First of all - I'm not biased towards either company. But why does Marvel get a free pass?

First of all - I'm not biased towards either company. But why does Marvel get a free pass?

Whenever DC releases something they get panned, but when Marvel releases something they generally get universal praise. Look at shit like Iron Man 2, Incredible Hulk or Avengers 2 - just as bad as Man of Steel or BvS. Yet Marvel has more than twice as high RT score.

Other urls found in this thread:

change.org/p/someone-stop-marvel-from-paying-off-critics?recruiter=191651176&utm_source=petitions_show_components_action_panel_wrapper&utm_medium=copylink
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Disney

marvel pays reviewers and DC either doesn't pay them or doesn't pay them enough
not complicated

>people actually believe this

>A meme (/ˈmiːm/ MEEM)[1] is "an idea, behavior, or style that spreads from person to person within a culture".[2] A meme acts as a unit for carrying cultural ideas, symbols, or practices that can be transmitted from one mind to another through writing, speech, gestures, rituals, or other imitable phenomena with a mimicked theme. Supporters of the concept regard memes as cultural analogues to genes in that they self-replicate, mutate, and respond to selective pressures.[3]

Basically this. The "Marvel only makes quality family entertainmant for fans and non-fans alike" and the "DC is bad because they are dark and not fun" are literally just meaningless memes spread through social media and people with no critical thought apply these views to themselves without ever questioning it.

>Thor 2 got universal praise
>Cap 1 got universal praise
>Iron-Man 2 got universal praise.

It doesn't get mentioned cause marvel churns out good/decent movies more than they do bad ones.

The DCU is currently 0/2, who knows maybe wonder woman traveling the world with some WW1 tard would be it's first good movie.

Also, to be fair, Cap 1 progressively got better as more and more of cap movies pile up.
Since it's rare to see Rodgers without the super soldier serum thing.

Marvel executives are wealthy jews that literally sacrifice children to satan and drink their blood. That kind of shit gives you power over the forces of the world, especially over nu-male cucks and tumblrinas that have, alas, invaded Sup Forums in the last years

>inb4 le ebin marvelman laughing

All capeshit is shit

>marvel
I meant disney executives

I want Marvel disinformation agents to leave

Marvel comic films are family-friendly summer blockbusters, DC films are for intellectuals. Of course they're held to different standards.

Audience reception has almost nothing to do with filmic merits, because audiences don't give a shit about filmmaking. They watch movies for celebrity actors. Even Sup Forums does this.

Because they modeled the capeshit archetype. They created a formula, a narrative structure, that worked in a few movies and then they blended it all in a cinematic universe built upon that formula. As always, people are to blame

People dislike new things as we all can see in the state of Hollywood right now. If you want a capeshit to be praised, you need to follow the formula.

>inb4 nolan

That was before. Same applies to Raimi's Spiderman movies

Honestly? They have a more charismatic cornerstone in Robert Downey Jr. who's been carrying (and set the tone for) the entire MCU franchise since the success of Iron Man. It's no coincidence that he's the highest paid actor in the Disney stable and they try to shoehorn his appearance into nearly every project regardless of whether he steals the spotlight from the other characters.

You could argue that without him playing Tony Stark, the MCU would be a in very different place (tonally and critically) right now. Only time will tell if Bin Affique can achieve a similar result for WB/DC.

>They created a formula
What exactly is the formula?

Superheroes applied to the real world.

Marvel made some good movies, if a bit hit and miss. Average, at worst, and generally inoffensive.

Disney is the master of focusing on their audience and giving them exactly what their research and test screenings say that they want. They are the best at shilling, and (usually) know their audience.

They try to actually give people what they want.

Alan Moore's Watchmen?

Sarcasm, quips and a general self-awareness at their own absurdity. You can see a difference between Marvel's early films where they tried to be more serious (i.e. The Incredible Hulk) compared to their later projects where they abandoned that aspect altogether (Winter Soldier being an exception).

Yes, because Civil War had no serious moments in it whatsoever, and when Thor's mom died it was handled with merry quips.

SUPERKEKS ON SUICIDE WACH
IRONMAN 2 OWNS UR SHIT MOVIE

That is not what I expected you to answer, and isn't it what Nolan did with his Batman?

Watching a Marvel movie feels like reading a cape comic.
Watching a DC feels like watching a really bad movie trying to be deep.
Marvel is doing it right. DC is not.

