Anyone just lost all interest in video games as they got older?

Anyone just lost all interest in video games as they got older?

Other urls found in this thread:

i.4cdn.org/b/1490465848890.webm
youtu.be/Jnjb5lUy9yQ
youtube.com/watch?v=hTscHWb7u7w
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

not really but i don't find the old games i used to play fun anymore. like i don't have any desire to replay them.

Totally.

Older I get the harder it is for me to justify to myself how the fuck I can sit here for hours playing a video game and not accomplish one fuckin thing in Reality. I sold my console and bought it back cause I had this fine ass bitch coming by and I needed Netflix. But it's done nothing but sit there since. Cousin doesn't want it back. Kinda fucked myself on that deal. Not to mention the PSN is nothing but shitty little brats, euros, and unemployed niggers.

Less that I lost interest, more that I no longer have any fucking time to play them

I did for a while but after some time i got back into it i just lost the hype feel for games but csgo seems to fix that problem when im 1 on 5

I have another one of that guy reading a book on eating ass.

Found it.

Yes. Total videogame addict in highschool but lost interest when I got to college. I studied computer science and engineering and most of my colleagues became even more addicted, which made it even weirder that I wasn't into it anymore...

happened around 12-13 yrs old.

>troll book jackets
I have got to try this!

Totally.
Once I attended college and started meeting more people, I gained interest in real-life activities. I realized that videogames don't help me to gain anything valuable.
I used to be an addict up to high school, but now I cannot force myself to sit down for 5 minutes to play any game.
Once you start going outside and becoming active, the thought of sitting inside to play a game makes you feel depressed.

Yeah one day I got a wild hair up my ass and bought a new console with some good games to keep myself busy. This was maybe a year ago and I have time to play them but I rarely ever have the desire to play them

Congratulations, my Sup Forumsrother. You are free of that burden. Now if you can stop giving a fuck about needing a woman every 5 minutes, you'll have reached a higher level of freedom, and the list goes on.

You're just burning out, OP. Vidya's a form of entertainment. You're not entertained because other things entertain you more. You'll get back to vidya after some time.
>I know I always do.

rekt thread
i.4cdn.org/b/1490465848890.webm

yeah
its not that i dont like games anyore
its that i cannot ignore the fact anymore that my life is crap, all my friends are in a relationships or married and have careers. How could i lay down and relax playing games, knowing i shouldnt have time for them....

im with you bro
I figure ill enjoy life the best I can. still love vidya though I dont have a ton of time like I used to.

I lost about 90% of my interest, but I don't think it's because I matured or because I got older. I think video games legitimately got worse.

In the 80's and 90's you didn't have the internet for pushing patches to games, so a game had to be fully bug-tested and good enough to play the first time around. And sure, almost every game on the market still had bugs -- but they were minor bugs and sometimes they made the game more fun.

With the internet people can not push shoddy half-finished games and just keep patching it for years to come. Sometimes they even patch out the fun parts! You had a bug that you enjoyed exploiting on your single-player game and they decided to patch it out .... because... because why? It wasn't like you were stealing money or hurting an online MMO economy. It was literally a single-player game and they changed it after you bought it. That'd be like if my microwave manufacturer came in and started fucking with my microwave randomly.

Also tools like Steam and Unity3D have allowed one-off developers or teams of 3-4 to pump out shitty games every week in an attempt to bring in some pennies in an over-saturated market. More open-world games, more sandboxes, more puzzle games, more idle games,... Everyone wants a piece of the pie. Used to it was a handful of multi-million dollar publishers spending 3 to 10 YEARS on a game. Now it's a bunch of rag-tag assholes pumping out shitty games in 3 weeks and hoping to trick some bastard into bankrolling them with micro transactions.

Even the newest Zelda game is shit. They spent 2 years on it, then spent another 2 years porting it to the Switch -- 6 months of which was spent REMOVING features from the game that were Wii U only (they removed all touchscreen interaction) because they didn't want to punish people for buying a Switch. It's a bunch of half-baked mechanics thrown together with no relation to one another in a shitty generated world with little art or creativity to it.

Simply no time anymore.. love is still there but a mere 15-20 min a day nowadays.. I hate myself sometimes for being the pussyfoot cuck that I am giving into all these fucking demands for the sake of the pussy.

>in a relationship or married

You should feel sorry for them, for they are in prison.

Yea... it lost its magic and at the same time is better to spend your time trying to get girls do you can get your dick wet

Somewhat, yea. I usually only stick to one or two games now, and I haven't bought a new game in two years.

