/shugazi/ - Shoegaze, Dream Pop, Noise Pop, Blackgaze, etc

shoegaze general. this hurts my ears edition.

Other urls found in this thread:

melrosee.bandcamp.com/releases
elemantraband.bandcamp.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=LpmccqJMMBA
suicideoscope.bandcamp.com/
serpentineskies.bandcamp.com/track/come-to-me-outtake
youtube.com/watch?v=_KQBatC6u6M
youtube.com/watch?v=OehCQ_bQWUM
reiclone.bandcamp.com/album/wet
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Melrose - melrose

melrosee.bandcamp.com/releases

member shoegaze?!

Elemantra - Foreign Breath
pretty good alt-rock / shoegaze.
it's kinda nu-gaze at times and like Smashing Pumpkins at times.
not mine btw, some dude posted it in a bandcamp thread and i enjoyed it.

forgot link
elemantraband.bandcamp.com/

what do people here think of the new slowdive album?
I though it was good, but not as good as their others

what does /shugazi/ think of pic related?
it's a 7/10 for me, the textures there sound pretty original for it's time.
I wonder why it's so underrated on RYM

there's no pic

shit, forgot pic

I personally really liked it. It's my AOTYSF.
I dug the last 3 tracks and slomo a lot. It just feels like a comeback done right and it stands alone pretty well regardless.
I sure don't like it as much as Souvlaki and Just For a Day, but a bit more than Pygmalion (though it hasn't clicked for me fully yet).

did you guys listen to this
i thought it was good

I thought I'd share the first Manic Sheep album. They're a Taiwanese dream pop band that I've really fallen in love with. Someone posted their second album a few weeks ago so I thought I'd upload their first.

files dot fm /u/ aqa2xgya

youtube.com/watch?v=LpmccqJMMBA

hello /shugazi/ how can i get into slowdive?

If you like gothic rock, then try Just For a Day.
If you like dream pop / normal pop. then try Souvlaki.
If you like ambient / post-rock, try Pygmalion.
Don't force it, it'll probably take some time.
Also you could watch the Souvlaki documentary, it helped me to understand them a bit more.
And most importanly - have fun while doing it.

pick an album
play song
listen song

Anything relevant happened during the last 3 months?

new Slowdive.
Some people are really liking it but I think its nothing special desu

neat, I'm gonna listen to it

Hey lads, anyone recommend anything like Bowery electric's 'Beat'?
I found this band called 'seefeel' and although they don't really fall into the jurisdiction of shoegaze, they remind me of Bowery Electric.
can anyone help me find some music like this?

bump
don't die on me /shugazi/

have another good bandcamp recc
Suicideoscope
Pretty much an electronic shoegaze/ blackgaze album, with some droning moments, depressing lyrics and it sounds like DeathConsciousness at times too. It's on my AOTYSF list.

suicideoscope.bandcamp.com/
i fucking forgot link again

i should put away the drinks for some time

I liked it, judging from the couple tracks they had released before I didn't think I would like it this much.`

anyone here ever listen to Catherine Wheel?

Gimme noise pop

What does /shugazi/ think of this? It's sort of gloomy type of shoegaze / post-rock.

serpentineskies.bandcamp.com/track/come-to-me-outtake

sounds like a decent interlude between tracks.
It could really use some droney/ distorted/ reverberated bass or synth backing it up.
I really liked the vocals though.

shamelessly plugging my own project but: youtube.com/watch?v=_KQBatC6u6M

It's cut from the album since it was a test of how it would sound in a live setup, and it was present on the last release, the other tracks that are singles are the real takes.

>It could really use some droney/ distorted/ reverberated bass
Droning bass is definitely on the first track, and there's bass on the second, but it's pretty subdued in the mix, you can't really do bass well with a wall of guitars without putting a hard limiter on it, or as an associate of mine said' "choke fucking" it.

Alright.
I only listened to the one outtake you linked and nothing more.
I'll give the other tracks a listen and give some feedback if you want.

Well, for Haunted I was going for more of a gothic rock / black metal sound and Undead Like Me is definite shoegaze, but the main vocals are lower and there is lots of layered cold-sounding guitars and spooky vocals.

Crush is good, but Pinkshinyultrablast is better

I definiely dig the guitar strumming in the background in Hauted, The track is really chaotic though.If that was the intention, then great. If it wasn't, then i can't really help here, i'm not any good at composing stuff.

As for Undead Like Me i'd definetely break the track apart into some sections. Like a few bars in the middle where there's only an acoustic guitar strumming and some spooky sounds going on, and maybe some feedback or wet reverb from the electric guitar.
+ the guitar noise could use a bit of an lfo going on, like a small band notch filter appearing here and there, or just some fun with the tremolo bar.

