/jazz/

Trombone edition

What are you listening to right now?
Who are your favorite trombonists?
What are your favourite jazz releases from this year?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bZ19CZfLwm0
youtube.com/watch?v=K_DWJ3e1Jwo
www72.zippyshare.com/v/nnqMMkkY/file.html
www72.zippyshare.com/v/dNmXRuIJ/file.html
www72.zippyshare.com/v/Npl8VO67/file.html
youtube.com/watch?v=9E62iA6KCIQ
www24.zippyshare.com/v/yKLGXS26/file.html
www24.zippyshare.com/v/FzhRjhBN/file.html
www24.zippyshare.com/v/gRtEO51v/file.html
www24.zippyshare.com/v/vTNknSey/file.html
www24.zippyshare.com/v/2mn6mWTo/file.html
rateyourmusic.com/collection/Jazzis/strm_relyear/2017/1
open.spotify.com/album/7aAy0mv8r8PNbyTlXTnjRf
youtube.com/watch?v=PrKhL9Zxyzg
youtube.com/watch?v=FhrvXwl3ENc
youtube.com/watch?v=aHsWigpaghY
open.spotify.com/album/0Wy8WCEASfJR4vR2XhwOIZ
youtube.com/watch?v=-u8uNWIroJQ
youtube.com/watch?v=8fjbRtz4Oho
youtube.com/watch?v=yhpKRJYZPUE
youtube.com/watch?v=CnAtaneReNI&ab_channel=chikaipon
www63.zippyshare.com/v/pQcDphRL/file.html
www63.zippyshare.com/v/GJyjGFVE/file.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Trumpeter Donald Byrd's fifth release for the Blue Note label finds him experimenting with a new quintet format, joining with baritone saxophonist Pepper Adams on the frontline. In the rhythm section of the quintet are pianist Duke Pearson, bassist Laymon Jackson, and drummer Philly Joe Jones.

Pearson serves as the main composer for the session, and gives the date a laid-back, blues drenched sound with three compositions and a co-writing credit with Byrd. Pearson's "Say You're Mine" opens the set with a minor vamp that leads to some nice solos, though the rhythm section seems rather stuck by the vampy nature of the tune. "Duke's Mixture" has an easy swing and catchy melody, however the tune's most memorable feature is its charming dynamic drive which, coupled with the deep swing that the whole quintet achieves, gives the tune a sound more reminiscent of Basie than of Duke. "Hello Bright Sunflower" has a happy mood, underscored by the medium-up swing tempo and Byrd's bright tone on muted trumpet.

"Each Time I Think of You" has a simple, but catchy melody that emphasizes the offbeats and the band seems comfortable within the medium swing tempo. The title track (written by Byrd) features a nice stop-time rhythmic figure to give its simple blues-based melody interest. Pearson contributes an especially good solo by Pearson where he occasionally moves beyond his typical blues-based approach. "Cute" is the sole cover tune (written by Neal Hefti) and gives the band a chance to blow over quick bebop tune. Byrd weaves fluidly and deftly through the changes, but the real treat is hearing Adams nimbly navigate the tune in spite of the challenging tempo. Philly Joe also gets a chance to let loose before the reiteration of the head.

It's a very fine hard bop album overall with nice compositions that have enough variety to maintain any listener's interest, yet share a common, blues-driven sound. Adams proves to be a good foil for Byrd, as both feature a highly melodic approach with a deep swing, but also have plenty of bebop technique that they use tastefully. The rhythm section swings hard and Pearson (whose solos aren't always his strongest point) sounds eminently comfortable on the changes and fits in well with the rest of the quintet. This is easily recommendable to all hard bop fans.

i will search for this, looks interesting, thanks

>What are you listening to right now?
pic related

Who are your favorite trombonists?
Probably grachan moncur III, air raid is one of the most beautiful pieces of jazz i've ever heard and i really like george lewis stuff with braxton

Didn't realize this thread was up and made another one, sorry.

Anyways, what do you guys think of Carla Bley?

i've only heard Nick Mason's Fictitious Sports, Escalator Over the Hill and 4x4
And well the stuff she composed to giuffre and paul bley to play, she's a great composer

What other albums you rec me?

Nothing about her playing ever really stood out to me but she's a pretty good composer.

I like Paul's playing better, so this is a cool record.

is there a /jazz/ approved guide to getting into jazz
I'm wondering if I can really appreciate the stuff I've heard without hearing early traditional jazz
I guess I'll just listen to a bunch of shit

i actually started with the most experimental stuff and then i went to the traditional stuff, is just finding what you like first and then you explore more

no reason you have to start with early jazz, but getting an understanding of that music will almost definitely give you a different appreciation of the later stuff

youtube.com/watch?v=bZ19CZfLwm0
this, right?