I'd say Thor 2 and Ultron was worse than average, even by Marvel standards.

marvel makes movies that normies and sometimes everyone else enjoys....... DC does not do either of these

Nolan brought up the grimdark realism into it, Zack Snyder poisoned the brand failing to deliver that.

>marvel

The target audience for Marvel movies is 0-15 year olds.
The target audience for DC movies is 15-30 year olds.
Critics are told to judge keeping that in mind.

Ah yes, it's so much more mature to make movies trying to make mom freak.

Are you an imbecile? Incredible Hulk isn't popularly thought of or included with the MCU films. Avengers AoU was good. Iron Man 2 is the only underwhelming MCU film so far. Given how many they have, that is simply an incredible achievement, almost to the point where you can simply expect to see a good movie whenever you walk into the cinema. DC? They're fucking up, plain and simple, they don't have the love for the source material or the imagination to change it in a way that works.

>Avengers AoU was good
???

It had its moments but most of the seriousness of Civil War's premise (which I loved) was offset by an equal amount of jokes that kept getting thrown out at inappropriate moments like the airport fight which deflated all tension. The movie was a tonal mess that couldn't seem to decide what it wanted to be.

Judging from most reviews so far, Suicide Squad has the opposite problem of being too deep and mature for the audience. Appaerntly it's just a bunch of quips, one liners and cool action scenes strung together without any real story or character arcs whatsoever.

The world of the MCU is as far from the "real world" as possible and they don't even aim for it to be that way

Marvel uses metric. They spent years figuring out what does and doesn't work. Where DC just tries to copy Marvel.

>Appaerntly it's just a bunch of quips, one liners and cool action scenes strung together without any real story or character arcs whatsoever.

So they made an MCU movie?

Marvel avoids risks and avoids taking itself seriously. The films are so bland that there's nothing to really criticise and people just say "6/10 if you turn your brain off". Personally I don't think there has been a single good Disney Marvel film, but none of them were total train wrecks like BvS or SS either.

Personally I thought all their movies from Phase 2 except GotG was mediocre.

Best answer tobey honest.

maybe if DC would release something good they would get a decent review.

Marvel movies always have a solid plot and character arcs to hold the jokes and action scenes together. Suicide Squad is more like a caricature version of a MCU movie as seen through the lense of a hardcore DC fanboy.

>DC films are for intellectuals.

Marvel belongs to Disney, and americans will eat up almost anything Disney throws at them becuase muh childhood.

For a Disney movie to be critically panned, it needs so shitty that there is no way to make excuses for it, for example, chicken little.

1. Marvel build universe and people are interested in characters even if they are in worse movies

2. Marvel make simple funny action flicks which are judged by lesser standards than muh dark serious ""realistic"" symbolism-infested DC movies

>>DC films are for intellectuals.

more like people who think they are intellectuals

iron man was definitely good m8

Disney has far more reach in other media than WB.

I personally hated MoS but liked BvS. Haven't seen SS yet but from the comments it seems like harmless fun so I don't know what the fuss is about honestly. The DC universe is only improving in my eyes.

Because the marvel films are better as a whole. Is it that hard to understand stupid?

I'm not sure you know how nostalgia works, pham.

BvS was good in spite of a some issues. I don't care what critics say, it certainly deserved a better score than it got.

>Marvel movies always have a solid plot and character arcs to hold the jokes and action scenes together.

I disagree

I honestly have a hard time caring about any of the Avengers team (except maybe Norton's Hulk). They seem like a bunch of jerks. Even the villains are more sympathetic.

I think it's because DC usually tries to be more serious with their movies and so they get judged more seriously. Marvel movies are usually very light and more oriented at kids and adults who don't want to grow up. You can't really do wrong much with a superhero kids movie. DC tries more, but ultimately fails, which is more embarrassing.

That was before Disney wasn't it? Otherwise, yeah that'd be the one good Disney Marvel film (a solid 7/10).

This to be honest. Unambitious people hate ambition

Because Disney pays off reviewers

DC rushed their universe and failed. Marvel took their time.

To all the retards saying marvel paid off critics, the highest rated marvel movie is iron man 1, the first one. They were able to make a fantastic movie with a literally who super hero. DC couldn't make a good movie with fucking batman and superman.

