Will ever there be a next Nirvana?

Will ever there be a next Nirvana?

Or are future generations stuck with trap/EDM for life?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rf9HBZRq2eg
youtube.com/watch?v=8uHUgazg0K0
youtube.com/watch?v=pekuZglq-Sg
youtube.com/watch?v=gOZKz_sPM6U
youtube.com/watch?v=LVyGxlgeAjc&ab_channel=xdannyxbrownxVEVO
youtube.com/watch?v=d1hwH1tk8ig
youtube.com/watch?v=0RDWkgq2Waw
youtube.com/watch?v=gjN5-f2MNWM&ab_channel=YoungThug
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

mac demarco after he commits suicide

>Leave Nirvana to me

hopefully this time we will just skip the whole music making part and just fast forward to the suicide

For a long time I had this theory: the impossibility of a female Kurt Cobain. What he represents, leaning against the system and yet supported by consumers, there was no woman in the world that could command the masses so utterly. The music industry wouldn't let her. This thing I've been stewing about since I saw Grimes play to 20 people in 2011, and started reading her Tumblr, and then really starting feeling when "Oblivion" came out, is that Claire is the closest thing we have to a female Kurt Cobain, smart enough to understand the system but righteous enough to wall-jump away from it. But also, interestingly, what an inversion her approach is to Kurt's. His pose was anti-establishment, her pose is post-structural. He was rigorous, she is always looking outward, game for genre-experimentation and hilarity. I feel like even if I don't like her music, and I do so far, I will always feel like she's several steps ahead of me, several books ahead of me, and that makes me feel really fucking good. Anyone who gives her grief about anything can kick rocks as far as I'm concerned.

He's too happy to commit suicide

I don't want him to die :((((

DEATH GRIPS YUH !!!!!!!!!!!

death grips are the insane clown posse of this generation

>woop woop
>yuh yuh
it fits

Youth angst and anger will always have a place, so I don't doubt another will come.

Hopefully she kills herself too

lmao

kek

that was lorde. now her imitators (alessia cara, halsey, daya) are dominating the charts like their imitators (nickelback, creed) did.

lorde is the female bones

There are no 'next _______'s. There's nothing to gain from acting like a thing that exists needs to exist again.

Sort of reminds of this random guy who, years ago, argued at me unprovoked that Animal Collective's best album is MPP because it's their Sgt Pepper and went on to randomly assign the other 2 Animal Collective albums he knew to Beatles albums as if that arbitrary comparison makes any sense.

Yeah, thats why they are the nirvana of this generation

>muh edgy I dont like nirvana autist

not my fault they had no single good album to their name

Yeah but what about the great music?

Nirvana is insanely underrated. Kurt had one of the best senses for good melodies ever. Literally ever single song on Nevermind is catchy as fuck with strokes of genius. The whole thing got too famous to the point it became a meme but the music is there.

Sounds like you're the retard in this situation.

lol grimes is a fucking retard

youtube.com/watch?v=rf9HBZRq2eg

Paul McCartney would have liked to be on Nirvana:

youtube.com/watch?v=8uHUgazg0K0

anyone that thinks Nirvana was bad is memeing

the main problem is that kurt had talent

not true btw

Trap and EDM are more antiestablishment than contemporary rock music is.

stop posting

>offended by the truth
go back to /r/eddit

see

yung lean

>Kurt had one of the best senses for good melodies ever. Literally ever single song on Nevermind is catchy as fuck with strokes of genius. The whole thing got too famous to the point it became a meme but the music is there.
agreed

people always overlook the guitar smashing element of kurt cobain

A lot of music is surprisingly similar to old stuff but just needs to be looked for. You probably won't find the new Nirvana on the mainstream radio, or maybe not at all. You could find something better.

Yeah but the other three are better.

Adolescence is liking nirvana
Adulthood is realizing weezer is the better 90s rock band

this is true

We already have our next Kurt Cobain.

Weezer are even worse than Nirvana. At least Nirvana didn't write Tired of Sex.

How? They are the establishment.

If Nirvana never existed, and some band made Nevermind today, would it be as acclaimed?

No. In this age only bands willing to whore themselves for promotion will blow up. Genuine musicians die in the gutter

Kid Cudi. Being 100% honest here.

Why would anyone want this?

Yeah, it was completely different back in the day. Bands didn't have to whore themselves out. No siree.

What? While in my opinion Weezer isn't as good as Nirvana I wouldn't call them worse. You can feel the emotion in their s/t and Pinkerton just like the emotion in Nirvana's music.
Are you forgetting everything after Pinkerton and before EWBAITE?

really it was a matter of all the music of the time was fake plastic shit, nirvana came out and hit us with some realiti, and the frustration we had all been feeling, i'll never forget the day SMTS aired on MTV, my life changed
thank god they killed the glam-bands
also i don't care what people think, Tori's version is just as haunting, just in a different way
youtube.com/watch?v=pekuZglq-Sg

Bush was the next Nirvana

It's all dying, music will just be functional.

>Will ever there be a next Nirvana?

no

white people and guitar based music is over

Sombody on this board ounce said clarence clarity, that seems like a possibility.

youtube.com/watch?v=gOZKz_sPM6U

how isn't this one of the best performances ever?

see

Because we're older than 18 and have heard more than corporate entry level shite.

Saw the chili peppers in march in seattle, used to listen to I'm with you on my way to work every day. No EDM or Trap for me dawgy

what music do you like then if you can't enjoy that

No. It would be still a great album, with some mainstream appeal but that's all. Nowadays it wouldn't blow up.