Kevin Eubanks aoty 2017

Holy fuck, i didn't even know Paul Bley died

This is perfect, the chart on the wiki left a lot to be desired.
Also, nice marijuana tip lmao

yeah, that

does jtg not like Monk?

which are some good free jazz or avant-garde jazz labels? i have listened to a bunch of hathut albums and some from criss cross

It was never meant to be an essentials chart. It was meant to be an introduction to the main jazz styles. Monk doesn't really fit into any of those styles, he's his own style.

Clean Feed, RogueArt

thanks mate

anybody want any of these bootlegs?

Miguel Zenon and Dave Holland sounds nice, how is the quality?

which ones? The Zenon ones may not be the best quality but I think most of the Holland ones are pretty good.

What do you mean by "not the best quality"? Sorry for asking so much but I've never really kept a bootleg in my library for long

Skatalites - Ska Ska Ska
ska which is a derivative of jazz

I mean none of them sound like studio recordings but they pretty much sound the same as what a decent official live release sounds like

Oh then that's fine, i would still like the Zenon ones then, i changed my mind about the Holland ones though, too much stuff to listen to.

I heard the title track of pic related played at a local jazz festival and almost cried.

Do yourself a favor and give it a listen. youtube.com/watch?v=K_DWJ3e1Jwo

Miguel Zenon Quartet- Bimhuis 2015

First set- www72.zippyshare.com/v/nnqMMkkY/file.html
Second set- www72.zippyshare.com/v/dNmXRuIJ/file.html

Miguel Zenon Quartet- Lotos Jazz Festival, Poland 2014

www72.zippyshare.com/v/Npl8VO67/file.html

Downloading then now, thanks.

Zenon and Perdomo are awesome

rune grammofon

How do i get into Monk?

where should I start with Eric Dolphy?

Depends what you like. If you like bebop check out his stuff with Chico Hamilton or Booker Little. If you're more into hard bop or modal jazz then check his recordings with Mingus and Coltrane. If you're more into free jazz or avant garde stuff then check out his releases as a leader, especially Out to Lunch and Iron Man

ESP Disk
BYG actual
AUM fidelity
Impulse
these WHY NOT
Soul Note
Black Saint
of course ECM and Blue Note have some great stuff too. If you like hathut stuff i would reccomend looking at AUM fidelity and ESP disk first. i think they have some aesthetic similarities.
wanna hook me up with the Potter Trio, Craig Taborn trio and Roscoe Mitchell?

honestly start with pretty much anything. maybe a live record from 63 like live in tokyo? but the guy didnt make bad music ever. just dont think about it, just listen to the guys soul. hes such beautiful player.

Do you guys like Chick Corea?

with miles yes but not a lot, after miles pretty much not at all.

I'm think RogueArt is defunct now or something. When producer Gerard Terrones died in March they sent an email saying:
"Gerard, you opened the way. Without you, RogueArt won’t exist. We will go as far as we can; we owe it to you."

They haven't released anything this year and haven't updated their site so I assume they were serious about that.

Also check Leo Records and Zorn's Tzadik

his best stuff was without Miles retard

I will listen to whatever the first five people to reply give to me, jazz only of course

How do i get into William Parker?

Do you guys play any instruments?

bump

Chick Corea and Gary Burton - Crystal Silence
Chick was so freaking amazing in the early 70s. Between Circle, the stuff with Miles, the Return to forever stuff and post bop like this, the man released classics in just about every stream of jazz that was active at the time. Maybe I should convert to scientology too.
>Who are your favorite trombonists?
Grachan Moncur, Sam Nanton, Jimmy Knepper, Conrad Herwig, Jose Davila and Curtis Fuller.

Shoutout to ya boy Delfeayo. The least musically gifted, but most fuckable Marsalis brother.
>What are your favourite jazz releases from this year?
Collin Vallon's Danse is my aoty by a long ways atm.

Listen to The Peach Orchard sporadically over the course of several months and each time, question why albums are allowed to be longer than two hours.

To My Queen - Walt Dickerson

youtube.com/watch?v=9E62iA6KCIQ

what other Conrad Herwig albums do you recommend? only heard this one and I want more like it

this is good

Unseen Universe, Reflections, Land of Shadow, and Heart of Darkness are all good

Chris Potter Trio- Jazz Festival Viersen 2003

www24.zippyshare.com/v/yKLGXS26/file.html

Craig Taborn Trio- Bimhuis 2012

www24.zippyshare.com/v/FzhRjhBN/file.html
www24.zippyshare.com/v/gRtEO51v/file.html

Roscoe Mitchell Trio- Willisau 2016

www24.zippyshare.com/v/vTNknSey/file.html

Empyrean Isles > Maiden Voyage
or:
Maiden Voyage > Empyrean Isles
?

both good. I think the compositions on MV are a little better though and the rhythm section sounds better too.