Used to play Unreal Tournament and modded the shit out of that game. Custom servers and maps were also awesome. Nowadays most developers don't even include modding tools, so the gameplay is always the same and bland (see: current BF titles). On the other hand there's games out now like red Orchestra, Arma 3 and soon Rising Storm Vietnam. Couldn't even dream about that back when playing BF2. I'd say the market matured quite a bit, you just have to stick to the good games and not the average AAA filth.

Escapism doesn't work when you subconsciously realized you need to get in gear or fail altogether

Is it a burden though? Some of the best memories I have is playing video games with my buddies.

>Implying those friends wouldn't rather be a useless piece of shit playing videogames instead of being chained to a harpie, shit kids, a shit job and the sword of Damocles (divorce rape) hanging over their head.

Grass is always greener I guess. Have a good long talk with those friends, and you'll know why you're the one better off.

OP here, that is actually a pretty accurate description of me. The last time I really enjoyed playing a video game was when I was tripping on acid and had no worries for a few hours.

I still play my ps2 from time to time when I'm stressed out.

I have other real world hobbies that I enjoy more than games now. I would rather go out and do something in real life than sit on my ass looking at a screen.

Games can't really hold my interest like they used to.

Old fart here, I started with "Pong" as a kid in the 70's in arcades, and picked up a "Tank" console that hooked up to the tv. In the early 80's Pacman and Asteroids was great and I purcashed a "Trash 80" (TRS-80) which got me on BBS's and allowed me to play "Breakout", at the same time the Atari systems were out and Arcade gaming was big throughout the 80's. I picked up a Nintendo later on but switched to computer gaming after windows 95 came out. Duke nukem, shadow warrior, hexen, flight sims, Myst, Mech Warrior etc. Later on I went back console gaming (PS) and just picked up my "Brack friday bunduru" PS4 thingy. I still find time after work and weekends but it is tuff and considered more of a treat to sit down and play for an hour or two.

Good memories with buddies aren't a bad thing, but spending the majority of your days staring at a screen like I used to do is a recipe for disaster. I wasted ten years of my life playing video games. Now I'm free in more ways then one.

>That'd be like if my microwave manufacturer came in and started fucking with my microwave randomly.

I guarantee that's going to start happening at some point.

the only reason I play video games is for nostalgia. 26 years old, and I only play classic stuff.

Not too long ago I would sit down to a game and play it for like 5 hours straight. Now even if I have time to do that I don't play games for more than 1 or 2 hours at a time. It just feels like I've got more important things to attend to and wasting half a day on video games seems like a waste of time. Still love games, just finished Nioh recently and looking forward to playing the new dlc for dark souls 3 but I can't say I'm as excited about games anymore as I used to be, or get sucked into games for countless hours without realizing it.
>I'm 22 btw

HOLY SHIT, KEK!

how do I get in gear?

I enjoygames I just don't have as much time because I prioritize other things like going to the gym and stuff.

Before I'd play like 15-20 games a year. I had difficulty finding good games to play, now I only finish like 2-3 games a year and I have to decide what games I want to spend my time on ya know?

Also good on you op for making a somewhat original thread on this shit board. Like for real.

Escapism only works when you're dumb enough to not realise how fucked up you've made your life.

Unless you're successful, then you just go on holiday for the weekend and play some golf. I'm down to a +8 handicap which is pretty good for someone who barely tries.

Call of Duty is shit regardless though.

Basically once my PS3 burned out when I played gta v, I haven't touched another game but I definitely stopped playing games around high school.

Idk career, real estate, vehicles, wife, kid

yea, it became a buzzkill once I started smoking weed in high school. didnt want to have to be that focused on messing with a controller, doing the same shit over and over again.
music replaced video games, at least i'm producing something.

At first I tought it was because I grew older...

But I was WRONG.

The reason I lost interest in video games, friends, family, hobbies, movies, etc. is because of clinical depression. You simply lose interest in anything.

The worst is that you don't see it coming, or you try to convince yourself that it's totally normal because you're growing up.

The truth is that it's not normal to lose interest in hobbies you had been enjoying all your life. It's just depression... and there is no cure for it.

Ask yourself, do you feel happy when it's sunny outside? Or you feel the same wether it's raining or sunny?

Yes.
I lost all my interest in video games since 16 because I realised it's no a healthy hobby, that's all. Now instead of playing video games I read books.