Ultron was not good, everyone agrees on that. It's why whedon was cut

>Watching a Marvel movie feels like reading a cape comic

A really shit comic.

marvel movies are bad but easily digestible
dc movies are bad and obnoxious

>Iron Man 2 is the only underwhelming MCU film so far

aside from both thor movies, hulk, avengers 2, cap 1, iron man 3

Batman has been rebooted like 4 times in 20 years and the last saga was the most iconic one. Superman has been rebooted twice in the last 6 years. They are burnt out franchises. That's why they didn't do a solo Batfleck movie, it was going to fail no matter what. That's why Marvel failed with Hulk and Sony failed with fucking Spiderman, despite being two of the most popular Marvel characters. People get tired of the same characters being rebooted after a couple of years.

Considering this and the fact that BvS had all the critics against, its financial success is actually amazing.

It baffles me that DC shills see themselves as intellectuals but shitpost stuff seen ITT all the time. Do you guys even hear yourselves? WB literally owns both RT and DC and you still believe Disney paid critics off? How does the success of a DC movie hurt Marvel/Disney in any way? If anything, Marvel/Disney wants DC movies to succeed because they're all part of the same superhero bubble.

DCucks are autistic as hell.

>How does the success of a direct competitor hurt a company

Is this serious? I can't tell if you're shitposting or actually retarded.

This isn't Sony vs.Nintendo, Microsoft vs.Apple, or even Honda vs.Accord. Buying one of those products likely means you wont need their competitors product and that hurts the competitor.

This isn't the case for movies that happen to be in the same genre. The people seeing Marvel movies are the same people going to see DC movies. They're fucking movies. General audiences dont have brand loyalty to either one. They just want to see superheros fly around.

A DC movie failing hurts the genre as a whole and only hastens the possibility of the superhero movie bubble popping. So again autismo tell me, how does the success of a DC movie hurt Marvel at all? They dont even release their movies in the same time frame so they're not eating into each others box office.

Marvel movies are usually fun even if they aren't good. BvS and Iron Man 2 are bad movies, but at least Iron Man 2 is fun to watch and doesn't go full retard

>Not realizing the success of the MCU is what led to the birth of the DCEU

Oh DCucks.....

>are usually fun even if they aren't good
I want you to explain the logic that allows statements such as this appear true to you.

>DC films are for intellectuals

Actually, yeah, it really is like those. Marvel and DC aren't just movies, they're brands. There's endless amounts of merchandise - toys, comic books, shirts. There's even theme parks dedicated to each brand. People don't have unlimited income, and will definitely invest in one company more than the other. If you legitimately think that there is no competition between these companies then you are a fucking retard.

The DCU is currently 0/4

fixed

Hahaha. That pic, everytime

please sign the petition.

>change.org/p/someone-stop-marvel-from-paying-off-critics?recruiter=191651176&utm_source=petitions_show_components_action_panel_wrapper&utm_medium=copylink

Because nerds don't like risks in anything. Marvel knows how to please an audience and just does things by a formula.

DC tried a little bit with experimenting but fucking suck at writing and just ended up making boring shit movie. Now DC is just trying to copy Marvel but I guess failing at that too with Suicide Squad.

Marvel makes good movies and DC makes bad movies. Maybe they should try again in 50 years when everyone involved with DC today are either dead or retired and perhaps competent creators are at the helm. Then they can try for another cinematic universe.

We're specifically talking about movies which is different from actual tangible merchandise. There's different kinds of competition though. There is the kind where you need to outdo your competitor to win and there is the more mutual kind where you and your competitor keep each other on your toes. Marvel and DC movies subscribe to the latter because they are part of the same niche genre that is close to going out of style. One failing hurts the other. Again they dont even release their movies in the same time frame so if a DC movie fails it just means at general audiences are going to see whatever else is playing that weekend. This has no effect on Marvel's box office profits.

>it was going to fail no matter what
The exact opposite, it probably would've done great. Spider-Man and Hulk didn't fail because people were sick of them; they failed because they just weren't all that good.

Also they arent even direct competitors. They both make blockbusters so they're competing with every other studio making a blockbuster.

Marvel movies are for kids. DC movies are for nerds. Guess who will have more praise.

4?

Maybe he's counting Green Lantern. I remember them marketing it as the Star Wars of this generation.

If by "intellectuals" you mean intellectually bankrupt, then sure.

You fuck up enough times you get labelled a fuck up. It's like everything and everyone else in life, past results become future expectations.

A lot of it has to do with preconceptions.

