Is there any real advantage to collecting vinyl over CDs other than aesthetic purposes?

Is there any real advantage to collecting vinyl over CDs other than aesthetic purposes?

Not a single optical disc on Earth today will be functioning a hundred years from now

Every LP taken good care of will last for the next five hundred at the least

Better sound and no decay.

not really, analog is just fun

is there any real advantage to listening to music in the first place? it's fun

If you buy at a good price there's a much better chance of a vinyl retaining its value or making a profit.

I like how you can own the cover art in full resolution and also all the details on the inner sleeve and actual vinyl, it's also something you can genuinely treasure and show your children what shit taste you had when you were their age

Worth it for that desu

Less brickwalling.

Is that underoath on the far left? I'm surprised I even remember this. fucking high school man

If you go to thrift stores you get exposed to new genres. I never Heard of Herb Alpert until I got a record player.

you get a different tone out of records and if an album is mastered through tapes it has the potential to sound better mastered on vinyl than cd, but it's not going to be something you hear unless you're a lying sack of shit.

if you get new releases or special editions they usually have posters or other special stuff, also colored vinyl is neat

>buying things to sell later, as opposed to buying things you actually enjoy

I agree which is why I stream my music only.

HAHA PLEBE

lots of music pressed to vinyl that isn't available on other formats

Don't care. Tidal allows me access to millions of tracks in lossless quality instantly, great for finding new stuff especially if you have slightly unusual tastes.

It's expensive and impractical and it sounds worse.

It's much more collectible, it's a way of supporting the artist while still getting something tangible and unique in return. Most records in the modern day come with download codes anyway. You can listen to the MP3s on your computer or take them with you on your phone or whatever, but by having the vinyl you have something nicer to look at and it gives you a unique listening experience of listening to it on a turntable.

Also, if you think about it, records are a pretty good investment since they're pretty much the only media item today that actually has the chance of appreciating in value.

If I live to be 90, I'll let you know if my Dad's CDs from 1980 still work.

Pretty sure not ALL discs will rot if stored properly

Disc rot is caused by both manufacturing error as well as un-optimal storage. Additionally, some optical formats being more prone to it than others (I believe DVD is supposed to be the safest one, followed by CD and Bluray being the worst).

It's really still too early to say that all optical media is doomed because on paper they should last a long time. We do know that there are plenty of old early 80s CDs around that are still going strong 35+ years later.

In any case, I still do agree with your sentiment that going with vinyl is better if you want to be able to chuck some on in your final days on your death bed. I definitely have more faith in my vinyl lasting the years and it's one of the reasons I try to go vinyl where possible. With CDs, just avoid buying them from trouble time periods (first couple years of the 90s for example) and store them well and you shouldn't run into much. You might get a very small handful rotting out of 1000 at most.

>2017
>buying plastic disks
lol how dumb do you have to be