Anyone in the Navy? Was it worth it?

Anyone in the Navy? Was it worth it?

Bewst decision of your life? Worst? Better if you're an officer?

Good stories? Other branches welcome.

Other urls found in this thread:

military.com/education/gi-bill/learn-to-use-your-gi-bill-for-grad-school.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

bump for interest

Bump

Not worth it at all. if i could go back and change it i wouldn't have gone at all

care to elaborate?

Looking in to joining. Hoping it will be a good escape and that it will get my life together.

Pretty much the only thing I have going for me right now is I'm in shape and I have a degree.

get paid shit, foods shit, boot camp is folding clothes and marching, didn't see any nice places, sleep less then 4 hours a night, everyone is angry all the time, and last but not least its like being in a floating prison.

Anything good?

Was shore leave interesting? Do benefiets make your life any easier?

i would not join, only good thing is the girls with daddy issues. unless your gay then there is a lot of dick to suck. no benefits arnt worth

Aviation Electrician's Mate here

I signed a contract to be IT which required Top Secret security clearance. I failed out of the security interview and could only settle for regular Secret clearance and got AE instead.

Is the Navy worth it? Perhaps if you're just getting out of highschool and wanted to use the post 9/11 GI bill to pay for college, definitely if you've already got a bachelors and are going officer. It's hard to say for any other reason.

What about the officers? think it may have been worth it for them?

Hoping to go to grad school, not sure if the GI bill helps with that.

The post 9/11 does apply to graduate school
military.com/education/gi-bill/learn-to-use-your-gi-bill-for-grad-school.html

Was in Marines. Went through boot in 94. Was a hell of a lot tougher back then. People dropped from heat exhaustion. Couple died from heat stroke. Stayed for 12 years. But all that shit paid off in 04-06 when newbies where coming in fresh out of the "reformed" boot. They had no idea of the desert heat or the rounds being fired at them were actually real bullets. Watched those 18-24 y.o. badasses cry and hunker down when SHTF.

Big perk is whenever you get moved around, plenty of cootch.

What abut the experience itself? Did you like being there?

go marine corp officer

A lot of peopple have told me that.

Any particular reason to do the corp over the other branches?

I got shore duty so I've never been on an actual deployment. This case has me as the special snowflake sailor that won't ever be on a boat if I just do my 4 and get out.

So far as an experience: I left my hometown as a semi-NEET, did boot camp, was in Pensacola Florida for 4 months, was in San Diego for 2 months, before moving to and staying in Norfolk Virginia. Through all that I've gotten to, as a way of putting it, correct all of my mistakes from highschool. What I mean is build a little more camaraderie and more friendships that I neglected to do in highschool, have some one night stands from bars which I've never done before in my life, and learn a trade which I'm proud of (Electrician). If you're stuck in your hometown with few options, I can recommend it. But if you've got your parents paying for you to go to a dorm college, you're about to get a similar experience anyway. I can't comment on what the experience could have been had I been assigned to a ship.

you dont get enough pussy or as good as a rep being in the navy as you do the Marines and pluz you look alot better in uni

n0t like that anymore in the navy. its everyone for them selves and everyone is a snitch 2013 BM here USS Nimitz

I have family in the marines. Wanted to do that the most but it kind of seemed the marines get taken advantage of.

Less pay, less freedom and get generally treated like shit more often. All under the pretense of "a marine can take it."

Seems like the more worthwhile option but you also get shorted.

So I've heard that's what it's like on a carrier.

Shore duty for me is just a normal 6 to 3 job.

I can attest to the marines being treated shittier.
Aviation related jobs are taught to the Marines and Navy in the same classrooms in Pensacola Florida. The difference is their liberty policy. If a sailor was late coming back for curfew, they'd get punished as an individual. The sailors collectively would only get punished if there was an actual crime done out in town.

The marines would all be put on lockdown for a weekend for one of them being late.

One thing I keep hearing about every branch is that everything's different if yuo go in as an officer.

Anyone have any experince with that?