/daily/ - Sleepytime Edition

Goodnight Daily!

The point of these threads is to encourage people to look for new and interesting music. We do this by listening to and ideally discussing albums we've never heard before. Many of us already listen to new music daily, these people are in it to venture "out of their comfort zone" by listening to albums they otherwise wouldn't have, or just to have a good time.

>make charts
neverendingchartrendering.org/

>listen to tunes
plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel

>/listenalong schedules
daily-mu.blogspot.com/p/welcome.html

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=0iIkiYvBeN8
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/jim_orourke/united_red_army__soundtrack_/
youtube.com/watch?v=xuCn8ux2gbs
youtube.com/watch?v=oWxEg1mnmIg
rateyourmusic.com/release/unauth/tim_buckley/boboquivari/
youtube.com/watch?v=OEYvI83qPWw
soundcloud.com/thirdmanrecords/01-im-watching-youwav
i.imgur.com/QMjLs33.jpg
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/blackout/dreamworld/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/koopsta_knicca/da_devils_playground__underground_solo/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/n_o_d/niggaz-of-destruction/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/tommy_wright_iii/on_the_run/
rateyourmusic.com/release/djmix/dj-screw/bigtyme-vol-ii-all-screwed-up/
rateyourmusic.com/release/comp/triple-six-mafia/underground-vol-1-1991-1994/
rateyourmusic.com/release/mixtape/triple-six-mafia/smoked-out-loced-out-1/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/player_1_and_bloody_bones/crime_rate_sky_high/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/i-set-my-friends-on-fire/astral-rejection-1/
i.imgur.com/ZwqtF8z.jpg
youtube.com/watch?v=72J5FPCXSL4
youtube.com/watch?v=CKiq-P2OJyc
youtube.com/watch?v=2e7kdoEt2xg
youtube.com/watch?v=Ql9FDMNWJeE
youtube.com/watch?v=QyPR77rg1to
youtube.com/watch?v=P_rEDqkndN0
youtu.be/vXKpIBgAXWU
youtube.com/watch?v=pLUZU8Jk9vY
youtube.com/watch?v=ucQ6rLeRxyg
youtube.com/watch?v=TlhyUGOx_oE
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Oops! Previous thread I think

u fucced up, kid

What else is new

even i never fucked makin the OP yet and im new

:| why do I

maybe because you haven't had enough opportunities to fucc up

could be

Also I really like Aaron Dilloway's album, and Starsailor is fuckin nuts

youtube.com/watch?v=0iIkiYvBeN8

Glad you like them! Excited to hear your full thoughts

>Starsailor is fuckin nuts
tru desu

>Psalters carry the bones
Production this album was weak as heck, very hollow & without might. Still, Psalters keeps things engaging with their wonderful pseudospiritual world fusion folk punk blues sorta thing they got going on. It's cool. Solid release.

>David Thomas Broughton's Crippling Lack
The voice needs to be mentioned, very crisp & clear tone, wonderful to experience. Beyond the strong voice though, it's a'ight. Just indie folk pseudo-primitivism sorta whatever stuff. The length was excessive.

GFR wins.

FUCK YEA
any special stuff for round 2?

>any special stuff for round 2?
if it sucks you will probably lose

bullshit cucko, thats aoty 2016 right there

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/jim_orourke/united_red_army__soundtrack_/

nah. 2016 AOTY is the Vroom Vroom single.

shit i don't even remember joining this, was about to have a go at you anyway then I noticed i recced it

shame you didn't like it, his songwriting is nearly as good as his voice imo

i'm going to hide a dead rat in your room

FUCK yes!!!!

New Bill Wurtz video:

youtube.com/watch?v=xuCn8ux2gbs

oh shit nice.

It was refreshing to hear a singer with noticeable talent on an album.

However, once you step into that realm you begin to be stacked up with giants like Robbie Basho or Otis Redding and mr. David really doesn't stack up in that context. His vocal choices were very stale, so his performance was almost entirely carried by tone.

The songwriting was pretty cool crescendocore I suppose, but nothing wild or innovative or special in any sense. Sufjan did it better, & with more brevity.

Here /daily/, have some nice music you never heard about

youtube.com/watch?v=oWxEg1mnmIg

Hut hut

For one of my album uploads to rym, got this reponse..

"Need a source for digital. Needs the Video Game Soundtrack attribute."

