I was a heavy alcoholic about 6 months ago for a bout two years i smoked cigarettes since I was 16 but I stopped all...

I was a heavy alcoholic about 6 months ago for a bout two years i smoked cigarettes since I was 16 but I stopped all that and now I have severe anxiety doctors say it's cause I quit drinking that the alcohol was masking my anxiety so now without it it's all coming to the surface. I've been to the hospital twice both panic attacks that made me feel like I was destined for certain death. Been to the doctors they tell me everything I'm feeling is just because of the anxiety but it doesn't make sense to me how I can feel like my left arm is numb I have a pit in my stomach chest area so I feel all the symptoms of a heart attack but I'm tired of going to the doctors and them telling me it's anxiety how the fuck do I stop this shit I quit smoking I quit drinking heavily (I still like to have a couple beers every now and then) and I changed my diet I.e. Cut out almost all refined sugars and eat way more greens and have a meal replacement diet going on but for some fucking reason I still think I'm going to have a heart attack has anyone else gone through some shit like this? Is this just my anxiety?

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/HealthAnxiety/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

its not just anxiety. you have more bolts loose.

alcohol doesn't just mask anxiety it causes rebound anxiety when you quit drinking. you probably fried your brains with that shit.

try soaking your face in cold water the next time your anxiety gets bad.

nutrition and exercise and drinking enough water helps a lot

also after a number of panic attacks you realize it they just end on their own and nothing happens. for me that was when i stopped getting them

Can someone tell me what an anxiety attack actually feels like?

I've had depression in the past where literally anytime I was alone I would break down in tears. I would have to leave class or whatever to find a bathroom and compose myself too. But that was more like depression and extreme sadness.

Feel better bro.

Dude, cardio phobia can be a massive burden.

Is there a reason you might be specially sensitive ?
You're hearing into yourself more than anything.

Cardio phobia is a mental disorder bro.
I relaxation technics won't do for you then think of ssri.
This can calm that restless mind down and face reasons why all this came to you.

Tl;dr
This exists, it has a reason, find that reason

My last anxiety attack felt like my heart was going to burst because of how hard it was beating and I couldn't get it to stop I tried walking around to calm myself down and then I got dizzy and my vision got blurry and I had super bad tunnel vision felt like I was gonna hit the floor and die. I got prescribed xanax but I've never been one to take pills and I know the danger of benzodiazepines so I try to only take it if I have another panic attack

when u drink n do drugs you dont emotionally grow. everything is just stunted. now that you stopped u can finally feel ur emotions. its gonna suck but u just have to grow.

They put me on citalopram but after like two and a half weeks I stopped taking it because it didn't do anything and I hate taking pills so I started going to a therapist but who knows how long that's gonna take to work

Why did you stop taking the pills ? How many mg ?
When did you take them ?

They put me on 10mg that didn't do anything so they upped it to 20 that still didn't do anything so I said fuck that and stopped taking them If it's gonna take 2 months to work then wtf is the point of taking them but that was when I was having super bad panic so now that it's not as bad I might think about going back on it if it really works

Trust me, whoever informed you is not precise.

Ssri take at least two weeks and that's the minimum. I experienced two to four weeks.
Take 10mg for around 2-4 weeks, add 10mg in that rhythm until you find a suitable dose.
You can experience getting more calm with the weeks passing by.
Do it slowly and stay in close contact to a doctor actually having a degree and you can fit the dose you need.

Then, when you're better, you might think about finding out what caused this starting in you.
Benzos do a great job calming you relative instantly, but they're ment to be taken "when important reason" and not on a regular base.

Dude, get yourself the help you need, this can get better !

Edit, pills won't take your problems away, but when suffering from returning panic attacks they can take away the panic. That's when one can start relaxing again and get to the root of it all - calm and reasonable

is there ever a point where anxiety goes away and you don't have to take the pills anymore or is it kinda like I've fucked my head up to the point where I have to be on medication from now on

Don't take SSRI's unless you want your sex drive and ability to cum to be pretty much gone. Antidepressants just mask the underlying issue...and you don't wanna take pills for the rest of your life do you?

>Source, me being on nearly every SSRI at some point from ages 17-22

Yeah that's what I'm worried about I don't want to have to start on a medication and be on it I want to get rid I my anxiety not fuckin live with it

You ever try any psychedelics? I know this probably isn't the answer for everyone but I had a couple mind blowing trips last summer. Twice on shrooms and once on LSD and it made me much more comfortable with who I am. Again, I was on SSRIs for 5 years and was just masking a lot of personal anxiety but tripping really makes you face your inner self in a way. Pretty liberating.

Well, anxiety will fade away.
The meds block the paths that activate your stress reactions. Sounds dramatic, what it feels like is:
>feels like heart skips a beat
>wtf was that
>stress
>adrenaline
>panic attack with all symptomes mentioned

With meds it's kinda like
>heart skips beat
>what was that
>oh right
And keep on doing what you want.

The medication can be taken for longer terms as far as I know, but as a halfway smart person you take it as long as you need but as short as possible.
Then you fade the meds by going down with the dose slowly.

As mentioned, as soon as you found time relaxing, try finding out what caused your drinking and finally your panic attacks

Tough times need appropriate reactions. When being afraid of dying daily you don't care if it takes a bit longer to ejaculate.
Erectile dysfunction surely not !

