Ghosbusters- a critical and financial success story

Ghostbusters: Budget- $144 million

Worldwide Gross- $158,202,605

That makes a profit of over 14 MILLION dollars. Not to mention all the sales of toys (easily another $10million).

Tell me again how Ghosbusters flopped. Tell me again how women aren't funny.

Please, I'm waiting.

Other urls found in this thread:

heatst.com/entertainment/ghostbusters-reboot-toys-already-on-clearance/
youtube.com/watch?v=w3mFExHVjYc
nytimes.com/1987/01/28/movies/where-movie-ticket-income-goes.html?pagewanted=all
uni-salzburg.at/fileadmin/multimedia/Kommunikationswissenschaft/documents/Aktuelles/MedPolitik/mediaindustries_journal2.1.pdf
hollywoodreporter.com/news/200-million-rising-hollywood-struggles-721818
themarysue.com/ghostbusters-toy-sales-have-exceeded-expectations/
patreon.com/swinsea
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Le memepost to trigger tv

it's called Ghostbusters
how could it fail?

Don't forget the 100 million in marketing and theatre's cut of the tickets

lol. Ghostbusters posting is going to de-throne BANE posting

Even though this is b8 I'm going to explain anyway. The budget is just the amount of money that goes into making the film, that doesn't include advertising, merchandising etc. It would have needed to make a lot more money to have broke even, like a couple hundred million more.

will it ever end?

BASED GHOSTBUSTERS

POL BTFO

what a novel topic of conversation.

Yes, I know there's a 99% chance this is just a shitpost from an autist LARPing as an SJW, but still...

Do you understand the difference between gross and net - yes or no?

>thinking 144 million is the entire budget of the film

It need to break 290 million to gain profit in Ghostbuster's case....still possible, I guess.

Right, like Warcraft doubled its budget in box office but still lost a small amount of money. Gaining back the films budget is just the start of breaking even or making money. Especially when a studio marketed something the way they did Ghostbusters. I'd assume you're right that they're about $200-$300 million in the hole here.

>Tell me again how women aren't funny.
No one actually said that. They said that people said that, but no one actually did.

Couldn't resist, could you?

Huh... not as bad as I thought on marketing and stuff. They could still get there. It wasn't a colossal failure either way. I do think they expected more out of it though.

>It's the "OP pretends to be a retard but actually is" episode

>figures pulled out the ass
are you really that triggered from seeing girls onscreen? are you all just closet homos?

I was watching this last night

>now that HAS to be innuendo

Feig said $500M

ghostbusters is neckbeard cat nip
just start banning these threads

Yeah, Ghostbusters was a huge success, but it can't quite compete with the most successful summer blockbuster of 2015.

Fant4stic: Budget - $120 million

Worldwide Gross - $167,977,596

That makes a profit of over 47 MILLION dollars.

I know this is a shitty b8 thread, but someone please post all the pictures of the Chickbuster toys already on clearance at Target.

When an investor puts up $144 million, they expect more than a marginal profit. That profit isn't enough to sink another $100 million into a sequel.

>are you really that triggered from seeing girls onscreen?
no
>are you all just closet homos?
yes

who fucking cares? You fucking dopes. Get over it.

Sony is probably posting these threads. stop being tools.

here you go

heatst.com/entertainment/ghostbusters-reboot-toys-already-on-clearance/

>still possible, I guess.
LOL no

Minus 100 million from the Hollyjew advertising campaign leaves you with a net loss of 53 million.

Great news! Can't wait for other installments in the Ghost Corps Cinematic Universe!

>post things that are wrong
>people correct you
>pretend this makes you a master manipulator of human beings

just the shut fuck up all ready.

every fucking neckbeard is an amateur business analyst.

>Booyah
>Emphasis on the boo

ive been mostly unperturbed by ghostbusters b8 but this is too much

wow, I didn't know poop was supposed to be green and liquid

That's where it would be considered successful and worthy of continue the franchise.

No studio wants to spend 144 million and get 5 million out of it at the end of the day.

>those comments
>all those poltards astroturfing

The text is too small I can't read anything

RIGHT THATS IT.

>$144 budget
>they borrow that money and pay back after release so rought 3 years borrowing
>4% interest fees work out to be $17m (rounding down)
>then you have marketing budget approximately 50-100% of production budget. Studio pays this themselves.
>50% would be $72m
TOTAL STUDIO PAYS OUT FOR FILM = $233m
>theatres take a cut approximately 35% of ticket sales and the remaining 65% go to the studio
>$233m studio costs means that film needs to bring in $358m in worldwide gross to break even
$358m TO BREAK EVEN
>$159m (rounding up) worldwide gross so far
FACT: GHOSTBUSTERS NEEDS ANOTHER $199m TO BREAK EVEN

No one cares. We've had this same thread 10,000 times already.

You people are pure cringe.

try harder

Uh, no. That's the actual break even point.

Theaters get a rough average of half the gross. Marketing tends to match production (in this case we know its 100m, though). So budget plus marketing times 2 is the rough break even point for any movie.