What does this mean

C U T E thank

what the FLIP

made it my desktop background thanks

Yeah, it's pretty nice. I need to give it a relisten though because I didn't pay it as much attention as I should have.

wtf gimme your paypal NOW

Good luck at your mcdonalds interview dude

@blapp
rateyourmusic.com/release/unauth/tim_buckley/boboquivari/

Rustled&Borustled

Slow thread today

let it DIE!

KOTO - プラトニック プラネット (Platonic Planet)

My lord! Finally, the pinnacle of bubbly joypop wonder! The songs MOVE! Rhythm is explored! Themes are varied! (In pop music? WOW!) The hooks are SO GOOD!

Everything about this is just brilliant. It's always high energy, but never gets exhausting. It's dynamic, it's creative, it's infinite, unrelenting fun. It's like injecting liquid sugar directly into your heart.

Plus, KOTO's got dance moves like DAMN!
youtube.com/watch?v=OEYvI83qPWw

8/10

I don't know quite how this album was brought into existence, but it has improved the overall quality of the universe.

Just realized that catchy songs can be bad

"warsaw " By Joy division

Someone give me an album for this feel

why is warsaw bad because it is actually good

The song lacks maturity

Quads for truth

what does that even mean

to every yin, there is a yang

do you want bad catchy music or music to cope with the feeling of bad catchy music existing

nice

not nice
is maturity necessary for you

thanks, hopefully i can find this

well, here we are.
final bets?

hey this is actually p good

>live from planet earth bootleg
are you ready for the sickest german trap music of the deacde
bets on trans

agreed
i love how lofi it is
im imagining droning trans rn
it sounds terrifyingly fun

beautiful

lol this review is terrible and I don't even like that album

who the hell are you

Have you peeped Uneven Compromise yet? Former (RIP) /daily/core I'm surprised you haven't rated yet, unless you don't rate EPs. It's only 10 minutes long and I think you might dig it based on your recent ratings, even if you don't care for LUM in general.

probably lacking maturity as in "they haven't figured out how to write songs yet"

I actually listened to that on Sunday cause all of my RYM friends love it. I really liked Mista Thug Isolation as well

Pretty sure it flew right past me, I have to give it a few more listens

Any other recs?

Yea it's awesome, is there anything similar I should check out?

Monks Archival EP with five unreleased songs coming out this month:

soundcloud.com/thirdmanrecords/01-im-watching-youwav

What do y'all think about this track?

prolly just other memphis rap like three six and blackout. if your liking denzel and LUM youll definitely like underground vol. 1. everyone loves that comp.

changed Monster to DS2 because Monster isn’t on soundcloud and I can’t be fucked to download it

i.imgur.com/QMjLs33.jpg

The Roots - Things Fall Apart (1999)
>east coast hip hop, conscious hip hop

The Roots’ ultra-smooth approach to hip hop goes down really easy. I really appreciate how deftly Black Thought is able to spit out some fiery, ultra-conscious lyrics over ?uestlove and co.’s light, groovy beats, but this subdued approach to beats is sometimes /too/ light. The first half of the album really leaves to impression. It’s ultra listenable, and Black Thought is always great, but the beats don’t do much to impress me. The second half really picks up some steam, the beats get jazzier and more active, and social messages more potent, and the hooks catchier. The poem read on “The Return to Innocence Lost” is a big highlight, what a fucking beautiful, harrowing piece.

3.0-

so since me and letov tied who gets the 5 album drone?

ngl I'm liking your reinvention as a hip hop head

yeah absolutely this trap takes a page or twenty out of Memphis/Southern hip hop's book.

Other than uneven compromise I'd highly rec

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/blackout/dreamworld/ (my personal fav from the genre)
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/koopsta_knicca/da_devils_playground__underground_solo/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/n_o_d/niggaz-of-destruction/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/tommy_wright_iii/on_the_run/
rateyourmusic.com/release/djmix/dj-screw/bigtyme-vol-ii-all-screwed-up/
rateyourmusic.com/release/comp/triple-six-mafia/underground-vol-1-1991-1994/
rateyourmusic.com/release/mixtape/triple-six-mafia/smoked-out-loced-out-1/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/player_1_and_bloody_bones/crime_rate_sky_high/

LUM also has a lot of unsung singles like On Doing an Evil Deed Blues and Underwater Tank

im gonna drone letov just because ive heard a good chunk of yr top albums and i havent heard much of letov's at all.
also i made a nat drone chart when i thought u died so im just holding onto it for safe keepings rn lol

This album is pretty fucked up. I've been meaning to listen to it for a long time, never got around to it. Probably going to need a couple more listens but right now I think it's kind of bad - they're trying too hard not to write a pop song, and the vocal manipulation is kind of annoying imo. Too often the bass and drums lose the rhythm, which is a shame because they can play tight when they want to -- or maybe not, these guys were 18-19, their ideas were bigger than their chops, especially on guitar.

