The European longsword or the samurai's katana?

The European longsword or the samurai's katana?
which is better?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=eY8oMD0KCE4
youtu.be/EDkoj932YFo
youtube.com/watch?v=RFu11mSutd0
youtu.be/BVCaJdYZmCU?t=1m8s
youtube.com/watch?v=Z5tuklPjtAU
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shark_suit
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Yo moma's dick

apples and oranges. better at what?

depends on you fighting style.

at killing someone

Each is better for its intended purpose.

/thread

Katana, but only if skilled fighter.

Broadswords are just brute force. Both will kill you.

What's better for building things?
Hammer or Screwdriver?

See what you did there?

Vs eachother i feel like the katana would win... depends on the people fighting though,

Stop watching anime!

If armored Longsword
If exposed katana. Any form of mail would stop the katana dead.

are you killing someone in wooden armor or steel armor?

The Katana slashes and thrust better than the european longsword. But in terms of class, the rapier will be above all these, so it's the best.

Again, each is better for it's intended purpose. Hammer is better for hammering, screwdriver is better for driving screws. Retard

I'm talking nihonto

*teleports behind you*
nothing personal kid

The one made with better materials

stop meme'ing

There's a reason samurai also had a mace type weapon

katanas are made to slice flesh, not to fight blade to blade. That's why they are razor sharp, using them for fencing would be as smart as using a flamethrower as a hairdryer

pretty much this. I'll never understand why people have this unfounded infatuation for the katana. A longsword of the same time period not only used better steal, it also had handguard which would be used with halfswording against armor. I knight in full armor vs a samurai in full armor wouldn't even be a contest. The samurai would have literally no answer for the knight's "advanced technology."

If I had to go on a 1vs1 to the death with a random opponent, I would choose longsword. You see, if I'd choose katana and opponent isn't armored, then I'm good. If he is, well I'm fucked. If I'd choose longsword, if he isn't armored then I'm good. If he is I'm still pretty good.

+1 to this comment

In a duel a rapier would be my go to btw.

The gun. Hands down the gum.

Sure, the katana was pretty good when fighting small Asian people without proper armour.

scimitar

youtube.com/watch?v=eY8oMD0KCE4

100% false. A katana can pierce 2inches into a knights plate. It was tested on a myth busters like history channel show.

youtu.be/EDkoj932YFo

Katana end of debate

Rapier & buckler, hoes.

Katana is better to slice unarmed and unarmored farmers. European sword is better to stab through chainmail and plate.

Is that the one video where the longsword is dull as fuck?

yeah, and that show had fake armour, and the guy using the longsword wasn't using anywhere near the right techniques on the sword. he was a katana expert.

>Springfield 1911

Aww, actual field tests aren't good enough for you guys now?

Get rekt. Katana masterrace.

Katana is meant for rapid precise strikes

Broad sword for muscley manly cleaving of bitch heads

So it really depends on OP which is better.

>actual

youtube.com/watch?v=RFu11mSutd0
That's all you need to know.

Go talk to any arms and armor historian or someone who studies the art or blades and you will find 9 of 10 will say the broad sword is better. The katana was a product of stubbornness and it was good at 1 thing. But the best way to kill a man was to keep him far away and just stab him.

>Sword """"""""""""expert"""""""""""""
>Trying to cut metal armor.

Gomenasai, my name is Ken-Sama.

I’m a 27 year old American Otaku (Anime fan for you gaijins). I draw Anime and Manga on my tablet, and spend my days perfecting my art and playing superior Japanese games. (Disgaea, Final Fantasy, Persona series)

I train with my Katana every day, this superior weapon can cut clean through steel because it is folded over a thousand times, and is vastly superior to any other weapon on earth. I earned my sword license two years ago, and I have been getting better every day.

I speak Japanese fluently, both Kanji and the Osaka dialect, and I write fluently as well. I know everything about Japanese history and their bushido code, which I follow 100%

When I get my Japanese visa, I am moving to Tokyo to attend a prestigious High School to learn more about their magnificent culture. I hope I can become an animator for Studio Ghibli or a game designer!

I own several kimonos, which I wear around town. I want to get used to wearing them before I move to Japan, so I can fit in easier. I bow to my elders and seniors and speak Japanese as often as I can, but rarely does anyone manage to respond.

Wish me luck in Japan!

Longsword. Just as sharp as a katana, and made of better material and build.

Don't forget to commit seppuku.

My European and Japanese history professor tripled majored in Euro History, Jap history and some major revolving the evolution of weaponry.

