2 is the sonic youth of buttrock?

The intro to Where The Streets Have No Name is most likely better than anything you've got in your shitty music library, fag.

Sonic Youth is the Mac Demarco of the 80s

U2 are essential plebcore. If you like them, you need to fuck off back to /r/music.

When I was 10 my favorite bands were coldplay, u2, and the killers. I dont think I can ever give them a try again because I'm reminded of little shit 10 y/o me.

UNO

>some sad shitcunt put time in making that
>it's probably you
kek

Wait the fucking Vertigo band? What the fuck???

How could anybody here like them?

How's your first day on Sup Forums going?

That makes no sense whatsoever

It has to be ironic. How could anyone seriously fucking like U2? They're the worst fucking band. Critics hate them. Plebs hate them. Patricians hate them. Young people hate them. My dad hates them.

Seriously who fucking likes these guys? I've never met a single U2 fan in my life. And for how supppsedly "massive" they are, I can't for the life of me recall hearing more than maybe one or two songs by them in my life.

Woah. That's, like, a sick burn, man.

Damage control to distract from the fact that you're obviously new to Sup Forums (and probably music in general).

This

Sonic Youth needs to happen on here

U2 is the AC/DC of buttrock. Vertigo is the definition of bland post-grunge bullshit.

this. how did this board fall so far into the depths of blind poptimism?

coldplay? their stuff is alright, and they worked with Eno
the killers? first album was good
muse? not by thing, but you could do a lot worse
But U2???? That's just way to far.

Why the FUCK do people say that U2 was post-punk?

To be fair OP posted one of the most pleb SY albums. What said is pretty much true of their 90s work onwards. I'd be surprised if anyone ITT has had much exposure to their 80s material besides listening to Daydream Nation once and having it go over their heads.

you're a nerd lol

>intelligence of the average U2 fan

If you like U2 and have never listened to The Fall just fucking neck yourself

If you like The Fall and have never listened to Pere Ubu just fucking neck yourself

>bland post-grunge bullshit.
all grunge is by definition bland
vertigo was released in 2001
post-grunge?
what?
what's wrong with goo

fun fact, the fall support U2 in the 80s

early u2 was post-punk and fit in comfortably alongside bands like the chameleons, echo & the bunnymen, joy division etc

>of their 90s work onwards

You mean the first 3 albums of the 90s, and even then Experimental Jet Set is pushing it. Washing Machine and A Thousand Leaves are no less ambitious than their latter 80s output. Hell, the entire run of albums from Washing Machine to Sonic Nurse were in some form or fashion mindful of the band's early stylings. Sure, there were some catchy tunes in the mix like Sunday or The Empty Page but tracks like those did not comprise the entirety of a Sonic Youth album until Rather Ripped.

>pere ubu
you mean fat captain beefheart imitators with zits?

Great picks here. Don't forget the Passengers record either. U2's best album no one's heard of - I've played it to people who hate U2 without telling them they were behind it and they loved it.

youtube.com/watch?v=6YaGR8ZX9Zo

Phew good thing I like pere ubu :)

the fall and u2 played some shows together way back in the day
u2 also had bands like this heat, eisturzende neubauten and the pixies opening for them at various times
they also sang praise of bands like my bloody valentine, nine inch nails, gang of four, industrial music etc. in the press back when none of those things were still major pop culture landmarks yet
bono's pretty patrician desu

hahahahahahaha no they didn't
this is bait

>comparing math-blues to avant-garage

Guided by Voices and Pavement are the best bands in the world there's no debating this

not my words
elland road in leeds, 1987, joshua tree tour

it's pretty well-known info dude
their whole reinvention in the early 90s came as a result of them embracing those "alternative" influences rather than the more straightforward and earnest artists they were looking up to until that point

seriously? goo is one of my favorite albums.

Not that user but he's somewhat right. Goo and Dirty were the band taking a stab at the grunge sound that was gaining traction at the time. Personally, they're two of my least favorites from the band but it's not like they're poor efforts, I just prefer their other stuff more.

It's threads like this that make you realize you outgrew Sup Forums. Years ago, people would ironically argue if something was pleb or patrician. Now it's serious.