Kewl. where'd you get these?

Hmm yes, but The Egg though.

if you have any time left, I'd be glad to have the Wayne Shorter one. btw, how did you get all those?

how do you listen to music with such bad cover art

Just collected them from various sources over time.

Wayne Shorter Quartet- Merciac 2013

www24.zippyshare.com/v/2mn6mWTo/file.html

it's very easy, you just listen to it

aw shit nigger, I attended the New Morning quite a lot around 2009-2013, maybe I saw the SF collective concert

Monk's Dream is a great place to start. It has some well known Monk tunes on it and it's him with probably his best band line up.
Yes, he's one of my all time favorites.

Robin Eubanks has been up there for me lately. His chops are on a whole new level.

Does anybody have any good recs for non-USA jazz from this year?

Finnish jazz from 2017:

Olli Hirvonen - New Helsinki (OK, this is Americans apart from Hirvonen, but still)
Jukka Perko Tritone - Dizzy
Raoul Björkenheim Triad - Beyond
Jukka Eskola Soul Trio - Jukka Eskola Soul Trio
OK:KO - Land E,
Jaska Lukkarinen Trio - Origami
Aki Rissanen/Robin Verheyen/Markku Ounaskari - Aleatoric: Songs for Solstice

I believe everything is on Spotify except for the Björkenheim Triad album.

Hey Jazzpossu. How's life?

:D

there are occasionally people posting about Finnish jazz that are not me, you know

I wasn't even the one who posted Five Corners Quintet in this thread earlier!

this guy writes good reviews of European jazz and has reviewed quite a few from this year
rateyourmusic.com/collection/Jazzis/strm_relyear/2017/1

seems like a good resource - Polish jazz is pretty interesting and you don't hear about new polish releases that much

It usually is tho. Not that I'm complaining, Nordic jazz that isn't Fire! and co. is tragically underrepresented.

I still have no idea how the Angles 9 album has gotten so much attention this year - haven't really seen it much in Nordic jazz media

I guess people are just following new Clean Feed releases - not a bad thing

I don't remember if I ever plugged pic related before, but it's a Finnish group for anyone looking for more avant-minded Nordic large ensemble music

open.spotify.com/album/7aAy0mv8r8PNbyTlXTnjRf
youtube.com/watch?v=PrKhL9Zxyzg
youtube.com/watch?v=FhrvXwl3ENc
youtube.com/watch?v=aHsWigpaghY

here's a cool French one

open.spotify.com/album/0Wy8WCEASfJR4vR2XhwOIZ

and something from Norway I've been listening to lately

youtube.com/watch?v=-u8uNWIroJQ

for anyone who's been digging the spiritual jazz revival type stuff coming out of the UK like Matthew Halsall's Gondwana Orchestra, Shabaka Hutchings or Nat Birchall, here's one coming out in June to look out for

singer Dwight Trible himself is an American and worked with the likes of Pharoah Sanders and Horace Tapscott, but I believe this is an all British band and the album is coming out on Halsall's tiny Gondwana Records label out of Manchester

essentially a contemporary Leon Thomas without the yodeling

youtube.com/watch?v=8fjbRtz4Oho

dude, i just dont like chick in general. something about his language lacks color to me. you can like whatever you want and obviously when talking about someone thats regaurded as a jazz great im not passing value judgements. just what his playing makes me feel.
many thanks my man!
pic related is good.

also, for the thread. i really love this video right now. youtube.com/watch?v=yhpKRJYZPUE

I'm curious about the Dave Holland recordings. Especially the 60th birthday concert - is that any good?

Also did you make the covers yourself? They're pretty cool.

I study with him and talk to him pretty frequently and will be performing with him in the fall (hopfully, he hired me but i will be in Amsterdam the whole 4th quarter of this years so i have to fly back). do you want an over view kind of thing where i say my main recc from each band he was in or do you want to tell me other music you like and i can tell you what you think youll like. ive listened to most of his discography by now but there is stuff i dont know.

I like a lot of Chick's stuff myself - some of it feels like a guilty pleasure though. I'll go see him live at every opportunity.

in general about Sup Forums and Chick, I'd say albums with his own name on the cover are generally quite liked here up to A.R.C or so, his work with Miles is well respected and people who like fusion like the early Return to Forever albums

over here in Finland, with musicians born in the 70's Chick's more latin and later fusion stuff was incredibly influential in retrospect - My Spanish Heart type stuff and also the more questionable 80's fusion. There's like a whole generation of musicians who were grown up on that stuff, so you hear echoes of it quite a bit. Spain and Armando's Rhumba have to be up there for most loved and well known standards originally recorded after the 60's with local musicians and jazz fans.