I want to eat Andy Sixx' warm log of shit

Don't promote the wife and kid thing, nigger. He's trying to get his ass in gear, not get tied down in a pit of hell.

Yes, but I believe the interest loss was a result of lack of time for games.

you bought back your console... for netflix? are you fucking kidding me? you can get netflix on anything. my fucking tuna cans stream netflix

Screw this noise. I've been playing since I was 3. I accomplished more than enough on a daily basis with 11 yrs military. 3 college degrees in 3 years and I'm married to a pilot, she's a gamer too.

Idk, for me, a lot of games lost their magic with time. The whole illusion of nostalgia. There's still games which I fucking adore, Dark Souls is one of those. But these are far and few between.
Any of you fags miss the split-screen days?
Is it just me?
I feel like online killed multiplayer for me. It's still fun to play, but fuck, it's not the same as the shitshow my brothers and I used to play on Halo.

sadface

Every one of them save for Battlefield, which is weird because I'm a marine irl and you'd think I'd want to escape that shit but I don't. 294h scout on BF1 so far. 1.98kd 824spm

Can confirm. At one point I even lost my passion for cooking. Found it back somewhat, and have been dabbing in other hobbies like photography. But i still feel empty inside, so all that remains is uncontrolled hedonism, sex, booze and drugs

>It's just depression... and there is no cure for it

Come on, nigger, you know that's not true! There's a fuck load of natural healthy ways to sodomize depression. Stop being a faggot and rape depression in front of it's wife and kids.

Why live then?

The literal meaning of life is to pass on your genes and knowledge.

Lead by example and make 5 beautiful white babies then.

I wish I could.

I hate women and kids.

There is no actual meaning to life.

I get what you're saying, but I guess it just all boils down to individual goals. My goals just don't consist of having my balls chopped off and placed in a woman's purse.

I'm going to need some proof of either of these claims

KEK

>outta high school
>engaged to beautiful wonderful woman at 21
>spending all my time working hard to build a home for us
>have lost sight of gaming
>families go apeshit for some reason, we break up, terrible point in my life

wait a minute...I'm single again

>dump shit job, go back to college for engineering/programming
>have nice part time job in tech
>go out with friends and do stupid shit till 4am in the morning
>play vidya and dnd anytime I want
>spend all my money on tabletop games, pokemon cards, any shit I want to

No, I never got sick of it...I just thought I did when my life became something else.

I had an issue very similar to this in my interests. Took me way too long to consider depression. Like the better part of a decade. Anyway, I'm on a St John's Wort supplement that seems to help. It's not numbing like the SSRIs. I'd recommend it, but it isn't a magic pill. It's a slow climb, but one day you'll notice that you feel an excitement or rush that you thought you lost forever in something you love.

I started working out daily and haven't been depressed since.

came here to post this. the rising popularity of consoles is really to blame. they can pump out any kind of garbage they want, sell shit loads of copies, DLC, map packs, etc. and then clone the whole thing with slightly better graphics = new title.

games used to be good. retro gaming is a thing because older games came from an era where developers really put their creativity to work. older games are more in depth, more challenging. they didn't concern themselves with making a game "accessible". compare daggerfall, all of it's complexity and depth, to say...... skyrim. play a classic shooter, like Duke Nukem 3D or Blood, and then call of duty. The designs just aren't there anymore. nothing challenges.

most games these days are made for 10-16 year olds. They don't have the attention span to really notice the sameness of every title, jumping from game to game and getting bored easily and mommy buys a new one.

Kids are okay, they're still innocent. But women despite their soft appearance can be true ice queens, a side of them I'd rather avoid. So casual sex it is.

Well the purpose of life is procreation, continuation of the genes. All what comes with it, including happiness and suffering, is unimportant. That said I'm not wasting my life building a card house that will be torn down when my wife decides to cash out. Nor will I be Beta Bob who picks up the pieces with a so called "reformed" whore.

The most basic instinct in all life is to procreate.
It may be philosophically irrelevanf in the long term, but at some point the fact that you're the end of your hundred thousand year old lineage as a human has to hit, hard.

Still playing vidya, but definitely not keeping up with what's new and hip anymore.

I used to be on the cutting edge back in high school. Had a Dreamcast and a shit ton of pirated games when everyone else my age were still playing PS1 and N64. I got a great deal of joy bringing friends and classmates over and showing off the latest and greatest. Ended up befriending all the arcade rats, who were thrilled with being able to come over and play arcade-perfect ports of their favourite fighting games without shelling out quarters. I was swimming in all the free weed i could smoke. I was the King Of Fighters. Times were good.