He often spoke of the katana as the greatest weapon barring guns and nukes.

2:13
You can easily see that that "block" is just two solid ice blocks put together. I could split that wit a fucking spoon

good luck in Japan, Ken-sama!

longsword of course. Katana is a cheap flimsy piece of poorly made shit.

You can split it with a spoon but his long sword couldn't split it?

Fuck the long sword must suck.

Deutsche Zweihänder

>any form of mail would stop the katana dead.
>a katana can pierce 2 inches into a knights plate
How is that false when he was talking about mail and you came up with plate you fucking idiot?

Because the long sword went against an actual solid block of ice. This video is bullshit.

>implying mail is stronger than plate

Boy.

I imagine this would cut you in half in one fell swoop.

Although you need to be Arnold at his prime to carry one.

Sure it is. Everything is bullshit if it proves you wrong isn't it?

4:39
You can clearly see the line where the blocks were joined

Don't /thread your own comment, dickhead.

Since everyone is trying to refute the European longsword winning by talking about armour etc.

That looks more like a parody rather than an actual test.

youtu.be/BVCaJdYZmCU?t=1m8s

Explain this cunt

Mail is better suited for certain things than plate. The point of plate is to have blows "glance" off and be redirected. The point of Mail, is to stop things from penetrating the body. This is why Mail or a gambeson was usually worn underneath plate armor. I swear, the ignorance on this subject baffles me.

Depends. Katana is more of a slasher so won't do dick against period appropriate euro armour. The long sword has better reach and a stabbing tip, conferring a hefty advantage to the euro fighter assuming both fighters are wearing armor styles that match their weapon. In a fight between two equally skilled fighters with no armour, the long sword will give an advantage due to reach but not enough to make it definitely better.

Tldr; The long sword is a little better due to reach but not by a lot. A dismounted high medeavil knight would slap the shit out of a late feudal period Japanese samurai tho.

A knight would fuck a Samurai up.

Personally, I'd go with the longsword looking at the pic. You've got a more effective option of a point attack and the handguard is wider.

This purely being from lots of European fencing experience a small bit of Kendo and choreographed show / stage fencing.

Get that objectivity and actual research out of here, it's a shitposting zone.

and also, brohoof

youtube.com/watch?v=Z5tuklPjtAU

Basu-Noriba, my friend.

There's a reason that even today they use mail instead of plate to defend against shark bites. Look it up, fag

They use kevlar bodysuits mostly.
>diving with chainmail

Kek

Retarded weeb detected, knights literally trained since childhood

Longsword

If you throw bread, birds will come.

Longsword is clearly the winner OP

Katana-
Damage: 100%
Aesthetics: 9/10
Cost, effort and time to manufacture: $99999999999

European Long Sword-
Damage: 90%
Aesthetics: 6/10
Cost, effort and time to manufacture: Peanuts

European swords all the way

False. Where's your source? Here's mine - en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shark_suit

"Various approaches have been attempted with materials ranging from sharp metal spikes that can deter sharks to rigid metal and plastic plating[1] but most current suits are made of chainmail."

Nope it weighs about 7lbs at the most
(well it's supposed too)

Fine you got me.

It's not like it would help anyway.

Kevlar doesn't help against teeth, though.

Would a zweihander cut a person in half if swung full force?

It does help though, user.

The European sword is better against another swordsman and against an armored opponent. The Japanese sword is more durable and more easily repaired. Looks like those two are around the same weight but the katana might be a little heavier and have its weight more centered.

Ultimately though, you miss, you are dead

exactly, They wouldn't wear heavy ass mail if it didn't help.

Actually, yes, it does help. That's why they use it. It distributes the force from piercing and slashing motion, such as that created be a katana, effectively turning a katana into a low mass, blunt weapon, which seems much more effective than rigid plate, which was the original argument.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

watch ONE video on jewtube from a fencing school, it will instantly prove you're a fucking reatard and should an hero

european is better in every way

This thread is so full of autism

>M1 Garand

With you included

>AK74-SU

>source
>Wikipedia

I bet your high school English teacher is proud

Longsword. Durability and versatility give the fighter the edge. Over all its approximate fighter skill that will win any fight tho. So make of that what you will.

Whichever has more range and stabbing capability.

Slashes will only get you so far against an armored opponent. Trust me, I'm a professional LARPer.

Unarmored (No clothes) and if the blade was extremely sharp and also used correctly possibly. I doubt it would be a very clean cut though.

>sure thing buddy

The European longsword. Katanas are for autists also one of the worst swords in general.