Ang Lee on Chinese movies

china.org.cn/arts/2016-06/16/content_38678594.htm
Ang Lee warned the Chinese industry about two potential pitfalls.

One pitfall is making quick money by making similar films[...]
The other thing he warned about is to blindly scramble for big movie stars[...]

He told the attendees that these two things had harmed Taiwan and Hong Kong's film industry and China should have patience to grow the Chinese film industry and not repeat the same mistakes.

Lee said that the Chinese population is massive, and that the Chinese can surely surpass the United States box office-wise, but that Chinese filmmakers should learn from Hollywood in this golden era, saying from “American filmmakers to technicians they are all very professional and have solid basic skills."

"The American film market is very strong, because it has powerful cultural strength, and the whole world follows their pop culture," Lee said, "I don't think that box office revenues surpassing the U.S. really means that China surpasses it at all. American is powerful for its influence on global pop culture."

"We Chinese people have another means of expression, emotion and logic that have not been popularized as a world language. When we establish our cause, then we can share it with the world. We don't have to do it like we are going to take over markets overseas, we should think about what we can offer the world."

To bad they didn't listen to him

>China turns around and makes BRAD PITT'S THE WALL

bummer

smart man

adhering to whitecentric norms and formulas will only turn you into a second class citizen

This is actually really admirable and insightful. I dislike the big event bullshit coming out of China and the co-productions with Hollywood that shoehorn in Chinese stars hoping to double-dip. Be Chinese, make your own films.

I don't even like Chinese people, but go Ang Lee.

He is right but Chinese businessmen see the $$$ coming from US entertainment industry and they are trying to play catchup with Hollywood. This means big budget blockbusters.

>cites two potential pitfalls
>one of these isn't that fact that every fourth Hong Kong film is 2/3rds running gun battles

that sounds way better than every fourth American movie being a sappy gay hipster romantic dramedy nowadays

All markets should have a listen to this but too bad they wont.

The Chinese film market will never take off like Hollywood because of the Communist Party. Until it's gone, the grip it has on what movies are allowed to be shown in theaters and what's allowed to be filmed in China will keep the Chinese mainland from building a strong, creative movie industry.

>Communist Party
China stopped being Communist when they started chasing after US dollars. In a decade, they'll be just like us.

race war now?

>>>/tumblr/

>>>/reality/

Reason why American movies are so popular is because almost everyone in the world understands English more than Chinese/Mandarin. America just has a strong soft power no matter how much other countries hate it.

This is changing though.
I've been to U.S. dependant countries like Mexico and Canada and there is a growing demand for mandarin speakers and teachers.

It's not as big as English demand but eventually we will see slightly tamer versions of Blade Runner type advertising in North and South America as asian culture influences our people more.

I personally don't mind, seeing as the alternative is Indian or possibly Arabic influences on our society.

>inb4 you're using arabic symbols to write

Don't make him Ang Lee.
You wouldn't like him when he's Ang Lee.

t. white person

Where's that video about Jackie Chan saying westerners cut every 5 seconds and can't film action for shit?

Watched Ip Man recently and it really scratched my martial arts itch.

This.

They even managed to ruin WKW.

They're communist in name only. They've got full capitalist.

doesnt china only have like 1 singular original pop culture contribution (son goku / monkey king) that they've endlessly rehashed for decades and decades

NEVER LEARN MANDARIN.

wow, guess I'm #buyingonefortaiwan