Controversy more than anything else I'd say. Same deal with Kamasi, though he also had the Flylo endorsement going for him.

The DH Quintet recordings are all good. I treasure those since they just have a way different energy live verses in the studio. And since they don't play together anymore... still hoping for a reunion tour/shows or something though.

The 60th birthday concert is interesting- a good bit of it is kinda duet with Jim Hall and it's not really that great IIRC, but when the parts where Kenny Wheeler joins in are good. Then the second half is pretty cool because it's basically the quintet but with Jason Moran on piano filling in for Steve Nelson. It's the only time they had piano in the group as far as I know.

there's nothing Finnish people love more than hearing what people in other countries think about us, so just askin' if you've heard this one with Mikko Innanen on sax whose large ensemble stuff I linked to earlier?

I personally got to know Parker through his work with David S. Ware FWIW

Well damn, now I want to hear all of them. If it's not a pain in the ass anyway.

Jim Hall and Kenny Wheeler was what attracted me to the birthday gig, so glad the bits where they're together are good.

i love the David S. Ware quartet. do you have a favorite drummer for the band, out of curiosity? I dont know that record but it looks fantastic and i love Cyrille. i dont think i know the sax player at all. i will listen to this later if i can find it. Currently listening to 5 miles records for a paper i gotta write.

>some of it feels like a guilty pleasure though
He's such a good guilty pleasure though. Pic related is like the poster child for poorly aged, but I think it's actually really entertaining because of how disgustingly 80s it is. Some of it is legit kind of epic if you can get over how much some of the synths and melodic ideas sound like they came straight off the Mario Cart soundtrack too.
I also love imagining them dancing like robots like in:
youtube.com/watch?v=CnAtaneReNI&ab_channel=chikaipon
Who thought this was a good idea?

hmh. an interesting observation - very different from Kamasi in pretty much every way, but there is a locally controversial angle to it for sure

basically Innanen himself is an Ornette Coleman -type player with one foot rooted in bebop-tradition, but also an affinity for free jazz - the rest of the band is a mix of more avant-garde players with also some players who are known for their melodic and groovy material like Verneri Pohjola and Jukka Eskola, so there's an element of bringing some more mainstream players out of their comfort zones.

basically it's music in the ICP / Globe Unity Orchestra vein; in the US, stuff Ken Vandermark would be involved in is the closest thing - critics and long time afficionados love it, casual jazz fans and larger audiences don't care at all

Has anyone else heard this /rarepaul/?

do you know anything about the scene in amsterdam? i will be studying at pic related for the fall semester.

Here's the Birthday recording

Dave Holland- 60th Birthday Concert

www63.zippyshare.com/v/pQcDphRL/file.html

Literally fuck the Dutch

Innanen hasn't really made a breakthrough in the States so I'm not surprised - he has multiple albums out on TUM Records that has some visibility, but TUM (wisely) doesn't really put marketing behind the Finnish lead releases in the US, just the stuff with Americans like Wadada as the main act.

I think he's done some studies in New York and for many years he'd spend months there just composing and playing with local people. Go ask the guys at Downtown Music Gallery and they'll know him and have some records Mikko has personally brought there for sale, but that's as close to US fame he has in reality, I think. :D

As for drummers with Ware, I guess I have to say Susie Ibarra - she was at the very least the most interesting one in terms of me checking out other projects she was involved with.

And here's the DHQ at JazzBaltica... maybe the best of the bootlegs I have? Chicago is also very good.

Dave Holland Quintet- JazzBaltica 2003

www63.zippyshare.com/v/GJyjGFVE/file.html

yeah it's really good

Yeah. I like hearing post-Jarrett Gary Peacock with Paul because he always brings out the best in Gary to my ears.

as far as I know Bimhuis is one of the greatest jazz venues operating today, so there's that

the scene seems good, although from the Nordic perspective it doesn't look like a major hub for new stuff like Rhythmic Music Conservatory in Copenhagen does for example

since you're a Parker -student, you should fit in well though. The Dutch have a long history of appreciating free expression.

A decent number of local musicians I know have done some studies there and it certainly should be a respectable school, but not a place that seems like a hot spot of new interesting groups in Europe to me, but that is likely to Nordic/German/Francophone scenes being pretty small and local for the free/avant stuff that I believe Amsterdam should be strong in.

a lot more stuff from Hat Hut is now available on Spotify lately after they were acquired (as I posted about this week...), so I've been checking that out

just listening to this now, beautiful stuff