How fucked am I? I only know a few words which I will list below:

>arigato
>gomenasai
>sumimasen
>konnichiwa
>nansai desuka
>kirei
>onegaishimasu

I'm going to be in Japan pretty fucking soon, and I can't speak the language for shit. What do I do? I hope I don't get sent back for being a fuckwit.

Just buy a language guide book from dymocks or other chain. Ffs cunt its not that hard

What's the level you shoud get?

>nansai desuka

most white japanese ever man

its like as wrong as "whats your age"
sure its correct, but so wrong at the same time

could always kill yourself, since its in japan, its pretty normal

Duo lingo app. Get yourself basic convo skills and act retarded.

High enough that I can speak and understand what the professor is saying. And unless they only use the words I know, and they say them slowly, I won't understand shit.

Nigga I don't think I'll be able to be flicking through a language book while in class fast enough.

So I probably sounded pretty stupid when I asked a bunch of girls that question?

I plan on doing that once I've finished my Bachelor's desu.

Duolingo doesn't have Japanese unfortunately.

You can't pick up an Asian language from a book like that if your a western speaker, the language is way too unfamiliar. Your fucked op. If you find alot of them laughing until you come near, that's them making fun of you.

/ t / has language pack torrrents, one is japanese, check it out faggot

I think you can speak basic Japanese soon if you study and talk with Japanese because Japanese pronunciation is easy but writting is hard.
I see many foreign people can speak our language but they can't write and read.(except Korean and Chinese.it's difficult as English people.)

If you only know a handful of words from an anime convention and don't even know how to write them in hiragana, you're pretty fucked.

Japanese is sufficiently different from English that you can't just memorize words and apply a cipher like you can for European languages. The grammar, writing system, and even a number of cultural assumptions are different. For instance, if I said "do you not want to go?" and you answered "no" in English, that would mean "no, you do not want to go". In Japanese it means "no, your statement is incorrect, I do not NOT want to go -- I want to go"

As the language is extremely different from English, you basically have to start your learning at level 0 -- just like when you first learned English. There's no good shortcuts and you can't skip a few steps since you already know grammar and the alphabet. So think about how long it took you to learn English. Were you fluent at 1 year old? 2 years old?

It probably took 4-5 years before you would consider yourself fluent. Before then you talked like a retarded toddler.

That's how you'll sound in Japan. You need 4-5 years of study to speak with any level of proficiency.

Actually, "nansai desu ka" is the correct way to ask someone for their age in Japan. Yes, it translates word-for-word to "what age are you?", which sounds weird in English, but that just proves my point: there's different cultural assumptions in Japan.

cont.

All of this said, I don't think you're that fucked. English is very popular in Japan, so almost everyone under age 30 speaks it there. You can easily find people to help you with your studies, and the professors will likely work with you. But you need to work HARD.

Japan has a much more rigorous school system than almost any other country. They have more homework, more tests, and harder homework and harder tests. And on top of that you'll also need to be CONSTANTLY studying and practicing Japanese if you want to keep up.

You aren't going to get deported or anything, but prepare for the most intense months of study in your life.

Fake it till u make it

Fucking Japs, I hope they're not too rude.

Thanks user, I'll check it out.

Ah fuck, I completely forgot about the fact that I need to fucking read and write Japanese too. Holy shit I'm so fucked.

Well shit, should I just not catch my flight? But if I do that then my university is going to be pretty pissed about wasting $16,000 on me.

Im from japan..
nansai desuka... wtf dude, who says that.

more natural, common way to ask is like, "kimi, anata, etc etc ikutsu?", like if you translate it, what number are you, ish.

nansai desuka is just kinda wrong with anyway you put it..

Be a man and own up to it. Skipping your flight is both a coward's move and theft from the university.

If you're paranoid, talk to a school counselor. Explain that you're nervous about going and you don't feel you have a high enough level of Japanese proficiency. Say that you didn't think you'd be accepted and you exaggerated on the application. They'll appreciate the honesty and they'll find a secondary applicant to send to Japan.

If you want the experience, start practicing. Now.

People in Japan will understand if you can't read or write kanji. It's well-known and accepted by everyone that it's hard as fuck and foreigners suck at it. But if you can't read and write hiragana then you'll be lost the moment you get off the plane. Fortunately that's only about 50 symbols to learn instead of 2000 -- and a lot of those symbols are just previous symbols with modifiers ("po" is just "ho" with a circle in the top-right)

Go or don't, but don't be a pussy about it. Own up to what you've done like a man.