Now I'm an adult, with shit to do. No time to practice. No patience for these timesink Bethesda RPGs that seemingly every other gamer splooges their pants over. Certainly can't put in enough time to compete in any online game.

I was into Street Fighter 4 last gen, but my glory days of fighting were over. I never got to a competitive level. And I've only played SF5 once. Couldn't get into it. Every other Street Fighter felt like it built off of the one before it. SF4 felt perfectly natural when I played it for the first time because i had played 2, 3, Alpha, etc, but 5 feels like a completely different game. Even simple bread-and-butter block strings that i relied on in previous games aren't even a thing anymore. Fuck it, im done, i don't have the time or patience to relearn Street Fighter from step 1.

These days I mostly stick with quick pick-up-and-play games that don't require much dedication. I thoroughly enjoyed Not A Hero when i got it for free from PSN, while my copies of Uncharted 4 and Fallout 4 have been gathering dust after I tried them for maybe an hour or two each.

I still occasionally pick up the latest releases of my favourite old franchises like Zelda and Metal Gear, but I still haven't finished Phantom Pain, and I'm only on my 12th heart in BotW. Meanwhile, my young roommate is on his 3rd playthrough.

Picket up swimming, better than any therapy.

Ya i lost interest around the time i started college. I got a lot more social and did real life activities. I saw a friend the other day and i played some vidya with him but got bored after 5 mins.

youtu.be/Jnjb5lUy9yQ

the last game to get me really intrested was reccttear

You, my friend, live a pretty nice life. May you get your cock sucked and asshole licked for many years to come.

>there's no cure for it

Maybe, just maybe, you can try antidepressants. With a low NNT (5-9, depending on the study), it's almost guaranteed that by taking your fucking meds, you'll get better.

As an example:
Everyone and their fucking dog is taking antihypertensive drugs right now, but the overall NNT for heart attacks is 101-568.

That means that 1 dude in 101 will not get a heart attack, and 100 will, even though the treatment is supposed to stop that from happening.

I could go on rambling about memestatistics, but the bottom line is: you're part of a generation that romanticize depression, and where everyone has "treatment-resistant depression", just because they stopped treatment before the 2-6 weeks it starts working.

Tl;dr: stop being a tumblrina, if you have depression go to a doctor and take your fucking meds.

Once already. Shortly after Mortal Kombat Trilogy or Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 (whichever was later) I just felt like I'd done it all. I'd burned thousands of hours on Pong, Yar's Revenge, Tetris, Mario, Pole Position, Street Fighter, Jump-Man, Wolfenstein, Doom, etc. MK was the last game I was still *into*, and then I just didn't care anymore and thought I'd never go back to being a gamer.
Then, in 1999 I came home from work and a friend of my wife's was in the living room playing Resident Evil 2 and my jaw just dropped. Then came Final Fantasy 7, Tekken 3, Megaman Legends, Armored Core, Metal Gear Solid, Soul Reaver and there I was being a full-on gamer again.

That was a long time ago, though. MGS4 was underwhelming and MGSV was run into the ground by its own money-grind mechanics. I dropped FF at X (started but never finished). After years of Tekken, Street Fighter Alpha, and K.O.F., MVC3 was kidmode. Resident Evil 4 dropped the resource-management and never picked it back up again in favor of having the Castlevania shopkeeper follow you everywhere to sell you more ammo. Pro Skater went stale and the silly grocery cart challenges with Bam Margera just emphasized the fact that the franchise had nothing new to offer in terms of its core mechanic. Grand Theft Auto crams more and more mini-games, date sims, and other irrelevant bullshit that choked off the joy of just getting in a car and rampaging.

I've recently started playing The Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time on Gamecube (never got into it before because of stupid N64 controller) and it's got me wanting to play A Link To The Past as well, so maybe I'm not ready to drop gaming again quite yet.

Fuck meds, you don't treat the symptoms, you treat the cause. Just taking chill pills won't fix your life, fixing your life will.

Favourite depressed oldfag vidya?

Just do some fucking burpees and sprint every day, and you'll cure your depression.

original Deux Ex by far

Other worthy additions would be Return to castle Wolfenstein, Quake, Unreal Tournament, Diablo II, Planetscape Torment, C&C series

Multiplayer OG Doom

Yeah, it took me over a year to finish Arkham Knight. I bought Fallout 4 at the same time and haven't even started it yet. Or Witcher 3 or about a half dozen other games.

youtube.com/watch?v=hTscHWb7u7w

I spent so many hours on that, playing by myself and not worrying about anything.

