How many bowling balls are there?

How many bowling balls are there?

Other urls found in this thread:

jackal2.deviantart.com/art/Bowling-Ball-Pyramid-87970447
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

The Real Question

>what retard thinks that looks good outside their home?

Enough to crush your dreams.

There's a nifty formula for figuring that out. Don't have it memorized, and too lazy to Google for it.

I have faith in The user.

Someone will come up with it.

I think 165

two answers:
a) use pyramidal numbers,
b) you can't know without any way of verifying that there are balls under those balls

We cant see the back so its impossible to tell it its a 4 sided pyramid or a 3 sided one. This is unsolvable.

Nigger, are you serious?
That's obviously a 3-sided pyramid.
The only issue is whether it's hollow or not.

That tree and fence tells me it's not a square

assuming that they follow the same order, 1 + 4 + 9 + 16 +25 + 36 + 49 + 64 + 81 = 285

The balls are spherical so...

165 it is IMO

No, no, no. The number of balls per layer is NOT the square of the number on the side.

I am almost positive

how the fuck did you arrive at 4 for the second level down? it's clearly 3

We cant say for sure either way.

Assuming its a square:

The volume of a pyramid with a rectangular base is equal to:

Length_of_base * Width_of_base * Height * 1/3

so 9*9*9*.333333333333333=243

You are correct

Someone post that nifty formula...

Thx m8

You are correct

I've seen this exact question before, just didn't know the answer then.

You are correct

You are correct

I can't see the back so I couldn't really tell you. I'm assuming this has 4 sides?

That's the gayest pyramid ever built.

Soooo what? You can have spherical 4 sided pyramid or a spherical 3 sided pyramid dumbass.

Kek it's 165, count by layer
>9+8+7+6+5+4+3+2+1
>8+7+6+5+4+3+2+1
>7+6+5+4+3+2+1
>6+5+4+3+2+1
>5+4+3+2+1
>4+3+2+1
>3+2+1
>2+1
>1
>165

If the design of the balls were consistent it would look better

Assuming the following pattern holds:
Top level = 1
Second level = 1+2
Third level = 1+2+3
etc
And assuming that the bowling ball rack is complete and homogeneous, then the total number of bowling balls is 165.

n(n+1)(n+2)/6

Where n = number of balls on the side of the bottom, in our case, n=9

Thus 9(10)(11)/6 = 165.

it would look like a pile of bowling balls

buncha retards here. it's 265

Assuming it has 3 sides. We cant say for sure, so this whole thread is pointless.

sorry i meant 165

The packing is translation-invariant. You can't make a square pyramid with a regular packing when one of the corners is in a tetrahedral configuration.

Yes you can.

An ass load

more than 2

Then post one.

k

i bet the rest of you gave up after running out of fingers and toes

You fucking idiot. Use common sense and look at the picture with your eyes.

Put some glasses on you retarded fuck.

code expanded:
9+8+7+6+5+4+3+2+1+8+7+6+5+4+3+2+1+7+6+5+4+3+2+1+6+5+4+3+2+1+5+4+3+2+1+4+3+2+1+3+2+1+2+1+1=165

109, count the first face. then take a column off one side to get the amount for two faces. for the third face, count the insides between the two outermost columns. ez pz, no math involved.

my genious brain says 165

I think he's trolling. I refuse to believe anybody actually thinks there could be two more sides back there.

Not enough to fill your mums cunt, you sick fk.

How do we know it's not just a stupid camera angle?

You post one with three sides first

Gayest pic ever posted

You are dumb as shit dude. If it were a 4 sided pyramid the back would extend outwardly as it does inwardly from the left and right sides. Which would be impossible with the fence and trees right there.

How the hell are people so imperceptive

So much samefagging ITT

Bring back IDs you Jap nigger.

The right answer is

Not him, but I agree. You can't be sure it's an even side in the back.

Hell, it could even double back inwards, so the 2D footprint would look something like a V.

It's a big assumption that the base of the structure is a equilateral triangle....and that it's filled will balls on the inside too, and now hollow.

1+3+6+10+15+21+28+36+45=165

>>Assuming its a square:

Which it very obviously isn't.

Thats an assumption that is attempting to counter my assumption. I assumed it had 4 sides, and if it has 4 sides, the answer is spelled above. If you want to say its 3 sides that is fine, its just a different equation.

>ITT: a bunch of imperceptive fucking morons

Why not a hard questions like: What's the total volume of the space between all the bowling balls?

Assumptions like this are the reason America is on the decline.

You are all fools. This is clearly an existential quandary posted by the OP. He never said, "how many bowling balls are there in the picture," nor did he state the pic was relevant. He simply asked how many bowling balls are there.

In which case, we need further clarification of what defines a bowling ball. Is a ball made for the sport of bowling a bowling ball? What variations are allowed in the bowling ball design? What about miniature representations of bowling balls? Or pics of bowling balls (pic related), do we include those two? What if one draws a bowling ball, but does so poorly? Are bowling balls capable of being perceived as other things? Can other things be perceived as bowling balls?

Trick question: the inside is filled with candy.

Here you go

What if there are bowling cubes on the inside

I get it.

Assuming that the pyramid has bowling balls on the inside and have equal sides the whole way around, it becomes fairly simple.
Bowling balls start at one (1x1) at the top, and end with 81 on the bottom (9x9). The order from bottom to top goes 9x9+8x8+7x7+6x6+5x5+4x4+3x3+2x2+1.
This equals 285. So there are 285 bowling balls.

That's an empty rebuttal, you were ascertaining the impossibility of judging # of sides. We can be certain there's 3 with the spacial limitations.

do the bowling balls in the pic actually exist? do bowling balls actually exist?

It's not a fucking pyramid. There. Are. Three. Sides!

What do you mean 'in between'? Are we looking at the convex hull minus the spheres or...

about tree fiddy

Oh shit, someone's taking freshman Philosophy.

zero.
it's a jaypeg.

Fine, assuming its a 3 sided pyramid:
V=1/3Ah
Where A is the area of the base and h is the height

A=40.5
h=9
Balls=V=121

You want to explain to me how it is logistically possible for the pyramid to have 4 sides given spacial limitations?

No dude, you're dumb. Just like the other guy.

Yeah, no. That would work if the base were square.

See
Where I made the assumption it has 3 sides. Both are assumptions, one is correct. Pick one.

Go slap your balls, nigger

About 15.046785 cubic feet if the bowling balls are a standard 8.5 inches in diameter.

Your number, while it may be correct, doesn't tell us much.

How did you go about your calculation?

You see, this is a trick question. What we see in the picture might as well be merely a projection of a 4-dimensional pyramid of transcended bowling balls onto our 3-dimensional realm, in which case their quantity might well exceed thousands.

possible base?

=

The key to determining how many balls per layer is adding up the visable balls on all 3 sides of alternating rows.

>balls are touching
GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY

None. I don't see any holes so I don't think they are bowling balls.

Idk of any formulas but if it has an inside layer the number of balls two row higher plus the number on the outside= that rows number. I noticed this while counting

visualize the 3rd layer from top
it's six not fucking seven

It's called a simplex you illiterate pleb.

The base is triangular if you look at the second row

Either this is a miscommunication or you're doing mental gymnastics

I was saying you're imperceptive because it's not logistically possible for the pyramid to have 4 sides.

The assumption was dumb but you are not. Have a good day sir. Thanks for not sperging back at me.

jackal2.deviantart.com/art/Bowling-Ball-Pyramid-87970447

Link to where the image comes from.

Confirmed.