Just go for it it will be a laugh, its all fun weather you fail or succeed. It will be a great story, your young and you can do this kinda shit. Go for it user.

I studied for four years and did a summer abroad in Akita. From what i learned "nansai" is the formal Tokyo-dialect way to ask. "Ikutsu" is informal, also Tokyo-dialect.

In Akita-dialect it was "umurmu berapa". Although everyone is Akita sounds like a fucking hillbilly and I couldn't understand 90% of what they said.

It's like when they teach Castilian Spanish in school then you go to Mexico and learn that no one actually says "donde esta el bano?"

>I completely forgot about the fact that I need to fucking read and write Japanese too. Holy shit I'm so fucked.
lol.I think it's difficult to read and write Japanese for one year as English people.....Good luck
By the way,You can know what this sentence mean?(I make the sentence now).
田中先生:明日は大学に行って何するの?
木村:明日は特に予定はないので、家でゆっくりしようと思います。
田中先生:なら明日研究室に来て資料の整理手伝ってもらえないかな?突然で申し訳ないんだけれど
木村:いいですよ!では明日先生の研究室に伺わせて頂きます。
田中先生:わざわざ悪いね。ありがとう。

"ikutsu" is a normal way to ask for age in japan, trust me, it can be formal or informal depending on how you say it.
"kimi ikutsu?" is imformal, but "anata wa ikutsu nandesuka, or if you wanna be super formal, you can use word like "otoshi". "...san no otoshi ikutsu nandesuka?"

"kimi nansai" is like only acceptable when you are speaking to children, if you say "nansai desuka" is like talking to children in a formal language, which doesnt really make sense.

>they'll find a secondary applicant

This. There's probably legitimate people with at least 1yr of Japanese on the waiting list behind you. Just say you wrote "fluent" because you were really excited and you thought your skill was enough, but you've been watching online lectures in Japanese an don't think you are anywhere near proficient enough to follow.

Nope, I have absolutely no idea what any of that says.

I have lived here for like 8 months now and still am not at University level while studying it at a top University so you are pretty fucked. Speaking it is really the easy part, good fucking luck reading and writing at Uni level XD

Just pretend like you know what's going on.

use italki, there you'll find a lot of cheap Japanese teachers.

But you need to understand what university professors says in the class?
If so,you have to understand what this sentences means in voice.(It's far more easy than read and write,and the sentence is normal)

>when they teach Castilian Spanish in school

This is always so fucked up to me. Why in the USA do they do this? The vast majority of the world's Spanish-speaking population is in SA, as are almost all of those whom an American will encounter. Furthermore, it's not like Spain is some world or even regional power -- it was a Fascist shithole until nearly 1980, and it's not even a blip on the EU or NATO power-player radar.

Castillian Spanish being taught in US schools is literally 100% a product of white people acting white. They take "field trips" to fucking Spain to help learn Spanish. Nobody teaching it is actually from Spain -- they're all shitty-accented American speakers anyway.

Japanese is way too hard for Americans to learn. There's no point in trying unless you plan on living there. Especially reading and writing. You're fucked op.

OP isn't American you dumbass, he is Australian. They are way smarter.

Yeah, I hope the professors don't ask the students questions or whatever, I'm going to try and stay hidden for a little while during class.

I'd definitely like to live there, it's probably the best country I've ever been to. But since I'm going there for a year free of charge and to study for the time being, I'm going to have to find a way to learn good enough Japanese extremely quickly.

Yeah whatever. Go jack off to hentai you faggot.

Oi yellow skin. He doesn't understand any japanese at all

You're gonna be a whitey, you'll stick out like a sore thumb

>They are way smarter.

lol no. Any country that both makes indefinite room for agriculture, ruralists, and "outdoorsmen" while granting them equal political rights will be as stupid or more so than the U.S.. That's just how it is.

Learn how to put on yellowface. Watch Breakfast At Tiffany's for tips. Buckteeth are a godsend.

It will soon though! Next few months.

uhhh.... You have to say that actually, I can't understand Japanese at all...
Why did you claim that you fluently speak Japanese?

It was pretty stupid of me to say that, I know. I wanted to increase my chances of getting accepted. There are two different exchange programs, one to study an English course in Japan, and one to study a Japanese course. I was expecting to get into the English course but I ended up in the Japanese and it's most likely because I said I was fluent in Japanese.