I haven't played a game in 5 years.

Witcher 3 is already classic.

Jesus holy fuck you've hit the nail on the head. I loved games 3 years ago but growing up and having my mom literally hate me and keep trying to force me out the door everytime i stepped in. Had many games that i dont even bother playing because i try to convince myself im just not in the mood or ill enjoy playing it later and when it comes to playing i lose interest then just smoke weed and watch the ricky gervais show or something... You may just be right user

This desu

>old vidya

kids these days

my nigga

Again, some of you guys need to see the difference between "being depressed" and Clinical Depression.

You're depressed when you lose your gf, a relative dies, you get bad grades at school, you don't get enough sun, you come from an exotic trip back to a shithole, etc. This is totally normal for most people, but if it lasts too long, they give you pills to not feel sad and to numb you instead.

Clinical Depression, on the other hand, is when your brain has been exposed to sad thoughts for too long, so in order to protect itself, it completely shuts down the emotional center of the brain.

The brain sees that these sad thoughts are bad for your instinctive primal goals (find food, protect wife and children) so it numbs you down. You''re not sad anymore, but at the same time you're not happy. You become indifferent to any external emotional stimulus.

For example, coming home to discover my mom has been murdered and chopped into pieces will have the same emotional impact as if I had won the 40 million lottery...

I'd feel absolutely nothing!

And pills can only help in the first situation, to either numb you down a little or help your brain produce more serotonin.

But if your brain has shut down some connections, it's game over...

Yes and no

Been through a few periods where I was just like "fuck this" and spent a month away from them

But when a great game comes out (e.g. BF1) I can still get pretty hooked. It takes an exceptional game now, or a lot of weed. If I smoke I can play pretty much anything and have fun still.

It's just been these last few years, too. I can definitely feel the interest fading.

Star Wars: Rebellion.

I posted MGS2 and Doom :)

Variety is the spice of life. + those games are nearing their second decade

nice job with the pop psychology and a complete misrepresentation of how it all works.

but yeah, most faggots don't know that clinical depression isn't as simple as "lift weights and feel better".

it's a fucking chemical imbalance you chodes. take medicine or shoot yourself. both are valid options for clinical depression, both are definite cures, and both keep you from bitch, moaning, complaining, causing everyone problems around you.

if you need meds and you're not taking them, you're a fucking burden to all the people around you.

A few others that have genuinely caught my attention these last few years:

Witcher 3
Ark: Survival Evolved
Fallout 4

It takes games of this caliber for me to give a shit

Yes, kind of.

I simply don't have the same amount of time at 27 that I did when I was a teen. Frankly, 90% games have also become really cookie-cutter and boring as fuck.

I still play counter strike regularly (couple times a week) and I recently played and beat RE7 and loved it.

But I don't want to play the 67th battle call of field duty or the 86th "uncharted" clone which is basically 90% of games these days. I also don't want to pay 60 bucks for a game and then have to buy like 150 bucks worth of "DLC" to get the full experience.

I still play video games but they aren't as important as they were for me when i was 16.
I channel all my energy and wish of "progression" into my job and that is taking me very far.
At this point in time the only thing that matters in my life is my job and working on getting farther ahead in my company.

This. 26 year old here as well. In the last five years, I've probably spent more time playing SNES, N64, Gamecube, and PS1/PS2 games on my PC or Shield than I have played recent titles on my PS4, with Fallout 4, GTA V, and Mortal Kombat X being the exceptions. With a kid, a job, school, chores, etc. I just prefer having simple old-school games I can pick up, play for a few minutes, and put down without getting lost for hours.

>MSG2
>nearing second decade

shit.... I'm gettin old.

>mfw I actually wanted to talk with you about this but I can't respect you because your post is full of neckbeard sperglord bullshit

Stopped playing after the Sega Genesis and Super NES days. I had a PS1. And I played a little room and Quake.

Don't play much of anything but Galaga and Hill Climb Racing 2.

But nope. I don't buy them shits anymore.

Are you fuckin 80 or what?

>cover up symptoms
>destroy sexual function possibly permanently
>create dependence on drugs otherwise u feel sharp zaps down your spine when you turn ur neck for at least a year

not counting the possible epigenetic effects, and the effects of neonatal exposure to ssris

I'd love to play them.
I still haven't even touched the new Doom or Dishonored 2, two games I was really looking forward to.

Just no time any more...