Sonic Youth is good. They've had a few bad albums. U2 has had mostly bad albums and one good one, but who cares. Listen to what you want.

"Pleb" chart makers are just as bad as tripfags.

Yeah people should be allowed to discuss Blink-182 and Green Day and whatever other teenager-pandering hottopic-core they want to that could easily be discussed on reddit or facebook because music is subjective xD

No it'd totally be better if people worried about appealing to avant-teens. DAE listen to super experimental jazz-core??? xDDDD

This. I don't understand how Sup Forums doesn't realize this.

Gonna need to know what that 'good one' is

not bait my dude

yah the teenies love bono he's so hot

>tfw people are seriously hating on Goo
In my opinion it's one of their best. Yeah, maybe not as 'experimental,' but I personally like when music can hit the sweet spot between experimental and catchy melodies, and I think SY really hits the nail on the head with Goo

To each their own. For me, Daydream Nation, Sister and Sonic Nurse hit that spot.

>NO YOU CANT LIKE WHATEVER YOU LIKE, OPINIONS ARENT ALLOWED HERE BECAUSE I SAID SO

Sonic Youth is the Radiohead of the 20th century
Shit that's placed on a pedestal by teenagers that haven't got in the genre's they take inspiration from

I'd like to think that Radiohead is the Radiohead of the 20th century.

>Because nothing blink-182 or green day have done is worth talking about

they were the Radiohead of the 20th century before Radiohead took over.

Well, Radiohead did rip off Sonic Youth on Pablo Honey so I guess so.

SY are a huge importance to influencing Radiohead, not fucking u2

>bono's pretty patrician desu

To be fair it was The Edge who was plugging industrial music and MBV and shit in interviews back then, not Bono.

and again on In Rainbows

The Edge consistently has fantastic taste. It's a absolute tragedy he's never done a solo album beyond the boring Captive soundtrack.

I liked that one album he did with some original members from Can and PiL and Arthur Russell.

this

Damn, I had no idea about this. Thank you, seriously.

A solo album from him post 1990 would have been something great. I know Bono is involved, but if that Clockwork Orange soundtrack ever gets a release, that's the closest we'll get.

I hate bono

I'd take avant-teens over literal highschoolers any time.

Moron.

True.

*I love benis

Bono loves you user

U2 is bad

What a dumb post. That's like saying you shouldn't listen to Mozart when you can just listen to Haydn instead.

this. Objectively so.

youtube.com/watch?v=IyfaYHMNIuA

Thats a stupid chart.

i know this one dude who is obsessed with u2. says hes seen them like 10 times

sonic youth are way better daydream nation is like my favourite album

t. plebeian

Bland adult contemporary

The Fly is the single best song they ever recorded. Fucking masterpiece.

ac/dc is the ac/dc of buttrock

> In Rainbows
> Hunky Dory
> The Queen is Dead

I sense you this list is there only to isolate start albums, but to dub it plebian as well is a strech.

This thread is terrible

>U2 are just bland adult contemporary that ripped off better post-punk bands
>NO Sonic Youth are just bland college rock that ripped off better avant-garde musicians

All this thread is proving that both fanbases are comprised of morons who can't offer legitimate musical criticisms without resorting to "[band] is just bland [genre label] that ripped off artists I won't actually name because I can't think of any".

On a side note, of the music from each band that I've heard, Sonic Youth blows U2 out the water, but I've never heard a full U2 album so I'd never be so presumptious as to claim that they're actually bad. I doubt anyone attacking them ITT has actually listened to a full album of theirs either. Same deal with Sonic Youth.

>On a side note, of the music from each band that I've heard, Sonic Youth blows U2 out the water, but I've never heard a full U2 album so I'd never be so presumptious as to claim that they're actually bad

Wow, somebody with some common sense. Thank you.

Plebeiancore does not necessarily equate to bad music, but all of those albums are pretty mediocre with only a few good songs each.

I guess.

but MBDTF is on that list, and it's literally the best album ever made. Every song is 10/10 at least, with some going as far as being 13/10

you cannot possibly like u2 more than sonic youth if you ahve listened to both artists

ebin

Why is this so? I've never listened to U2.