144m + 100m / .5 = 488m.

Lol at the economics failure.

Most of all it's a great ethical success.

ITT: Sup Forums can't into basic sarcasm
14 million

It's really telling that all the fanart of this movie is in this quirky "feminist" style.

>invest $15
>get a return of a dollar, hope for maybe $3

Savvy.

err no...I'm a basement dwelling neckbeard, and also a Hollywood accountant.

Jesus, you neckbeards suck almost as much as this movie did.

They get more than half nowadays.

Marketing is a separate department that is not included in a studio's calculations in regards to profit.

youtube.com/watch?v=w3mFExHVjYc

LOL! Ghostbusters is making bank, stop making excuses - everyone can see its already got several millions over the budget. Sequel confirmed.

the yellow poop part is what interested me

if only the 4chin manboys put this much effort into literally anything else.
Smh.

>money the studio spent is not counted in regards to profit

lol

>Marketing is a separate department that is not included in a studio's calculations in regards to profit.
But it still costs the studio money to promote the movie. Didn't they promote the movie in a basketball match which would have cost a lot of money?

People really shit more than once I day? I go 3 times a week maximum.

It fucking hurts too.

Are you for real? Where the fuck do you think the money comes from?

Budget does not account for marketing, which in most cases is roughly equal to the budget (another $150 million,) Movies generally are not considered successful unless they make back triple the budget around $450 million)

Plus , $10 million for toy sales is shit. A larger licensor like Mattel would not get involved in a brand unless they were expecting to make at least $30 million and that does not include all the other smaller licensees.

i really REALLY like this poop

I work out and eat a lot of fiber + protein. I shit two times a day easily. Rock solid turds of granite which can be used to beat foreigners with.

Thank you.

Fuck your mom

It's a separate department.

In the grand scheme of things that the top brass cares about, but marketing is usually assigned money at the beginning of the quarter and it's simply singed off, no matter how they spend it. It's so compartmentalized that other departments don't care what marketing does, because their department gets audited separately from the rest. And they have ways to gain money too, usually by making product placement/advertising deals.

Yes, I also happen to work for a marketing of a large company, one that deals with making movies. Fancy that.

you do realize that they need to gross $288 MILLION WORLDWIDE to break even right? theaters get half of the gross. moron.

>Figures pulled out the ass

nytimes.com/1987/01/28/movies/where-movie-ticket-income-goes.html?pagewanted=all

uni-salzburg.at/fileadmin/multimedia/Kommunikationswissenschaft/documents/Aktuelles/MedPolitik/mediaindustries_journal2.1.pdf

hollywoodreporter.com/news/200-million-rising-hollywood-struggles-721818

>Triggered from seeing girls onscreen

Pretty sure I wouldn't enjoy Alien, Terminator, Robocop, etc if that was the case.

>Are you all just closet homos?

Yes.

No you don't.

I really like her characterization! She's so wacky, she's eating Pringles™! Just like me, ha ha!

B-b-b-but Muh Pantry Arch Key lost

themarysue.com/ghostbusters-toy-sales-have-exceeded-expectations/

Suit yourself, but there is a reason why studios never talk about marketing costs in relation to movie profits. Only keyboard armchair producers are obsessed with them.

Don't worry though, Ghostbusters is a flop anyway.

>drink red wine
>black poop

eat a vegetable neckbeard

How long is his sentence in movie jail going to be?

as long as the Wachowski brothers probably.

>themarysue

>Sony cutting financial forecasts.
>Pascal on suicide watch.
>Warrant already issued for Feig to serve his time in movie jail.

thats not how profit works and doesnt include marketing

it's an unemployed neckbeards become Hollywood insider finance experts episode.

>financial success story
>did even worse than Warcraft

ok m8

>It's a Sony unpaid intern is defending another Sony Pictures blunder on a Cantonese interpretive dancing image board episode.

It did better than Fant4stic.
For Sony that's a success.

Weak ass bait

>Wachowski
>brothers

pick one, user.
After the Matrix movies, they both became trans-lesbians(and one was transitioning during the Matrix trilogy)

PU, MA-MAN

HE FLIES LIKE A MORON

Just another $150 million to go

Yeah, Now they can make another movie with that 14 Million Profit

>what is opportunity cost

140 million was only production costs, add advertising and marketing and goodbye profits

>Please, I'm waiting.
Shouldn't you be finishing your summer reading instead of shitposting?

This is probably the best breakdown I've seen, it even includes a conservative estimate of the marketing budget. People saying the studio only gets 50% of the gross are just thinking wishfully, but even if they got a full 75 over the entire theatre run it still wouldn't make the movie profitable. It's already out of lots of theatres too, I can't even find anywhere showing it any more in my UK town.

It literally broke the glass ceiling.
I am sure in Sony they celebrated this moral triumph, no matter the money losses.

>a basketball match
bin that mate before you need to take a lorry to the chemist's to get some mustard plasters

>GB16 is the first officially profitable hollywood movie

patreon.com/swinsea

Why did I think looking this up would be amusing

But is it a good movie?