Thoughts? I think it's /comfy/ af

Thoughts? I think it's /comfy/ af

thats how I feel about most of his work desu

It's nice indeed to see an emerging artist doing such comfy music

V comfy and perfect for summer kick backs with bros. last songs sad though :(

>/comfy/
Reminder that if you use music as entertainment you're the equivalent of capeshit fags.

>abloobloobloo, everything that's ever made is supposed to make you feel like shit

don't even bother giving these people (you)s

I don't like the aproach that much, I'm still waiting on Salad Days 2. Nonetheless it's still good, probably his best lyrics by far and the sads ones are really sad.

A. Pop music is the music equivalent of superhero movies
B. Who cares? Fun music and movies aren't inherently worse than sad music and movies, just for different crowds. Just because you can enjoy it on a base level doesn't mean its bad

It's comfy in a sad way. Like it's a great album to listen to if you just got broken up with or someone you know passed away.

Nice pop music for easy listening.

>Pop music is the music equivalent of superhero movies
That was exactly my point.

my favourite album from mac so far, reminds me of highschool. moonlight on the river best song

I would classify him as Slacker Rock, but even if you define him as pop, my second point still stands.

>Who cares?
Obviously you're not smart enough to care.

I like it. It's definitely not up beat at all so people who liked his dancable songs are disappointed. It sounds close to Some Other Ones but with vocals.

I think he tried a more chill and less effect induced approach on this one. Whereas Salad days had alot of those effects on his voice and more use of synth music, I like this change to acoustic and plain vocals.

"Comfy" is a vacant concept because it simply denotes enjoyment. It doesn't contain any sense of quality or merit and can not be used as a comparative measure. Using "comfy" as the prime metric is merely retreating into limp post-modern relativism where sitting around blowing raspberries is held to be every bit as good as mastering a musical instrument, writing the great American novel, developping a mathematical theorem or solving complex problems. "Comfy" is the term people turn to when they've run out of arguments.
If someone says the most important factor in music is to "feel comfy", it's a surefire sign that they understand nothing deeper and won't be invested in anything music-related in say 4-5 years. Their taste will be a shallow collection of 'chill' albums, and while they listen to music they'll be on their phones half the time and spouting memes on r/indieheads the rest.
I avoid listening to music with anyone who throws the term 'comfy' around casually. I look for listeners who have a bit of depth. If they say something like "I enjoy challenging arrangements" then I know I'm talking to someone who is not an idiot. If they just say "Lol i listen to music 4 le comfiness XDDDDD" then I am talking to another retard who probably likes Mac Demarco, Tame Impala, Washed Out,Slow Magic, Homeshake, Varsity, Com Truise, the list goes on... and their influence will only be negative.

I'm not really getting all the talk about him switching to acoustic guitars on this one. If anything he switched to more synths are chose to have the guitars play much less of a role.

Dude just stop thinking, smoke some weed and chill lmao xD

>"Comfy" is a vacant concept because it simply denotes enjoyment

Incorrect. "Comfy" denotes that the album is well suited to a comfortable, relaxing environment.

>Using "comfy" as the prime metric

Nobody does this. The term comfy is simply used to describe music that is well suited to a relaxing environment, as stated above. Sometimes, listeners such as myself get in the mood for something relaxing that is also of a high quality, which is when they look for comfy albums. Nobody rates albums based on how comfy they are, rather, people look for good albums that are also comfy for listening in a relaxing environment.

>If someone says the most important factor in music is to "feel comfy"

Nice strawman. But I'm pretty sure no one says this.

>If they say something like "I enjoy challenging arrangements" then I know I'm talking to someone who is not an idiot.

You can enjoy challenging arrangements and also listen to some comfy music conducive to a relaxing environment from time to time as well. The two are not mutually exclusive.

My most listened too genres of music are punk and metal, but every once and a while I look for and appreciate a quality comfy album to suit a relaxing mood, while also providing me with the joy that comes from listening to good music.

this is my favourite copy pasta from now on

This oddly enough sounds like me when I was 16 and read Camus and Sartre for the first time. I felt like the snobbiest snob of literature and would have a disgraceful look into the person who said his/her favourite writer was Asimov for instance and not Kundera.
Then again I was 16 and retarded, still am not, but at least self-conscious about it.

thanks a lot for the (You)s guys :)

>tripfag
>posts pasta
>brags about all the (You)'s he's getting

I listened to a few of the songs on youtube and it sounds like all his other songs except with some acoustic guitar.