What you might need is further non medical therapies

Btw you haven't had problems drinking all every day but are worried by something developed over decades and not a liquid that is proven to kill your body ?

Yeah when I was on Xanax all the pains and aches in my body would go away and I didn't have that pit in my chest and was able to think about shit normally instead of just focusing on my heart and arm and shit but even then it's mainly based on my health I thought I was gonna die because I was having palpitations from smoking cigarettes so that lead to my worry about something with my heart but now I quit smoking so the palpitations have gone away almost completely but now it's just my arm feeling like weak and the pit in my chest that make me still think I fucked up my heart and I started drinking just because it was there me and my buddies were known as the ones that always showed up with the alcohol to every party and if there wasn't a party we made one by just getting a bottle and going to someplace that we could drink and do whatever the fuck we want but I got tired of getting drunk all the time sound decided to stop drinking and it was kind of abrupt compared to how much and how often we were drinking. I was able to kill an entire bottle of crown royal in two hours and my friends had no idea I was drunk that's how bad my tolerance got

ITT people who think they know more than doctors and choose to be miserable because they want immediate relief.

instead choosing to be miserable forever as opposed to being slightly inconvenienced for a few weeks.

Take your time man.
Find what you love and re-design your life. Sometimes it's time shit hits the fan so you know something has to happen. Get suitable help when you need it, people got issues.

>trusting the pharmaceutical industry

OP i'm exactly in your boots...seriously. I quit drinking 6-7 months ago and I'm seriously having worse anxiety then I ever had in my life. It's like i'm anxious 24/7 for no apparent reason. I've always had anxiety but nothing like this...it's literally fucking ruining everything right now. The anxiety has gotten slowly better since the withdrawals so I feel like it'll lift. It's not just your "anxiety" but your gaba receptors are still repairing themselves from all the abuse. Expect to be like this for up to two years...should be sooner though.

>Update
I know the idea "there has to be something wrong with me" is strong. Have you ever had a doctor who could offer a heart rate scan while you hit the bike ?
This is a proper way of calming those nerves because it's something you can see.
If no professional way possible, get someone measuring your pulse while you do this in your gym.
Start at 25W and go up every five mind. When resistance goes up, measure pulse and bp. See how hard you can go then check final level pulse/bp and then while calming down.
You'll see there's nothing wrong with your heart !

It's anxiety, went through some rough bits as well. Thought I was having a heart attack, walk-in clinic agreed, rushed to emergency. Couldn't find anything after numerous tests and wearing a monitor for a month. Turns out anxiety can mimic those symptoms, went on escitalopram (SSRI's) [anti-anxiety/anti-depressants] Feel 100% for the past few years I've been on it.

I usually take a shower for mine but they arent as bad as yours

I have the same problems and i also have hypertension.
i had a few episodes that i thought i was dying my heart wouldnt go back to normal beating.
my palms sweating and dizziness to almost faint.
Then i called my mother one of the nights to say goodbye cause i thought i was a goner.
She told me that she had suffer panic attacks and that i was having one.
She asked me to get a full tea spoon of Cayenne pepper and i felt my heart on fire.
but felt amazing.
It opened up all my blood vessels.
then after that i take an aspirin every day and try to cut sugar and salt intake.
Believe me i was a mess..i still am but at least now i know i wont die cause of it.

Been there, buddy. Doctors assume that it is a substance induced anxiety due to my heavy abuse of alcohol in the past. I was drunk for about 300 days in a row and when I jeopardized my last money and lost so much weight that I finally collapsed, that was the day were I started depravation and a therapy.

Has been a hell of two years with daily panic attacks while doing groceries or just take out the garbage but it is doable. I went back to my apprenticed job, don't take pills anymore and just try to get along. Since I know that I am an asshole with idiotic mindset I just prefer to stay alone and never do anything social stuff outside.

So...just waiting for the lights to go out, you know?

Well, that had nothing to do with your question but I just feel better to have written down this shit. There've been some good hints in this thread like making a heart monitoring while having a panic attack, rejecting sugars, do sports etc. all good but the real work is in youe head. Free yourself from the chains that make you suffer and go outside, walk 20 meters, get panicky, go back inside, next day walk 50 meters and so on and on, one day you'll be able to enjoy a 2 hour walk in the park without freaking out.

You can do that.

That reminds me of a borderline patient in the psychic ward, she had candies that burned you smacker away, raspberry flavoured skill candies or however you call them, as soon as she feels the urge to cut herself, she grabs a handful of those candies and she is fine.

Also helped when having a panic attack outside, this stuff really helps you to put your thoughts away from your heart rate.

I know what you mean by just writing the shit helped just reading this thread has really help calm my nerves Reading other people are going through the same shit kinda helps knowing that I'm not alone in a sense of being as fucked up as I am

Even if this is a board for though alpha males, pedophiles, retards and social rejected narcists, there are always people who sit in the same boat when it comes to mental disorders.

I bet the majorty here has anxiety problems or any other mental stuff.

Dude i have severe health anxiety over my heart. Reading this subreddit helps me.
reddit.com/r/HealthAnxiety/

>citalopram is garbage, you did the right thing

Sounds like he's trying to improve upon where he was, not replace one addiction with another. You guys sure put a lot of trust in those state sponsored drug dealers.