"We Are Time" is good, and the production is 10/10. I just can't help but feel like you can only dance theoretically to this band, which makes them a lot less exciting.

gonna check it all out

>ngl I'm liking your reinvention as a hip hop head
desu I've just been taking myself way less seriously, I feel like this trap/hip-hop stuff is a side effect of that

it's been fun though, I feel like I've been missing out on a lot of stuff that I dismissed as being shallow

I wanna drone letov too honestly

yeah there's definitely some killer "shallow" rap out there

rly slow thread today
FINAL SHOWDOWN JANGLE VS TRANS
2 bootleg live albums, one from an artist I like, and one from an artist I'm new to. Jangle's rec was good, a little collection of Buckley songs played live and very lofi, not bad at all. Trans' rec wasn't bad either, but I wasn't too entertained by it ig. I liked the use of electronics but honestly I wasn't a fan of the vocals.
So congrats on the win Jangle! Accel dodged my 3 recs for him, and good job to everyone involved in this tourney. :) it was a fun one

wait wtf why didn't he do fishmans

heres what i got so far. trans, jangle, send me yr charts or tell me what to put on.

it was obvious the piggo would win

maybe you should listen to a certain band's second album :^)
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/i-set-my-friends-on-fire/astral-rejection-1/

nah this is bad
but maybe i should have recced the bootleg version of this that leaked a few months ago...

got a chart i can drone?

im k with it if you just pick things from anywhere on this, even skip some of my /daily/ chart picks

sweet, i added the top ones i havent heard.
i think i might like this shakira album a bit more than the bootleg. the bootleg was meh but the songs i liked from it were on the album.

jangle wheres yr chart/picks guy

Good morning /daily/!

Listening to Black Celebration for fun now. New music after work!

i.imgur.com/ZwqtF8z.jpg

Future - DS2 (2015)
>trap rap, southern hip hop

I can’t stand Future as a rapper, and my opinion hasn’t changed here. He’s a bit better here than he his on Honest, because he’s got some really entertaining ad-libs and some great hooks, but he embodies everything I don’t like about mumbly rappers. The beats are the draw of this album, and even they have their own problems. “Thought It Was a Drought” and “Stick Talk”, among others, have quite nice trap beats that go hard without sacrificing a certain melancholic quality. They’re still generic trap beats, though. Nothing really interesting to them that sets them apart from any other trap beats. I’m liking this more than I thought I would, but I’m still not a fan of Future’s.

2.0+

nibba ds2 is at least a 7

INU's Meshi Kuuna is some solid, Devo-style manic new wave. The album features a mix of both synths and traditional rock instruments accompanied by INU's high, sometimes-wailing voice. The record is a good excursion in the genre, though I wouldn't say it was anything too exceptional. I was somewhat disappointed, honestly, having vaguely known about the album beforehand, but that's definitely more my fault than the record itself.

it's aright I just wished I liked future more as a rapper

Fuck off, that was terrible.

my friend who listens exclusively to trap has made me go from hating future to thinking he's ok, and from hating yachty to genuinely enjoying his music

is this a good or bad thing?

Hmm guys, this is a bit awkward and all, but i posted a really good song in this thread and got no replies.

This is the song i gave you: Can you.. hmm... say something? i hope you enjoy it

Hmm guys, this is a bit awkward and all, but i posted a really good song in this thread and got no replies.

This is the song i gave you:

Can you... hmm... say something? i hope you enjoy it

Yachty is twice as good as Future imo, but I enjoyed Jeffery much more than the Lil Boat Mixtape.

Peak Yachty >>> Peak Future >>> Most Yachty

His song with DRAM is probably my top 10 songs from modern trap.