In general the stuff is good, definetely something i haven't heard yet. but also that's the source of my uncertainty. If it sounds like something you wanted to acheve, then all is fine.

As far as I'm concerned, the only things the two tracks are missing would be drums, but I planned for that at the end of mixing the entire album, live drums on some tracks, and drum machines on others, to make that really cold sort of 80s goth/industrial/darkwave sound to go along with it.

There's no acoustic guitar on this release, but it was the primary instrument in the foreground of my last album, where the electric guitar and vocal effects made up the backdrop shadowing it.

Come To Me uses fuzz, but it's not present on those first two tracks, but it shows its place and heaviness on a couple of other tracks that sound much heavier. There's a second guitar tuned in augmented 4ths on Undead Like Me used purely for texture that shows up near the end, I plan on using this sort of dissonant sound throughout the record, especially on the dark ambient track that follows it.

I think i see what you mean to achieve now.
Be sure to keep us updated whenever you do something with this release. I'll happily see how it's progressing.

>Be sure to keep us updated whenever you do something with this release. I'll happily see how it's progressing.
Sure.

One thing that I like to do, with any of my albums since Lazarus, is link the individual tracks together as a cohesive whole, this involves recording all of the songs separately then running them together again to add them to the mix, over which the original mix is added.

To cut down on wasting RAM, Sides A and B are mixed separately, and on this release they'll lead into one another.

>One thing that I like to do, with any of my albums since Lazarus, is link the individual tracks together as a cohesive whole, this involves recording all of the songs separately then running them together again to add them to the mix, over which the original mix is added.
I don't think i understand. is it like double tracking the song?
If that's the case, then i can't deny that it'd be a good think to do in shoegaze.

+ i want to share another great (IMO) release that i think is underrated
Rei Clone - Wet EP
>Nu-gaze, very 'full' sound, some violins i think, the titles maybe are weeb-ish, but it's a great piece of shoegaze
Sample: youtube.com/watch?v=OehCQ_bQWUM
Link: reiclone.bandcamp.com/album/wet (free download)

>I don't think i understand. is it like double tracking the song?
>If that's the case, then i can't deny that it'd be a good think to do in shoegaze.
It is like that a bit, but it's like ensuring that there are no silences or gaps between tracks. Albums I like that do this are The Downward Spiral and Dark Side Of The Moon.

Oh, i see.
That's a pretty bold thing to do. Most of my favourite albums don't ever let me rest and leave me speechless and 'tired' after listening to them.
I could really see that working out, so i approve.
We need more people like you in the music business.

>We need more people like you in the music business.
It is fucking hard though to make music like this on next to nothing, not asking for money, but I always find ways to scrape by and pull stuff together with a very tight budget I always do in the end.

I think of albums as not just a collection of songs, but as a seamless frame of time, so track order and placement is very important to me. I went from making albums out of songs to albums as a soundtrack with songs within them, if that makes sense to anyone here.

>It is fucking hard though to make music like this on next to nothing, not asking for money, but I always find ways to scrape by and pull stuff together with a very tight budget I always do in the end.
That is admirable. I wish i could help, but money is pretty tight here though. I'm happy that i managed to get a couple of my all time favourites at this year's RSD.
>I think of albums as not just a collection of songs, but as a seamless frame of time, so track order and placement is very important to me.
>if that makes sense to anyone here.
Absolutely.
I listen to full albums 99% of the time, so the full view is as important to me as the tracks that make it up.

I'm a hipster, Mr. Dubs guy. So Souvlaki would still be the best Slowdive album for me.

>That is admirable. I wish i could help, but money is pretty tight here though. I'm happy that i managed to get a couple of my all time favourites at this year's RSD.

You can help though by telling at least one other person about it. I literally don't care if I sell anything, as long as I can get more people to hear my stuff.

>I listen to full albums 99% of the time, so the full view is as important to me as the tracks that make it up.
Exactly. An album is a work of art, It should follow a theme and a frame of time, when making one you should make songs that sound at least somewhat similar, but not too similar, yet go together and flow into each other well. Time is a river.

>You can help though by telling at least one other person about it.
I sure will do that. I have a few friends that may dig that sound.
Of course i can't really promise much, as i haven't yet taken the time to get familiar with the work you put out so far, hope you understand.
But either way, if feels great seeing that people are fighting the good fight. You keep at it, and i'll make sure that i don't miss out on hearing whatever you make.

Thank you.