It also linked me to some other bands that literally sound EXACTLY like mac demarco. Like apparently there's a whole army of mac clones out there. All with the same "chill bro" vibe and guitars drowned in chorus. Is this some new movement now? Is mac demarco like a cult leader for this shitty new tumblr-core indie scene? Or are today's youth musicians just completely devoid of any originality at all?

thanks for the (You) but who are you quoting?

Do you not realize that your precious (You)'s are canceled out once you reply back to someone? Dumbass

@72665942
fuck I didnt know

I am an idiot though.

I don't even know what a melody is.

I know it's not Sup Forums related, but coud you explain to me why Kundera is better than Asimov? Any recs?

If you would ask 16yo me, I would find pointless arguments as in "sci fi is not real /lit/!!, Kundera has untouchable and grandiose metaphors combined with Kafkaesque archetypes!!"
But now honestly I enjoy every book that is:
1) not John Green
2) a book where hard work and motivation are present to satisfy the reader fully even when the author knows the book is not great by literary standards

For the recs: read what you enjoy, doesn't matter if its Asi or Kundera, as long as it holds its ground with some fleshed ideas, whatever floats your boat.

I'll be honest I share your current opinion (which is kind of the opposite of Sup Forums's usual opinions).
Guess I'll have to read about him first haha. I kind of expected you to just recommend me a short story or something that you liked. :P

It's definitely grown on me, but in kind of a depressing way.

Oh then start with "The unbearable lightness of being". Definitely one of his better works, it's a bit long but honestly its worth the shot and easy to read! Laughable loves is a collection of seven stories, also really good!

if you're talking about the album then yeah, it really does grow on your in a sad depicted kinda way, but I guess that was his intent and he's doing it really nicely!

Has shown any ambition yet, or does he repeat what he does best (which is honestly getting underwhelming)?

nope, still the same mac demarco, though you can find a few differences maybe good or bad, since salad days or 2, in the end he uses the same formula of "easy slacker songs"

I like This Old Dog, but if his next album doesn't do anything outside of his mold I won't be impressed. He's starting to mess with synths more, hopefully he can pull off something great with that.

Salad Days>2>SOME OTHER ONES>This Old Dog>Another One

Why the hate for Another One? The Way You'd Love Her is probably my favorite track from him.

i avoided him for a long time, and now i can get behind some of his stuff, but he seems like a really messed up guy
>no father
>has to cheer up family/become sort of man of the house
>writes songs about his father cooking meth
>has a kind of obnoxious party animal thing going that borders on aggressive
>songs are always like, "chill bro, everything's fine, i'm keeping it cool" then turns around and says he's dying inside
>fucking falls for the oldest trick of the book of an alcy/junkie "say goodbye i am le dying of cancer" and the lizard survives
>keeps importing new canadian dudebros into america, introducing the world to more samey lofi indie when other american bands need exposure (doesn't affiliate with other american musicians except for Tyler the Creator)
it's like the dude needs some kind of near death experience to be exorcised of his demons.

Anyone else get a tropicalia feel from the opening song?

Besides that song it's absolutely mediocre meandering mediocrity like everything else he's put out.

I still like him fsr

Mac is just the sad clown archetype. Love or hate the guy, he's got some problems. If his music didn't take off he'd probably be a homeless tweaker.

Yep, it's kind of sad that pretty much everybody takes him as a simple goofy guy.
It's clear that part of his attitude is because he's trying to make the best out of all the crap he goes through.

Another One title track is amazing.

i liked salad days but wasn't too excited when i heard This Old Dog, but i'm listening to the album now and it seems like that was just a bad track, the rest are pretty cool. don't know why that was the lead single

>what is funk music?

fuck off mu with your cancer taste

I love it. Too bad it's his last before he joins the club.

it's not that bad but very bland

Also great. I have no idea why he keeps writing break up songs though. The past two times I saw him live he seemed like he was in a very happy relationship.

there's always one that got away

I really liked him for a while, then I hated him, and now I realize he's just in the middle

one of my favorites by him. Still Beating was the best.

Probably his deepest album and a step in the right direction imo

Gets kind of boring and meshed up in the middle but that happens with most of his albums, he really needs to spice up his vocals because they get really monotonous after a while

It's a solid 6 or 7 like most of his albums, it's something i sometimes like to listen to but it's definitely not groundbreaking or really interesting, it's just some good chill music

Say this in ten words or less dweeb

shit

He barely tried

The only good part about this albums were the Instagram livestreams in his house