My roomie listens to Migos and Uzi Vert and I don't really like anything by them so far, that is, until XO Tour goddamn. Probably Vert's only good song imo.

I thought it was really cool. I love older vidya OSTs never heard anything from the dreamcast. May check out the album.

The entire OST of the game is full with incredible music

youtube.com/watch?v=72J5FPCXSL4

>Aaron Dilloway - Modern Jester
>Noise, Tape Music

My fascination in this album is hard to explain. I get the same goosebumps I would for any album that I really enjoy, but why? Why when there's only skin-piercing bombardments of sound, fading through and outward in loops? Is it the "subliminal messages" that Dilloway states exist within this album? Is it the album's cover, mischievous, but with the clear notion that something is wrong? Is it the way the field recordings are processed to feel like they don't come from this earth?

Whatever it is, this was an unnerving listen. There's clearly something stuck in this album that can't get out.

8/10

>Marty Robbins - Hawaii's Calling Me
>Hawaiian, SHAKA BRAH AYY HOWZIT YOU LIKE MUSUBI

I've gotten quite my fill of Hawaiian music in my life, having been born there. So there's no element of 'retreat' for me, because for me Hawaii is normal and the rest of the world is just fucking cold and dry

I'm also familiar with the calm backing choruses, the commonly used pitch bends of lead singers, the VERY similar song structures, the light plucks and strums of bass or ukulele, and the accursed slide guitar. So hearing it all again simply makes me think about tourist traps.

I'll confess I don't hate the ukulele, except when it gets butchered by anyone outside of Hawaii. You'd think it'd get old with local guys carrying them around during all of intermediate and high school, but it really didn't.

5/10

Well I think you're cool

>Ekkehard Ehlers - Ekkehard Ehlers Plays
>Ambient, Glitch

Cornelius Cardew channels Terry Riley and other ambient artists before fully evolving into Yellow Swans.
Hubert Fichte is exploring a miniature toy plastic jungle, before exploring the child's bedroom that it was residing in.
John Cassavetes recalls the peacefulness of A Winged Victory for the Sullen with distant noise; soon after, it transforms into an eternal teary-eyed waltz between constellations.
Albert Ayler points towards the avant-garde, with unfiltered pops and clicks in its bass plucks and untamed strings.
Robert Johnson glues together the sound of acoustic strings, before organizing them into... Chicago house? A strange turn, but not out of nowhere considering Robert Johnson's background.

Each Part 1/2 track is sampled from the discography that Ekkehard Ehlers respected. Alone, these tracks stand well as texture ambient/drone, but reinterpreting their works like We're New Here? Fantastic, and worth more time looking into each artist.

8/10

>Tim Buckley - Starsailor
>Experimental Rock

I got pranked by an album cover. I was expecting folky stuff from, but instead I get Buckley singing opera and belting notes with a fucking organ and jazz drums.

Tim's voice has some crazy chops, and he knows it. From Come here woman's first moments, I feel like I've been thrust into an some feverish opera spotlight. Song To The Siren feels like it could've been produced by a modern 70's revivalist band, and I can't imagine the smiling man on the album cover to make the variety of sounds in Monterey Jungle Fire is probably my second favorite track for its percussion and wails of Buckley's voice in the backdrop.

The production in this album-- also ahead of its time. The album's title track was insanely ahead of its time. Buckley's unique vibrato and vocal range, paired with electronic work I'd expect to see in Darkwave-- it should be the golden standard in that genre.

Maddening.

9/10

yeah it has all the classic songs they play at p much every show. it's kinda rough in some ways but that's been part of their appeal before they also turned into linkin park on their last album
replace Reinkaos with Guapo Five Suns
bets on Unexpect for highest score

may give this a shot on my next chart if I remember to

:3

good opinions so far. this boy wants to hear Katamari and Solid Space thoughts tho

>someone shits on album you like
>check their 5/5s
>it's all dadrock
best feel

Well there is just a slight problem with that, im pretty sure the actual OST contains alot of story spoken word parts, so it doesn't work as well as an album as many other OST's i think

not as good as
>someone shits on album you like
>check their 5/5s
>they're all scaruffi 9s
right Aqam?

can do can do

this happens to me regularly, though anyone that checks my top albums will probably ignore my opinions

tune af

youtube.com/watch?v=CKiq-P2OJyc

I know I'm the only person in the world to like this more than Public Strain but I am dangerously close to giving this a 10. If it weren't for Woodbine being so boring goddamn.