The era of rock bads on their garages blowing up and becoming rich is over. The entire idea of people isolated due no internet and coming up with their own thing is just over.

Also in 1993 Nevermind sounded like the future of rock music and still does in a way, the production is really fresh and clean.

But it wouldn't reach mainstream appeal I think. Who knows desu.

probably merzbow or some aspie shit

This desu.

Kurt said in an interview, that when kids dont care about rock and roll anymore, the world would explode.

I wonder what mainstream (and alternative) music in 2037 will be like.

It feels like everything has been done.

thats actually pretty cool senpai

How? im listening to "Not Now" and it's just bleeps n bloops.

Popular music may just be a temporary phenomena, even folk may succumb to technology and globalization.

I agree that rock isnt anti establishment anymore but you must be baiting to say edm and trap are at all anti establishment

yeah, lets listen to what the suicidal faggot had to say about the "world exploding".

also you clearly don't listen to new music if you think "everything has been done". like jesus, that's the most retarded statement someone could say about music

He wasn't a "suicidal faggot".
>My, there's this huge gaping wound in my head from that shotgun I just used to kill myself with
>Better wipe my fingerprints clean from the gun before anyone finds my dead body

What do you mean by 'next Nirvana'? If you're talking about a genuinely good artist who takes a previously underground genre mainstream, then yes. If you're talking about subversion, Nirvana weren't really all that subversive, so yes. If you're talking critically acclaimed, popular, slightly edgy and has a messed up personal life, then yes, you could even argue that Kanye fills that niche.

Nirvana were great, but they weren't genius innovators so much as Kurt was a songwriter who knew how to mix punk, indie rock, and pop into something that appealed to basically everyone.

>The entire idea of people isolated due to no internet and coming up with their own thing is just over

If Nirvana were isolated then they wouldn't have made Nevermind because they Kurt never would have heard the Pixies.

Link me to some recent music that sounds "new"

inb4 excuses to not put links

*ahem*

top kek

Not that guy but youtube.com/watch?v=LVyGxlgeAjc&ab_channel=xdannyxbrownxVEVO

>pixies
Yes, but you would need to search for stuff, there's not infinite access to all music on the planet

Also the pixies sound nothing like nirvana, i never got this meme.

Nearly every single Nirvana song is built on the Pixies' quiet-loud-quiet formula

It's just rapping and the instrumentals aren't anything i haven't heard before.

I havent heard anything mind blowing since 2001 Aphex Twin in terms of composition, drum programing etc.

Then Burial came up with a really unique vibe

Noisia took dnb production to the next level

Skrillex pushed "brostep" to the limit with Scary Monsters (even fantano gave it a 7.5)

Ive only heard trap shit since then and some weirdos like Death Grips but there's nothing remarkable.

youtube.com/watch?v=d1hwH1tk8ig

but the sound is completely different

>even fantano gave it a 7.5
>people actually use that to try and further their point

wow

I felt like if I didnt said that people would troll me for praising skrillex

Find me some other hip-hop that sounds like Atrocity Exhibition.

As far as mind-blowing, you're moving the goalposts. You asked for something that sounded new and I gave it to you.

If you're going to be really pedantic though, how about Flying Lotus, Holly Herndon, Young Thug, Shabazz Palaces, Ben Frost, Anna Meredith, or Amnesia Scanner?

wrong

this

this board is for 18+

>Nirvana is insanely underrated.
You mean overrated. Ultimately, they're a pop bad that managed to cash into teenage angst by being "authentic". True, the fact that they did that overshadows their actual musical chops, but the fact remains.

To be fair, all popular musicians are overrated one way or another, in that they're all considered untouchably mythic when they really aren't.

Flying Lotus really pushed the compression to ridiculous levels, not sure about the rest.
Young Thug? lol

Give me something that makes me go "wow" of this tier:

youtube.com/watch?v=0RDWkgq2Waw

It was nickleback

Again, you asked for something new, not something that wowed you. Show me anything else that sounds like this: youtube.com/watch?v=gjN5-f2MNWM&ab_channel=YoungThug

justin bieber was the second coming of cobain senpai

Just lol, any modern trap.

How did you manage to miss the vocals?

>it's a generic trap song
Kurt Cobainfags take his dick too far up their asses to think straight, guess you're a Young Thugfag. I guess in that way they're similar.

Nirvana made better music though.

I didnt. Not remarkable enough.

>Flying Lotus really pushed the compression to ridiculous levels

I think that's not really FlyLo's invention. If anything, it's already kind of a feature of this age of audio (Kanye does it a lot, for example). If you wanna be pedantic, Merzbow did that shit already in the 90s.

FlyLo's one of the best, but for different reasons than being like Kurt Cobain.

the only true antiestablishment genre around today is NSBM

There are easier ways to say that you don't listen to hip-hop

>it's another IDM track
Don't get me wrong, it's good, but you're just an Aphex Twin fanboy who overrates him to unreasonable levels.

Flylo did it in the beats in a different way, kind of like Clark.

Merzbow is just a mess.

They are good but my point is, theres nothing really new anymore.

>It's just rapping and instrumentals aren't anything i haven't heard before

Show me a rap song that sounds like that, then.

You are fucking insane. That was released in 2001. Nobody programs beats like that in 2017, but find me anything like that pre 2001.

>he's a fantanodrone
>he unironically thinks EDM is innovative

Thats not the point. My point is there is nothing legit new anymore.

heres your (You)

its me