Mainly because DC's IPs are essentially pop culture icons that people, regardless of whether they've ever read a comic or not, think they're familiar with. You tinker with those preconceptions and the public recoils, regardless of how closely those perceived alterations adhere to the spirit of the original source material. People are familiar with the concepts of Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman because they're firmly entrenched in the popular consciousness. The only MCU IPs that were close to that level of exposure were Spider-Man, the Hulk, and to a lesser degree, Captain America.

There have been multiple stories exploring the theme that not only can Superman not fix every problem, but also that he shouldn't. There have been stories focusing on what it would take to make the Batman cross his self-imposed moral code and the thin line that separates him from the villains he opposes. Comics readers are familiar with the concepts, but the public isn't; so when it's given to them, their reaction is polarized.

The MCU took lesser known IPs like Iron Man and stripped them of anything but the most superficial treatment of their darker themes. For example, Tony Stark in the comics is a largely unfunny womanizing alcoholic with a superiority complex, suffering from bouts of depression and reclusive withdrawal from society, basically Howard Hughes in a high-tech battle suit. Flashes of that are present in the films, but they're cursory and never the focus because actually exploring such themes, while interesting, isn't a guaranteed formula for box office bank.

In short, by not having access to many of their most familiar IPs, the MCU was able to give the public watered-down simulacra of their characters and wrap them in big, dumb fun, already homogenized for mass consumption. The only people who begrudge them at all are people who were already familiar with the characters. People like me.

FPBP chekt

But you play videogames, 2016 poster
you are intellectually bankrupt

This image was never more relevant

DC movies are compared to TDK.

marvel movies are compared to thor 2, iron man 2, etc.

Literally all that's happening here.

Actually

>"Nerd culture is the product of a late capitalist conspiracy, designed to infantalize the consumer as a means of non-aggressive control."
- Simon Pegg

>"A sweet-faced boy of twelve told me proudly that he had seen Star Wars over a hundred times? I said, 'do you think you could promise never to see Star Wars again?' He burst into tears. I just hope the lad, now in his thirties, is not living in a fantasy world of secondhand, childish banalities"
- Alec Guinness

>"I don't think they are making [comic book movies] an elevated art form, I think it's still just Batman running around in a stupid cape.. It's for kids, it's adolescent in its core. "
- David Cronenberg

>"I don't want to see or make films about super heroes that fly around in spandex and a cape solving the problems of the world. I think it's fine for children, children of all ages by the way, but it's not for me."
- William Friedkin

>“They have been poison, this cultural genocide, Because the audience is so overexposed to plot and explosions and shit that doesn’t mean nothing about the experience of being human.”
- Alejandro Iñárritu

>"Superman makes me vomit, Batman and all of that. That whole empire... this religion... It is so important that superheroes suffer... I don't give a damn, I shit on the United States."
- Alejandro Jodorowsky

>"To my mind, this embracing of what were unambiguously children's characters at their mid-20th century inception seems to indicate a retreat from the admittedly overwhelming complexities of modern existence"
- Alan Moore

>"The movies are for children but they don't want to admit that... There is a small group of fans that do not like comic sidekicks. They want the films to be tough like The Terminator, and they get very upset and opinionated about anything that has anything to do with being childlike."
- George Lucas

To be fair to the lucas quote, he said that after phantom menance, a movie where a literal blackface nigger alien spent the entire movie hurting itself and making high pitched whooping noises in response to anything that happened.

The issues weren't with childish elements, the issues were with elements only someone with legitimate mental retardation would enjoy.

DC Fanboys get what they deserve.

Because Marvel has established goodwill with critics, while Warner Bros:

>butchers theatrical cuts of their movies and then promises you a better Blu-Ray cut after you buy your ticket
>adapts some of the worst scripts of all time (Marvel's scripts are all competent while BvS had more plotholes than the entire MCU)
>DC isn't above making a 3-hour trailer for future movies rather than a real film (BvS)
>Horrible casting (Lex, Gadot)
>as long as Batman v superman exists, this universe and every movie that comes out is going to be under a microscope
>extremely poor and rushed universe building

fify

Not to mention how hard they try to imply [the next movie] will be a return to TDK form, every single time. Basically shooting themselves in the foot from the getgo by setting expectations to impossible levels for the people they're willing to pay to make their movies.

>low iq meme tourist that started actively using Sup Forums around may and cries on /qa/ about locals after leaving reddit
>fixing anything
Right