Why would you want to speak like a beaner anyway? Teachers are doing you a favor teaching you proper Spanish.

Whats your major user

lol.uhhhhhhh....well,what's the plan?

I'm currently studying a Bachelor of Law, and plan/planned on studying the same course offered by the University of Tsukuba.

No idea desu.

つくばか 茨城とか俺の住んでる所からはだいぶ遠いな

Nah, my bro went to Argentina for a six month program and just picked up on the language from friends and his host family. Not a big deal but I bet you'll seriously wished you had studied some first

.... If you were a math major then you could get by without understanding japanese.

But you are studying law, which is essentially a study of language. You're fucked.

pretty fucked, but luckily Japanese is an easy language as far as speaking and listening is concerned. Learning to read/write kanji will take you years of hard study though, good luck.

>somehow my knowledge of Japanese isn't questioned
Because Japanese are honest, goody two-shoes people. From their perspective they probably feel like they don't need to ask because "why would someone tell a lie?"

I'm sure you could find something else to do there instead.

Fuck.

If u make a solid Effort learn 5 new words a day ull be speaking Japanese with in 2 months

かなりFUCKEDですよねお前は

法律専攻するのに日本語コース選んだのか・・・
日本語全く分からないんじゃなかなか難しそうだな
日本人の俺でも法律の講義は難しいのに 難解な言葉ばっかり
まああれだ 頑張れよ 応援するわ

Since I'm already in a Bachelor of Law course, I'm only allowed to take the same or the most similar course the University in Japan offers.

You wouldn't even be able to get through a first grade maths class let alone that shit

learn to need words all are yes language you know.

The thing is the law is not Japanese?
What's the law you will study?

Just say "yappari", "manko" and "so desu ne" alot while appearing to be in deep thought.

Cant forget naru hodo

>"manko
lol

12 year old detected

I often use まあその(ma sono) and えーと(eto) and あのー(ano) and やっぱり(yappari) and 要するに(yosuruni) in deep thougt.

? me?

I always use "小学生ファックしたいなぁ" when I'm in deep thought

Are you fucking retarded? Why would you do this?

Your robot-like acute senses are a wonder, Gary-sama. Truly, the years you've spent on Mount Hekoki have paid off. I can only ask that you will consider teaching me your vast skills so that I might also fight for the truth!

You're fucking idiot, but you'll be a fucking idiot neck deep in teriyaki sauce.

lol
I will put them off if I say that.

>I guess it's unbelievable

>Well that umo that in the end

>I want to fuck elementary school student

I wanted to improve my chances of getting in, but I didn't think they'd put me in the Japanese-speaking course.

The Japanese are mysterious peopuru.

>I guess it's unbelievable
Why? We often use the words in deep thought(except manko.the word means pussy.the word is prohibited on radio or television.)

For one, that's your own fault you said you were fluent, but that's not my problem. If I were you, study your ass off on any free Japanese learning shit you can find online, study the culture, and just learn more Japanese than you think you can. Because you're foreign, and because you are from Australia, and I'm assuming that it's common for Australia and Japanese shit to happen like this, but everyone is different. If it's year long, you should have no problem after a few months. It's proven that if you have no idea how to speak a language, and then you are suddenly put into an environment that has the foreign language all around you, after about nine months to a year, you become pretty fluent in the language. Language barriers are really difficult to deal with, but even though I have spent a year in China with little to no experience in mandarin Chinese, I came back pretty fluent. Good luck.

Is it closer to "pussy" or "cunt" in offensiveness? Guessing it's the latter?

Start studying jap 14 hours a day fuccboi

I always say this to impress Japanese girls
私はあなたの嫌いな人のうち糞を食べたいです

I don't understand because I'm not native English speaker.
But I think the word is closer to pussy because the word not contain the mean that insult. The word is the most indecent word which many people know and is famous. You had better not to use the wrod マンコ(manko) when you talk with persons(I use the word only when I talk with friends of male).

I like you

Alright, appreciate the answer. Don't worry, I might be a 南蛮 but I have some manners.

Clearly to learn the language, being in the country helps.

な、なんだよ急に・・・
・・・キスして欲しいのか俺に?///

ok.And 南蛮人 is a old word in 16C.

The years go by so quickly...

Yeah....let's manko!