I can relate.

Also I love that pic.

Damn. Best OSTs remain the best as stand-alone albums imo, but regardless I still wanna try it out.

Not bad Shamepai. I should probably relisten to that Sweet Trip record, but I don't really feel like it right now. Overall: 3.67

>Destroy All Monsters - 1974 - 1976

Pretty good. The tape music and the punk parts were awesome, and definitely the best tracks of this comp (I love that girl's voice).. the free improv/ jazz parts were not as enjoyable though, which was unfortunate since this was the main majority of the comp. They definitely weren't bad though, but I just wished this was more punk/ tape music centered. Lastly, I don't know whether or not I should critique something based on length.. Most of the times lengthier records mean included sections that aren't as good as the rest, and in my eyes those parts could be easily cut off. There were definitely those parts here, too (this was over 3 hours, could have probably been 1).

3.5/5
>Tangerine Dream - Zeit

I'm really bad at articulating criticisms for ambient/ drone music unless there's something really obvious. Usually it's just hit or miss. This was good, not great.. not a whole lot more I can put into words honestly. It felt pretty emotionless (which might have been the point?) which sometimes worked in it's favor, sometimes against. I wish it would've sounded a little more.... organic? Regardless, I really liked the ominous atmosphere.

3.5/5

Did you hear the OST for persona 5 yet? its absolutely great

youtube.com/watch?v=2e7kdoEt2xg

>I should probably relisten to that Sweet Trip record
I guarantee you will give it at least a 4/5

>though twice
fuck me I need to stop doing this

i don't imagine the rating moving

there's not a lot more records that feel as 4/5-y as this

Yep! It's actually on my chart rn! I plan to play the game when I get back home too. I have high hopes since I'm a big smt fan.

lol I'm stupid, I just saw that you already gave it a 4. At least I was right ;)

Have fun and prepare for 100 hours of gameplay

i'll forgive you if you listen to Jazz va Spenska next

also can't wait to hear your thoughts on the Nier OST

>prepare for 100 hours of gameplay
Hell yes. I'm fucking ready.

What I've heard so far sounds like Jamiroquoai, who I unironically like.

should be dishing out hot onions tonight sometime, but I'm relistening to some stuff rn. I'll hear Jazz va Spenska next but it won't be in my next review dump.

Listen to this, it will get you more hyped

youtube.com/watch?v=Ql9FDMNWJeE

oooo yes

>those comments on the vid about trump
why do anime nerds always do this

>think im gonna get through more albums for chart
>see Eric's rant about Undertale's OST while browsing thru rym video game soundtracks
>see mixtures of genuine spite and "dont listen to the haters!!" in reviews

lmao time to make Katamari Damacy seem 20x better after going through this OST

It's really not THAT bad, but it's not amazing either, super FL-studio-ridden and overly long. Eric's doesn't really make much sense to me.

>Really, the thing people like about this soundtrack is the melodies. All five of them. Seriously, if you know what you're looking for you'll find leitmotif's strewn fucking everywhere
literally every vidya soundtrack ever is. Especially GBA/GBV-era stuff, which it's clearly tyring to emulate.

idk he's not entirely wrong, I just think it has a lot of nice moments.
youtube.com/watch?v=QyPR77rg1to

However, the things it imitates are much better
youtube.com/watch?v=P_rEDqkndN0
youtu.be/vXKpIBgAXWU
youtube.com/watch?v=pLUZU8Jk9vY
youtube.com/watch?v=ucQ6rLeRxyg
youtube.com/watch?v=TlhyUGOx_oE
Most of these rips are terrible but you get the point

*it's not amazing either, as it's super FL-studio-ridden and overly wrong. In general, Eric's rant doesn't really make much sense to me.

Going through this, I think the overworld background music is the strongest stuff here, since they seem to be the basis for a lot of the other tracks. Character-specific battle music is all messily interconnected with their themes, though. Guess you could say it makes sense because muh parallelism and centralization of plot around single character but then we go into the whole "should video game music be judged alone" debacle

And you're right about the melodies, because while reading up on Damacy, the literally state that they include the whistled intro because they wanted to have a catchy leitmotif to make the OST stand out. so uh yeah

Which part of Long Season is the best part?

>inb4 the entire song.

the live part